Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 20-06-2021, 15:51   #1981

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Interesting discussion/story in the Globe around workplaces mandating Covid-19 vaccinations:

Can your workplace mandate COVID-19 vaccinations?

I would agree with this analysis. In addition, most Human Rights legislation in this country requires a duty to accommodate where that legislation is applicable. The layout of particular workplaces may make that easier or be difficult and I'm sure that would be a factor. Pretty hard to require someone working from home to be vaccinated. There may also be some relevant Workers Compensation regulations, either already enacted or soon to be so - after all employers are required to keep a safe workplace. That definition will likely be restated by legislation in the near future - and it could well differ from province to province. Provinces have the jurisdiction for labour related matters except for a small subset of workers involved in international or interprovincial commerce ( historically about 10% of the workforce)
Old 21-06-2021, 09:50   #1982

Phase 1 of easing border measures for travellers entering Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ng-canada.html

The first phase of Canada's approach to easing border measures will begin on July 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, for fully vaccinated travellers who are eligible to enter Canada under the current travel restrictions. This phase will continue to restrict entry to Canada of foreign nationals, unless they already meet an exemption set out in the border restrictions, maintains pre- and on arrival testing for all travellers, and monitors for variants of concern.

Being fully vaccinated will not automatically exempt a traveller from quarantine, the mandatory hotel stay, or day-8 testing. Travellers must also electronically submit COVID-19-related information into ArriveCAN in advance of their arrival, meet the pre- and on-arrival test requirements, be asymptomatic, and have a suitable quarantine plan. Acceptable supporting proof of vaccination, as outlined below, is also required. Final determination regarding exemptions is made by a government representative at the border based on the information presented at the time of entry into Canada, which is why a quarantine plan is still required.
Old 21-06-2021, 11:36   #1983

This is really great news for Nova Scotia, hoping for a great summer.

HALIFAXNova Scotia is reporting no new cases of COVID-19 for the first time in almost three months.

Premier Iain Rankin said today in a statement the last time the daily caseload had dropped to zero was March 29.

Rankin says news of the declining infection rate marks "a great way to begin summer."

He is also encouraging Nova Scotians to follow public health measures and get fully vaccinated as soon as possible.

Nova Scotia has 79 active reported cases of COVID-19, including three people recovering in hospital — one of them in intensive care.

Dr. Robert Strang, the province's chief medical officer of health, says Nova Scotians should be proud of their efforts to reduce the number of COVID-19 infections.

"But please don't let your guard down," he said in a statement. "We need to continue to follow the public health measures, get tested often and get vaccinated until we get to Phase 5 of our reopening."

Since April 1, the province has reported 4,049 COVID-19 cases and 24 deaths linked to the novel coronavirus.
Old 22-06-2021, 03:08   #1984
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Phase 1 of easing border measures for travellers entering Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ng-canada.html
Some international travel restrictions easing for fully vaccinated people with proof
Fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents will be able to enter Canada without undergoing quarantine starting the night of July 5, the federal government announced today.
According to officials at a government briefing for journalists, those entering will need to show documents proving they received doses of vaccines approved in Canada at least 14 days prior to entering the country.
Officials said travellers must electronically submit COVID-19-related information to the government's ArriveCAN app before arriving, meet the pre- and on-arrival test requirements, be asymptomatic and have a suitable quarantine plan.
More ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ful...july-1.6073480

ArriveCAN ➥ https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...arrivecan.html

Old 22-06-2021, 14:26   #1985

Boat: Hunter 386

What intrigues me is not so much that they have applied special rules to NB but that they are setting a precedent that they can apply special rules. What happens when the international borders open again? Will they be able to defy the Feds and cherry pick which visitors are allowed?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/corona...2021-1.6074918

Quote:
Nova Scotia reported two new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday as it announced it's opening its provincial boundaries on Wednesday to travellers from the Atlantic provinces, but with modified rules for those coming from New Brunswick.

The province says New Brunswick travellers can enter for any reason but will have isolation requirements based on their vaccination status and testing.

The move comes after New Brunswick last week became the first province in the region to reopen borders to Canadian travellers without requiring them to self-isolate as long as they have had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Nova Scotia is set to open its borders to travellers from outside the Atlantic region starting June 30, with the same isolation rules that will apply to those from New Brunswick. Only essential travel from outside the Atlantic region is currently permitted.
Old 24-06-2021, 07:14   #1986

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

We've been cruising around Desolation Sound and adjacent waters for the past few weeks while waiting for our second Covid shot date in Powell River (lastTuesday. Yay!!!) - and I've been noticing something I've never noticed before: quite a few boats with no name, license numbers, or home port (or port of registry) showing anywhere. Some are flying Canadian flags (easily available anywhere or by mail order) but most are flying nothing.

I wonder what is going on.
Old 24-06-2021, 07:59   #1987

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
We've been cruising around Desolation Sound and adjacent waters for the past few weeks while waiting for our second Covid shot date in Powell River (lastTuesday. Yay!!!) - and I've been noticing something I've never noticed before: quite a few boats with no name, license numbers, or home port (or port of registry) showing anywhere. Some are flying Canadian flags (easily available anywhere or by mail order) but most are flying nothing.

You got to wonder — if your suspicions are accurate — why people would take the risk. Border guards scare me...a less restrained branch of the oppressive state apparatus there is not
Old 24-06-2021, 09:08   #1988

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

[QUOTE=Scorpius;3432433]We've been cruising around Desolation Sound and adjacent waters for the past few weeks while waiting for our second Covid shot date in Powell River (lastTuesday. Yay!!!) - and I've been noticing something I've never noticed before: quite a few boats with no name, license numbers, or home port (or port of registry) showing anywhere. Some are flying Canadian flags (easily available anywhere or by mail order) but most are flying nothing.

I wonder what is going on.[/QUOTE

It's intriguing and I'd be interested to know myself.

Sitting here just yards from the border with Point Roberts, Galiano Is. and Ladysmith on the horizon I'd be interested to know how they did it. The scrutiny on both sides is pretty intense. Last summer some friends tested the waters, as it were and sailed towards Tsawwassan. As they approached what their chartplotter told them was the border a US agency boat approached them and told them to turn around (they told me at the time which one it was but I've forgotten). We've heard similar stories all year but that's the only first person story I've heard.

I have seen one BC boat leaving the guest dock and heading out and wondered how they managed it.

Our normally sleepy marina is chockablock full with boats waiting for the happy day we can all head north. I haven't seen so many boats with a homeport of Seattle since the last boat show.

So if boats are getting across it must be some word of mouth, underground railroad thing. I'm not hooked up to the gossip mill, but I do hear the big stuff and a secret way to cross the border would probably find me.

Still, you're right, very strange.
Old 24-06-2021, 09:36   #1989

I think Desolation Sound (which has been very empty this year and last - we were the ONLY boat in Laura's Cove - which is unheard of) is quite the magnet for a lot of sailors.

Captain Vancouver sure got it wrong when he named it! His description of the area in his log is indeed very depressing. I think I heard somewhere he wasn't feeling well at the time.
Old 24-06-2021, 09:56   #1990

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:

How big are these boats? Small boats running around with 9.9HP or less engines do not need to be named, numbered, licenced or registered in Canada.
Old 24-06-2021, 09:59   #1991

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

My favorite is off Lancelot Arm. Called Isobel Cove?, Bay? Harbour? We spent 5 heavenly days there with only a couple of other boats, although not strictly in Desolation Sound proper which was very crowded everywhere we went.
Old 24-06-2021, 09:59   #1992

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

Maybe it's a bunch of new boaters who don't know they are supposed to be licensed or registered, and don't understand the protocols around flags.
Old 24-06-2021, 10:27   #1993

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Maybe it's a bunch of new boaters who don't know they are supposed to be licensed or registered, and don't understand the protocols around flags.

It seems to be the same in the marina i live in. All of a sudden all the registration numbers and boat home ports have disappeared.

Why are the coast guard out not giving warnings about this?. Try finding the

Owner of the boat years from now when they are lying abandoned on some mooring. I know as it some i have tried, boats go through a dozen owners and the original owner is the only one on the coast guard records.
Old 24-06-2021, 10:48   #1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
How big are these boats? Small boats running around with 9.9HP or less engines do not need to be named, numbered, licenced or registered in Canada.
30', 40'+ both power and sail - all, I'm confident, with engines considerably bigger than 10hp. I know the Canadian rules and would not have written the post had it been little stuff. Besides, considering the tides, currents, and remoteness of the area, we don't see too many boats here with less than 10hp except tenders - and I wasn't commenting on them.
Old 24-06-2021, 10:59   #1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
It seems to be the same in the marina i live in. All of a sudden all the registration numbers and boat home ports have disappeared.

Why are the coast guard out not giving warnings about this?. Try finding the

Owner of the boat years from now when they are lying abandoned on some mooring. I know as it some i have tried, boats go through a dozen owners and the original owner is the only one on the coast guard records.
My understanding is that the Canadian Coast Guard does not have law enforcement powers - although they sometimes carry aboard RCMP or Fisheries officers who do. The idea is not to alienate the public and thus interfere with their primary mission: search and rescue.