Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 24-06-2021, 11:05   #1996

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Maybe it's a bunch of new boaters who don't know they are supposed to be licensed or registered, and don't understand the protocols around flags.
Actually, if they ARE Canadian boats in Canada, I don't there's a requirement, legal or informal, to fly the Canadian flag. Yesterday I was speaking with the owner/captain of a beautiful, immaculate 1938 40' launch who flies the old red ensign of the period.
Old 24-06-2021, 11:16   #1997

Quote:
Maybe it's a bunch of new boaters who don't know they are supposed to be licensed or registered, and don't understand the protocols around flags.
Could be. Except for the RCMP out looking for American boats last summer (and there wasn't a lot of that. We only saw them twice) there's very, very little law enforcement on the water around here outside of Vancouver Harbour. The Harper government cut budgets to the bone and one way the RCMP responded was to cut operational funding (read fuel) for their patrol fleet. Those big Mann diesels are thirsty! Some local detachments have RHIB's but they are rarely out except on lovely summer days when the guys want to get out of their cruisers!
Old 24-06-2021, 11:25   #1998

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
30', 40'+ both power and sail - all, I'm confident, with engines considerably bigger than 10hp. I know the Canadian rules and would not have written the post had it been little stuff. Besides, considering the tides, currents, and remoteness of the area, we don't see too many boats with less than 10hp except tenders - and I wasn't commenting on them.
I was just asking ... Despite tides and currents, a bit further south I see lots of 25-30ft sailboats (but not powerboats) with 8-9.9HP engines, even some (mostly semi derelict) 40+ sailboats. Most of the better maintained ones do have names though.
Old 24-06-2021, 11:27   #1999

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Actually, if they ARE Canadian boats in Canada, I don't there's a requirement, legal or informal, to fly the Canadian flag. Yesterday I was speaking with the owner/captain of a beautiful, immaculate 1938 40' launch who flies the old red ensign of the period.
I'm not sure about legal, but flying your country's flag is certainly standard practice all the areas I've cruised. I thought there was some reg. that required it, but I could certainly be wrong.

Quote:
Could be. Except for the RCMP out looking for American boats last summer (and there wasn't a lot of that. We only saw them twice) there's very, very little law enforcement on the water around here outside of Vancouver Harbour. The Harper government cut budgets to the bone and one way the RCMP responded was to cut operational funding (read fuel) for their patrol fleet. Those big Mann diesels are thirsty! Some local detachments have RHIB's but they are rarely out except on lovely summer days when the guys want to get out of their cruisers!
Yeah, I guess that's an issue everywhere. It could very well be as you suspect. You could make a call to the local authorities if you really believe these are foreign boats flaunting the law.
Old 24-06-2021, 11:34   #2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I was just asking ... Despite tides and currents, a bit further south I see lots of 25-30ft sailboats (but not powerboats) with 8-9.9HP engines, even some (mostly semi derelict) 40+ sailboats. Most of the better maintained ones do have names though.
True enough.
Old 24-06-2021, 11:38   #2001

Quote:
I'm not sure about legal, but flying your country's flag is certainly standard practice all the areas I've cruised. I thought there was some reg. that required it, but I could certainly be wrong.
I don't believe it's a legal requirement for a Canadian boat within Canada - and there are lots of boats around here that don't fly the flag. They're expensive!
Old 24-06-2021, 12:26   #2002

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

Its definitely not a requirement to fly a flag here - We haven't had a canadian flag since ours shredded in the winter, all the while cruising all over BC.

I'm really hoping this border stuff gets sorted soon - We're supposed to head down to california in August.
Old 24-06-2021, 12:51   #2003

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I don't know if it applies to unregistered (or optionally registered) pleasure craft, but this is the flag rule...
Quote:
Right to fly Canadian flag
64 (1) A Canadian vessel has the right to fly the Canadian flag.

Obligation to fly flag
(2) The master of a Canadian vessel, other than one registered in the small vessel register, shall ensure that it flies the Canadian flag
(a) when signalled to do so by a government vessel or a vessel under the command of the Canadian Forces; or
(b) when entering or leaving, or while moored at or anchored in, a port.
Old 24-06-2021, 14:24   #2004

Quote:
I don't know if it applies to unregistered (or optionally registered) pleasure craft, but this is the flag rule...

Obligation to fly flag
(2) The master of a Canadian vessel, other than one registered in the small vessel register, shall ensure that it flies the Canadian flag
(a) when signalled to do so by a government vessel or a vessel under the command of the Canadian Forces; or
(b) when entering or leaving, or while moored at or anchored in, a port..
Interesting. Is the "Small Vessel Register" the one that keeps track of "licensed" vessels? - as opposed to those federally registered?

And is "port" only those places with a federal Port Authority? Or anywhere with any port authority? Or anywhere where you might tie up or put the hook down? - like here in Squirrel Cove?

If so, I guess we should be flying the flag more often - despite the replacement cost!
Old 24-06-2021, 14:29   #2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qismat View Post
Its definitely not a requirement to fly a flag here - We haven't had a canadian flag since ours shredded in the winter, all the while cruising all over BC.

I'm really hoping this border stuff gets sorted soon - We're supposed to head down to california in August.
My guess is the US/Canada border will re-open July 21, August 21 at the latest. Pressure to re-open it is growing and the reasons to keep it closed are rapidly diminishing - although the variants might have some impact on the decision.
Old 24-06-2021, 14:34   #2006

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
My guess is the US/Canada border will re-open July 21, August 21 at the latest. Pressure to re-open it is growing and the reasons to keep it closed are rapidly diminishing - although the variants might have some impact on the decision.
I suspect that there could be an issue when Canadian tax rates are substantially higher than US rates. Already higher for first jabs with second coming on strong. It will be a horror show trying to determine who has had their two shots, in particular for Americans where some states actively thwart anything resembling a vaccination passport.
Old 24-06-2021, 14:36   #2007

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I suspect that there could be an issue when Canadian tax rates are substantially higher than US rates. Already higher for first jabs with second coming on strong. It will be a horror show trying to determine who has had their two shots, in particular for Americans where some states actively thwart anything resembling a vaccination passport.
That typo threw me for a loop then made me laugh out loud. Darn Canadian tax rates...
Old 24-06-2021, 18:07   #2008

Quote:

Obligation to fly flag
We're currently anchored in Squirrel Cove on the NW corner of Desolation Sound. I can see definitively whether 19 transient (not counting the two scruffy live-aboards clearly permanently moored) boats (presumably all Canadian) are flying flags or not. Thirteen are flying the Canadian flag (two improperly - via spreader halyards like a Courtesy Flag except too big) and six are not.
Old 24-06-2021, 19:33   #2009

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

Obligation to fly flag

Sounds like flying the maple leaf is not a requirement for Canadian pleasure craft in Canada, but it is still a right. I've always thought it was part of being a good mariner, but I guess like many things, local practices differ.
Old 25-06-2021, 03:46   #2010
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Thunder Bay's COVID-19 turnaround 'incredible,' district medical officer of health says as cases approach 0
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...2021-1.6078517