Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 25-06-2021, 05:52   #2011

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Interesting. Is the "Small Vessel Register" the one that keeps track of "licensed" vessels? - as opposed to those federally registered?

And is "port" only those places with a federal Port Authority? Or anywhere with any port authority? Or anywhere where you might tie up or put the hook down? - like here in Squirrel Cove?

If so, I guess we should be flying the flag more often - despite the replacement cost!
The "Small Vessel Register" keeps track of registered vessels not licensed vessels. If it did, I'd be able to find my dinghy in it ( its not there) as its licensed.
Old 25-06-2021, 07:18   #2012

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sounds like flying the maple leaf is not a requirement for Canadian pleasure craft in Canada, but it is still a right. I've always thought it was part of being a good mariner, but I guess like many things, local practices differ.

Flying a Canadian flag is much more difficult than most countries. / LClick image for larger version

Name:	Flag freeze.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	241000

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flag breeze.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	241001
Old 25-06-2021, 08:11   #2013

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Flying a Canadian flag is much more difficult than most countries. / LAttachment 241000

Too true
Old 25-06-2021, 22:30   #2014

Boat: Outbound 44

Old 26-06-2021, 07:07   #2015

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

Yep. I've certainly seen a few of those around.
Old 26-06-2021, 07:08   #2016

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:

I've heard things about BC.....
Old 26-06-2021, 09:02   #2017

Quote:
I've heard things about BC.....
A good friend of mine, now in his 70's, was born, raised, and continues to live on Lasquiti Island. He has some stories to tell.
Old 26-06-2021, 09:43   #2018

Quote:

Close enough .
Old 26-06-2021, 10:34   #2019

Quote:
If so, I guess we should be flying the flag more often - despite the replacement cost!
Quote:
Flying a Canadian flag is much more difficult than most countries. / LAttachment 241000

I am a relatively new Canadian permanent resident. I moved here from California to support my aging father-in-law in 2016. My observations have been that "attendance to flag etiquette" is substantially different in Canada than in the States.

Reflecting the situation in the first picture, I see Canadian flags up 24/7/365 and some, indeed most, have been up for lots of 365s.

Perhaps because of my Boy Scout and summer camp (not boy scout) time, none military-related, we were taught to bring the flag down at dusk and raise it in the morning. That does not seem to be the practice here.

I don't think it's a "local thing" nor one of lack of respect. It's just the way different countries established their approach to tending to equipment, in this case their flag. Doesn't mean one's better than the other.

For those who may be concerned about the cost of flags, perhaps taking it in at night and not leaving it up when not on board will extend the life of it substantially. My dock neighbor, who pulled in in 2017 and has only been seen once since (after a major wind storm when they came to check their boat) has a tattered remnant still hanging. It's ugly, as are many others. I got over the "disrespect" attitude a long time ago.

Years ago, when we had to pay a lot of money for a new horseshoe buoy (in the US), my wife said, "Hey, bozo, if we bring it down below when we're not on the boat, maybe it'll last longer!" Bozo complied and it still looks new. So does my 2017 Canadian flag.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 26-06-2021, 12:22   #2020

Just now coming north through the Yuculta rapids we were passed by the Nordic Tug "Sunday" out of Shelter Bay, Washington (where ever that is). Their AIS gave them away.

They are not flying a flag and I'm pretty sure that they were at anchor with us in Squirrel Cove last night. Their inflatable dinghy propped up on the swimgrid conveniently hides their name and home port. I was only able to read it with binoculars on the angle when they were right beside us.

Presumably they are on their way to Alaska with minimum stops and no loitering.
Old 26-06-2021, 12:47   #2021

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Presumably they are on their way to Alaska with minimum stops and no loitering.
Maybe owned by a US citizen resident in Canada? Maybe also they've had a tough year having to explain to everyone they meet that they and their boat are legally in Canada? Maybe that's why they're happy to have the ID and flag obscured.

Since you named and "shamed" them ... two quick stops on google tells me that this boat is registered to someone with the same name as a pleasure-craft insurance broker from Burnaby. Coincidence? Isn't the Canadian way to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise?
Old 26-06-2021, 13:09   #2022

Stu Jackson sez: "My observations have been that "attendance to flag etiquette" is substantially different in Canada than in the States."

You are absolutely right Stu :-) We have a much, much more "laid back" attitude to "patriotism". It goes all the way back to the Seven Year's War when no less a tory than Samuel Johnson said that "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel". So we try not to come across all spit'n'polish. Sort of like Canadians saying "Oh, sorry!" when somebody bumps them getting aboard a bus :-). We shuffle a bit when on parade. We can't quite get the lowering of the flag to take the same time it takes to blow "Sunset". And that's the way we like it :-)!

Now, in TrentePieds we DO, actually, observe the routine of the RCN as best we can. "Colours", happens at 0800 in summer at 0900 in winter. But, of course, with only MyBeloved and myself aboard, we'd look a bit ridiculous going for the whole ceremonial foofaraw :-)!

You will know [because you are just down the street from us :-)] at this time of the year it's light way past 2100. Therefore 2100 is the time we "put the queen to bed". Dear old girl needs her sleep :-) At times of the year when astronomical sunset happens prior to 2100, that time (actual sunset) is when we take in the colours.

And, of course, ever flying a tatty, ragged clout at any time is a no-no.

Cheers

TP
Old 26-06-2021, 13:40   #2023

Quote:
...out of Shelter Bay, Washington (where ever that is). ...................

Just south of La Conner, across the and at the south end of Swinomish Channel.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 26-06-2021, 14:08   #2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Reflecting the situation in the first picture, I see Canadian flags up 24/7/365 and some, indeed most, have been up for lots of 365s.

Perhaps because of my Boy Scout and summer camp (not boy scout) time, none military-related, we were taught to bring the flag down at dusk and raise it in the morning. That does not seem to be the practice here.

I was taught the same in (Canadian) Boy Scouts too. Yeah, we Canadians are a bit casual about flag etiquette. It wouldn't hurt if we did a bit better on that score. On boats and elsewhere.
Old 26-06-2021, 21:35   #2025

I remember my para-military training in the Boy Scouts of Canada, where we had to lower the flag at sunset, and fold it, and not let it touch the ground, and all that stuff. If that means something to you, I say, go fo it.

Personally, I just think it's part of good seamanship to fly your home flag, along with the courtesy flags of the areas you are a guest in.