Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 27-06-2021, 01:34   #2026
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

I think this is an important step in changing the mindset of defeating Covid, to living with it

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/s...c634e1658f6901
Old 27-06-2021, 01:42   #2027

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think this is an important step in changing the mindset of defeating Covid, to living with it

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/s...c634e1658f6901
Requires a cooperative population that is willing to number one get vaccinated and then to follow reasonable testing and isolation rules. Something very doable in Singapore, probably less so in the land of CF.
Old 27-06-2021, 05:21   #2028
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Requires a cooperative population that is willing to number one get vaccinated and then to follow reasonable testing and isolation rules. Something very doable in Singapore, probably less so in the land of CF.
I read it differently ....
An acceptance that we will not eradicate this virus and its mutations , but learn to live with it as we do with the flu.
Yes, Singapore is ideally suited to show by example that we can recover some semblance of normality
Old 27-06-2021, 05:32   #2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I read it differently ....
An acceptance that we will not eradicate this virus and its mutations , but learn to live with it as we do with the flu.
Yes, Singapore is ideally suited to show by example that we can recover some semblance of normality
How differently? Singapore will sometime in the future begin a new normal, accepting that C19 will always be around. They do this by having high vaccination rates, making most cases only minor sympotomatic, along with appropriate testing at choose sites like airports, etc and appropriaye isolation. Makes sense to me, but you have to have a cooperative population to get to the point where you can implement it. If Singapore had counties like the US has where 50% are reluctant to vaccinate, I doubt it would work.
Old 27-06-2021, 07:10   #2030

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
How differently? Singapore will sometime in the future begin a new normal, accepting that C19 will always be around. They do this by having high vaccination rates, making most cases only minor sympotomatic, along with appropriate testing at choose sites like airports, etc and appropriaye isolation. Makes sense to me, but you have to have a cooperative population to get to the point where you can implement it. If Singapore had counties like the US has where 50% are reluctant to vaccinate, I doubt it would work.
A couple of things:
1) the U.S. is not "the land of CF." (This is the Canadian thread after all )
2) I would hope that Canada will attain at least 75% vaccination. My guess is we will settle in around 81-82% but only time will tell.
3) Stating Singapore has a "cooperative" population is a bit misleading in my opinion. What they have (and a lot of Asian countries have) is a forceful (leadership-heavy?) government. If most of our politicians weren't clearly doofuses (doofae?) I might occasionally wish that for Canada

I think the article reflects a likely future. As you say it depends on some cooperation, but populations settle into a "new" normal faster than we imagine when it's made to seem to benefit us. I also think vaccination development will be ongoing and we will see if a year or two in the lab might not bring more single dose vaccinations or at least some public confidence.
Old 27-06-2021, 08:01   #2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
A couple of things:
1) the U.S. is not "the land of CF." (This is the Canadian thread after all )
2) I would hope that Canada will attain at least 75% vaccination. My guess is we will settle in around 81-82% but only time will tell.
3) Stating Singapore has a "cooperative" population is a bit misleading in my opinion. What they have (and a lot of Asian countries have) is a forceful (leadership-heavy?) government. If most of our politicians weren't clearly doofuses (doofae?) I might occasionally wish that for Canada

I think the article reflects a likely future. As you say it depends on some cooperation, but populations settle into a "new" normal faster than we imagine when it's made to seem to benefit us. I also think vaccination development will be ongoing and we will see if a year or two in the lab might not bring more single dose vaccinations or at least some public confidence.
As I understand it Canada only has a 5 to 10% vaccine hesitancy rate, so I'd say you guys fall into the cooperative category. Just need the leadership to make it happen.
Old 27-06-2021, 08:43   #2032
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
As I understand it Canada only has a 5 to 10% vaccine hesitancy rate, so I'd say you guys fall into the cooperative category. Just need the leadership to make it happen.
According to StatsCan:

Results from the Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS) for the period of September 1 to December 12, 2020 show that 76.9% of Canadians (excluding residents of the territories) aged 12 and older reported being somewhat or very willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

Multiple reasons exist for why some Canadians are feeling hesitant towards receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. From the Canadian Perspective Survey Series 3, collected in June 2020, the most common reasons were lack of confidence in the safety of the vaccine (54.2%) and concerns about its risks and side effects (51.7%) (Frank and Arim 2020). These sources of concerns may have changed since vaccine testing and approval stages, which demonstrated their safety and effectiveness for authorized groups (Government of Canada, 2021).

Although more than three-quarters of Canadians have indicated a willingness to receive the vaccine, there was some variation by province. Compared to the Canadian average, a higher proportion of residents living in Prince Edward Island (89.1%), Nova Scotia (81.5%) and British Columbia (81.4%) reported willingness. The differences between Canada and all other provinces were not statistically significant.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../00011-eng.htm

According to Abacus Data:

Today, 8% of Canadian adults say they will never take a vaccine for Covid-19. A majority (64%) either have already had a shot or will take one as soon as it is available to them.

This leaves 28% who currently say they would “prefer to wait a bit to see how the vaccine works out as others take it”, or “would prefer not to take one, but could be persuaded to”.

https://abacusdata.ca/vaccine-hesitancy-canada/

Old 27-06-2021, 08:52   #2033

Gord
I got my data from here
Quote:
But about five to 10 per cent of adult Canadians have told pollsters they do not plan to get vaccinated. A recent survey by Leger for Postmedia found 10 per cent of British Columbians are not vaccinated, with five per cent on the fence, and five per cent saying they won’t get the vaccine.
Old 27-06-2021, 09:21   #2034
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Gord
I got my data from here
From your linked Vancouver Sun [via MSVN] article:
“... A recent survey by Leger for Postmedia found 10 per cent of British Columbians are not vaccinated, with five per cent on the fence, and five per cent saying they won’t get the vaccine...” [5% + 5% = 10%]

However, my reading of the actual polling statistics* suggest a significantly higher hesitancy/mistrust rate.
*https://2g2ckk18vixp3neolz4b6605-wpe...ustMay2021.pdf

Old 27-06-2021, 14:40   #2035

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Up to date data.https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-ros...080000460.html
Old 27-06-2021, 21:02   #2036

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I remember my para-military training in the Boy Scouts of Canada, where we had to lower the flag at sunset, and fold it, and not let it touch the ground, and all that stuff. If that means something to you, I say, go fo it.

Personally, I just think it's part of good seamanship to fly your home flag, along with the courtesy flags of the areas you are a guest in.
I too served my time in the Canadian Boy Scouts and was a scoutmaster with a Sea Scout troop for many years - and learned all the "right" ways to do everything. Certainly offshore I am careful to fly the Maple Leaf and courtesy flags appropriately - the courtesy flag always somewhat above our national flag. But, at home? I'm a little more relaxed.

I AM Canadian. I KNOW I'm Canadian. I don't have to wear it on my sleeve.
Old 27-06-2021, 21:22   #2037

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Maybe owned by a US citizen resident in Canada? Maybe also they've had a tough year having to explain to everyone they meet that they and their boat are legally in Canada? Maybe that's why they're happy to have the ID and flag obscured.

Since you named and "shamed" them ... two quick stops on google tells me that this boat is registered to someone with the same name as a pleasure-craft insurance broker from Burnaby. Coincidence? Isn't the Canadian way to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise?
It used to be illegal for a Canadian to drive a US-registered car in Canada. I don't know if it still is. The reason: tax evasion. If a Canadian went down to Oregon, bought a car, and registered it there, then brought it to Canada and continued to drive it with Oregon plates, he'd pay a lot less and avoid (evade?) paying a lot of (Canadian) tax. You know: the money that pays for our universal health care?

If the same is not true for boats, it should be. I pay my Canadian taxes honestly and would rather others do too. Fair taxation is one of the bedrocks of a functional democracy.
Old 27-06-2021, 21:35   #2038

Scorpius said: "I AM Canadian. I KNOW I'm Canadian. I don't have to wear it on my sleeve."

Précisément!

TrentePieds
Old 27-06-2021, 21:40   #2039

Boat: Rafiki 37
Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I too served my time in the Canadian Boy Scouts and was a scoutmaster with a Sea Scout troop for many years - and learned all the "right" ways to do everything. Certainly offshore I am careful to fly the Maple Leaf and courtesy flags appropriately - the courtesy flag always somewhat above our national flag. But, at home? I'm a little more relaxed.

I AM Canadian. I KNOW I'm Canadian. I don't have to wear it on my sleeve.

The reason we fly a home flag is to let others know our boat's nationality. You always know you're Canadian, no matter where you go. But others don't. So I don't see how it matters where you are.

I didn't mean to hit a nerve here. If you don't want to fly the Maple Leaf in home waters, that's your choice. I was taught it's just good seamanship to do so, but local customs clearly differ. All good.

ADD: To be clear, flying your home flag has nothing to do about being braggadocios. It's just about communication to others.

ADD2: Completely agree about paying taxes. We should all feel happy to pay in. It is indeed the price of a civilized society.
Old 27-06-2021, 21:48   #2040

Sorpius said: "Fair taxation is one of the bedrocks of a functional democracy."

One of the last things my father said to me the last time I saw him was this: "I used to bitch and complain about the taxes they made me pay. Now I'm glad the bastards made me do it!"

The back story is that my mother had had a long and difficult period of deterioration before she died. All care including housekeeping beyond her strength or my father's had been supplied by the Danish equivalent of our municipal authorities free of charge, as was, of course, all medical care including nursing care in her own home. My father lived on for a number of years, and as he declined, care was provided for him as it had been for my mother so he could remain in his own home until the very last.

A sage, whose identity escapes me just now, said "Taxes is the price you pay for living in a civilized society"

TP