Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 02:33   #2041
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Toronto sets North American record for most doses administered in a day at a clinic
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/corona...2021-1.6082103

Old 28-06-2021, 02:51   #2042
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nearly 30 per cent of respondents broke COVID-19 restrictions: Canada-wide survey

Almost 30 per cent of respondents, in a newly released Canada-wide survey, admitted to breaking COVID-19 rules — and felt justified doing so.

The survey by the Canadian Hub for Applied and Social Research at the University of Saskatchewan was done between June 1 and June 14. It asked 1,000 people about how closely they stuck to public health orders, and where they were getting their information about the pandemic.

Some 29 per cent said they broke at least one COVID-19 restriction. The most common transgressions were around gathering limits and wearing masks.

Of the people who broke rules, 62 per cent said they felt it was justified. Their reasons included wanting to see friends and family (27 per cent) and a belief that they were violating restrictions in a safe way (17 per cent). Some said they ignored rules they didn't think made any sense (21 per cent) and seven per cent said they didn't believe the pandemic exists or is a problem.

The survey found that 35 per cent of people were getting their COVID-19 news from social media — particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram — and 71 per cent were getting news by word of mouth.

The greatest number of people — 88 per cent — were getting their news from online or TV news outlets, and 70 per cent also informed themselves through government websites.

More ➥ https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...da-wide-survey

Old 28-06-2021, 12:23   #2043

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Nearly 30 per cent of respondents broke COVID-19 restrictions: Canada-wide survey
Sounds about right. I'm sure I've broken the rules more than a few times over the past year and a half. But as with most decisions I make, I'm good a justifying my choices .
Old 28-06-2021, 12:58   #2044

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sounds about right. I'm sure I've broken the rules more than a few times over the past year and a half. But as with most decisions I make, I'm good a justifying my choices .
I think the irony of the whole situation was the rules were there primarily for those who were too stupid to know why the rules were there.

If you could understand the why (and acted accordingly) then the rules themselves seemed slightly supercilious.
Old 29-06-2021, 05:55   #2045
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Canada’s COVID-19 death toll could be thousands higher than official count

In a new report [1] published Tuesday by the Royal Society of Canada, researchers estimate that between Feb. 1 and Nov. 28, 2020, around 6,000 deaths of people aged 45 and older caused directly by COVID-19 have gone uncounted in the official statistics.
In total, around two-thirds of COVID-19’s real death toll may have been missed, the report suggests.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: https://rsc-src.ca/sites/default/fil...PB%20ES_EN.pdf
“It is widely assumed that 80 per cent of Canada’s deaths due to COVID-19 occurred among older adult residents of long-term care homes, a proportion double the 40-per-cent average of peer countries in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). But an indepth analysis of all deaths that have so far been reported across Canada during the pandemic casts doubt on this estimate. It reveals evidence that at least two thirds of the deaths caused by COVID-19 in communities outside of the long-term care sector may have been missed ...”

[1] “Excess All-Cause Mortality During the COVID-19 Epidemic in Canada”
https://rsc-src.ca/sites/default/files/EM%20PB_EN.pdf

Old 29-06-2021, 07:46   #2046

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I think the irony of the whole situation was the rules were there primarily for those who were too stupid to know why the rules were there.

If you could understand the why (and acted accordingly) then the rules themselves seemed slightly supercilious.

Well said!! The "rules/legislation" did not appear until we were several months into the pandemic-under voluntary suggested cautions.
Legislation became necessary only because of conspiracy theorists & social media medical "experts".
Len
Old 29-06-2021, 07:49   #2047

Australia is teaching us about the value of vaccination,especially against the impending Delta varient. / Len

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-austr...D&xtor=ES-213-[BBC%20News%20Newsletter]-2021June29-[top+news+stories]
Old 29-06-2021, 07:54   #2048

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Australia is teaching us about the value of vaccination,especially against the impending Delta varient. / Len

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-austr...D&xtor=ES-213-[BBC%20News%20Newsletter]-2021June29-[top+news+stories]
Huh, I was literally just reading that article. It was a real wtf moment when I hit the part about vaccination rate. Looking at New Zealand's place on the graph makes me wonder if they are going to get smacked upside the head after all despite all they managed to do.

Hopefully our own place on that chart will soon be rising—seems even here in conservative AB that the push for 2nd vaccination is gaining ground.
Old 29-06-2021, 08:13   #2049

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post

Too true. The information was pretty clear from the early days; treat this like a nasty flu. Keep distance, wash your hands, cover your cough (with your sleeve), don't congregate -- especially not inside.

If people had behaved reasonably and responsibly then few of the draconian rules and lockdowns would have been necessary. But we proved once again that too many of us aren't very good at putting the needs of the many over the needs of the few, or the one.

Makes me wonder how we compare to previous generations who seem to have been able to sacrifice so much for so many -- or maybe that's just waxing nostagically.
Old 29-06-2021, 08:51   #2050

Boat: Farrier F-22
Send a message via Skype™ to fugue137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
They will forever be recognized as the flaky rich couple who brazenly jumped the queue for vaccines. Rodney and Ekaterina Baker, if you're keeping track. That's probably a significant penalty by itself, in Canada anyway.
I have a hard time seeing any problem with jumping the queue for vaccines. The best way to end a pandemic is for people who will contact many other people to be first in line. Yes, even if they're doing so illegally, if the government can't effectively control that. Vaccinating old people first might have good optics at first glance, and would make some sense if covid were, um, not contagious.

Breaking quarantine rules, though... that should be punishable by prison time. So should private jets---climate change will do infinitely more harm than covid will. And as you say, a fine that can bankrupt some people is meaningless to others, so just fining people is the same as saying "xxx is illegal for the peasantry". Canada does better here than the USA does because our wealth gap is smaller, but apparently it's not small enough. When anyone who wants to can have a sailboat, then the wealth gap is small enough
Old 29-06-2021, 08:58   #2051

Boat: Farrier F-22
Send a message via Skype™ to fugue137

Quote:
Yup, never made any scientific sense. It was, and still is, a purely punitive measure aimed at discouraging travel. Bad policy...
It could be argued that:
  1. Air travel necessarily involves sharing air with a lot of unrelated people for a significant period of time. Driving doesn't.
  2. If hotel capacity is limited (I have no idea if this is the case), then more stringent measures for higher-risk people makes sense.
I'm still waiting to hear of a country that counts time spent at sea while sailing toward the country as part of your quarantine period.
Old 29-06-2021, 09:28   #2052

Quote:
Too true. The information was pretty clear from the early days; treat this like a nasty flu. Keep distance, wash your hands, cover your cough (with your sleeve), don't congregate -- especially not inside.

If people had behaved reasonably and responsibly then few of the draconian rules and lockdowns would have been necessary. But we proved once again that too many of us aren't very good at putting the needs of the many over the needs of the few, or the one.

Makes me wonder how we compare to previous generations who seem to have been able to sacrifice so much for so many -- or maybe that's just waxing nostagically.

Previous to 1970 ish??.Canadians were not bombarded with "shock and awe" multi channel/multi source,questionable source,sometimes downright fake/false media brainwashing.
We could actually trust respected sources of news to research & get most of the facts correct.
The adult public acted responsibly for the most part because that is how they were brought up. Their parents & grandparents had been thru 2 wars & a 10 yr depression.They were too busy scratching to feed themselves to be concerned over detail beyond their neighbourhood.
Then came the economic boom of the '70s,which funded a major change in society's priorities.
No judgement by me-it just happened.
Today,many middle class folks feel they are $$ independant & do not need anybody else-hence-why care about others.
This too will pass.
Me & mine have had our two jabs. I recommend everyone else get theirs,but it is not my place to force you. Deal with Darwin if you prefer.
Cheers/Len
Old 29-06-2021, 09:34   #2053

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugue137 View Post
I have a hard time seeing any problem with jumping the queue for vaccines.
... are you Canadian? No-one gets hissier faster than Canadians when there's queue-jumping

Seriously, at the time of that particular transgression, the government (like most) was working flat out to achieve the balance between an equitable yet well-targeted distribution of an initially-limited number of vaccines. So the optics of an obviously young healthy and wealthy couple, defying a travel ban to sneak out to the boonies and flying up to horn in on an isolated community's vaccine clinic.... well, we're just not having it! C'mon, it was a jerk move...

CF also got hissy early on when one well-off member thought it would be ok if the rich could pay to get vaccinated sooner. Flaunted privilege doesn't play so well during a pandemic.
Old 29-06-2021, 09:48   #2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
It used to be illegal for a Canadian to drive a US-registered car in Canada. I don't know if it still is. The reason: tax evasion. If a Canadian went down to Oregon, bought a car, and registered it there, then brought it to Canada and continued to drive it with Oregon plates, he'd pay a lot less and avoid (evade?) paying a lot of (Canadian) tax. You know: the money that pays for our universal health care?

If the same is not true for boats, it should be. I pay my Canadian taxes honestly and would rather others do too. Fair taxation is one of the bedrocks of a functional democracy.

"I don't know if it still is."

No it's not. We moved to BC in 2016 to support my ailing f-i-l. We drove up in 2 cars with California plates. It took us a while, but we ended up legally importing both cars. It required taking them back across the border for at least 2 days,, then returning to Canada, with appropriate paperwork done at the border in both directions. Then we had them modified to have the headlights work during the day and then new licenses at ICBC.

I also sailed my California State licensed boat here, and legally imported it in 2017.

My wife is a Canadian citizen, dual passports, I am an American, became a permanent resident in 2017.

It takes some effort, actually quite a bit.

It's simple: they now KNOW at the border, both for boats (when you check back in) and for cars.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 29-06-2021, 14:42   #2055

PEI passport app.

https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en...for-a-pei-pass