Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 29-06-2021, 16:37   #2056

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Someone at some point is going to challenge that as unconstitutional!
Old 29-06-2021, 16:47   #2057

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Someone at some point is going to challenge that as unconstitutional!

I can't see it standing once the pandemic is declared over, but I think NL's total ban on non-residents was tested in court and passed legal muster. This seems to stand on similar legal grounds.
Old 29-06-2021, 16:53   #2058

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I can't see it standing once the pandemic is declared over, but I think NL's total ban on non-residents was tested in court and passed legal muster. This seems to stand on similar legal grounds.
Yes our supreme courts seem to like ignoring our own charter which in Section 6 says we have mobility rights
Old 29-06-2021, 17:25   #2059

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Yes our supreme courts seem to like ignoring our own charter which in Section 6 says we have mobility rights

Perhaps that is what "notwithstanding" translates to-ie:the SC can rule as it desires?
Len
Old 29-06-2021, 17:52   #2060

Few of our constitutional rights are absolute. Sec. 6 is subject to a few provisions. And of course the Notwithstanding clause is a provision available to governments (not the courts) to override certain court rulings under specific sections.
Old 29-06-2021, 20:32   #2061

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

BC is moving to the next phase of its restart plan on Thursday. New cases have dropped dramatically, and hospitalizations have similarly declined. Now if the frigging heat wave would just disappear...

https://www.cheknews.ca/details-for-...-today-829552/
Old 30-06-2021, 05:20   #2062

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
BC is moving to the next phase of its restart plan on Thursday. New cases have dropped dramatically, and hospitalizations have similarly declined. Now if the frigging heat wave would just disappear...

yes, wow. The BC heatwave was the lead story on the Guardian and BBC websites this morning. It's killing like the 1st wave of COVID... hope it moves off soon.
Old 30-06-2021, 05:43   #2063
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
yes, wow. The BC heatwave was the lead story on the Guardian and BBC websites this morning. It's killing like the 1st wave of COVID... hope it moves off soon.
The heat wave is linked to a stalled kink in the jet stream ["heat dome"].

Occasionally, these weather patterns stall, becoming stationary “blocking events”, that keep a particular spate of weather in place, for an extended period of time. One such stalled-out high-pressure zone [basically a large dome of hot, dry weather] is now sitting atop the Pacific Northwest.

Overall, it’s known that climate change is likely to make such extreme events more common in the future.

We’re seeing these highs form more frequently, and more persistently. Extreme heat and extreme drought in the U.S. West, for example, can create a reinforcing cycle that exacerbates both.

And that poses many dangers for the planet, not least for human health. Recently, scientists reported [1], in Nature Climate Change, that 37 percent of heat-related deaths between 1991 and 2018 were attributable to human-caused climate change.

[1] “The burden of heat-related mortality attributable to recent human-induced climate change” ~ by A. M. Vicedo-Cabrera et al
https://www.nature.com/articles/s415...ciencenews.org

How to protect yourself from the health risks of high temperatures as 'heat dome' heads east
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/heat-...ther-1.6084839

Old 30-06-2021, 09:01   #2064

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:

Wah, wah, wah... at least you have an ocean to cool down in

Edmonton is sitting at 38° and this is a city where inhabitants start complaining at if it gets over 23°. Me? Well I keep using the word glorious and having lots of cold showers.

One more day to the big grand reopening here in Alberta. I predict the animosity between the camps is about to ramp up. Already the discourse is getting very "ad hominen" in regards to masks etc.
Old 30-06-2021, 09:09   #2065
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

In all, 60 heat records fell on Sunday in B.C. and 59 were toppled on Monday.
https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/weath...ries_e.html#BC

A 2020 study, published in the journal GeoHealth, found large increases in the number of premature deaths in the US each year, due to heat exposure, as the planet warms.
“The Effects of Heat Exposure on Human Mortality Throughout the United States” ~ by Drew Shindell et al
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7125937/

A 2018 study, shows that climate change is causing the summer's jet stream [fast-flowing air currents in the upper atmosphere that influence day to day weather] to behave oddly.
“Projected changes in persistent extreme summer weather events: The role of quasi-resonant amplification” ~ by Michael E. Mann et al
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/10/eaat3272

By the middle of this century [2036 to 2065], vast swaths of the US, that don't typically experience extreme heat, such as the upper Midwest region, and New England, are set to face severe heat on a regular basis, according to a 2019 study, from the Union of Concerned Scientists.
“Killer Heat in the United States - Climate Choices and the Future of Dangerously Hot Days” ~ by Kristina Dahl et al [UCS]
https://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default...ull-report.pdf

Old 30-06-2021, 09:35   #2066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
One more day to the big grand reopening here in Alberta. I predict the animosity between the camps is about to ramp up. Already the discourse is getting very "ad hominen" in regards to masks etc.
It's all about the Stampede, doncha know .

I'm in AB right now, down south (Pincher Creek). Way too hot for my liking, but at least it's not southern Ontario. There, these temps would be beyond brutal.
Old 30-06-2021, 11:44   #2067

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
BC is moving to the next phase of its restart plan on Thursday.
Yay ... I'll get to go see my boat again soon.
Old 30-06-2021, 11:49   #2068

Quote:

Edmonton is sitting at 38° and this is a city where inhabitants start complaining at if it gets over 23°. Me? Well I keep using the word glorious and having lots of cold showers.

Would that be Fahrenheit or Celsius scale?

Given that not many Edmontonian residences would NOT have air conditioning, I suspect a lot of people would go hang out at the West Edmonton Mall to stay cool and recreate at the World's Largest Indoor Wave Pool.

Here in Montana, our city of Dillon's brand new public outdoor water park built by the Jaycee's in the park across the street from my home which is mobbed with youngsters playing in all the misting devices and exercising athletic equipment. Pure joy to see the gathering of families near downtown enjoying the shade trees and all new picnic tables.
Old 30-06-2021, 12:23   #2069

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Would that be Fahrenheit or Celsius scale?

Given that not many Edmontonian residences would NOT have air conditioning, I suspect a lot of people would go hang out at the West Edmonton Mall to stay cool and recreate at the World's Largest Indoor Wave Pool.

Here in Montana, our city of Dillon's brand new public outdoor water park built by the Jaycee's in the park across the street from my home which is mobbed with youngsters playing in all the misting devices and exercising athletic equipment. Pure joy to see the gathering of families near downtown enjoying the shade trees and all new picnic tables.
Ummm.. Covid?

City pools are still closed although the Y's are open. WEM is still closed (and drained the last time I cruised through). And ya, air-con is still reasonably rare outside of cars.

Oh and yes its Celsius. Of all the metric measurements I think temperature has pretty uniformly been adopted by Canadians. Not so much weights and linear but most of us have even forgotten how to convert temps. But fwiw 38°C is ~ 100°F

EDIT:
I just checked and it seems the wave pool is open again. Place was borderline gross at the best of times though. Don't think I would be going there now.
Old 30-06-2021, 12:36   #2070

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:

Glad to hear AB is on the way to recovery Mac!
It's nearly time for a transfer payment. / Len