Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 13-07-2020, 09:20   #196

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

For the people arguing about masks being ineffective against aerosols - that's not the point.

The point of the mask isn't to really to stop YOU getting it, it's to prevent virus-laden droplets from your mouth spreading everywhere. A thing it does fairly well. Especially considering the effort/effectiveness ratio.
Old 13-07-2020, 10:12   #197

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
BTW, your "suggestion" was noted and I have disregarded as being rather worthless.
Well, indeed printer paper is a little rough? But it does work in a pinch and the article does provide some entertainment while you're on the head.

No, you see what the MSM does is put their own twist on it like this in the headline: "puts a 'nail in the coffin' in the idea of herd immunity"

That's not what the study says at all.

So in the end the MSM accomplished their goal. They tricked you into clicking on it with a catchy headline, put their own twist on it, they got their ad counts on the web page for ad revenue.

Next time, consider posting the link to the actual study instead. And review the comments of people who actually know what they're talking about. Such as:

Antibody responses are an example of humoral immunity and the authors correctly point out that there is also cellular immunity, mediated by T cells, which they have not studied. They do not clarify the distinction between primary and secondary immune responses, be they humoral or cellular. This has led to media headlines such as "Immunity to covid-19 could disappear in months, a new study suggests" (MIT Technical Review, July 13th). It would be important in the final manuscript the point out that primary responses usually prime. They prime the patient for a greatly expanded secondary response to even low subsequent exposures to the virus. In this context, it would be interesting to compare the response to new vaccines of naïve subjects and those who have recovered from a primary infection.

There is little doubt the Western MSM has mastered the "science" of deception. But if you want to tout science, then quote science. And the fact is, science does not currently know. It is still being studied with no conclusions as to "herd immunity".
Old 13-07-2020, 10:16   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Well, indeed printer paper is a little rough? But it does work in a pinch and the article does provide some entertainment while you're on the head.

No, you see what the MSM does is put their own twist on it like this in the headline: "puts a 'nail in the coffin' in the idea of herd immunity"

So in the end the MSM accomplished their goal. They tricked you into clicking on it with a catchy headline, put their own twist on it, they got their ad counts on the web page for ad revenue.

Next time, consider posting the link to the actual study instead. And review the comments of people who actually know what they're talking about. Such as:

Antibody responses are an example of humoral immunity and the authors correctly point out that there is also cellular immunity, mediated by T cells, which they have not studied. They do not clarify the distinction between primary and secondary immune responses, be they humoral or cellular. This has led to media headlines such as "Immunity to covid-19 could disappear in months, a new study suggests" (MIT Technical Review, July 13th). It would be important in the final manuscript the point out that primary responses usually prime. They prime the patient for a greatly expanded secondary response to even low subsequent exposures to the virus. In this context, it would be interesting to compare the response to new vaccines of naïve subjects and those who have recovered from a primary infection.

There is little doubt the Western MSM has mastered the "science" of deception. But if you want to tout science, then quote science. And the fact is, science does not currently know. It is still being studied with no conclusions as to "herd immunity".

MSM is not a Canadian thing. Please take this somewhere else.
Old 13-07-2020, 10:17   #199

New updates for Ontario;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ails-1.5647198
Old 13-07-2020, 10:45   #200

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
MSM is not a Canadian thing. Please take this somewhere else.
Here, here. It makes me giggle that our much-maligned "state-run" news agency is still more reliable by an order of magnitude than those of our American neighbours.

I will give CruisingCouple this though... pretty much every bit of information we've been supplied with comes with an agenda and it is up to us to filter through it. But it's also understandable. The government for example is not about presenting "facts", it's about managing the country. Mass psychology is completely different beast from individual psychology and a piece of datum you present to one person might set off a panic when released en masse to a group. I am not saying I enjoy being misled or misdirected, but I can appreciate the reasons behind it. Same thing stands for pretty much every group out there. If you don't think science and scientists are just as political then you are deceiving yourself more than they are deceiving you. Do your own work and we will all be better off.

But MSM (I actually had to look that up) as a force of misinformation in Canada? Not so much, unless you are addicted to American cable channels.
Old 13-07-2020, 12:06   #201

Brief video by Bill Nye:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1281209825343520774
Old 13-07-2020, 14:10   #202

Not a surprise: Canada and U.S. likely to extend ban on non-essential travel ban - sources

Canada and the United States are set to extend a ban on non-essential travel that was imposed to fight the coronavirus outbreak, although a final decision has not been taken, two Ottawa sources familiar with the matter said on Monday.
The ban, introduced in March, has been extended several times and is due to expire on July 21. The measure does not include trade.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau earlier told reporters talks between the two nations on the ban were continuing and said "We will have more to say later this week, I'm sure."

Doug Ford, premier of Ontario, Canada's most populous province, on Monday said the situation in Florida was "staggering" and "scary."

The chief medical officer in the Pacific province of British Columbia said last week there was no chance of non-essential travel with the United States this summer, given how widespread the virus was south of the border.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/canada-st...163037882.html
Old 13-07-2020, 14:15   #203

Least surprising thing I've read all day. I have not spoken with a single Canadian who wants that border open any time soon.
Old 13-07-2020, 14:30   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post

From the Business Insider article as was directly click through linked from Yahoo News:

"The study, which was carried out by scientists at King's College London and first reported by The Guardian, "puts another nail in the coffin of the dangerous concept of herd immunity," one of its authors said.

Snipets of the above referenced and linked to article reported by The Guardian:

“People are producing a reasonable antibody response to the virus, but it’s waning over a short period of time and depending on how high your peak is, that determines how long the antibodies are staying around,” said Dr Katie Doores, lead author on the study at King’s College London.
“Infection tends to give you the best-case scenario for an antibody response, so if your infection is giving you antibody levels that wane in two to three months, the vaccine will potentially do the same thing,” said Doores. “People may need boosting and one shot might not be sufficient.”

The study has implications for the development of a vaccine, and for the pursuit of “herd immunity” in the community over time.
The immune system has multiple ways to fight the coronavirus but if antibodies are the main line of defence, the findings suggested people could become reinfected in seasonal waves and that vaccines may not protect them for long.

There are four other types of coronavirus in widespread circulation, which cause the common cold. “One thing we know about these coronaviruses is that people can get reinfected fairly often,” said Prof Stuart Neil, a co-author on the study. “What that must mean is that the protective immunity people generate doesn’t last very long. It looks like Sars-Cov-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, might be falling into that pattern as well.”

Prof Jonathan Heeney, a virologist at the University of Cambridge, said the study confirmed a growing body of evidence that immunity to Covid-19 is short-lived. “Most importantly, it puts another nail in the coffin of the dangerous concept of herd immunity,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...study-suggests
Old 13-07-2020, 15:02   #205

Quote:
Least surprising thing I've read all day. I have not spoken with a single Canadian who wants that border open any time soon.
The pressure to reopen by Canadians will likely arise when the Snowbirders want to head south for the winter. Which is worse, Covid or a winter spent in Canada?

The number of Albertans, Saskatchewan's and BCers that pass through Montana is amazing come Fall and Spring. Sometimes we wonder if the last one leaving remembered to turn off the lights of their Province.

It has been odd to shop in Kalispell without the ordinary loads of Canadians especially at Costco where they purchase carloads of stuff motivated by the comparatively low prices given no VAT or State Sales Taxation on goods. Far fewer people in the stores, just the locals. We miss y'all as you are typically so wonderfully friendly and courteous [and notedly good drivers, so rarely see crazy maneuvers from a Canadian vehicle; can't say the same from some of the other out of state visitors.]

Hey, The Going-to-the-Sun-Road finally opened today, fully about one month later than normal. The opening of the road through our nations shared peace park is kind of the unofficial beginning of summer in northern Montana. But all one can do is just drive the spectacular views road across the Park to the eastern border and then must turn around and return back on the same road over Logan Pass because the Blackfeet have closed all of the roads leading into their reservation so the entire eastern side of Glacier is closed and inaccessible for 2020 and will not open until the Tribe says that the will allow non-members. That leaves one way in and that same one way out of the Park.
The Going-to-the-Sun-Road will typically close after the first significant snowfall of the season in late September, so it will be a very short season this Covid 2020. Access to Waterton Lakes International Peace Park in Alberta is also blocked because the Canadian / US border is closed.

Take care up north.
Old 13-07-2020, 15:08   #206

I think you may be surprised at the number of "snowbirds" who refuse to go south this year - even if the border is open by then. My parents and in-laws (and their friend circle) have already all bailed on leaving Canada for the 20/21 winter.
Old 13-07-2020, 15:22   #207

Quote:
I think you may be surprised at the number of "snowbirds" who refuse to go south this year - even if the border is open by then. My parents and in-laws (and their friend circle) have already all bailed on leaving Canada for the 20/21 winter.
Wise, very wise, given that the virus did not magically disappear in April.

Staycations time.
Old 13-07-2020, 15:56   #208

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A number of posts have been removed for political posting unrelated to cruising and sailing, and all of the posts that quoted the deleted posts.

Please remember to use brief quotations from articles, and links to them, in order to avoid copyright concerns.

Please refrain from stating unsubstantiated political opinion. The coronavirus containment forum has its own set of somewhat stronger prohibitions in a "Sticky" at the top of each page in the forum. Please check it out if you are not familiar with them.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

JPA Cate, for the mod team
Old 13-07-2020, 16:04   #209

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Data trumps panic, so to speak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Covid.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	219287  
Old 13-07-2020, 16:17   #210

Quote:
You have that spot on. Canadians by and large don't even want to get on a plane these days also keep in mind the snow birds are not the 20 year olds..southern USA will have no concerns of being overrun with Canucks this year.