Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 15-07-2021, 20:04   #2101

Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Thursday Canada could start allowing fully vaccinated Americans into Canada as of mid-August for non-essential travel and should be in a position to welcome fully vaccinated travelers from all countries by early September.

Pressure has been mounting on Canada to continue to ease the restrictions at the border, which have been in effect since March of last year.

Providing exemptions for travel into Canada amid the pandemic is politically sensitive and Trudeau is expected to call a federal election next month.

Trudeau said his ministers would share more details on the border early next week.

Commercial traffic has gone back and forth normally between the two countries since the start of the pandemic. Canadians are able to fly into the United States with a negative COVID-19 test.

But just how is Canada going to be able to validate that an American has been fully vaccinated. The USA has no national database to provide assurance, it will be an honor based system at best. Anyone can make up the informal US CDC vaccination record document.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fully-vac...020046950.html
Old 15-07-2021, 21:13   #2102

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Thursday Canada could start allowing fully vaccinated Americans into Canada as of mid-August for non-essential travel...

Coincides perfectly with the expected election call .
Old 15-07-2021, 21:42   #2103

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Just in time for those popular Alaska Christmas time cruises 😊
Old 15-07-2021, 22:03   #2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
We just came back from Pt Roberts (Washington state but attached to the Canadian mainland). This is a picture of 2 cruise ships we believe were transiting Canadian waters most likely going to Alaska. Even in "normal" times it would be unusual to see them sailing so close together, except at Seymour Narrows, of course.Attachment 242136
Normally, when more than one cruise ship is departing Vancouver for Alaska on the same day, they leave together with the most senior pilot on the lead ship and the others following behind. As Vancouver can berth three cruise ships at a time, this means there are frequently three ships travelling together. This is done both for general safety reasons and yes, so they can all get through Seymour Narrows on the same slack.

As any ship transiting Canadian waters (except ferries) must carry Canadian pilots (each cruise ship carries two) they are probably just proceeding according to their standard operating procedures once the American pilots are dropped off and the Canadian ones take over at the border.
Old 15-07-2021, 22:07   #2105

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Thursday Canada could start allowing fully vaccinated Americans into Canada as of mid-August for non-essential travel and should be in a position to welcome fully vaccinated travelers from all countries by early September.

Pressure has been mounting on Canada to continue to ease the restrictions at the border, which have been in effect since March of last year.

Providing exemptions for travel into Canada amid the pandemic is politically sensitive and Trudeau is expected to call a federal election next month.

Trudeau said his ministers would share more details on the border early next week.

Commercial traffic has gone back and forth normally between the two countries since the start of the pandemic. Canadians are able to fly into the United States with a negative COVID-19 test.

But just how is Canada going to be able to validate that an American has been fully vaccinated. The USA has no national database to provide assurance, it will be an honor based system at best. Anyone can make up the informal US CDC vaccination record document.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fully-vac...020046950.html
I wonder if there is, or could be developed, a quick and easy blood test to determine if you've been vaccinated?
Old 16-07-2021, 07:23   #2106

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Thursday Canada could start allowing fully vaccinated Americans into Canada as of mid-August for non-essential travel...

Quote:
So does this mean fully vaccinated Americans can vote in the Canadian elections? Just Asking.

And perhaps just starting another election integrity doubting conspiracy theory, a psychological contagion gifted from the democracy loving country down under the 49th.

Now where did I put my COVID-19 vaccination record and my Alberta election identification cards?

Vote early, vote often.

Old 16-07-2021, 07:26   #2107

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I wonder if there is, or could be developed, a quick and easy blood test to determine if you've been vaccinated?
A simply lie detector test should suffice.

Ask the person that is crossing the border: Are you an unvaccinated Covidiot?
Old 16-07-2021, 07:40   #2108

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
You too? Gawd I hope you're wrong. Idiotic time to call an election when you don't have to.

As for the border, well let's see what happens in Japan over the next month before we get all optimistic.
Old 16-07-2021, 07:41   #2109

Quote:
Quote:

Now where did I put my COVID-19 vaccination record and my Alberta election identification cards?

Vote early, vote often.
Reasons why we don't worry about United Statesians voting in our elections
Old 16-07-2021, 08:42   #2110

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
You too? Gawd I hope you're wrong. Idiotic time to call an election when you don't have to.

As for the border, well let's see what happens in Japan over the next month before we get all optimistic.
No matter who is in power, they would call the election at that time, with polling numbers as they are. Political opportunists, never miss a power grab chance.
Best wishes all.
Old 16-07-2021, 09:13   #2111

Quote:
So does this mean fully vaccinated Americans can vote in the Canadian elections? Just Asking.
Funny you should ask:
Canadian voters are likely to face foreign cyber interference in the next election, say cyber spies

Quote:
I hope not as well. Pisses me off, but as MS says, it's simple, crass politics. Liberal's numbers have remained decent, if not stellar. They're in majority territory now, but because they're Liberals, they have a number of scandals chomping at their behinds. If any one should gain traction, or if Covid-19 numbers spike up again come the Fall (as I expect they will), their popularity will sink.

So the cold, crass political calculation is go now (or soon). Opening up the border just as they're calling the election would be the perfect cynically-sweet move.

Quote:
True. Not long ago I was thinking we were nearing the end, but given all the rapid reopenings now, I expect numbers to surge in the Fall. Not like last year (I hope), but I bet we're in for another few smaller waves. Most of the burden of these waves will fall on those who are unvaccinated.
Old 16-07-2021, 09:26   #2112

Quote:
... but because they're Liberals, they have a number of scandals chomping at their behinds.
As a life-long Liberal I resent that... no, wait... sigh.
Old 16-07-2021, 10:34   #2113

A number of years ago I read a survey that said, while 85% of Canadians have passports, 85% of Americans don't. Quite a few Americans just don't want to travel outside the US - and I bet there is a strong correlation between that group, anti-vaxxers, the vaccine hesitant, and Republicans.

So maybe we don't need to worry about those adventurous enough to risk crossing into the Great White North. They're probably vaccinated ☺
Old 16-07-2021, 10:51   #2114

Quote:
A number of years ago I read a survey that said, while 85% of Canadians have passports, 85% of Americans don't. Quite a few Americans just don't want to travel outside the US - and I bet there is a strong correlation between that group, anti-vaxxers, the vaccine hesitant, and Republicans.

So maybe we don't need to worry about those adventurous enough to risk crossing into the Great White North. They're probably vaccinated ☺
I think the numbers are a bit higher than that now*, but you may still be on to something. I bet there is a strong correlation between travellers and vaccination rates. Travellers need to be open to new ideas, they also need to be relatively wealthy and privileged, and are likely better educated. All correlate well to higher vaccination rates.

How this relates to political affiliation, well... I leave that to others to discuss .

* From a Newsweek article of 2019:

Quote:
The share of U.S. citizens holding valid passports exploded in recent decades: In 1990, only 4 percent of Americans had one. By 1997, that had ticked up to 15 percent, and last year the number reached more than 42 percent. (That still pales next to the 76 percent of British citizens who have passports, and 66 percent of Canadians.)
Old 16-07-2021, 12:01   #2115

Quote:
True, but the medical system will not be back to "normal" until the HUGE backlog of overtime is settled - with large numbers of doctors, nurses, care aides, etc. wanting extended vacations. Also I suspect quite a few in the industry will quit and look for jobs elsewhere - if they haven't already. I think it will be a long, long time before things are back to normal - and meanwhile the backlog of delayable surgeries, etc. will continue to grow. And us baby-boomers are just getting started!
From the Globe and Mail today:
Canadian nurses are leaving in droves, worn down by 16 merciless months on the frontlines of COVID-19

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ciless-months/