Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2021, 12:38   #2191

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

And here's the link to the BC public health site for provincial restrictions. Many businesses will require you to wear a mask and will limit capacities. Everyone (on the Island at least) seem very intent on maintaining social distancing, on marina docks as well.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...o/restrictions
Old 10-08-2021, 08:34   #2192

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Interesting: The continuous marine broadcast continues to say that entry of US (or other foreign boats) for recreational purposes is still forbidden, However, I have no idea what is actually happening "on the ground" (water?).

-Bill
(currently in Hot Springs Cove - which is CLOSED by the local band [who manage the provincial park] for Covid and trail construction! Ahh! I was SO looking forward to visiting the place [for the first time] It was to be the highlight of this summer's expedition!).
Old 10-08-2021, 12:06   #2193

Boat: Beneteau/343

I’m pretty confused at this point on quarantine planning. Is it required or not? Can I say, I’ll return to the us?
Old 10-08-2021, 18:02   #2194

Boat: Rafiki 37

CTV: Cemetery in Ontario has removed this controversial sign after public backlash | COVID-19 in Canada

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...85&jwsource=cl
Old 10-08-2021, 22:44   #2195

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Interesting: The continuous marine broadcast continues to say that entry of US (or other foreign boats) for recreational purposes is still forbidden, However, I have no idea what is actually happening "on the ground" (water?).

-Bill
(currently in Hot Springs Cove - which is CLOSED by the local band [who manage the provincial park] for Covid and trail construction! Ahh! I was SO looking forward to visiting the place [for the first time] It was to be the highlight of this summer's expedition!).
I spoke with a young lady at Canadian customs today who said the border is open. My sense is that there are some challenges associated with coordinating the various groups associated with running the border. The quarantine plan has me stumped. One document indicates it is necessary and to call AMEX to arrange it. That number has a message saying quarantine has been discontinued for air travel and then the call is disconnected. I’ll show up at customs with my vaccine card, my test results, and a plan that says I will quarantine on my boat as I head back to the US. I’m not sure what options exist as it is almost impossible to talk to a human being.
Old 10-08-2021, 22:56   #2196

I can't contribute any info that would help at the border but suspect that you might be at the mercy of individual interpretations of any policy or regulations. This article from today describes the difficulties some Canadians had in returning to Victoria by sea.
https://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...ind-1.24349824
Old 11-08-2021, 03:29   #2197

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

People have no sense of humour these days! That sign was hilarious!

In other news Ontario is finally starting to report statistics on those who test positive each day. Yesterday of those who tested positive 67% were unvaccinated, another 12% were partially vaccinated and 20% were double vaccinated. Hopefully adding that information to the statistics will help encourage people to get vaccinated! Nearly 80% of cases people could have done something to prevent but didn't!!

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...aths-1.5541168
Old 11-08-2021, 04:08   #2198
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post

In other news Ontario is finally starting to report statistics on those who test positive each day. Yesterday of those who tested positive 67% were unvaccinated, another 12% were partially vaccinated and 20% were double vaccinated. Hopefully adding that information to the statistics will help encourage people to get vaccinated! Nearly 80% of cases people could have done something to prevent but didn't!!

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...aths-1.5541168
From pcmm’s linked article:
“Ontario reported 321 new COVID-19 cases and two additional deaths on Tuesday, with officials now saying as many as 34 per cent of new cases involve partial or fully vaccinated individuals...”

I wish more of these media stories would explain the numbers & statistics, they quote, so the lay audience [like I] might derive some useful, and actionable, information from them.

When people get infected after vaccination, scientists call these cases “breakthrough” infections, because the virus broke through the protective barrier the vaccine provides.
Clinical trials found the mRNA vaccines, from Pfizer and Moderna, were 94% – 95% effective, at preventing symptomatic COVID-19.

A vaccine efficacy of 95% does not mean that the shot protects 95% of people, while the other 5% will contract the virus.

Vaccine efficacy is a measure of relative risk. You need to compare a group of vaccinated people, to a group of unvaccinated people, under the same exposure conditions.
So consider a three-month study period, during which 100 out of 10,000 unvaccinated people got COVID-19.
You’d expect five vaccinated people to get sick during that same time.
That’s 5% of the 100 unvaccinated people who fell ill, not 5% of the whole group of 10,000.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:18   #2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post

Agreed. I thought it was a pretty smart bit of dark humour or satire. But I guess if you're on the loosing end of the proposition, you might take it poorly.
Old 11-08-2021, 13:38   #2200
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Evidently, Canada is getting a vaccine passport.
CBC News ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vac...port-1.6137763

Old 11-08-2021, 13:52   #2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Evidently, Canada is getting a vaccine passport.
Anything to support this statement?
Old 11-08-2021, 13:57   #2202

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vac...port-1.6137763
Old 11-08-2021, 14:03   #2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Anything to support this statement?

It's not really new news. They were talking about rolling something out in the Fall back a number of months ago. Seems like they're just on track.
Old 11-08-2021, 15:15   #2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's not really new news. They were talking about rolling something out in the Fall back a number of months ago. Seems like they're just on track.
Right, vaccine "passport" talk for foreign travel isn't new. The domestic (federal) vaccine "passports" is what I am/was waiting to hear about.
Old 11-08-2021, 16:03   #2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Right, vaccine "passport" talk for foreign travel isn't new. The domestic (federal) vaccine "passports" is what I am/was waiting to hear about.

Yeah... federal, so only for international travel. But I can see this sort of thing used for all sorts of internal uses as well. Quebec has already rolled out its own, and despite the reticence of some provincial governments, I can see it being taken up in many ways -- assuming it is secure and easy to use.