Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 13-07-2020, 16:20   #211

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
T

Hey, The Going-to-the-Sun-Road finally opened today, fully about one month later than normal. The opening of the road through our nations shared peace park is kind of the unofficial beginning of summer in northern Montana. But all one can do is just drive the spectacular views road across the Park to the eastern border and then must turn around and return back on the same road over Logan Pass because the Blackfeet have closed all of the roads leading into their reservation so the entire eastern side of Glacier is closed and inaccessible for 2020 and will not open until the Tribe says that the will allow non-members. That leaves one way in and that same one way out of the Park.

Take care up north.
I love that road. Did it on a motorbike once. Scared the cr#p out of me as I kept trying to take in the view.
Old 13-07-2020, 16:28   #212

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Data trumps panic, so to speak.
I really shouldn't since this has nothing to do with Canada. But if you want to know what it is we perceive about the US... It's the acceleration when we are starting to the see our numbers here going down. This ain't your seasonal flu...

Quote:
Unlike other states, Texas does not publicly report probable coronavirus deaths, which means patients who have died without testing positive for COVID-19 could go uncounted. More Houston residents are also dying at home before they can make it to a hospital. That means the death toll is likely higher than the state’s official count.

The rate of deaths in Texas has been accelerating. On Friday, the state surpassed 3,000 deaths 24 days after 2,000 deaths were reported. It took 53 days to get from the first death to 1,000 deaths and 39 days to get from 1,000 to 2,000 deaths.

The death rate is a lagging indicator and has not yet followed the same steep curve as new cases and hospitalizations, but experts warn the worst could come. On average over the past week, 63 people have died daily, with a peak of 105 people on Thursday. The week prior, on July 3, this 7-day average was 35.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07...gues-capacity/
Old 13-07-2020, 16:37   #213

Generally flue deaths are not really counted, they are usually estimated using a model.
Old 13-07-2020, 16:39   #214

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
I think you may be surprised at the number of "snowbirds" who refuse to go south this year - even if the border is open by then. My parents and in-laws (and their friend circle) have already all bailed on leaving Canada for the 20/21 winter.
I wonder how many snowbirds will go to places in the Caribbean with low case counts or even to southern Portugal, Spain, or France? The government is still recommending no non-essential travel anywhere but the situation in Guadeloupe or Barbados is very different than Florida or Arizona.
Old 13-07-2020, 16:41   #215

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Thumbs up Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
And as an ex air traffic radio operator working in NY on 11 Sept 2001 I will always tear up when I remember what Gander did for "my" flights coming in and feeding the passengers and making us believe in good again.
Have you seen 'Come From Away'? It is terrific.

[I also started the thread drift about curling.
Old 13-07-2020, 16:44   #216

It would really surprise me to see any but the smallest number of Canadians going to the Caribbean this winter, doesn't make any sense. We know lots of people that travel every year, they are staying home this year, probably next year as well.
Old 13-07-2020, 19:14   #217

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
MSM is not a Canadian thing. Please take this somewhere else.

+1!!!

I didn't even know what MSM meant -- had to DuckDuck it. Then I got barraged with conspiracy theory nut bar crap. Seriously, who believes this stuff .
Old 13-07-2020, 19:18   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
The pressure to reopen by Canadians will likely arise when the Snowbirders want to head south for the winter. Which is worse, Covid or a winter spent in Canada?

I've been winter house sitting in Canada for a few years now, and most of my home owners have been snow birds. I can tell you that every one I know of who would normally head to the USA for winter have now cancelled their travels all together, or are looking for alternatives.

It's going to be very tough for many up here, but there are alternatives.
Old 13-07-2020, 21:17   #219

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Least surprising thing I've read all day. I have not spoken with a single Canadian who wants that border open any time soon.
We live not too far from the Canadian border, which is what attracted my attention on this thread. We have friends that live just south of Kakabeka Falls, west of Thunder Bay. They come here to the States all the time to buy gas because it's cheaper than in Canada. When ever they get something shipped they have it sent to the border store on the US side and come down to get it instead of having it shipped into Canada. Their boat is here in our yard for the last two years. They bought it here and don't dare take it across the border because they get charged a huge tax to take their boat across the border into Canada.

They repeatedly tell us we don't know how lucky we are to be living on this side of the border. They would like the whole thing to end ASAP so they can get to their boat.

So I guess all Canadians are not the same.
Old 13-07-2020, 21:31   #220

Boat: Corbin 39

I operate a marina and have only seen 3 American flagged vessels , one today for a fuel stop and supplies brought to their boat , and then gone for Alaska , the other two were owned by dual
Citizens
Old 13-07-2020, 21:59   #221
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
We live not too far from the Canadian border, which is what attracted my attention on this thread. We have friends that live just south of Kakabeka Falls, west of Thunder Bay. They come here to the States all the time to buy gas because it's cheaper than in Canada. When ever they get something shipped they have it sent to the border store on the US side and come down to get it instead of having it shipped into Canada. Their boat is here in our yard for the last two years. They bought it here and don't dare take it across the border because they get charged a huge tax to take their boat across the border into Canada.

They repeatedly tell us we don't know how lucky we are to be living on this side of the border. They would like the whole thing to end ASAP so they can get to their boat.

We’re in that same boat. The lower Canadian US boarder is over 5500 miles long and while many Canadians consider Ontario to be all of Canada there are many many more miles of boarder including many small isolated towns and communities free of COVID. While the travel to Alaska is activating for Canadians, many Alaskans feel the same and are feel threatened by southerners coming north into small isolated communities.
Old 13-07-2020, 23:28   #222

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Here we sit in Gig Harbor, WA awaiting the opening of the border so we can visit our kids and grandkids in Coquitlam and Port Moody. We would never jeopardize their health even though I have been tested several times in the last few weeks and tested negatively for the virus before entering a hospital for surgery and have been isolating at home with no visitors for 3 months! My wife works in a hospital in Tacoma and must be tested daily through the hospital and is very careful about bringing home any contaminated clothing or PPE that she is required to wear in her surgery. We will gladly await for the border between the US and Canada to reopen and will be happy to be retested for the virus if either gov’t feels that it is necessary before crossing. In the mean time we just FaceTime every couple of days with our family!
Phil and Tania.
Old 14-07-2020, 06:58   #223

Some First Nations are closed to outsiders.

https://epaper.calgaryherald.com/@Ja...Nhqit33nrg2FCH
Old 14-07-2020, 07:09   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post

Yup, Ryden's. Been there, used it (a lot).The reason people do this is to avoid the brokerage charges and some duties. NW Ontario has some of the highest gas prices in Canada, so little wonder some like to hop the border to get that cheap American gas.

I'm up here in NW Ont. right now with friends in Thunder Bay. We're visiting other friends just north of Kakabeka soon. None of these people want the border opened soon, so we all live in our self-selected bubbles .
Old 14-07-2020, 07:28   #225

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yup, Ryden's. Been there, used it (a lot).The reason people do this is to avoid the brokerage charges and some duties. NW Ontario has some of the highest gas prices in Canada, so little wonder some like to hop the border to get that cheap American gas.

I'm up here in NW Ont. right now with friends in Thunder Bay. We're visiting other friends just north of Kakabeka soon. None of these people want the border opened soon, so we all live in our self-selected bubbles .
Yep. Ryden's Border Store. There's normally a LOT of traffic going back and forth there across the border every day. The thing is, there is no problem with Corona on either the US or Canadian side of there in the immediate area. There is a problem with Cook County on the US side because of the Grand Portage Indian Reservation. They are sovereign territory and they closed their border and have no intention of opening it no matter what. But there is no problems with it from southern Lake Superior shoreline, all the way up the North Shore to Thunder Bay. There is no deaths on this side since it started, there has been basically no "lockdown" because nobody obeyed it anyway. And on the Canada side I think it's like Superior - maybe a few cases, and I think the reported one death up there. But according our friends it was a guy in his 50's that already had some sort of health problems.

So the problem with Corona is mainly in the large population centers. It has not affected these rural areas.

We have the crane scheduled for a week from today to splash our boat so we can get generator and AC going on her. Our friends had hoped to be here for that. But I guess we'll have to send them a video instead.