Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2021, 15:44   #2266

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Reality bites: (CBC)
'I wish we didn't have to do this': Alberta to offer $100 incentive to get vaccinated against COVID-19

Quote:
Among the public health measures announced Friday are:
  • Beginning Saturday, restaurants, cafés, bars, pubs and nightclubs will be required to end alcohol service at 10 p.m.
  • Unvaccinated Albertans are strongly recommended to limit indoor social gatherings to close contacts of only two cohort families, up to a maximum of 10 people.
  • Alberta Health is developing a QR code that will allow Albertans to quickly prove their vaccination status.
  • Employers are urged to pause return-to-work plans and instead continue with work-from-home measures. If employees are working on location, employees must mask for all indoor settings, except in work stations or where two-metre physical distancing or adequate physical barriers are in place.
  • School boards will continue set their own masking rules for schools.
Old 03-09-2021, 16:14   #2267

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Could me make a trade - vaccinated Texans for unvaccinated Albertans? Seems like a win-win situation.
Old 03-09-2021, 17:13   #2268

Boat: Hunter 386

F'n Kenney. I usually keep my mouth shut about this stuff but…

If one segment of the population engages in anti-social behaviour we punish them by chucking them in jail. An heaven forbid we spend money on trying to get drug addicts off the street.

But if another segment of the population engages in anti-social behaviour we bribe them with gift cards. After all they are "voters."

I sure wish the right would get its head screwed on straight.

I have a real libertarian streak sometimes and right now it's saying "Fine, no vaccination? All right by me. Oh, by the way, the only place you need proof of vaccination is when you enter a medical facility."
Old 03-09-2021, 17:58   #2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post

If one segment of the population engages in anti-social behaviour we punish them by chucking them in jail. An heaven forbid we spend money on trying to get drug addicts off the street.

But if another segment of the population engages in anti-social behaviour we bribe them with gift cards. After all they are "voters."
It is pretty galling. But the key point is these unvaccinated folks aren't just voters, they're his voters. So naturally instead of rewarding everyone who has been good citizens, he doles out cash to all the laggards.

Whatever... if it works, it's money well spent.

Quote:
I have a real libertarian streak sometimes and right now it's saying "Fine, no vaccination? All right by me. Oh, by the way, the only place you need proof of vaccination is when you enter a medical facility."
You and me both. I'm completely in the freedom-to-choose camp. No one should be forced to take a vaccine they don't want. But as I often say here, choices come with consequences. If you don't want to be vaccinated, then there will be things you can no longer do. Choice -- Consequence.

But of course, the anti-crowd doesn't want that. They want their right to go unvaccinated without bearing any responsibility for their choice. This is why Kenney is so loath to bring in a vaccine passport.

I predict he will be forced to backpedal on this soon as well. Every other province is introducing some sort of passport system. Even Doug Ford was forced into it when all the health units said: 'Screw it, if the government won't do it, we will.'

I predict something like this is going to happen in Alberta.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:29   #2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Could me make a trade - vaccinated Texans for unvaccinated Albertans? Seems like a win-win situation.
Maybe. As long as they're not supporters of the Texas Taliban.

Quote:

I sure wish the right would get its head screwed on straight.

Ignorance, selfishness and violence are more dangerous than COVID, and they seem to be spreading. And a factor in this election campaign.
Old 04-09-2021, 16:17   #2271

Hopefully this won't be a problem in Canada:

Patients overdosing on ivermectin backing up rural Oklahoma hospitals, ambulances

Paging Dr Darwin...
Old 04-09-2021, 16:36   #2272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

You've seen the recent protests targeting hospitals, right? I fear the true virus of misinformation and idiocy is spreading here as well .
Old 04-09-2021, 17:19   #2273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You've seen the recent protests targeting hospitals, right? I fear the true virus of misinformation and idiocy is spreading here as well .

Too true, Mike. On one of the other Covid threads, I was hammered by folks when I said we shouldn't be coddling these anti-s. One fella posted that he'd avoided the vaccine but then when a few people he knew f-ing died he got it. I said he should be out telling all the anti-s to get vaxxed, not just patting himself on the back for finally listening to reason, and some people got mad at me not him!

I think these idiots are demonstrating at hospitals and even at Parliament in Victoria to get free publicity. If I was the local MSM, I'd report: "A small bunch of misinformed, stupid and dangerous people demonstrated at Parliament yesterday. These people are ignoring public health and safety. Please avoid them. They are endangering YOUR health."

Don't encourage them by showing their disturbances.

Support your local hospitals and staff. They are doing the heavy lifting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 04-09-2021, 21:31   #2274

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:

Patients overdosing on ivermectin backing up rural Oklahoma hospitals, ambulances

Paging Dr Darwin...

I'm probably going to get barred for posting this line from the Ivermectin report-but really-there is a serious problem in Okla. if the gunshot victims can't get treated
O- M-G...

I was laughing so hard I screwed up the post../ L
Old 04-09-2021, 21:35   #2275

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Here it is

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	244750
Old 05-09-2021, 06:59   #2276
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

These people are ignoring public health and safety. Please avoid them. They are endangering YOUR health ".......quote Stu

Hi Stu,
perhaps I'm missing something, but my understanding is that even after you take the vaccines you can still catch and spread COVID...... You just will not likely die from it

If so, then the non vaxers are really only endangering their own lives.
What am I missing here??
Old 05-09-2021, 07:51   #2277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Stu,
perhaps I'm missing something, but my understanding is that even after you take the vaccines you can still catch and spread COVID...... You just will not likely die from it

What am I missing here??
Well, in the broader analysis, with Delta, we need to have ideally 80+% of the population vaccinated or otherwise immune, in order to open up more fully, or we need to maintain many of the COVID measures like masks, social distancing, continued restriction on large indoor gatherings and travel, etc. If we open up without that level of vaccination, we will keep experiencing surges, and our healthcare services remain under threat. Example: right now, the FL COVID rates of cases and deaths are the highest they have had over the whole pandemic. There are "4th waves" elsewhere too, and not just the US.

So the percentage of unvaccinated make it riskier to get back to the normal that we all desperately want. It's fine to say "they are only risking themselves", but the seriously ill are a drain on the system, they put medical personnel at risk, they are delaying other non-COVID treatments, and are more likely to be spreaders, for longer.

Most of those who choose not to get vaccinated want the freedom of choice, yet they also want all the regular perks of a pandemic-free society, too. The flip side of freedom is responsibility.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:43   #2278

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:

Paging Dr Darwin...

I'm afraid it is a problem, perhaps not yet to the level of displacing gunshot victims though;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...emic-1.6159985

And a more local report;

https://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/...tock-dewormer/

Old 05-09-2021, 08:54   #2279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
These people are ignoring public health and safety. Please avoid them. They are endangering YOUR health ".......quote Stu

Hi Stu,

What am I missing here??
In addition to LE's comments, it's important to focus on your "likely" descriptor. Being vaccinated significantly lowers one's risk of severe illness, hospitalization and death. But it doesn't erase it. The fact is, most people "likely" won't die from Covid-19, vaccinated or not. But there is still a risk, in either case, and one that in this case is unnecessary since there is a simple solution to the Covid problem: Get Vaccinated.

The unvaccinated are unnecessarily perpetuating the pandemic, forcing all society to continue to take protective measures, curtail normal activity, and giving the virus even more opportunity to mutate into something even worse. Once again, the anti-folk are simply looking for free ride.

So no... I'm tired of giving anti-vaxxers a break. If they want to live in fear and ignorance, then they will do so with increasing restrictions on their freedoms that they apparently so dearly cherish. This way, the rest of us can get on with our lives.

Choice -- Consequence.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:16   #2280

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post

LOL! That headline is so "America!" right now.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"