Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2021, 10:10   #2311

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
There was zero promotion of winners etc. I had forgotten all about it and had to look up the winners when I finally remembered. It really seemed like they buried it, but it could just be bad comms. Heaven knows the UPC party has continually suffered from amateurish communication strategies...
Too true. So many of their problems are self-inflicted wounds. Smart communications could go a long way to avoiding some of their problems. As a comms consultant, I learned how to dress up (just about) any pig, and make it look like it could dance .
Old 07-09-2021, 15:21   #2312

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Too true. So many of their problems are self-inflicted wounds. Smart communications could go a long way to avoiding some of their problems. As a comms consultant, I learned how to dress up (just about) any pig, and make it look like it could dance .
The usual boast of a used car salesman. Not impressed. However, I dare say, the lack of " smart communications" was not the problem with the campaign.

One would have to be a moron to give up their good health for a miserly hundred dollars or a long shot at some lottery. And that's the real problem... the campaign assumed they were dealing with morons.

False assumptions, gentlemen, are at the root of all failures.
Old 07-09-2021, 15:33   #2313

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
The usual boast of a used car salesman. Not impressed.

What is it they say about ad hominem ...?
Old 07-09-2021, 15:41   #2314

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
That's true, as far as you go.
But, to add a little context:
Molecular tests, like PCR, look for genetic material, that comes only from the virus.
One of the most common false claims, is that PCR tests are prone to false positives. They are NOT.

If a PCR test comes back positive, we can be sure that it has correctly detected genetic material from the SARS-CoV-2 virus, the virus that causes COVID-19.

Any actual false-positive results are likely to be due to lab contamination, or other problems with how the lab has performed the test, not limitations of the test itself.
There is a chance of PCR tests picking up dead virus, in a patient who has recovered, and is no longer infectious, which is not a false positive.
I believe that the late Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize winning biochemist and inventor of the PCR test, would absolutely disagree with you. if you're not familiar with his views, google is not your friend. Try bitchute https://www.bitchute.com/video/lWjvnof62Q9V/
Old 07-09-2021, 15:50   #2315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
What is it they say about ad hominem ...?
My apologies to used car salesmen
Old 07-09-2021, 15:50   #2316

Quote:
The usual boast of a used car salesman. Not impressed. However, I dare say, the lack of " smart communications" was not the problem with the campaign.

One would have to be a moron to give up their good health for a miserly hundred dollars or a long shot at some lottery. And that's the real problem... the campaign assumed they were dealing with morons.

False assumptions, gentlemen, are at the root of all failures.

Oh I dunno... if you're an example, then the evidence suggests the opposite .

But I do agree. Those who have staked their politics on being anti-science/anti-vaxx, are not going to be convinced to change their affiliation for a $100. But the hope is it might move the truly "hesitant". I don't hold out much hope, but maybe...
Old 07-09-2021, 16:16   #2317

Quote:
Oh I dunno... if you're an example, then the evidence suggests the opposite .

But I do agree. Those who have staked their politics on being anti-science/anti-vaxx, are not going to be convinced to change their affiliation for a $100. But the hope is it might move the truly "hesitant". I don't hold out much hope, but maybe...
Opposition to the mRNA vaccines is a worldwide phenomenon. To say it is political in nature or anti-science is beyond absurd when many of those opposed are scientists and medical practitioners and come from a wide political spectrum. Again, the assumptions you and others here are making is utter nonsense.
Old 07-09-2021, 16:24   #2318

Quote:
Opposition to the mRNA vaccines is a worldwide phenomenon. To say it is political in nature or anti-science is beyond absurd when many of those opposed are scientists and medical practitioners and come from a wide political spectrum. Again, the assumptions you and others here are making is utter nonsense.
There's only one poster writing nonsense on this thread. Give you one guess who it is.

Why are you posting this garbage here anyway? Your location says Spain. Are you a Canadian abroad? This is supposed to be about Canadian Covid news. If you want to post conspiracy theory crap, go to some other thread.
Old 07-09-2021, 16:44   #2319

Quote:
There's only one poster writing nonsense on this thread. Give you one guess who it is.

Why are you posting this garbage here anyway? Your location says Spain. Are you a Canadian abroad? This is supposed to be about Canadian Covid news. If you want to post conspiracy theory crap, go to some other thread.
My understanding is that anyone can post on any thread. Am I mistaken?

What specifically are you referring to when you accuse me of posting "garbage" "crap" and "conspiracy theories?" All of my recent comments on this thread have been related in one way or another to Canadian news stories that others have posted links to.
Old 07-09-2021, 17:03   #2320

Quote:
My understanding is that anyone can post on any thread. Am I mistaken?
So I can only assume the answer to my question is, no, you're not Canadian and have no real knowledge of what is going on in Canada.

Your posts indicate all you want to do is question the science and spread misinformation about the vaccine and the disease. There are other threads where you can do that. Or you can start your own thread.

Please, leave this one for news that is relevant to the Canadian context.
Old 07-09-2021, 17:14   #2321

CBC:
No jab, no pay: Quebec gives health-care workers deadline to get fully vaccinated

Quote:
Vaccine passport will also be required for hospital visitors, the health minister says

Quebec health-care workers in both the public and private systems who are not adequately vaccinated by Oct. 15 will be suspended without pay, the province's health minister, Christian Dubé, announced Tuesday.
Old 07-09-2021, 18:17   #2322
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I believe that the late Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize winning biochemist and inventor of the PCR test, would absolutely disagree with you. if you're not familiar with his views, google is not your friend. Try bitchute https://www.bitchute.com/video/lWjvnof62Q9V/
Utter ******** !
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN24420X
Old 08-09-2021, 06:13   #2323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
I believe that the late Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize winning biochemist and inventor of the PCR test, would absolutely disagree with you...
PCR was indeed invented by Kary B. Mullis, who died in August 2019, long before Covid-19 began to spread, in December 2019, and as such, could not have made any assertion about the use of PCR testing for Covid-19.

He didn’t say PCR testing couldn’t be used for testing for any diseases, as some social media posts claim.

Confusion seems to have arisen from quotes of his, in a 1996 article about HIV and AIDS, in patients, who also contract other viruses. In this, neither the author of the article, nor Dr Mullis said PCR testing does not work, or only identifies the DNA or RNA, of the person being tested.

Specifically discussing the experience of people with HIV [which he erroneously didn't think caused AIDS], Mullis said that “someone with HIV generally is going to have almost anything that you can test for”, and “to test for that one and say that has any special meaning is what I think is the problem, not that PCR has been misused”.

Claims that Mullis said PCR tests don’t work have been debunked by the Australian Associated Press, and again by Full Fact, and by Reuters.
https://fullfact.org/online/pcr-test-mullis/
https://www.aap.com.au/pcr-inventor-...19-infections/

Old 08-09-2021, 08:16   #2324

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
PCR was indeed invented by Kary B. Mullis, who died in August 2019, long before Covid-19 began to spread, in December 2019, and as such, could not have made any assertion about the use of PCR testing for Covid-19.

He didn’t say PCR testing couldn’t be used for testing for any diseases, as some social media posts claim.

Confusion seems to have arisen from quotes of his, in a 1996 article about HIV and AIDS, in patients, who also contract other viruses. In this, neither the author of the article, nor Dr Mullis said PCR testing does not work, or only identifies the DNA or RNA, of the person being tested.

Specifically discussing the experience of people with HIV [which he erroneously didn't think caused AIDS], Mullis said that “someone with HIV generally is going to have almost anything that you can test for”, and “to test for that one and say that has any special meaning is what I think is the problem, not that PCR has been misused”.

Claims that Mullis said PCR tests don’t work have been debunked by the Australian Associated Press, and again by Full Fact, and by Reuters.
https://fullfact.org/online/pcr-test-mullis/
https://www.aap.com.au/pcr-inventor-...19-infections/
Gord, it hardly seems fair to bring actual facts into the discussion - and you are a repeat offender.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:36   #2325

Here's an interesting discussion piece in the Globe about the legality of vaccine passports:
Legal questions around rights linger as some provinces bring in COVID-19 vaccine passports

There will no doubt be court and human rights challenges brought against these plans. So far Covid-19 restrictions have stood the tests in these legal arenas, but as the article discusses, there are probably right ways, and wrong ways to institute these passports.