Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 15-09-2021, 10:49   #2386

Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
If vax really works, they dont need ventillators. Let the vax do its magic.
You are right that the vaccinated have much less risk of being on a ventilator if they happen to be hospitalized for COVID. But you missed the point: if there's one ventilator, and you have an unvaccinated patient with COVID, and someone with a non-COVID need for ventilation... who should get the ventilator?

In reality, I know that such a choice is made ultimately on which patient is more likely to recover... but needing a ventilator because you refused a vaccine when offered... it's an interesting moral problem. Especially if the unvaccinated who get COVID continue to overload healthcare systems, bumping other patients.
Old 15-09-2021, 11:12   #2387

Boat: Hunter 386

Could it be?

I have to say if I needed any more proof that a "vaccine passport" is necessary, the idea that Kenney will actually cave on his sacred "personal freedoms" stance is it. I honestly thought he was in it till the end and if he's been convinced well...

Quote:
Alberta to introduce some form of vaccine passport system: sources
https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2021/09...cine-passport/
Old 15-09-2021, 11:27   #2388

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You are right that the vaccinated have much less risk of being on a ventilator if they happen to be hospitalized for COVID. But you missed the point: if there's one ventilator, and you have an unvaccinated patient with COVID, and someone with a non-COVID need for ventilation... who should get the ventilator?

In reality, I know that such a choice is made ultimately on which patient is more likely to recover... but needing a ventilator because you refused a vaccine when offered... it's an interesting moral problem. Especially if the unvaccinated who get COVID continue to overload healthcare systems, bumping other patients.
I personally have no issue with Healthcare being withheld due to my personal decisions. Most of my working life has been either self employed or with micro businesses where company supplied Healthcare was unaffordable. I've opted out of surgery due to the costs associated when I was uninsured with an severe infection, so its not just internet talk.

I'm anti mandates across the board (yea, even seat belts though I wear one because I don't want to die in a crash).

I'm also hesitant on a vaccine that hasn't had a long track record for a disease I'm at little risk from. Especially when everyone telling you to get it or makes it has been exempted from responsibility if they are wrong. A red flag for me.
Old 15-09-2021, 11:41   #2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I personally have no issue with Healthcare being withheld due to my personal decisions. Most of my working life has been either self employed or with micro businesses where company supplied Healthcare was unaffordable. I've opted out of surgery due to the costs associated when I was uninsured with an severe infection, so its not just internet talk.
No-one in an affluent, civilized country should have to forego needed basic medical treatment because it costs too much. That's... barbaric. I also have a younger American friend who couldn't afford needed knee surgery. But I'm Canadian, and you're in a Canadian thread.
Quote:
I'm also hesitant on a vaccine that hasn't had a long track record for a disease I'm at little risk from. Especially when everyone telling you to get it or makes it has been exempted from responsibility if they are wrong. A red flag for me.
That's your choice of course. Are you also ok with having to keep wearing a mask in public, avoiding crowds, and having some restrictions placed on travelling or attending public events, til COVID is less of a threat to the community as a whole? The flip side of freedom is responsibility.
Old 15-09-2021, 12:02   #2390

Boat: J/88

Various types of insurance have various kinds of rate structures and one truth is that if there is no spread in rates due to risk factors the pricing reflects then entire range. In other words, if skinny people pay the same rates as obese people, the skinny people are paying more than they should to offset the costs of the obese people. I am fairly certain that you enjoyed getting better car insurance rates as you matured just as the young and risky hate getting "ripped off" by the "greedy insurance companies".

Insurance companies operate in a reasonably free market which means that if some company wants to lower their rates they will sell more insurance.
Old 15-09-2021, 12:12   #2391

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Could it be?

I have to say if I needed any more proof that a "vaccine passport" is necessary, the idea that Kenney will actually cave on his sacred "personal freedoms" stance is it. I honestly thought he was in it till the end and if he's been convinced well...

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2021/09...cine-passport/
Ha! I love being right . I've been saying this would happen for some time now. Kenny's had to backtrack on every other 'red line' stance around his failed Covid-19 policies. This is just the latest.

This is the wonderful thing about reality. It doesn't care what people believe. Reality is.
Old 15-09-2021, 13:21   #2392

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
No-one in an affluent, civilized country should have to forego needed basic medical treatment because it costs too much. That's... barbaric. I also have a younger American friend who couldn't afford needed knee surgery. But I'm Canadian, and you're in a Canadian thread. [emoji2]

That's your choice of course. Are you also ok with having to keep wearing a mask in public, avoiding crowds, and having some restrictions placed on travelling or attending public events, til COVID is less of a threat to the community as a whole? The flip side of freedom is responsibility.
I avoid crowds normally.

I respect private business requiring a mask. I avoid them for the most part. I deal with it on services I feel add value despite the paranoia (ie lyft getting me home 5 minutes faster at the end if a shift. I'm weak).

I make daily decisions on affordability of services. Other than rum I don't consider any of them barbaric.
Old 16-09-2021, 14:58   #2393

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Simply as that.

I see an infection as a very effective natural vaccination. I do not party all night with strangers, too old for this ****. I don't seek big crowds either, I go shopping and interact with other people normally as if there is no Covid hystery.

Means, I don't care if they are vaccinated or not. If they wear a mask because they are fearfull, I do respect this and wear a mask too. If they do not wear masks, I don't wear my mask either. If they shake hands or hug on greetings and goodbyes, thats OK for me, if they don't, it is OK too.

I do use the desinfection facilities in stores when entering and leaving and wear my mask as respect to the others inside - if this is the policy, even if it is meaningless.

Sitting in a restaurant for an extended time and eating without a mask is much more dangerous... In open air masks make no sense at all, but if people wear one, I wear one too, to make them happy.

I am still healthy, I do carefully observe if I develop any symptoms - and if - I would self quarantine and take measures, I am prepared for this. I would early treat myself and my partner and get tested then asap. It would not be the end of the world, end even if - be it.

I refuse - like many others - to live in fear and hystery. Life goes on, I am really happy seeing young people partying on trip boats till midnight and later here with loud music and dancing and singing on the decks. This shows me, people overcome fear and bullying, restrictions, still socialize, enjoy themselves, meet others, hook up and have a live.

The pandemic is only in our heads, fear eats the soul.
Old 16-09-2021, 15:08   #2394

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Simply as that.

Absolute nonsense.

hystery? Spelling? We all live in history - if that is what you meant.
Old 16-09-2021, 15:20   #2395

Quote:
I refuse - like many others - to live in fear and hystery. Life goes on, I am really happy seeing young people partying on trip boats till midnight and later here with loud music and dancing and singing on the decks. This shows me, people overcome fear and bullying, restrictions, still socialize, enjoy themselves, meet others, hook up and have a live.

I hate to criticize what for you was a fairly sincere and logical post... but this last part is just some twisted projection of yours.

Careless, heedless behaviour, coupled with vaccine refusal, is why some places are, 16 months into this thing, back in crisis mode. This sh!t is still real, healthcare in many places is still running flat-out to keep up with the load of still-unvaccinated people catching Delta... The longer people refuse to acknowledge reality, the longer it will take to crawl out of this hole.
Old 16-09-2021, 15:24   #2396

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Absolute nonsense.

hystery? Spelling? We all live in history - if that is what you meant.

But there's really no point engaging with people like this. As I said, reality doesn't care what someone believes. It just is.

Meanwhile, in actual Canadian Covid-19 news:

Alberta patients may be transferred to Ontario as hospitals bear down under COVID-19's fourth wave

Quote:
Alberta hospitals are being told to find non-intensive care beds that can be used for patients who are critically ill with COVID-19.
Some patients may even be transferred to Ontario, a move that would be a last resort.
"I cannot stress enough how serious the situation is in our hospitals," said Dr. Verna Yiu, president and CEO of Alberta Health Services, speaking during a Thursday news conference with Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's chief medical officer of health..
And Saskatchewan, the last anti-passport holdout, has just followed Alberta's reluctant lead:

Sask. Premier Scott Moe announces mandatory masking and proof of vaccination policies

As of today, this province now has a higher rate of new infections than Alberta. And even more concerning, it has surpassed the three previous waves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 16.26.15 .jpg
Views:	78
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	245420  
Old 16-09-2021, 15:28   #2397

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Maybe if CatNewBee's hip replacement or brain cancer surgery was cancelled because the healthcare system (and its workers) were spread so thin with ICU's full to bursting with unvaccinated Covid patients he would care a wee bit more.
Old 16-09-2021, 15:34   #2398

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
Maybe if CatNewBee's hip replacement or brain cancer surgery was cancelled because the healthcare system (and its workers) were spread so thin with ICU's full to bursting with unvaccinated Covid patients he would care a wee bit more.
... or fired because they refuse to get the shots... Just sąying.
Old 16-09-2021, 15:36   #2399

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Quote:
... or fired because they refuse to get the shots... Just sąying.
You are deflecting...avoiding my point.
Old 16-09-2021, 15:37   #2400

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
You are deflecting...avoiding my point.
My friend, best not to feed those people. If you can see what they say, you can't be triggered to reply. Just saying.