Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 16-09-2021, 15:45   #2401

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So, your health insurance companies don't take into account your current health status? I know any travel insurance I've bought certainly goes through my health history. The answers certainly affect my premium.

I don't recall if there are questions about weight. If not, then I would conclude it's not a significant risk factor. Unless these companies are legally precluded from factoring in this point, this would make them poor businesses.
Mike,
My personal experience is to not need to get a physical. I think I MAY have filled out a history form or two.

We have international health coverage. No physical. We did not even fill out a questionnaire.

Obesity DOES have a very high impact on ones health. There are a lot of things where insurance could make adjustments but does not. Riding a motorcycle wo a helmut COULD exclude head injuries. Driving drunk COULD exclude injuries incurred while intoxicated. Lots of things to encourage personal responsibility where the cause and effect are tightly linked.

But we don’t do it. So we should not do it for covid, or do it much more broadly.

Consistency of thought and action.
Old 16-09-2021, 16:03   #2402

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
You are deflecting...avoiding my point.
You have no legit point, as long as you and your politicians treat people like cattle at the slaughterhouse.

If you can afford suspending and firing of qualified health care personnel, there is no real crisis.
Old 16-09-2021, 16:30   #2403

Boat: Bateau FS17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Simply as that.

I see an infection as a very effective natural vaccination. I do not party all night with strangers, too old for this ****. I don't seek big crowds either, I go shopping and interact with other people normally as if there is no Covid hystery.

Means, I don't care if they are vaccinated or not. If they wear a mask because they are fearfull, I do respect this and wear a mask too. If they do not wear masks, I don't wear my mask either. If they shake hands or hug on greetings and goodbyes, thats OK for me, if they don't, it is OK too.

I do use the desinfection facilities in stores when entering and leaving and wear my mask as respect to the others inside - if this is the policy, even if it is meaningless.

Sitting in a restaurant for an extended time and eating without a mask is much more dangerous... In open air masks make no sense at all, but if people wear one, I wear one too, to make them happy.

I am still healthy, I do carefully observe if I develop any symptoms - and if - I would self quarantine and take measures, I am prepared for this. I would early treat myself and my partner and get tested then asap. It would not be the end of the world, end even if - be it.

It is this simple respect for others that we are missing on both sides of this nightmare. We would be so much better if everyone no matter what side they choose took this approach instead of the hate and chaos.
Old 16-09-2021, 16:31   #2404
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

A question for the Medical experts in this discussion:

Can you safely test to see if a person has already developed an immunity to Covid?

The problem with the Vax vs anti-Vax camps is that it is too black and white in their opposing arguments.

While I am convinced that getting vaccinated is the best pragmatic policy, under this Global crisis management,

.....I would respect someone who could prove existing immunity as a reason not to.

This I believe would remove a great deal of rancor from this topic.
Old 16-09-2021, 16:49   #2405

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
My friend, best not to feed those people. If you can see what they say, you can't be triggered to reply. Just saying.
Thanks for the tip, but I have self-restraint and won't be sucked into a vortex of ever increasing misguided/misinformed scenarios
Old 16-09-2021, 17:21   #2406

Boat: 1964 Van de Stadt, Rebel 41,

Sadly, there shouldn’t even be an “anti-vax” camp. It’s existence is a testament to the extent that ignorance, quackery and, self indulgent selfishness are so prevalent.

History provides a helpful analogy for the importance of current efforts to achieve close to universal vaccination: the blackout implemented during the blitz of England in WW2. Without modern navigational instruments, german bombers would use any available light to help navigate towards British cities, and so everyone (even those miles away from a city or factory likely to be a target) was required to maintain a complete blackout after dark. Unsurprisingly, britons adopted the policy enthusiastically, knowing that even the small act of flipping a switch or drawing a blind was helping lessen the threat to their broader community.

Today from the anti-vaxxer crowd we hear some variation of: it’s my right to make my tea with the lights on!, I am “dark sensitive”, I don’t personally know anyone who has been bombed, what if I stub my toe with the lights off, I don’t live close to a factory or big city, I don’t believe in the accuracy of german bombers or the official published death tolls, the long term effects of darkness haven’t been studied, I refuse to live in fear of the nazis (and therefore bravely leave my lights on), or even deny that there’s a war on at all.

The risk isn’t to you. It’s to everyone. We all need to do our part. Thankfully, the overwhelming majority of Canadians are. Those continuing to leave their damn lights on increasingly stand out as beacons of selfish idiocy.
Old 16-09-2021, 17:29   #2407

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We were informed Alberta declared a state of emergency, today, and this means at least one emergency and ICU nurse who has asthma, is going to be transferred to Calgary for the duration, if she survives. She is over 60, also. No one would make these decisions if there were no need. Idaho has also passed a new law permitting overwhelmed hospitals to ration care. Sounds like triage to me. Sorry guys. For those who don't know, Idaho shares a border with Canada.

Sorry to be the bearer of ill tidings. Be careful, stay well.

Ann
Old 16-09-2021, 17:31   #2408
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Partly Answered my own question

Antibody testing is*not currently recommended*to determine if you are immune to COVID-19 following COVID-19 vaccination. Antibody testing should also not be used to decide if someone needs to be vaccinated. *CDC’s*Interim Guidelines for COVID-19 Antibody Testing*provide more information on how antibody testing should be used and interpreted.

Whether you test positive or negative for COVID-19 antibodies using an antibody test, you still should take steps, including getting vaccinated, to*protect yourself and others.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-overview.html
Old 16-09-2021, 17:33   #2409

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Mike,
My personal experience is to not need to get a physical. I think I MAY have filled out a history form or two.

We have international health coverage. No physical. We did not even fill out a questionnaire.
This makes no sense, and does not line up with my experience. I've never seen the need for a physical, but I've certainly had to answer a battery of health questions. To not do so makes no sense ... unless there are legal requirements these insurance companies must conform to, precluding them from assessing individual risk. This is essentially how Canadian health insurance works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Obesity DOES have a very high impact on ones health. There are a lot of things where insurance could make adjustments but does not. Riding a motorcycle wo a helmut COULD exclude head injuries. Driving drunk COULD exclude injuries incurred while intoxicated. Lots of things to encourage personal responsibility where the cause and effect are tightly linked.

But we don’t do it. So we should not do it for covid, or do it much more broadly.
Without agreeing to your claims (because I don't know if they are true), why don't we do it? Why wouldn't a private insurance company, whose main objective is to maximize profit, do these things? They apply this logic when it comes to boat insurance, so why not health?

And why would it be wrong to do so?
Old 16-09-2021, 17:39   #2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We were informed Alberta declared a state of emergency, today, and this means at least one emergency and ICU nurse who has asthma, is going to be transferred to Calgary for the duration, if she survives. She is over 60, also. No one would make these decisions if there were no need. Idaho has also passed a new law permitting overwhelmed hospitals to ration care. Sounds like triage to me. Sorry guys. For those who don't know, Idaho shares a border with Canada.

Sorry to be the bearer of ill tidings. Be careful, stay well.

Ann
Things are so bad in AB that they are going to be transferring patients to ON. Depending on where they are coming from / going to that is roughly 3000KM.

More info on the situation: https://globalnews.ca/news/8196066/h...ember-16-2021/
Old 16-09-2021, 17:53   #2411

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30
Thumbs up Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_isaac View Post
Sadly, there shouldn’t even be an “anti-vax” camp. It’s existence is a testament to the extent that ignorance, quackery and, self indulgent selfishness are so prevalent.

History provides a helpful analogy for the importance of current efforts to achieve close to universal vaccination: the blackout implemented during the blitz of England in WW2. Without modern navigational instruments, german bombers would use any available light to help navigate towards British cities, and so everyone (even those miles away from a city or factory likely to be a target) was required to maintain a complete blackout after dark. Unsurprisingly, britons adopted the policy enthusiastically, knowing that even the small act of flipping a switch or drawing a blind was helping lessen the threat to their broader community.

Today from the anti-vaxxer crowd we hear some variation of: it’s my right to make my tea with the lights on!, I am “dark sensitive”, I don’t personally know anyone who has been bombed, what if I stub my toe with the lights off, I don’t live close to a factory or big city, I don’t believe in the accuracy of german bombers or the official published death tolls, the long term effects of darkness haven’t been studied, I refuse to live in fear of the nazis (and therefore bravely leave my lights on), or even deny that there’s a war on at all.

The risk isn’t to you. It’s to everyone. We all need to do our part. Thankfully, the overwhelming majority of Canadians are. Those continuing to leave their damn lights on increasingly stand out as beacons of selfish idiocy.
Brilliant
Old 16-09-2021, 18:23   #2412

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Things are so bad in AB that they are going to be transferring patients to ON. Depending on where they are coming from / going to that is roughly 3000KM.

More info on the situation: https://globalnews.ca/news/8196066/h...ember-16-2021/

Thank you for that NaClyDog. It is so sad. Doing what must be done, though. Facing up to the awfulness.

Ann
Old 16-09-2021, 18:40   #2413

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Originally Posted by NaClyDog

Just as Manitoba was forced to in the third wave. We have since reopened with mask restrictions, and our infection rate is lower, except for the Southern Health Region.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...date-1.6178029
Old 16-09-2021, 19:01   #2414

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_isaac View Post

Totally unappropriate to the situation.
Scientific Fact is:

- the so called vaccines do not prevent infection
- the so called vaccines do not prevent the spread
- the viral load in infected double vaccinated is 13 times higher than in recovered

so they do not protect others.

- they claim to protect from severe symptoms
- most infections are asymptomatic - no symptoms at all
- vaccines can produce severe reactions
- vaccines can cause death, there is a real additional risk.
- the vaccines train the immune system on a single thread and supress the natural immune system for other diseases

you may not die on covid, but everything else is more likely to kill you.

Vaccinated people are hospitalized too, and they die from or with covid and on other diseases not related to covid, by maybe related to the vaccines. Not reported at all how many vaccinated people die daily and on what.

there is no end of the pandemic, no matter how many are vaxxed, you need a shot, you need a second shot, you need a booster, a turbo, a afterburner, a refresher....

They are even so reckless to vax kids and babies, that are not affected of the virus at all. It is a shame. That is how nazis acted in WW2. And how the Germans were brought to cheer for the total war and why they started to hunt the jews - propaganda and misinformation, censorship, media control. This is what this vaxxer-agitators are doing today, it starts with words, discrimination, name calling, than separations, exclusions, depriving of rights, opression. Shame on you.
Old 16-09-2021, 19:18   #2415

Boat: Rafiki 37

Please, this is a thread about CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS. It's not a thread to spread misinformation or opinions or false claims. There are ample threads out there if you want to pontificate. PLEASE, leave this thread to information relevant to CANADIANS.