Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 16-09-2021, 19:50   #2416

Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote: "Scientific Fact is...."

What "fact" is that then? Would you be kind enuff to give us a reference or two so we may evaluate for ourselves the credibility of whomever has conveyed this/these "fact(s)" to you?

And as Mike is requesting - could you please make those references relevant to the specifically Canadian situation? Quantification - verifiable numbers - is always an appropriate podium for such as would convince others.

Cheers

TrentePieds
Old 16-09-2021, 21:01   #2417

What planet are you on? Does it not have Google and links you can post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Scientific Fact is:

- the so called vaccines do not prevent infection
- the so called vaccines do not prevent the spread
Wrong. The vaccines reduce both the likelihood of being infected and the severity and duration of illness if infected. Less overall illness protects the unvaccinated as well. You're welcome.

- the viral load in infected double vaccinated is 13 times higher than in recovered. False
- the vaccines train the immune system on a single thread and supress the natural immune system for other diseases. False

you may not die on covid, but everything else is more likely to kill you. False
... but hey, don't stop now... go full Godwin...
Quote:
That is how nazis acted in WW2. And how the Germans were brought to cheer for the total war and why they started to hunt the jews - propaganda and misinformation, censorship, media control. This is what this vaxxer-agitators are doing today, it starts with words, discrimination, name calling, than separations, exclusions, depriving of rights, opression. Shame on you.
My eyes hurt from the rolling. What does it feel like, to knowingly be so wrong?
Old 16-09-2021, 21:08   #2418

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

My eyes hurt from the rolling. What does it feel like, to knowingly be so wrong?
Please Lake... let it go... There are other threads to bang our heads against if that's what we want.

In other news total chaos here in AB as no two organizations can seem to decipher Kenney's vague "exemption program" in the same way. My gawd he and his gov't can't seem to communicate their way out of a wet paper bag.

Old 16-09-2021, 23:34   #2419

Boat: 1964 Van de Stadt, Rebel 41,

I think Canada, and BC in particular have struck a pretty good balance thus far.

Flexible, fact-driven restrictions that have tracked the growing science and case numbers. Nothing approaching the level of hard lock down seen in France, and many other countries. Financial support - as inadequate as it will invariably be - for those worst affected. Most importantly, ICUs with sufficient capacity. In the midst of a pandemic, I’ve been provided two free, efficacious vaccines at no cost or inconvenience. Because of all of that, I’ve been able to spend the last two months sailing around a largely vaccinated province in accordance with public health guidelines.

I am hopeful that if we all continue to pull together, as the overwhelming majority are, we will be through the worst of this. To quote Gordon Bok, the world is always turning toward the morning.
Old 17-09-2021, 03:33   #2420
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Health Canada has approved brand names for Pfizer, Moderna, and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine has now been dubbed "Comirnaty".
The Moderna vaccine will go by "SpikeVax".
The AstraZeneca vaccine will be named "Vaxzevria".

Health Canada points out the vaccines themselves are not changing — only the names are.

Pfizer and Moderna say the change marks the full approval of the vaccines, by Health Canada, which were previously approved under an interim order, that was set to expire today.

During the interim order, the vaccines didn't go by their brand names, but now that new and more long-term data has been submitted and approved, they will go by their permanent name.

The FDA approved new names in the United States earlier this summer, and the vaccines have been going by their brand names in the EU since the spring.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana.../vaccines.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...ist-drugs.html

Old 17-09-2021, 03:53   #2421
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

COVID-19 during pregnancy means 10 times higher risk of ICU admission, Canadian data [1] suggests.
Vaccines both safe and effective while pregnant, medical experts say.
More about ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid...tion-1.6176742

[1] “The Incidence, Severity, and Management of COVID-19 in Critically Ill Pregnant Individuals” ~ by Laveena Munshi et al
Quote:
“The rate of SARS-CoV-2 infection in pregnancy does not appear to be higher than in the general population; however, compared to their non-pregnant counterparts, pregnant individuals have higher morbidity and mortality, with a higher risk of intensive care unit (ICU) admission, mechanical ventilation, and need for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). They also have a higher frequency of pre-eclampsia, Cesarean delivery, and a higher rate of preterm birth ...”
https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/scie...t-individuals/

Old 17-09-2021, 08:50   #2422

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Totally unappropriate to the situation.
Scientific Fact is:

- the so called vaccines do not prevent infection
- the so called vaccines do not prevent the spread
- the viral load in infected double vaccinated is 13 times higher than in recovered

so they do not protect others.

- they claim to protect from severe symptoms
- most infections are asymptomatic - no symptoms at all
- vaccines can produce severe reactions
- vaccines can cause death, there is a real additional risk.
- the vaccines train the immune system on a single thread and supress the natural immune system for other diseases

you may not die on covid, but everything else is more likely to kill you.

Vaccinated people are hospitalized too, and they die from or with covid and on other diseases not related to covid, by maybe related to the vaccines. Not reported at all how many vaccinated people die daily and on what.

there is no end of the pandemic, no matter how many are vaxxed, you need a shot, you need a second shot, you need a booster, a turbo, a afterburner, a refresher....

They are even so reckless to vax kids and babies, that are not affected of the virus at all. It is a shame. That is how nazis acted in WW2. And how the Germans were brought to cheer for the total war and why they started to hunt the jews - propaganda and misinformation, censorship, media control. This is what this vaxxer-agitators are doing today, it starts with words, discrimination, name calling, than separations, exclusions, depriving of rights, opression. Shame on you.
Don’t feed the troll, and you are an abhorrent individual equating the medical professionals putting their lives on the line to save lives with the Nazis is disgusting.
Old 17-09-2021, 08:58   #2423

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_isaac View Post
Sadly, there shouldn’t even be an “anti-vax” camp. It’s existence is a testament to the extent that ignorance, quackery and, self indulgent selfishness are so prevalent.

History provides a helpful analogy for the importance of current efforts to achieve close to universal vaccination: the blackout implemented during the blitz of England in WW2. Without modern navigational instruments, german bombers would use any available light to help navigate towards British cities, and so everyone (even those miles away from a city or factory likely to be a target) was required to maintain a complete blackout after dark. Unsurprisingly, britons adopted the policy enthusiastically, knowing that even the small act of flipping a switch or drawing a blind was helping lessen the threat to their broader community.

Today from the anti-vaxxer crowd we hear some variation of: it’s my right to make my tea with the lights on!, I am “dark sensitive”, I don’t personally know anyone who has been bombed, what if I stub my toe with the lights off, I don’t live close to a factory or big city, I don’t believe in the accuracy of german bombers or the official published death tolls, the long term effects of darkness haven’t been studied, I refuse to live in fear of the nazis (and therefore bravely leave my lights on), or even deny that there’s a war on at all.

The risk isn’t to you. It’s to everyone. We all need to do our part. Thankfully, the overwhelming majority of Canadians are. Those continuing to leave their damn lights on increasingly stand out as beacons of selfish idiocy.
Magnificent! Thank you!
Old 17-09-2021, 09:00   #2424

Has anyone else noticed the number of spelling mistakes, typos, and grammatical errors the anti-vaxxers tend to make?

Just saying.
Old 17-09-2021, 09:09   #2425

Quote:
I think Canada, and BC in particular have struck a pretty good balance thus far.

Flexible, fact-driven restrictions that have tracked the growing science and case numbers. Nothing approaching the level of hard lock down seen in France, and many other countries. Financial support - as inadequate as it will invariably be - for those worst affected. Most importantly, ICUs with sufficient capacity. In the midst of a pandemic, I’ve been provided two free, efficacious vaccines at no cost or inconvenience. Because of all of that, I’ve been able to spend the last two months sailing around a largely vaccinated province in accordance with public health guidelines.

I am hopeful that if we all continue to pull together, as the overwhelming majority are, we will be through the worst of this. To quote Gordon Bok, the world is always turning toward the morning.
Me too. SLOWLY circumnavigated Vancouver Island this summer. Explored just about every mile of the coastline - up all the inlets and sounds except the Alberni Canal. What a magnificent trip! What a magnificent area! (except the Hot Springs were closed). Trip of a lifetime. I recommend it to everyone.

And always consistent with Public Health Orders, etc. re Covid. I agree: BC has done an excellent job.
Old 17-09-2021, 09:36   #2426

Absolutely agree that we've done rather well in BC, and if I may say so: I believe the reason is that in contradistinction to just about every other jurisdiction I can think of, here in BC "die grosse Kanonen" in government, specifically the Minister of Health, Adrian Dix, and the Provincial Premier, John Horgan, have deferred to the medical people, specifically to "Auntie Bonnie", the Chief Medial Officer. They have never once gainsaid her in public and never once so much as thought of stealing the limelight during their broadcast briefings .

What stunningly unusual conduct for politicians! Would that politicians around the world would be equally well advised!

TrentePieds
Old 17-09-2021, 09:37   #2427

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

BC is definitely in better shape than Alberta or Saskatchewan, but they're still struggling. Compared to the rest of the provinces, they are third worst. They aren't Alberta yet, but they are dangerously close:

B.C. says it can't take patients from Alberta's overwhelmed ICUs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 10.35.39 .jpg
Views:	71
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	245468  
Old 17-09-2021, 11:08   #2428

Boat: 1964 Van de Stadt, Rebel 41,

Scorpius, we too slowly circumnavigated Vancouver Island. What a trip! Must have been just out of sync with you.

Mike, I completely agree (as I seem to with most of your posts... first time caller, long time fan). The line between being in “good shape” and critical is a very thin one, hence the need to be vigilant and continually track and respond to emerging case numbers, variants, and health care capacity, etc., in a science first manner. What Tomas Pueyo termed the “hammer and the dance”. Kenney unfortunately did the opposite: assuming that a lull in cases was reason to puff out his political chest, declare victory, and encourage everyone to drop their guard. The virus doesn’t play politics.

Those that minimize the seriousness of the pandemic should ponder what it means when doctors in a wealthy country like Canada, in peacetime, are forced to triage. To be forced to leave people untreated for a whole range of urgent medical procedures because anti-vaxxers have filled up the ICUs, and there are no available beds.

So, BC is doing well... for now. But the most important part of that success to date is that if the warning signs get stronger, I am confident Dr. Henry will be given the support to take measured, science based measures to keep us tipping over the edge. As Trentepieds said, its to the credit of our political leaders that they’ve consistently given her the space to do so.

In the meantime, for the 15 plus % of holdouts (the beacons of idiocy) prolonging this pandemic and filling the ICUs, most Canadians (this one included) are reluctant to see anything that physically forces anyone to get the jab. But, most (including this one) are fine with their world becoming ever smaller. And no, you don’t have a “constitutional right” to refuse a vaccine and still go to a restaurant, movie theatre, etc. Choices have consequences. We teach 4 year olds that.
Old 17-09-2021, 11:31   #2429

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Scorpius, we too slowly circumnavigated Vancouver Island. What a trip! Must have been just out of sync with you.
I'm so envious of you two...

Quote:
Mike, I completely agree (as I seem to with most of your posts... first time caller, long time fan). The line between being in “good shape” and critical is a very thin one, hence the need to be vigilant and continually track and respond to emerging case numbers, variants, and health care capacity, etc., in a science first manner. What Tomas Pueyo termed the “hammer and the dance”. Kenney unfortunately did the opposite: assuming that a lull in cases was reason to puff out his political chest, declare victory, and encourage everyone to drop their guard. The virus doesn’t play politics.
Completely agree Nicholas. Kenney, much like a few other politicians in Canada and around the world, was driven by ideology and political expedience, rather than science and experts. And just like everywhere else that has followed this path, the disaster was eminently predictable (and predicted).

BC has politicians who actually listen to their scientists. They've increased public health measures when and where it was needed, and kept a close eye on the numbers so they could act quickly. But as they readily admit, this virus is a slippery beastie. Give it any chance and it will find a way through the barriers.

This whole summer has actually provided a pretty good real-world experiment in approaches. We had the Alberta and Saskatchewan "PARTY LIKE THE PANDEMIC IS DONE!" approach. And we've had provinces like Ontario, BC, Manitoba and Quebec keep various levels of public health measures in place. The results seem to be pretty clear.

Quote:
In the meantime, for the 15 plus % of holdouts (the beacons of idiocy) prolonging this pandemic and filling the ICUs, most Canadians (this one included) are reluctant to see anything that physically forces anyone to get the jab. But, most (including this one) are fine with their world becoming ever smaller. And no, you don’t have a “constitutional right” to refuse a vaccine and still go to a restaurant, movie theatre, etc. Choices have consequences. We teach 4 year olds that.
Once again, completely agree. No one should be forced to take any jab, but that doesn't mean those who refuse should face no consequences. The choice to vaccinate, or not, during a pandemic is NOT simply a personal choice. It affects everyone around, and it dumps a real cost (in dollars and lives) onto all society.

Those that continue to spread lies and misinformation are perhaps the greatest threat to all of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image006.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	245484  
Old 17-09-2021, 12:22   #2430

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Can't you google yourself?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...1262415v1.full