Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 17-09-2021, 13:10   #2431

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

These charts show how much more often unvaccinated Albertans are being hospitalized and dying from COVID-19

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tion-1.6178449

Sample chart: Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20210917-130830_Firefox.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	245490
Old 17-09-2021, 13:21   #2432

Boat: Hanse 348

I am in New England and considering a visit up to QC. Our cousin in Montreal has told me that they are now at 80+% vaccinated. I am not sure if he means for the Montreal, Quebec. I am sure he can't mean all of CAN as from reading this thread, midwest is exploding with cases. Anyone know what the true numbers are?

If Quebec is really at 80%, case load has to be pretty stable and low. I am also assuming this is for age 12+, not the entire population? Though I know here in MA, by end of the month they should have close to 75% vaccinated.
Old 17-09-2021, 13:36   #2433

Boat: Sceptre 41

Here are the "% Fully Vaccinated" stats for each province/territory, as of Sept 16. The % is for the whole population, including under 12s.Click image for larger version

Name:	Vaccine(1).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	245493
Old 17-09-2021, 13:44   #2434

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I am in New England and considering a visit up to QC. Our cousin in Montreal has told me that they are now at 80+% vaccinated. I am not sure if he means for the Montreal, Quebec. I am sure he can't mean all of CAN as from reading this thread, midwest is exploding with cases. Anyone know what the true numbers are?

If Quebec is really at 80%, case load has to be pretty stable and low. I am also assuming this is for age 12+, not the entire population? Though I know here in MA, by end of the month they should have close to 75% vaccinated.
It's closer to 75% than 80% of the entire population of QC for a single dose. Fully vaccinated are a little above 72%.

Also, they have just instituted a vaccine passport which is required to go to most unessential places.

https://covid19tracker.ca/provincevac.html?p=QC
Old 17-09-2021, 14:41   #2435

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_isaac View Post
Scorpius, we too slowly circumnavigated Vancouver Island. What a trip! Must have been just out of sync with you.

Mike, I completely agree (as I seem to with most of your posts... first time caller, long time fan). The line between being in “good shape” and critical is a very thin one, hence the need to be vigilant and continually track and respond to emerging case numbers, variants, and health care capacity, etc., in a science first manner. What Tomas Pueyo termed the “hammer and the dance”. Kenney unfortunately did the opposite: assuming that a lull in cases was reason to puff out his political chest, declare victory, and encourage everyone to drop their guard. The virus doesn’t play politics.

Those that minimize the seriousness of the pandemic should ponder what it means when doctors in a wealthy country like Canada, in peacetime, are forced to triage. To be forced to leave people untreated for a whole range of urgent medical procedures because anti-vaxxers have filled up the ICUs, and there are no available beds.

So, BC is doing well... for now. But the most important part of that success to date is that if the warning signs get stronger, I am confident Dr. Henry will be given the support to take measured, science based measures to keep us tipping over the edge. As Trentepieds said, its to the credit of our political leaders that they’ve consistently given her the space to do so.

In the meantime, for the 15 plus % of holdouts (the beacons of idiocy) prolonging this pandemic and filling the ICUs, most Canadians (this one included) are reluctant to see anything that physically forces anyone to get the jab. But, most (including this one) are fine with their world becoming ever smaller. And no, you don’t have a “constitutional right” to refuse a vaccine and still go to a restaurant, movie theatre, etc. Choices have consequences. We teach 4 year olds that.
I guess 15% of parents forgot to teach this maxim to their four-year-olds.
Old 17-09-2021, 15:09   #2436

BTW, not that I would ever want to take people away from this site, but just in case you get tired of reading about sailing, check out the sub reddit forum, hermancainaward. But only if you are pro vaccine...Nothing to do with CAN directly, so this post is OT.
Old 17-09-2021, 15:10   #2437

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Here are the "% Fully Vaccinated" stats for each province/territory, as of Sept 16. The % is for the whole population, including under 12s.Attachment 245493
Interesting. In the States, some of the places with the highest rate are the Native American Reservations. Well into the 90+%.
Old 17-09-2021, 15:55   #2438

Boat: Hunter 386

"Vaccinations triple after Alberta announces its version of a vaccine passport"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...iple-1.6180529

You just need a big enough club to get their attention.

Quote:
Alberta Health reported 28,158 doses were administered at Alberta Health Services clinics and pharmacies on Thursday compared to 9,750 on Wednesday.
Old 17-09-2021, 15:58   #2439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
"Vaccinations triple after Alberta announces its version of a vaccine passport"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...iple-1.6180529

You just need a big enough club to get their attention.
This is the same trend other provinces have seen once they had made their announcements.
Old 17-09-2021, 16:43   #2440

Another thank you for a wonderful post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_isaac View Post
Sadly, there shouldn’t even be an “anti-vax” camp. It’s existence is a testament to the extent that ignorance, quackery and, self indulgent selfishness are so prevalent.

History provides a helpful analogy for the importance of current efforts to achieve close to universal vaccination: the blackout implemented during the blitz of England in WW2. Without modern navigational instruments, german bombers would use any available light to help navigate towards British cities, and so everyone (even those miles away from a city or factory likely to be a target) was required to maintain a complete blackout after dark. Unsurprisingly, britons adopted the policy enthusiastically, knowing that even the small act of flipping a switch or drawing a blind was helping lessen the threat to their broader community.

Today from the anti-vaxxer crowd we hear some variation of: it’s my right to make my tea with the lights on!, I am “dark sensitive”, I don’t personally know anyone who has been bombed, what if I stub my toe with the lights off, I don’t live close to a factory or big city, I don’t believe in the accuracy of german bombers or the official published death tolls, the long term effects of darkness haven’t been studied, I refuse to live in fear of the nazis (and therefore bravely leave my lights on), or even deny that there’s a war on at all.

The risk isn’t to you. It’s to everyone. We all need to do our part. Thankfully, the overwhelming majority of Canadians are. Those continuing to leave their damn lights on increasingly stand out as beacons of selfish idiocy.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 17-09-2021, 17:04   #2441

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Looking grim!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/covid-19?cmp...ef_4720_313512
Old 17-09-2021, 17:06   #2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
I wonder why?

https://globalnews.ca/video/8194570/...d-19-decisions
Old 18-09-2021, 02:30   #2443
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Has anyone else noticed the number of spelling mistakes, typos, and grammatical errors the anti-vaxxers tend to make?
Just saying.
Indeed.
Grammar and punctuation are knowing the difference between:
Your shti.
and
You’re shti.
Or the difference between dam & damm.

Or ...

Old 20-09-2021, 10:04   #2444

And there's always Weldon.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 20-09-2021, 10:37   #2445

Boat: Allied Seawind II

Is "fully vaccinated" 3 shots or 4 shots now?