Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 26-09-2021, 14:58   #2506

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

It's instructive to look at the living experiment we've been running in the various provinces. We had some provinces, like Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes, and even Manitoba, who kept up some or all their Covid restrictions after the third wave. And then we have provinces like Alberta, Saskatchewan, and to a lesser extent BC, which basically proceeded like the pandemic was over, and let up most or all restrictions over the summer.

The results are in:

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...ast7&map=pt#a2
Old 26-09-2021, 14:58   #2507

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

BC has not been doing too well either but appears to be in better shape than Alberta. We had 743 new cases on Friday with 349 in hospital and 149 in ICU's. However, the gov't is transferring Covid patients from ICU's in the north to southern BC hospitals because of the overload in the north. 88.5% of the ICU patients are unvaccinated and only 6% fully so.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...pt24-1.6179888

I'm not sure how comparable the stats are between provinces. I understand that BC's daily count of hospital covid cases includes people only while they are still infectious. As of last week, there were a further 152 patients in hospital who had originally been admitted with covid, were no longer infectious but still in hospital.
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844

We are also seeing record numbers of tests being administered:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...eact-1.6188970

Our 80% fully vaccinated level is right on the national average but considerably higher than Alberta and Saskatchewan.
Old 26-09-2021, 15:32   #2508

Ontario's COVID-19 rates lower than expected due to public health measures, say experts

Quote:
The province's chief medical officer of health, Dr. Kieran Moore, attributed the stable cases to Ontarians' adherence to public health measures.

"I think Ontarians are being prudent and cautious and have realized that this virus can take off at any given time if we let our guard down," he said.

"Sadly, we only have to look out west to see what can happen if we let our guard down with this delta [variant]."
Old 26-09-2021, 15:35   #2509

Isn't that just absolutely shocking? Who would have thought that following public health measures would lead to lower transmission rates. This is stunning news!

Not really but based on what I'm seeing in many places it seems like it should be.
Old 26-09-2021, 16:30   #2510

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "But ya, in Alberta at least, it is 100% the politicians' fault with their rollercoaster policies and lack of commitment."

Indeed! Let's hope that the damage done to poor Dr. Hinshaw's reputation by the towering intellects "in charge" will not be lasting!

TP
A lot of people turned on Hinshaw. I just don't get it. Just like I don't get calls for Kenney to resign right now. I really dislike the dude but if he resigned its 60/40 he would be replaced by someone worse. And if Hinshaw resigned it would be almost guaranteed that the replacement would be a lot worse and totally ineffective.

I keep wanting to disbelieve the mob mentality exists in our "enlightened" era but it is alive and well on all sides of the political spectrum and our guillotines are just a bit more subtle.
Old 26-09-2021, 16:54   #2511
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Yet, the Blame Game, seems to be a major side effect of Covid.

Vaccination choices aside, is it possible that regional transmissions could be like the path of a pinball where a slight change of mask choice, public transport and employment conditions factored into the rate difference , rather than just enlightened awareness.

My very smart and careful sister in Vancouver has a very active lifestyle, travels constantly, yet takes all the precautions, whereas my brother in Alberta is a homebody, but less diligent.

Sometimes it's just bad luck to test positive and not something to Shame a region over.
Old 26-09-2021, 17:46   #2512

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Accompanying the protests against public health measures in BC has been a huge increase in the number of Human Rights Act complaints that is choking the system. Many of the complaints have not been made within the boundaries of the Act, ie, don't reference an action prohibited in the legislation, and are more general complaints that public health orders are taking away individual rights and freedoms.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ints-1.6188593
Old 26-09-2021, 18:53   #2513

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
BC has not been doing too well either but appears to be in better shape than Alberta. We had 743 new cases on Friday with 349 in hospital and 149 in ICU's. However, the gov't is transferring Covid patients from ICU's in the north to southern BC hospitals because of the overload in the north. 88.5% of the ICU patients are unvaccinated and only 6% fully so.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...pt24-1.6179888
We did an RV trip through BC and Yukon last month and the difference in mask use was astonishing. Yukon folks were absolutely into it with literally every person you saw masked. Vancouver and the island were almost as good. Most of northern BC was terrible. We went into a busy Tim Horton's and no one including staff other than us had masks. It seemed uneven, in one community it would be not too bad and a hundred km away it was terrible.
Old 26-09-2021, 19:08   #2514

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We did an RV trip through BC and Yukon last month and the difference in mask use was astonishing. Yukon folks were absolutely into it with literally every person you saw masked. Vancouver and the island were almost as good. Most of northern BC was terrible. We went into a busy Tim Horton's and no one including staff other than us had masks. It seemed uneven, in one community it would be not too bad and a hundred km away it was terrible.
I spent three weeks in late August/early September in Castlegar. Almost no one was wearing masks. When I got back to southern Alberta, and then Calgary, again; no masks.

Now, everyone is wearing masks. Too little, too late I guess.
Old 27-09-2021, 08:10   #2515

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I spent three weeks in late August/early September in Castlegar. Almost no one was wearing masks. When I got back to southern Alberta, and then Calgary, again; no masks.

Now, everyone is wearing masks. Too little, too late I guess.
British Columbia reinstated its mask mandate (for indoor spaces) on August 25th.
Old 27-09-2021, 08:47   #2516

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
British Columbia reinstated its mask mandate (for indoor spaces) on August 25th.

Guess the word hadn't reached the Kootenays till after we left [emoji6].

I tell you, I was very much the odd-man out while walking around the grocery and liquor stores when we were there. Same in Pincher Creek area, and same in Calgary up until the renewed provincial mandate.
Old 27-09-2021, 08:54   #2517

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Guess the word hadn't reached the Kootenays till after we left [emoji6].

I tell you, I was very much the odd-man out while walking around the grocery and liquor stores when we were there.
really? even in BC "government" (BCLDB) liquor stores? (They've been consistently inline with regulations, perhaps tougher)
Old 27-09-2021, 09:20   #2518

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
I think it goes beyond covid exhaustion. When health officials are refusing to limit attendance at hockey games, it's an entirely different "issue".

Wrong

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tter-1.6190224
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 27-09-2021, 11:03   #2519

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
After that, I think Kenny is courting criminal negligence causing death, charges.
WOW!
Old 27-09-2021, 11:32   #2520

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Meanwhile, on BC's north coast...

Covid vaccination rates in the Smithers area are low and Covid cases are spiking.

This husband is understandably upset because his injured wife was transferred to the Kitimat hospital because the Smithers hospital has so many Covid patients:

https://www.terracestandard.com/news...er-to-kitimat/

Here's a short writeup on the Smithers Covid numbers.

https://www.interior-news.com/news/s...ons-skyrocket/

Do these unvaccinated people have no shame in how their choice is negatively impacting other people who's surgeries are being postponed, or forcing injured people to be transferred to other cities?