Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 27-09-2021, 12:01   #2521

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
Meanwhile, on BC's north coast...

Covid vaccination rates in the Smithers area are low and Covid cases are spiking.

This husband is understandably upset because his injured wife was transferred to the Kitimat hospital because the Smithers hospital has so many Covid patients:

https://www.terracestandard.com/news...er-to-kitimat/

Here's a short writeup on the Smithers Covid numbers.

https://www.interior-news.com/news/s...ons-skyrocket/

Do these unvaccinated people have no shame in how their choice is negatively impacting other people who's surgeries are being postponed, or forcing injured people to be transferred to other cities?
Vaccinated get sick, hospitalized too and do spread the virus, sometimes even with higher viral loads.
Old 27-09-2021, 12:11   #2522

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Vaccinated get sick, hospitalized too and do spread the virus, sometimes even with higher viral loads.
I hate to do it, but do you have legitimate sources for this ascertation?
Old 27-09-2021, 12:17   #2523

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I hate to do it, but do you have legitimate sources for this ascertation?

It's possible the vaccine only reduces the chance of infection by slightly more than half.....

• 7-Day Rolling Average of Case Rate: 10.0 per 100,000 SF residents
  • 7-Day Rolling Average of Case Rate- Not Fully Vaccinated: 17.4 per 100,000 SF residents who are not fully vaccinated
  • 7-Day Rolling Average of Case Rate- Fully Vaccinated: 7.2 per 100,000 SF residents who are fully vaccinated
https://sf.gov/information/updated-d...ed-individuals

Counting bodies or ICU beds is bad science. Once there is 100% vaccination, 100% of cases will be transmitted by people who have been vaccinated.
Old 27-09-2021, 12:28   #2524

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinarius View Post
It's possible the vaccine only reduces the chance of infection by slightly more than half.....

• 7-Day Rolling Average of Case Rate- Not Fully Vaccinated: 17.4 per 100,000 SF residents who are not fully vaccinated
  • 7-Day Rolling Average of Case Rate- Fully Vaccinated: 7.2 per 100,000 SF residents who are fully vaccinated

Counting bodies or ICU beds is bad science. Once there is 100% vaccination, 100% of cases will be transmitted by people who have been vaccinated.
That's not an accurate reflection of the state of affairs.

"Not fully vaccinated" includes people one day after the first shot and people 13 days after the second shot....a period of time where the vaccine hasn't reached its full effect, which results in higher infection rates than people who are fully vaccinated.

What are the numbers for the fully unvaccinated?
Old 27-09-2021, 12:28   #2525

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinarius View Post

Yes being vaccinated with those numbers gives you a 60% decrease in the chances of contracting Covid. Still a fantastic reason to get vaccinated.

Data would also be useful (more interesting) if it differentiated between the types of vaccine. The U.S. used a lot of the JnJ vaccine which was proven to be much less effective.

Why is counting ICU beds with Covid patients bad science? based on the statistics (here in Ontario, Canada) on average 95%+ of Covid patients in ICU are unvaccinated, or partially vaccinated. The numbers tell a story.

Get vaccinated and in the worst case and you get Covid, your outcome will be much better than if you hadn't. seems like a good bet to me.

right now 80% of our daily case numbers are coming from unvaccinated, partially vaccinated or "unknown" individuals. Yes some vaccinated will still get it but that was always the case, no one hid that fact.
Old 27-09-2021, 13:20   #2526

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
really? even in BC "government" (BCLDB) liquor stores? (They've been consistently inline with regulations, perhaps tougher)

I was frequenting the non-government store. Seemed to have better IPA selection . I left Castlegar Sept. 8.
Old 27-09-2021, 14:45   #2527

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Let me see: In BC, 85% of the people in ICU's with Covid come from the 20% of the population who are not vaccinated whilst only 15% of the people in ICU's with Covid come from the 80 % of the population who ARE vaccinated. I believe that works out to: You are 37 times more likely to end up in an ICU with Covid (and perhaps dying there) if you are not vaccinated than if you are. At odds of 37:1 I would not make the bet.

Yes, you can still catch (and spread) Covid even if you have been vaccinated - although I don't know about an infected, vaccinated person carrying a higher virus load than an unvaccinated infected person. My understanding is that the vaccines DO not stop the nasal passages and throat from becoming infected - giving you, essentially, a case of the flu. However what the vaccines DO accomplish is they stop the disease from then progressing to your lungs, making you REALLY sick and perhaps killing you. Thus vaccinated people have, overall, a FAR smaller chance of being hospitalized and ending up in the ICU or morgue.

Get vaccinated.
Old 27-09-2021, 14:49   #2528

Boat: Sceptre 41

Skorpius: unfortunately, no amount of evidence-based argument/facts will convince some, their brains aren't wired that way.
Old 27-09-2021, 14:54   #2529

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Skorpius: unfortunately, no amount of evidence-based argument/facts will convince some, their brains aren't wired that way.
Old 27-09-2021, 14:55   #2530

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Let me see: In BC, 85% of the people in ICU's with Covid come from the 20% of the population who are not vaccinated whilst only 15% of the people in ICU's with Covid come from the 80 % of the population who ARE vaccinated. I believe that works out to: You are 37 times more likely to end up in an ICU with Covid (and perhaps dying there) if you are not vaccinated than if you are. At odds of 37:1 I would not make the bet.

Yes, you can still catch (and spread) Covid even if you have been vaccinated - although I don't know about an infected, vaccinated person carrying a higher virus load than an unvaccinated infected person. My understanding is that the vaccines DO not stop the nasal passages and throat from becoming infected - giving you, essentially, a case of the flu. However what the vaccines DO accomplish is they stop the disease from then progressing to your lungs, making you REALLY sick and perhaps killing you. Thus vaccinated people have, overall, a FAR smaller chance of being hospitalized and ending up in the ICU or morgue.

Get vaccinated.

Yeah ... you're trying to introduce too much fact and logic for some people to absorb
Old 27-09-2021, 15:04   #2531

Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm sitting in a 2 1/2 hour lineup for the next ferry back to the (very wet) Sunshine Coast (a name coined by a real estate agent in the 1930's who wanted to sell more cottage lots. It has nothing to do with the actual climate or weather) so, although I realize trying to convince these jokers is a waste of time, I have quite a bit of time to waste.
Old 27-09-2021, 15:07   #2532

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Yeah ... you're trying to introduce too much fact and logic for some people to absorb
Blame it on the Aspergers.
Old 27-09-2021, 15:51   #2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
How is that wrong?

Clearly says...
Quote:
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney rejected calls for a "hard lockdown" during an appearance on a radio program Sunday, the same day that his province's former top doctor signed a letter calling for immediate "firebreak" measures to deal with surging cases of COVID-19.
Old 27-09-2021, 16:20   #2534

Here is some news relevant to Canada:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/h...4-522b6563cf04

Also:

The letter in the article from the Point Roberts Chamber of Commerce sounds dire.

I wonder if the marina in Point Roberts is even open these days.
Old 27-09-2021, 16:33   #2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCheneaux View Post
Here is some news relevant to Canada:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/h...4-522b6563cf04

Also:

The letter in the article from the Point Roberts Chamber of Commerce sounds dire.

I wonder if the marina in Point Roberts is even open these days.
Vaccinated Americans are allowed to come to Canada. The US has decided that vaccinated Canadians are not fit to go to the US. How is that a Canada problem?