Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 30-09-2021, 03:30   #2596

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Wonder why cruisers reported not being able to go back to Canada and cruisers were stuck in the Bahamas, Thailand, and other locations around the world. I don't know the laws but do know they aren't followed a lot of times.
Canadian Cruisers in the Bahamas are having a tough time getting back to Canada, not because Canada isn't letting them back in but because the U.S. is not issuing Cruising licenses for them to legally transit the U.S. to get back to Canada.
Old 30-09-2021, 04:14   #2597

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Canadian Cruisers in the Bahamas are having a tough time getting back to Canada, not because Canada isn't letting them back in but because the U.S. is not issuing Cruising licenses for them to legally transit the U.S. to get back to Canada.
Thanks. Glad we are doing something right for a change.
Old 30-09-2021, 04:18   #2598

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Let's not get this thread closed!

Excerpted from our Forum Rules:

Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.

Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ork&page=rules
Thanks for the reminder. A lot of people here needed it and hopefully will be able to keep their eye on the ball now.
Old 30-09-2021, 04:27   #2599

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Thanks. Glad we are doing something right for a change.
Trust me, you're not even doing that right!

Canadians can fly in ( and fly home), but not drive, but can pay a driver to bring their car to their place in the U.S. Canadians can't get a cruising license to move their boat to Canada BUT can pay a Canadian Captain to do the exact same thing.

I guess on the whole its not much more confusing than the U.S. was before covid!

On the upside a lot more Canadians are boating because of Covid and more local cruising is starting to happen!!
Old 30-09-2021, 06:56   #2600

Boat: Rafiki 37

Again folks, I apologize for taking the bait. I know it's hard, but if we all just ignore him, he will go away. So just don't respond to him, except to correct outright misinformation (as you just did pcmm ). Otherwise, as Gord says, this thread will get closed and we'll lose the only space we have to discuss CANADIAN COVID NEWS.
Old 30-09-2021, 06:59   #2601

Boat: Hunter 386

Hey! Kmac is one of three people I have blocked and all of you are forcing me to read his... his... oh never mind. The point is a) ignore him and b) if you can't ignore him, don't quote him.

Please and thank-you.

Meanwhile:
Quote:
U.S. kids could get Pfizer shots by Halloween, Canadian approval still uncertain
I still haven't passed my online virologist degree so this stuff confuses the heck out of me. But I really don't understand the reluctance to lower the ages. The one thing the anti have right (in my opinion) is we don't know the absolute results of vaccine effects for a long time — so why wait?
Old 30-09-2021, 07:57   #2602

Mac, the processes are in place to ensure vaccines are as safe as possible given the circumstances. These vaccines have moved very fast through development, trial and testing, and then approval. Could it be faster? I suppose... but it has moved very rapidly by any normal standards.

This, of course, is part of the "anti" problem we see. Anti-vaxxers (in all their flavours) latch onto this as a key piece of evidence in their disinformation crusade.

BTW... the process starts with the company submitting an application. Does anyone know if Pfizer has even applied to Health Canada for this younger cohort?
Old 30-09-2021, 08:09   #2603

I just read the letter from the AMA's "Section of Family Medicine" addressed to their members, and I assume, patients as well. Pretty scathing stuff:

Quote:
The decisions made by the Government of Alberta have brought us here. Their refusal to make difficult choices, or to follow the evidence and the science readily available to them, as well as their insistence on prematurely declaring us “Open for Summer,” set the stage for this devastating fourth wave of the pandemic. Doctors and health experts across the province warned the government that their decisions would lead us to exactly this outcome. They refused to listen. As an Albertan, you should be angry that it has come to this – we certainly are.
They, along with other groups, are calling for another complete lockdown ("fire break"). This is another red line Kenney says he won't cross... I say he'll be forced to reverse in about a week, maybe two.

BTW, on a personal note, my brother-in-law is an Alberta anesthesiologist. He just had a Covid near-death experience during an emergency cesarean case. They came close to losing the mom and child because all the trained staff has been shifted to caring for Covid-19 patients.
Old 30-09-2021, 08:14   #2604

Boat: Sceptre 41

Pfizer has not yet applied to Health Canada for use in children.

Vaccines in Canada: AZ, Pfizer, Moderna, and Janssen (J&J) are approved for use in Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana.../vaccines.html
Old 30-09-2021, 08:39   #2605

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Name calling isn't going to help keep the thread open. It might not even comply with forum rules.

As far as "disinformation", I called the progression of covid early on when people were saying closed borders would stop it, then masks would stop it, then vaccination would stop it. I told you to learn to live with it because it's here to stay. Just like the seasonal flu. Guess what? I was right. I understand your desperation for a quick fix but that's not going to happen and chasing a dragon to slay isn't the answer.

Even with 100% vaccination rate it wont go away. It's not effective enough against variants to stop the spread. Encouraging violence against the unvaccinated because they are "jeopardizing you health" is foolish not to mention criminal.
Agree. Ugly vitriol such as was directed at me recently here is the sort of rhetoric that is going to shut this thread down. The usual suspects will have only themselves to blame.

"Are you Canadian? If not GET OFF THIS THREAD!" is an inappropriate and discriminatory comment and has no place in this or any other thread on this forum. It is inexcusable as are the continuous false accusations
and insults directed at anyone with a contrary opinion.
Old 30-09-2021, 09:01   #2606

Come on chaps - that's probably quite enuff :-)!

As I see it, Americans are always welcome here, only provided they leave the making of comments regarding Covid's reign in this 'ere colony, and regarding Canadian governance generally, to Canadians. Surely that is a tenet all polite guests would observe?

Very few Americans have the knowledge of Canadian affairs enabling them to make observations on such matters that could be of any value to us, though, of course, there must be a few who do.

Let us therefore just let any further comments from those who obviously don't have such knowledge flow gently out to sea :-)!

Cheers

TrentePieds
Old 30-09-2021, 09:04   #2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Pfizer has not yet applied to Health Canada for use in children.

Vaccines in Canada: AZ, Pfizer, Moderna, and Janssen (J&J) are approved for use in Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana.../vaccines.html
What about the others? Does Canada have different age groups of children that are looked at for drug approval?
Old 30-09-2021, 09:09   #2608

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Come on chaps - that's probably quite enuff :-)!

As I see it, Americans are always welcome here, only provided they leave the making of comments regarding Covid's reign in this 'ere colony, and regarding Canadian governance generally, to Canadians. Surely that is a tenet all polite guests would observe?

Very few Americans have the knowledge of Canadian affairs enabling them to make observations on such matters that could be of any value to us, though, of course, there must be a few who do.

Let us therefore just let any further comments from those who obviously don't have such knowledge flow gently out to sea :-)!

Cheers

TrentePieds
Sorry to inform you that Covid is a global issue and requires a coordinated global response for optimal outcome however bleak that may be. I know, a coordinated global response is just a dream.
Old 30-09-2021, 09:12   #2609
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Health Canada authorizes use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine in children 12 to 15 years of age ~ May 5, 2021
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...rs-of-age.html

Pfizer said, on September 20/21, its research shows its product works for children aged five to 11 and that it will also seek U.S., and other, authorizations for this age group, soon.
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...opline-results
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-5-11-n1279939

Old 30-09-2021, 09:13   #2610

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
What about the others? Does Canada have different age groups of children that are looked at for drug approval?
I didn't give full info above (which IS available on the link).
Pfizer and Moderna ARE approved for children aged 12 and older.

No application yet for under 12s.

There might be other vaccines being worked on (for adults and/or kids), but none yet approved by Health Canada. The link above gives the official status.

Another important link is the Federal "National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI). Although technically" advisory" - - Provinces can make their own decisions (subject to Health Canada regulations) - - NACI tends to be listened to
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...-vaccines.html

Thank you for asking.