Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2021, 10:28   #2686

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht.wanderer View Post
How on Earth can those who chose to be vaccinated, actually be so afraid of folk who choose not to have the procedure. Surely, vaccinated people are the one’s who pose most risk to those who are not ? Seems pretty odd to the thinking Man..
Pretty simple really. The unvaccinated population is where the virus circulates freely and mutates into new variants.

Think about that.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:34   #2687

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
How on Earth can those who chose to be vaccinated, actually be so afraid of folk who choose not to have the procedure. Surely, vaccinated people are the one’s who pose most risk to those who are not ? Seems pretty odd to the thinking Man..

If you want to spread anti-vaxx propaganda, go somewhere else. If you bothered to do even a modicum of research you could answer your own question. But we know, you aren't really asking, and you aren't really interested in the actual answer.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:48   #2688

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Vaccinated people also spread the virus. Asymptomatic carriers.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:56   #2689

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

A new anti-viral drug developed by Merck is showing some promise during trials in treating covid. The article claims that Merck will soon be applying for emergency use authorization in the US and "other countries". It's a pill to be taken twice a day and, in trials, has been found to cut hospitalizations and deaths in half. If proven effective it could really impact the hospital overload imo.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ths-maker-says
Old 01-10-2021, 10:56   #2690

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
I know I shouldn't but...

I don't see a lot of fear except among the more extreme... but there will be extreme always...

I am just more than a tad bit miffed with with full ICUs and cancelled surgeries and old folks being kicked out of extended care because a bunch of paranoid dingbats are choking the hospitals. The vaccine doesn't confer immunity from Covid but it does a pretty good job of conferring immunity from devastating illness and death.

AB stats: 87% of the ICU patients are unvaccinated.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:01   #2691
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
. But we know, you aren't really asking, and you aren't really interested in the real answer.
Rarely do I disagree with you Mike, but for some people who haven't thought it out
.... it could be an honest , albeit Naive question.

I was one of those !

Why not just post a stock, undeniable explanation and refer them to that post.
If they try to argue, THEN we shut them down.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:10   #2692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Rarely do I disagree with you Mike, but for some people who haven't thought it out

I was one of those !

That was my point in an earlier post.

Also, though, think of it this way: if they haven't gotten the message yet...???

But we'll keep trying.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 01-10-2021, 11:14   #2693

Quote:

The biggest threat to the unvaccinated is themselves. It should concern everybody that national/state/provincial healthcare systems are threatened with collapse because of the huge number of covid patients. In Canada and other countries, as others have said, the patients in hospital with covid are overwhelmingly the unvaccinated.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:24   #2694

Quote:

I was one of those !

I basically agree here - you're prematurely pulling the trigger imo. It's when a person starts using fact-free arguments or known dis-proven facts/studies that it gets too far off course.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:27   #2695

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

I was one of those !

Normally I'd agree, and I probably should. It's just hard to believe someone could have such naive questions after nearly two years of pandemic*. We've seen this faux line of "questions" play out over and over in the anti-vaxx movement. Heck, it's the common playbook of many anti movements, from smoking to climate change.

But perhaps you're right... So here goes:

People without immunity are at a far greater risk, but no vaccine (or natural immunity), confers full protection. If that were the end of the story, then it still might be a reasonable risk for society. But it's not.

The unvaccinated pool is not only clogging up healthcare systems around the world, thereby imposing huge costs on all of us, but this burden is pushing other needy people out. The true cost of this pandemic will be measured, not just in Covid-19 victims, but in all the others who've had to delay or forego other medical treatments because Covid-19 patients are clogging up the system.

But perhaps even worse, this group is providing the virus (SARS-CoV-2) with an easier pool to spread and mutate. The Delta variant is wreaking havoc on nations around the world. The more we allow this virus to propagate, the greater the risk of an even more virulent variant to arise.

* It's also hard to believe someone with only two posts to his name. Sure feels like, what do they call them, a sock-puppet account?
Old 01-10-2021, 11:38   #2696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That was my point in an earlier post.

Also, though, think of it this way: if they haven't gotten the message yet...???

But we'll keep trying.
Have you ever considered that they may be right and you wrong? After all, Mike has gotten the covid thing all wrong from the beginning and so have a lot of the so called experts. It's still evolving. Unfortunately a lot of people have an overwhelming an unhealthy fear of covid, even to the point of turning violent against the unvaccinated. Take is easy and try to understand others point of view even if you don't agree.
What is certain is that it's not going away any time soon and draconian efforts to stop it are having too much collateral damage to continue indefinitely. Try and find some peace with it.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:44   #2697

Quote:

I was one of those !

His tractors cranked and he's running scared. He can't help it at this point. I think he needs shore leave for a while.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:04   #2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
After all, Mike has gotten the covid thing all wrong from the beginning ...
That's patently false. Mike has relayed COVID information and facts from dependable sources, and has rarely issued any predictions or guesses that were not well-considered, or delivered with the grain of salt.

Compare Mike's comments with your unsourced and incorrect assertions below:
Quote:
Unfortunately a lot of people have an overwhelming an unhealthy fear of covid, even to the point of turning violent against the unvaccinated.
It's much more common for antivaxxers or the deniers of COVID to be the violent ones - from fighting with those enforcing mask mandates, to threatening hospital workers as they enter/exit their place of work.
Quote:
What is certain is that it's not going away any time soon and draconian efforts to stop it are having too much collateral damage to continue indefinitely.
What is certain is that vaccination is working, and other measures like masks, distancing, and suspension of some events and travel help keep cases down... when applied and followed.
Old 01-10-2021, 13:16   #2699

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Have you ever considered that they may be right and you wrong? After all, Mike has gotten the covid thing all wrong from the beginning and so have a lot of the so called experts. It's still evolving. Unfortunately a lot of people have an overwhelming an unhealthy fear of covid, even to the point of turning violent against the unvaccinated. Take is easy and try to understand others point of view even if you don't agree.
What is certain is that it's not going away any time soon and draconian efforts to stop it are having too much collateral damage to continue indefinitely. Try and find some peace with it.

You have it backwards. Since this is a discussion about Canadian Covid issues, here's a Canadian report.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...cine-1.6195142

I have yet to see one that you claim is the other way around.

It's not going away because of the antivaxxers. Ths thing could be squashed flat in no time, if only the stupids would get jabbed.

And if calling them stupid is violent, then you oughta read the link.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 01-10-2021, 13:26   #2700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
You have it backwards. Since this is a discussion about Canadian Covid issues, here's a Canadian report.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...cine-1.6195142

I have yet to see one that you claim is the other way around.

It's not going away because of the antivaxxers. Ths thing could be squashed flat in no time, if only the stupids would get jabbed.

And if calling them stupid is violent, then you oughta read the link.
Even with a near 100% vaccination rate it won't go away. It's not effective enough with the variants. You said masks would stop it, then closures, social distancing, then the vaccine. It's time to face reality.