Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2021, 18:21   #2716

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Well, well over 80% effectiveness (and as high as 95%) against Delta is pretty damn effective for vaccines! So your statement is incorrect.

FROM: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2108891
"Only modest differences in vaccine effectiveness were noted with the delta variant as compared with the alpha variant after the receipt of two vaccine doses."

FROM:https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...mance-together "
"Estimated effectiveness of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine: Vaccine effectiveness was 87 to 96 percent for all outcomes before Delta, but now it’s 39 to 84 percent effective against infection and 75 to 95 percent effective against hospitalization."

"Estimated effectiveness of Moderna COVID-19 vaccine: Vaccine effectiveness was around 80 to 95 percent for all outcomes before Delta, but now it’s 50 to 72 percent effective against infection and over 80 percent effective against hospitalization."

Yes, it is time for you to face reality!
It's only 60% effective against Delta. And that is dropping as the time since vaccinated grows longer. Did you even read your own links or just have trouble comprehending?
Old 01-10-2021, 18:42   #2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Read it again. The unmasked passengers were "confronted". The unmasked people were charged with "mischief" not assault. A lawer will have a field day with this one.

OK, I did. The next paragraph down from what I originally posted said this:

"It was reported that the men were threatening to fight other passengers after they were confronted by passengers and directed by BC Ferries officials to wear the provincially mandated masks."

So, kmac, the way I read this is that BOTH passengers AND the STAFF of the ferry explained the RULES to these jerks, so being "confronted" with the rules makes the passengers the aggressors?

I get on a ferry where the rules say I should wear a mask. I run into some bozo who isn't wearing one and "confront" him by saying, "Hey, buddy, you should be wearing a mask." Then the staff comes over and "directs" bozos to wear a mask, just like it says all over the place on the ferries, the illuminated signs in the parking lots and walk-on ramps and pastered all over the website.

"Three men had become aggressive toward other passengers after refusing to wear mandated COVID masks," said Cpl. Andres Sanchez of Sidney-North Saanich RCMP.

What part of "after refusing to wear mandated COVID masks" don't you get?

Read this with us, here, kmac:

AFTER REFUSING TO WEAR MANDATED

If the words are too difficult for you...

Why is it always the anti bozos who are aggressive and violent?

It did NOT say the passengers were aggressive toward the bozos. It says the passengers confronted the bozos, by telling them they should a mask, like it says they should. It says the bozos were aggressive toward the passengers and staff.

Yeah, why don't YOU be their lawyer.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 01-10-2021, 20:28   #2718

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This thread has been closed for a time out.
Old 02-10-2021, 23:30   #2719

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There have been another 10 posts deleted for rudeness, or quoting deleted posts. The thread will be opened momentarily.

We want to keep CF a harmonious place to visit. It is going to be more and more important to simply respond with facts, simply stated; or a brief summary and a link. Some of you (and I'm pretty sure you know who you are) were over the line with talking about trolls or use of the ignore button (you could pm 5 of your mates with one pm) in the thread, and keep talk that stirs rancor out of your health thread.

JPA Cate, moderator
Old 03-10-2021, 01:54   #2720
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Pfizer submits preliminary data to Health Canada for kids' [<12] COVID-19 vaccine
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pfi...data-1.6197758

Old 03-10-2021, 04:02   #2721

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Some very sobering reading: What it's like to die of Covid-19 in an ICU. This particular Toronto hospital is experiencing 34 Covid deaths A DAY in their ICU:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/10/...-step-account/
Bad math Scorpius. currently death rate for the entire 600 hospitals in the province is about 7 per day.

This stat came from a tweet attached to the story and may have been for the entire country or may have been just wrong/inflammatory.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:20   #2722
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Bad math Scorpius. currently death rate for the entire 600 hospitals in the province is about 7 per day.
This stat came from a tweet attached to the story and may have been for the entire country or may have been just wrong/inflammatory.
Alberta reports 34 COVID-19 deaths, highest number since January ~ September 29/21
Alberta reported 34 deaths from COVID-19 on Wednesday — among the highest ever announced in a single day in the province.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...uary-1.6194350

Old 03-10-2021, 04:30   #2723

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Alberta reports 34 COVID-19 deaths, highest number since January ~ September 29/21
Alberta reported 34 deaths from COVID-19 on Wednesday — among the highest ever announced in a single day in the province.
Sure, but the citation was about a hospital in Ontario and it quoted the number as 34 per day in a single ICU.

It is my belief that this inflation of numbers rather than objective measurement gives covid deniers lots of reasons to challenge the numbers in a similarly uninformed way. The truth is often bad enough....
Old 03-10-2021, 09:37   #2724

Boat: Sceptre 41

It seems (to me) that many of the regular posters on this thread are somewhat "gun shy" about posting, after moderator shut down this thread for a couple of days. Canadian politeness?

Honestly, it is not clear to me why thread was shut down, as opposed to individual posters. [A similar sister/brother thread re Australia has/had similar interactions, yet continues (and should continue).]

Nevertheless, I will be trying not to respond to some types of post/posters. But does that mean misinformation will prevail?

See, even I am uncomfortable to use certain trigger words... gun shy, so to speak.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:41   #2725

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post

Bad math? I thought I just quoted it. Although admittedly it did seem VERY high. I would put it down to an error in the original story rather than something trying to be deliberately inflammatory. Let's just put it behind us.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:46   #2726

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
It seems (to me) that many of the regular posters on this thread are somewhat "gun shy" about posting, after moderator shut down this thread for a couple of days. Canadian politeness?

Honestly, it is not clear to me why thread was shut down, as opposed to individual posters. [A similar sister/brother thread re Australia has/had similar interactions, yet continues (and should continue).]

Nevertheless, I will be trying not to respond to some types of post/posters. But does that mean misinformation will prevail?

See, I am even uncomfortable to use certain trigger words... gun shy, so to speak.
Don't poke the bear.

As for mis information, I think, in this particular thread, that people are looking for Canadian facts, information and news. And thankfully there isn't a ton of Canadian-based misinformation so we can safely ignore it without fear of being implicated or worrying others will be seduced to the dark side. Its clear as day there is no changing some peoples' minds so let's not bother to try. Lead a horse to water and all that...

It is an interesting artifact of this crisis though, that (mostly) US based political propaganda and messaging has infiltrated a lot of dissatisfied Canadians' newsfeeds and they repost, retweet and like etc. without thinking about it. I had a cousin who was trying to stir up outrage that covid vaccines were free but cancer treatments cost money without ever stopping to think that this US based-meme had no validity here in Canada.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:09   #2727

Jim,

Thanks for reopening the playpen. I promise to be good-er.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 03-10-2021, 10:10   #2728

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Jim,

Thanks for reopening the playpen. I promise to be good-er.
Pssstt! That was Ann not Jim...
Old 03-10-2021, 10:38   #2729

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yes indeed, very glad to see this thread revived once again, and that the few who simply want to tear it down did not prevail. It's hard (I know ), but if we just ignore those others, and don't take their bait, they will tire and move on.

I think Mac is correct: "thankfully there isn't a ton of Canadian-based misinformation so we can safely ignore it without fear of being implicated or worrying others will be seduced to the dark side."

There is an interesting analysis piece in CBC today looking at the potential legal challenges around the government's Covid-19 responses.

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms vs. vaccine mandates — and government inaction on COVID

Quote:
It has been mentioned again and again, in Alberta and across the country, as protestors opposed to vaccine passports yelled abuse at health-care workers in front of hospitals, marched in the streets by the thousands, likened mandates to the horrors suffered by Jewish victims of the Holocaust, and harassed staff at participating businesses until some temporarily closed.

But they'd likely face tough odds if they tried to use the charter to challenge vaccine passports — except, perhaps, in rare and specific circumstances, some legal experts say.

Meanwhile, governments that delayed passports and stricter health measures to keep from infringing upon our rights may be vulnerable to possible — albeit improbable — challenges that inaction on COVID-19 violated those rights, instead.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:01   #2730

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

According to this CTV site, the highest number of daily deaths from last week was 18. These numbers were allegedly sourced from the province. Maybe the CBC report is from a different source that has a different accounting method? or they screwed up... I've reported it to CBC as a possible error.