Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2021, 08:15   #2821

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed.
I'm not certain that B.C. Ferries gets any long-term federal funding.

BC Ferries to get $308 million in federal-provincial safe restart fundinghttps://www.coastreporter.net/local-...unding-3417278

About BC Ferries:
In 2003, British Columbia's Liberal government announced a major restructuring of BC Ferries when the company, then a provincial Crown corporation, was transformed into an "independent commercial company." The decision had far-reaching legislative,regulatory, and operational changes for a significant BC enterprise. BC Ferries' transformation was a critical turning point for a company that had been state-owned and operated for 43 years.
https://www.bcferrycommission.ca/faq...-2003-onwards/
https://www.bcferrycommission.ca/faqs/about-bc-ferries/

Hmmm. Interesting. As I understand it, the original terms of the agreement bringing BC into Confederation were that the CPR be extended to Victoria - the joke being that the federal negotiators did not realize Victoria was on an island. Originally the CPR was surveyed to emerge onto salt water at Homalco (at the head of Bute Inlet) where it was felt a series of bridges could be built across the Discovery Islands and Seymour Narrows (using Ripple Rock for a pier) to bring the railway to Vancouver Island. However this was considered prohibitively expensive plus the feds wanted the railway built further south, closer to the 49th parallel to forestall any further American incursion into Canada - hence the railway was ultimately brought down the Fraser to Port Moody on Burrard Inlet - then extended to Gastown (now Vancouver) when it was found to be very challenging to bring the deep water sailing ships of the time through the Second Narrows.

In order to fulfill the requirements of the confederation agreement a subsidized (as was CP Rail generally at the time) steamship service was started between Vancouver and Victoria to complete the link. It is my understanding that that subsidy continued well into the era of BC Ferries - and I thought until now.

Perhaps I erred. I know that, over the intervening years, there has been much federal-provincial wrangling on the topic.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:20   #2822

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

In order to fulfill the requirements of the confederation agreement a subsidized (as was CP Rail generally at the time) steamship service was started between Vancouver and Victoria to complete the link. It is my understanding that that subsidy continued well into the era of BC Ferries - and I thought until now.
CP ferry/ies continued running long after BC Ferries began, eventually becoming truck (& train car?) carrier (e.g., facilities next to BCF Swartz Bay). Sold to Seaspan.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:33   #2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
CP ferry/ies continued running long after BC Ferries began, eventually becoming truck (& train car?) carrier (e.g., facilities next to BCF Swartz Bay). Sold to Seaspan.

I'm aware of that - but not for passengers on that original Vancouver - Victoria route. It was after strikes by both the CP ferries and American-owned Black Ball ferries (serving other parts of the coast) that premier WAC ("Wacky") Bennett said that BC would never again be held hostage like that and started the BC ferry service.

https://www.bcferrycommission.ca/faq...es/up-to-1960/
Old 07-10-2021, 08:38   #2824

Quote:
I'm aware of that - but not for passengers on that original Vancouver - Victoria route. It was after strikes by both the CP ferries and American-owned Black Ball ferries (serving other parts of the coast) that WAC ("Wacky") Bennett said that BC would never again be held hostage like that and started the BC ferry service.

https://www.bcferrycommission.ca/faq...es/up-to-1960/
I guess this is drifting off topic from COVID-19...

Of course, BC was still "held hostage" again by ferry strikes. Living in Victoria, I recall lining up for the Black Ball ferry to Port Angeles (and then driving to Okanagan/Penticton) because of BC Ferry strike. At a young age, I resolved to "get off the island" and away from ferries.

Good times. Back to covid-19....
Old 07-10-2021, 08:49   #2825

Quote:
I guess this is drifting off topic from COVID-19...

Of course, BC was still "held hostage" again by ferry strikes. Living in Victoria, I recall lining up for the Black Ball ferry to Port Angeles (and then driving to Okanagan/Penticton) because of BC Ferry strike. At a young age, I resolved to "get off the island" and away from ferries.

Good times. Back to covid-19....
Of course. But until Dave Barrett defeated Wacky Bennett in 1972 unionization and strikes were prohibited in the BC public service. The NDP government then changed all that.

As you say, back to Covid-19
Old 07-10-2021, 09:34   #2826

Boat: Rafiki 37

N.L.'s vaccine passport rolls out Friday. Here's how it works

Quote:
In two weeks, entry to most recreational and non-essential activities for people 12 and up will be regulated by the passports.
Bars, lounges, and indoor entertainment — from movies to theatre to music performances — will all require proof of full vaccination. Indoor seating at restaurants is also covered, but not takeout, drive-thru or patios.

Passports are mandatory for any gathering at a business or organization, from baby showers to retirement parties, and in order to access any personal services like hair salons or tattoo parlours.
Indoor fitness facilities and arenas are also covered. Organized sports for youth from 12 to 18 years old are exempt.

Passports aren't mandatory for faith-based activities. If organizations opt out of the passport system, they must operate at half-capacity, with no singing, physical distancing and other measures in place. While the province did consider covering religious services entirely under the passport, after consulting with groups it opted not to.

Passports aren't required for most essential services. That includes health-care facilities, schools and daycares, post-secondary institutions and retail stores, except car dealerships, where passports are in effect.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:41   #2827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Wow, somebody in government has a hate on for car dealerships. I wonder where that came from? It seems so very "niche". So I guess it's ok to go into a boat dealership without a vaccine passport.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:59   #2828

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Wow, somebody in government has a hate on for car dealerships. I wonder where that came from? It seems so very "niche". So I guess it's ok to go into a boat dealership without a vaccine passport.

Yeah, it does seem odd to toss that one in. And they've exempted the ferries due to them being essential. Marine Atlantic (big ferries to the mainland) IS covered by the federal requirement. I guess they'll just let the feds manage that.
Old 07-10-2021, 18:30   #2829

Quote:
Today I listened to an interview on the afternoon program of CBC radio, Victoria. The interviewee was the Honourable Omar Alghabra, federal Minister of Transport. He said that the reason BC Ferries is not requiring passengers to be vaccinated is because his department has not told BC Ferries to do so - suggesting yes, the feds could do so if they wished. He said his department is satisfied that other measures that BC Ferries are taking such as asking people to stay in their cars during crossings, requiring masks to be worn in public areas, etc., are sufficient. However two things:
1. He reserves the right to require passengers to be vaccinated should experience prove the other measures aren't doing the job, and
2. All employees MUST be fully vaccinated.
He went on to say that the marine regulations for full passenger vaccination, at this time, apply only to voyages of over 24 hours and are aimed at the cruise ship industry.

So I guess the feds do have authority over BC Ferries after all - or at least they are taking that position.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:14   #2830

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

And further to Federal authority over BC Ferries, the BCF spokesperson said today that the vaccination order applies to crew, and that they were seeking "clarification" on the extent of the order. Apparently it applies to only vessels with 12 or more crew. BCF and its union are meeting to discuss the policy application and whether it would be fleet-wide ... many of the smaller ferries at our end of the Island have less than 12 crew. There are also the shoreside workers to consider and methinks there will be a company policy in the near future that incorporates the federal requirements.
https://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...rew-1.24362779
Old 08-10-2021, 11:36   #2831

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Interesting job numbers today. In Canada 170,000 new jobs; in the US 197,000 jobs. Remembering that the US has about 9x the population it suggests that taking COVID seriously pays off economically - in spite of Alberta and Saskatchewan being very bad by our standards but middle of the pack for US.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:39   #2832

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Interesting job numbers today. In Canada 170,000 new jobs; in the US 197,000 jobs. Remembering that the US has about 9x the population it suggests that taking COVID seriously pays off economically - in spite of Alberta and Saskatchewan being very bad by our standards but middle of the pack for US.
I was surprised at the Canadian numbers. That literally brings us ahead of pre-pandemic levels.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:06   #2833

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Lord help us!

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/hordes-o...SyHWoo_LBJDH-w

Should mean more Fed. transfer $$$ though,so I suppose....
Old 09-10-2021, 07:38   #2834

New data suggests Canada's 'gamble' on delaying, mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccines paid off

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canad...205993?cmp=rss

New Canadian data suggests the bold strategy to delay and mix second doses of COVID-19 vaccines led to strong protection from infection, hospitalization and death — even against the highly contagious delta variant — that could provide lessons for the world.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:48   #2835

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

I'm watching Singapore for a glimpse into Canada's future.

They have managed to keep a lid on Covid-19 through public health restrictions. The interesting/comparative part comes in what they have done since beginning to vaccinate their population.

Singapore now has 82% of their eligible population fully vaccinated, and started to lift public health restrictions in June with an eye towards trying to manage Covid as an endemic disease.

They are now seeing a massive spike in Covid-19 infections.

Interestingly, Singapore is now a month into this unprecedented increase, yet the fatality rate is 0.1% which is about what I believe the fatality rate of influenza is. In other words...Covid-19's fatality rate in an unvaccinated population is somewhere between 1% to 2% of those infected, so if Singapore can hold its numbers to 0.1%, then there may be a glimmer of hope to enter an endemic-like phase where those who are fully vaccinated can get back to 'normal' living.

Unfortunately, even though the death rate could become the same as influenza as the percentage of vaccinations increases, the hospitalization rate looks like it will be higher than influenza in pre-Covid times...so while deaths may fade into the background noise of everyday life like influenza deaths, hospitals, the health system, and healthcare workers would continue bearing a greater burden.

This could become our new normal.

https://qz.com/india/2068834/highly-...g-covid-cases/

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sing...upancy-2230876