Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 10:26   #2851

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
G&M:
COVID-19 vaccine registration open for kids aged 5-11, B.C. health officials say

Great news I'd say. I continue to be bemused by the idea that schools aren't major drivers of the pandemic in our societies. Kids might not come down with the disease, but they sure as heck can catch and carry the virus.

I have two grandchildren, one over 12 who has been vaccinated and one who is too young yet, in an elementary school in North Vancouver. I recently had an extended conversation with their principal (I offered to put HEPA filters in their classrooms) about the whole Covid situation in the schools. In conjunction with Dr. Bonnie Henry's crew they really have gone to extraordinary lengths to keep the students, staff, etc. safe. My hat is off to them.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:30   #2852

You are quite right in what you say, Stu.

One of my recurring thoughts is that it would be enormously illuminating and entertaining to have some means of determining what the correlation is - statistically speaking - between a particular individual's anti-vaccination position and a) his highest year of formal education. b) his "earned income" on his latest T1 Tax Return, c) the type of job he last held, d) his religious affiliation (including "none"), e) his place of domicile between birth and age 7 (the "age of reason" as expounded by the Church of Rome), and last (on my impromptu list) but by no means least, f) the broadcaster or "social medium" he watches the most.

Im sure you can add a dozen personal characteristics to that list!

We might even be able to develop an "Ignorance Quotient". The imagination runs amok! We might even conceive of including this "new style" IQ on people's driver's licenses and Citizenship cards. And perhaps, if he has one, his PCOC ;-)

TP
Old 11-10-2021, 10:51   #2853

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I have two grandchildren, one over 12 who has been vaccinated and one who is too young yet, in an elementary school in North Vancouver. I recently had an extended conversation with their principal (I offered to put HEPA filters in their classrooms) about the whole Covid situation in the schools. In conjunction with Dr. Bonnie Henry's crew they really have gone to extraordinary lengths to keep the students, staff, etc. safe. My hat is off to them.
Oh, I agree schools have generally done a lot to create safer spaces. And we know that age is a major correlate to development and severity of Covid-19. But we also know the SARS-CoV-2 virus is carried asymptomatically by many. No matter how safe schools are, they still put people in relatively close proximity. And we know from other diseases that kids are excellent propagators of all that ails us.

I understand why we've pushed so hard to keep schools open. Without schools parents can't work, and the economy really does fall apart. It's a rational choice to want to keep them open. I just wish we'd stop pretending schools aren't a key aspect of getting this virus under control.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:01   #2854

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
You are quite right in what you say, Stu.

One of my recurring thoughts is that it would be enormously illuminating and entertaining to have some means of determining what the correlation is - statistically speaking - between a particular individual's anti-vaccination position and a) his highest year of formal education. b) his "earned income" on his latest T1 Tax Return, c) the type of job he last held, d) his religious affiliation (including "none"), e) his place of domicile between birth and age 7 (the "age of reason" as expounded by the Church of Rome), and last (on my impromptu list) but by no means least, f) the broadcaster or "social medium" he watches the most.

Im sure you can add a dozen personal characteristics to that list!

We might even be able to develop an "Ignorance Quotient". The imagination runs amok! We might even conceive of including this "new style" IQ on people's driver's licenses and Citizenship cards. And perhaps, if he has one, his PCOC ;-)

TP

I'm not sure I'd want to go too far with negative labelling, but as I mentioned in another thread, I do suspect there is a strong overlap with anti-vax beliefs and other other anti-scientific/conspiratorial positions.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:10   #2855

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
I understand why we've pushed so hard to keep schools open. Without schools parents can't work, and the economy really does fall apart. It's a rational choice to want to keep them open.
Not to forget that kids themselves need all the things going to school provide (and "formal education" might not be the primary thing)
Old 11-10-2021, 11:16   #2856

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd want to go too far with negative labelling, but as I mentioned in another thread, I do suspect there is a strong overlap with anti-vax beliefs and other other anti-scientific/conspiratorial positions.

I agree. I think that the real anti-vaxx'ers are a smaller subset than the vaccine hesitant who have consumed way too much info from unreliable/BS sources. The latter group won't change their minds if we continue only to vilify them imo. There is so much media discussion of significant rare side effects that the hesitant have lost sight of the real risk equation. We also hear constantly of younger sports figures who have contracted the disease and fully recovered which also serves to minimize the risks attached to it.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:19   #2857

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Not to forget that kids themselves need all the things going to school provide (and "formal education" might not be the primary thing)

Very true. Lots of benefits to having schools operating. It just feels like we've downplayed the part they play in perpetuating the pandemic. We've done a great job getting most adults vaccinated. Getting most kids vaccinated would really fill in the gaps (and help take up the slack that all those anti-vaxxers are creating).
Old 11-10-2021, 14:04   #2858
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... We might even be able to develop an "Ignorance Quotient". The imagination runs amok! We might even conceive of including this "new style" IQ on people's driver's licenses and Citizenship cards. And perhaps, if he has one, his PCOC ;-)
TP
NOT addressed to anyone. I only quoted TP, as the originator of the concept [on this thread].

Old 11-10-2021, 14:18   #2859

OK, since we're sharing memes, here's a photo of someone's Halloween decorated yard, apparently here in Calgary (brave person):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yard.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	246727  
Old 12-10-2021, 01:20   #2860
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Unvaccinated Quebec nurses to have licences suspended as of Friday

The Quebec order of nurses (OIIQ) announced Monday that members who are not vaccinated against COVID-19 will have their permits to practice suspended as of Friday.

The decision comes only a few days ahead of the Oct. 15 province's deadline, after which unvaccinated employees in the health sector face suspension without pay.

OIIQ [Google Translate] https://www-oiiq-org.translate.goog/..._tr_pto=nui,sc

CBC ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ense-1.6207301

Old 12-10-2021, 05:47   #2861

Quote: "Unvaccinated Quebec nurses to have licences suspended as of Friday"

Now this IS interesting! Not because it addresses the present pandemic particularly, but because it illuminates again the difference in fundamental ethos between the deux nations that comprise us. Quebec has always been far less reluctant to compel conformity by way of edict and to impose measures that nous autres sometimes consider heavy-handed. Yet we hang together!

Perhaps a comparative study of ethea, and not just of those of the deux nations, might throw some light on what has permitted Covid19 to become so devastating.

TP
Old 12-10-2021, 07:03   #2862

Quote:
Quebec has always been far less reluctant to compel conformity by way of edict and to impose measures that nous autres sometimes consider heavy-handed.

Quoi?? J'aime beaucoup la belle province, but sometimes their hand can be quite heavy.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:53   #2863

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I thought that this was an interesting article related to the vaccine hesitant among us.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid...risk-1.6205199

The story from a friend is more powerful than the logic of a statistical analysis for many people. And of course many people have all kinds of Facebook friends to tell them those stories too.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:11   #2864

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I thought that this was an interesting article related to the vaccine hesitant among us.

The story from a friend is more powerful than the logic of a statistical analysis for many people. And of course many people have all kinds of Facebook friends to tell them those stories too.
For what it is worth, this is a great perspective on the risk analysis of the vaccines for Covid19. We should however be using a similar framework for other elements of Covid19 risks instead of the binary model many of us seem to use.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:46   #2865

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post

Apparently a number of unvaccinated people being admitted to hospital - and to the ICU - are asking doctors and nurses to give them the shots. "Too late" they are being told.