Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 21-10-2021, 13:42   #2956

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
IT'S NOT A PASSPORT!!!

Right... it's an opt-in (or is it out??) of an exemption for restrictions to access to some businesses and services, except in Calgary where it applies to all businesses and services not deemed essential. And it uses a scannable QR-code showing people's vaccination status.

Clear as mud... and nothing like a vaccine passport at all .
Old 21-10-2021, 13:51   #2957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Right... it's an opt-in (or is it out??) of an exemption for restrictions to access to some businesses and services, except in Calgary where it applies to all businesses and services not deemed essential. And it uses a scannable QR-code showing people's vaccination status.

Clear as mud... and nothing like a vaccine passport at all .

Mike's right. I think we all know wht a vaccine is (except for some anti-vaxxers), but here's what wikipedia says a passport is:

A passport is an official governmental document that contains a given person's identity. It helps its holder travel under its protection to and from foreign countries. The document certifies the personal identity and nationality of its holder.[1] Standard passports contain the full name, photograph, place and date of birth, signature, and the expiration date of the passport.

How about a "Get into the shops" card?

In other news, from the 2021 Joke thread:

What is a Canadian?
A North American without a gun and with health insurance.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 21-10-2021, 13:54   #2958

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
IT'S NOT A PASSPORT!!!

It is if you want to eat out or enter a public Biulding here in BC…….😉
Old 21-10-2021, 14:37   #2959

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
It is if you want to eat out or enter a public Biulding here in BC…….😉
It's funny how this has effected all of us in different ways according to our own predilections. I go to the gym (I had to show my card the first time and it was entered in my membership), the grocery store and very few stores (no proof needed), go throguh the occasional drive-through (again no proof needed) and once grabbed a coffee in the food court (needed ID and proof of vaccination) by the medical lab (no proof needed) while waiting my turn.

Other than that I just stay home and chat with y'all. So it turns out if I stay out of food courts I am golden. It's hard to understand what the fuss is about

But I sit here with bated breath waiting to find out if "we-don't-need-no-stinkin'-Ottawa" Kenney will deign to allow a Gov't of Canada logo on his "this-ain't-no-vaccine-passport" passport.
Old 21-10-2021, 14:53   #2960

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Hi Dan. I appreciate that you are trying to see all sides of this. The problem is that it seems that both the genuinely reluctant, and the loud boors, have likely been confused or influenced by the same misinformation. If more people don't get vaccinated, it will take longer to get out from under COVID, and that will weigh on all of us.
Thanks Lake for understanding my intent. I confess to getting triggered when someone treats someone else like an idiot at any time.

The most analogous scenario I can think of in this case is that of the survivalist. I am not going to make the decisions they make either but I can recognize that there is a chance I might be wishing I was in their fall-out shelter some day.

For the record, having everyone vaccinated would make me very happy.
Old 21-10-2021, 16:18   #2961

Quote:
It's funny how this has effected all of us in different ways according to our own predilections. I go to the gym (I had to show my card the first time and it was entered in my membership), the grocery store and very few stores (no proof needed), go throguh the occasional drive-through (again no proof needed) and once grabbed a coffee in the food court (needed ID and proof of vaccination) by the medical lab (no proof needed) while waiting my turn.
Agreed. I've yet to even show my "passport" at all*. Essential services like groceries and liquor stores (thank g-d!) are exempt from provincial passport systems. It's just the discretionary gathering spaces like restaurants, communal events like sports or concerts, movie theatres, gyms and the like that are affected. No one needs to go to a restaurant, but if you want to, then you need to be show you are a low risk of carrying and spreading this virus.

This is not a big ask given the enormity of the pandemic.

(*I really don't get out much ... helps to be poor ).

Quote:
But I sit here with bated breath waiting to find out if "we-don't-need-no-stinkin'-Ottawa" Kenney will deign to allow a Gov't of Canada logo on his "this-ain't-no-vaccine-passport" passport.
My Alberta sister-in-law is kinda pissed, and getting a bit worried since she's planning to travel to the UK over X-mas. She doubts UK border guards are going to know what "Alberta" is. I suggested she say: "You know, the home of the Calgary Stampede." Everyone knows the Stampede .
Old 21-10-2021, 16:31   #2962

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Everyone knows the Stampede
You mean the big Alberta super spreader event
Old 21-10-2021, 17:09   #2963

Some more news I can get behind.

Don't expect EI if you lose your job for not being vaccinated, minister says
Quote:
Employment minister says those who lose job because of vax status likely not eligble for EI
Old 21-10-2021, 17:29   #2964

Just listening to CBC Ideas interview with Dr. Anthony Fauci. Nothing new for those who have an understanding of what science is, and how it works, but it might be worth passing on to people who are honestly hesitant (not someone who is a true anti-vaxxer/anti-science). Perhaps like some of your friends that you referenced Dan:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/dr-an...racy-1.6219532
Old 21-10-2021, 18:07   #2965

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Agreed. I've yet to even show my "passport" at all*. Essential services like groceries and liquor stores (thank g-d!) are exempt from provincial passport systems. It's just the discretionary gathering spaces like restaurants, communal events like sports or concerts, movie theatres, gyms and the like that are affected. No one needs to go to a restaurant, but if you want to, then you need to be show you are a low risk of carrying and spreading this virus.

This is not a big ask given the enormity of the pandemic.

(*I really don't get out much ... helps to be poor ).

My Alberta sister-in-law is kinda pissed, and getting a bit worried since she's planning to travel to the UK over X-mas. She doubts UK border guards are going to know what "Alberta" is. I suggested she say: "You know, the home of the Calgary Stampede." Everyone knows the Stampede .
I do! I’ve even been to Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump.

And I have covid despite being vaccinated. If that means anything.
Old 21-10-2021, 18:15   #2966

Quote:
Agreed. I've yet to even show my "passport" at all*.
We required that students have a double vaccination on our around Vancouver Island course. That got some push back on Facebook; but I doubt the posters were actually sailors.
Old 21-10-2021, 18:19   #2967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I do! I’ve even been to Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump.

And I have covid despite being vaccinated. If that means anything.

Me too (smashed-in, not Covid-19). Sure hope you get through it with out too much bother. My 30-something niece also got it after being fully vaxxed. Just reinforces how important it is to have as many people vaccinated as possible.

Good luck. But on the plus side, you've have lots of time to waste with us [emoji16].
Old 21-10-2021, 18:27   #2968

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
We required that students have a double vaccination on our around Vancouver Island course. That got some push back on Facebook; but I doubt the posters were actually sailors.

Perfect use I'd say.
Old 21-10-2021, 23:04   #2969

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

We have our answer what BC residents will require ... 2 vaccination cards, one for intra-provincial use and the second for inter-provincial and international travel.. Premier Horgan has stated that the current BC card is incompatible with the federal card which requires more info than the current BC card. The new cards will be available by month end from the province.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ules-1.6220473
Old 22-10-2021, 05:15   #2970
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The federal government has lifted its advisory, against all non-essential travel abroad, that was introduced in March 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as long as those travellers are fully vaccinated.
Instead, the government's travel advice website was updated to say all international travellers should be fully vaccinated, at least 14 days before travelling, and must follow local public health guidelines, in the country they are travelling to.
Up until Thursday, the government had advised all travellers to avoid non-essential international travel, regardless of their vaccination status.

COVID-19 – Travel advice
Community transmission of COVID-19 continues in many countries.
You should be fully vaccinated by completing a COVID-19 vaccine series in Canada or abroad at least 14 days before travelling. Be aware that although you are better protected against serious illness if you are vaccinated, you may still be at risk of infection from the virus that causes COVID-19.
If you’re unvaccinated, you remain at increased risk of being infected with and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 when travelling internationally. You should continue avoiding non-essential travel to all destinations ...”
More ➥ https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories