Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 17:02   #286

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Are any of you utilizing a Covid tracking / tracing app?

I have read that Alberta is a bit annoyed with the Canadian Federal Government as to the Fed's apparently are interfering with Alberta ability to resolve some security issues with Apple as to the app needing to always be on and runs in front of Apples log in thus makes a security issue if the phone owner losses their phone or it is stolen because its operating system remains open. The Fed's want a nationwide tracking app and do not want the Provinces to be deploying each their own so the Fed's apparently have requested that Apple not aid Alberta with resolving the technical issues.

https://www.alberta.ca/ab-trace-together.aspx

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-c...190048955.html
The federal tracking app was supposed to be out for use/testing in Ontario on July 3rd but apparently it is not ready for prime time yet.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:02   #287

Boat: Lancer 36

Meanwhile, treatments that have had success like athsma steroids, HCQ, zinc, and azithromycin continue to be ignored because orange man bad.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:05   #288

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Mike, there is two different type of flu shots or vaccines. I don't remember the technical name, have to ask my wife. But they are basically live and dead. People with known compromised immune systems can't be given the "live" shot. And the "dead" one is not nearly as effective as the "live" one.

If the people with the compromised immune system are given the "live" one it's the same as contracting the disease. It will wipe them right out.
I think you're referring to the nasal spray vaccine. Indeed, they are not recommended for certain immune-compromised people. But the other standard vaccines are perfectly safe for all but a very few, and they do not contain live virus. Even the spray version contains such minute levels that it is nearly impossible to cause an infection.

So there's absolutely no reason to suspect a Covid-19 vaccine won't be available to nearly everyone, regardless of their immune system condition.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:09   #289

Quote:
Why can't they implement some sort of medical pass? It's not like testing is non-existent anymore. In the big population centers they got long lines to get tested and it takes 5 days to get the results. Around here you can walk into Public Health and they'll test you out in 15 minutes, you got the results either same day or next day.

That would be science. But I don't think that's what's actually being used in making these decisions.
The problem is that you get your test results on Monday and you are good to go but you get infected on Tuesday, what use is your medical pass in a week's time?

The Chinese have an interesting idea that wouldn't fly in the west. Everyone, like everyone has a cell phone, and the cell phone is tied to your national ID number. Your cell tells you if you have been in close contact with someone who is positive - you get a text telling you to isolate until you get your test results. Canada is going to have a similar system. Supposed to be out last week but apparently not ready for prime time.

Now for the next part of the Chinese system, if you have not been in contact with a positive person your phone shows a green screen. If you have been in contact it is yellow. If you are yellow you can't go into a store, go on the subway, get gas for your car, etc. You must isolate for 14 days and then get a clean test before you go green again.

Your idea of a medical pass is based on testing. The way things are going now is that systems based on contact tracing make more sense.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:12   #290

Quote:
I'm sure I can dig up the studies, but we're actually part of it? Just because we had that stupid antibody test done and we tested positive. Now, they ASSUME that we had corona, COVID, whatever you want to call it. If we did, we didn't know it. I believe it is now going on 20 years since either me or my wife has even had a common cold.
This already makes you both exceedingly unusual. Your immune systems must be super-human .

Quote:
...I don't know how Canada is handling this, or if they're just doing viral testing there. But it is obvious here they are experimenting because they DO NOT KNOW.
This is how scientific knowledge progresses. I appreciate you being a guinea pig for the greater good -- seriously, I do.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:15   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
8:05 a.m. Canadian trials have just begun for a prospective COVID-19 vaccine but its Quebec-based manufacturer is already downplaying its potential impact.
Dr. Bruce Clark, president and CEO of the biopharmaceutical company Medicago, cautions observers against holding unrealistic expectations that his product — or any of the numerous vaccines in development globally — will bring the pandemic to a screeching halt.
“Whatever vaccine we get in this first round — unless it’s a miracle — it’s not going to be perfect,” says Clark, whose company began trials for its proposed vaccine Monday in Quebec City.
“It’s going to have to undergo development, it’s going to take probably years to come up with an understanding of the right vaccine, the right approach. It’s not the panacea.
“To assume that we can have, in 18 months, the solution to a pandemic that comes around once in a generation, is naive.”
So much is still unknown about COVID-19, notes Clark, including how it may manifest during the flu season later this year.
He suspects a more likely scenario is that a vaccine will offer only part of the solution, along with new therapeutics and ongoing public health interventions.
Medicago’s first phase of clinical trials will test a plant-based product on 180 healthy men and women, aged 18 to 55.
The randomized, partially blinded study uses technology that does not involve animal products or live viruses like traditional methods. Clark notes that vaccine developers typically use chicken eggs to propagate a virus, but Medicago uses recombinant technology involving the genetic sequence of a virus, with living plants as the host.
The resulting virus-like particles mimic the shape and dimensions of a virus, which allows the body to recognize them and spark an immune response. Clark says the plant-based approach is significantly faster and offers more consistent results than egg-based or cell-based methods. While it takes five to six months to propagate a virus in eggs, the plant-based technique requires just five to six weeks, he says.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...y-14-2020.html
How typically Canadian to downplay the possible success of their vaccine unlike the Big Pharma companies pushing what they are developing - couldn't be to boost stock prices could it?
Old 14-07-2020, 17:17   #292

In relevant news, here's a current story which reinforces why Canada will be unlikely to open its southern land border any time soon:

North Bay OPP charge Florida couple with failing to self-isolate

These kinds of people are screwing it for everyone, on both sides of the border. If you are granted permission to enter a foreign land, the least you can do is follow the laws of that land. Sheesh .
Old 14-07-2020, 17:20   #293

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I’ve read up on the “Chinese System.” Over heard some folks from Wuhan discussing how it works.

More formally it’s called the Social Credit System. There is a great deal about it on the web including Wikipedia. And it’s history and current implementation are far to complicated to discuss here. And it would get political quickly. Those interested should google it up.

It is NOT something I would want to see here in any shape or form. It is the perfect vehicle for Success for power mongers.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:23   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
In relevant news, here's a current story which reinforces why Canada will be unlikely to open its southern land border any time soon:

North Bay OPP charge Florida couple with failing to self-isolate

These kinds of people are screwing it for everyone, on both sides of the border. If you are granted permission to enter a foreign land, the least you can do is follow the laws of that land. Sheesh .
Why are these imbeciles continually getting into Canada? A week or two ago it was an old couple from Minnesota.

I hate it when we see people here pulling together trying to do what is right but morons from somewhere else ignore our rules.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:26   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I’ve read up on the “Chinese System.” Over heard some folks from Wuhan discussing how it works.

More formally it’s called the Social Credit System. There is a great deal about it on the web including Wikipedia. And it’s history and current implementation are far to complicated to discuss here. And it would get political quickly. Those interested should google it up.

It is NOT something I would want to see here in any shape or form. It is the perfect vehicle for Success for power mongers.
It is China and I did say it would not be possible, or desirable in the West, but it is effective. My wife follows Chinese social media and she mentioned some guy in Beijing who went out for a jog and inadvertently entered a neighbourhood where someone had tested positive. He would have had no way to know this but was in quarantine for 14 days as a result.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:30   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
https://youtu.be/UIDsKdeFOmQ

Based on the above, the reason for the high mortality rate is medical malpractice, incompetence, negligence and the use of politically driven treatment regimes. Its a very eye opening video, rather long at an hour and 10 minutes. Very sobering indeed.
Don't believe everything you see on Youtube.

If you're sick, go to the hospital.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:33   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

These are indeed some of the lessons I fear our societies are learning. We may not be as far along the authoritarian path as China, but who would have thought we'd be having enforced 14-day quarantines and provinces that are completely off-limit to citizens?

We've slid a long way down this slipper slope. I don't like where all this could lead.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:42   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
...I hate it when we see people here pulling together trying to do what is right but morons from somewhere else ignore our rules.
Indeed. The story says the police were called, so obviously they had been given a chance (probably many chances) by public health people to comply with the clear rules. I infer they purposely and knowingly decided that the law didn't apply to them.

The story says they were each given a fine of $1000, but it could have been much worse. It's truly unfortunate that it has to come to this for some people.

And I too wonder how they were allowed to cross the border. Doesn't makes sense given what the story reveals.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:47   #299

Quote:
Indeed. The story says the police were called, so obviously they had been given a chance (probably many chances) by public health people to comply with the clear rules. I infer they purposely and knowingly decided that the law didn't apply to them.

The story says they were each given a fine of $1000, but it could have been much worse. It's truly unfortunate that it has to come to this for some people.

And I too wonder how they were allowed to cross the border. Doesn't makes sense given what the story reveals.
I suspect they might be dual citizens. There was a similar case in BC I think.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:54   #300

Quote:
These are indeed some of the lessons I fear our societies are learning. We may not be as far along the authoritarian path as China, but who would have thought we'd be having enforced 14-day quarantines and provinces that are completely off-limit to citizens?

We've slid a long way down this slipper slope. I don't like where all this could lead.
Not sure I agree with you hear Mike. I checked and the first Quarantine Act was passed in 1872 and quarantine was used before that. The use of Grosse Ile in the St Lawrence in the 1840s is the best known example.