Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2021, 17:55   #3046

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Because the vaccines do not protect from infevtion nor from spreading, they may prevent hospitalizations and symptoms and lead to careless behavior.

On the other hand, a unvaccinated person would more likely notice an infection and stay home / quarantine, so less likely spread the virus.
One of the things that these ongoing arguments has sensitized me to is broad essentialist claims (from all sides...).

What you should have said is something like "a unvaccinated person has the potential to notice an..." But instead you phrased it as the "unvaccinated would" but contrasted it with the less definite "the vaccinated may" — that kind of construction is misleading and tantamount to a falsehood, especially when you could just as easily used "may" in both cases.

But whatever. People need to stop claiming that any group of anyone will uniformly do anything. How could that lesson not have sunk in the past 2 years I've seriously stopped listening to anyone who can't control their hyperbole.
Old 06-11-2021, 20:26   #3047

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

I believe I was a participant in an epidemiological experiment this weekend.

The town where I live has a population of 8,000 and is well over 90% for first vaccinations and in the high 80's for double vaccinations.

We just had our first Christmas Arts & Crafts Fair since Covid hit, and there was a directive from Provincial health authorities that there was to be no checking to see if anyone was vaccinated.

No questions asked, no vaccine passport needed, anybody and everybody allowed in over the two days of the event.

My theory is, it was a test run for when BC and Canada move into the endemic phase. It'll be interesting to see in a few weeks if there is a measurable jump in Covid case numbers.

Apparently, in Germany, they have stopped sharing total Covid cases and separate flu-like Covid cases from hospitalized Covid cases. Anyways, it was great to see so many old friends and mingle with strangers again!
Old 06-11-2021, 20:40   #3048

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Not really. Latest superspreader events showed the evidence, that the breakouts came from fully vaccinated. Hope they are also prosecuted for manslaughter or murder then.
I think that is made up BS. Please back up that claim with the evidence you think you have. I doubt that any credible evidence such as that exists.
Old 06-11-2021, 21:31   #3049

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
One of the things that these ongoing arguments has sensitized me to is broad essentialist claims (from all sides...).

What you should have said is something like "a unvaccinated person has the potential to notice an..." But instead you phrased it as the "unvaccinated would" but contrasted it with the less definite "the vaccinated may" — that kind of construction is misleading and tantamount to a falsehood, especially when you could just as easily used "may" in both cases.

But whatever. People need to stop claiming that any group of anyone will uniformly do anything. How could that lesson not have sunk in the past 2 years I've seriously stopped listening to anyone who can't control their hyperbole.
Sorry, english is not my mother tongue. The nuances between would, may, should, could may not be too obvious to me, but the fact, that vaccinated do actually spread the virus actively in Germany, as only vaccinated and recovered are allowed and unvaccinated are denied entry - and after that there are mass infections is clear evidence, that vaccinated need to be tested. The narrative, that the unvaccinated drive the infections is simply media ********.

https://youtu.be/ww47bR86wSc
Old 06-11-2021, 21:49   #3050

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I think that is made up BS. Please back up that claim with the evidence you think you have. I doubt that any credible evidence such as that exists.
Just an recent example...
https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/coro..._24400167.html

Btw, hospitalization and death were last year where the whole country was unvaccinated way lower than this year until october - despite over 80% fully vaccination of all adults and over 90% of the vulnerable ages.

Statistically vaccines did not really worked, despite claims otherwise. Hospitalizations of fully vaccinated are on the rise and the gov is mad about booster vaccinations for everyone - physicians push back and want vaccinate the vulnarable first.

The new outbreak wave is caused by omitting pcr tests for vaccinated.
Old 06-11-2021, 22:38   #3051

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Btw, hospitalization and death were last year where the whole country was unvaccinated way lower than this year until october - despite over 80% fully vaccination of all adults and over 90% of the vulnerable ages.
Sorry, but that's just NOT TRUE....

as examples Canada, France, UK, or Germany (see graphs, Mar 2020 to present):

Hospitalizations (BLUE) and Deaths (RED) rates were much higher in earlier waves.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20211106-222957_Firefox.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	247862
from BCCDC Covid Epidemiology App: https://bccdc.shinyapps.io/covid19_global_epi_app/

BTW, THIS thread is about COVID-19 in Canada, and discussions about real data rather than made-up data.

Hospitalizations and Deaths (rates) now plotted separatedly... clearly worse in earlier waves!
Attachment 247863
Old 07-11-2021, 01:09   #3052
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
... We just had our first Christmas Arts & Crafts Fair since Covid hit, and there was a directive from Provincial health authorities that there was to be no checking to see if anyone was vaccinated.
No questions asked, no vaccine passport needed, anybody and everybody allowed in over the two days of the event ...
The directive was a little more nuanced, than you describe:
ORDER OF THE PROVINCIAL HEALTH OFFICER
GATHERINGS AND EVENTS OCTOBER 25, 2021

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/he...ngs-events.pdf

FWIW: I suspect your theory is wrong.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:44   #3053

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
By the way, THIS thread is about COVID-19 in Canada, and discussions about real data rather than made-up data.
+1

Thank you, Pelagia!
LittleWing77
Old 07-11-2021, 04:49   #3054

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Sorry, but that's just NOT TRUE....

as examples Canada, France, UK, or Germany (see graphs, Mar 2020 to present):

Hospitalizations (BLUE) and Deaths (RED) rates were much higher in earlier waves.
Attachment 247862
from BCCDC Covid Epidemiology App: https://bccdc.shinyapps.io/covid19_global_epi_app/

BTW, THIS thread is about COVID-19 in Canada, and discussions about real data rather than made-up data.

Hospitalizations and Deaths (rates) now plotted separatedly... clearly worse in earlier waves!
Attachment 247863
Nice counter Pelagia. Outright falsehoods need to be corrected. But now I suggest we go back to ignoring this poster. He's only here to spread disinformation. And it has nothing to do with this thread.

If we allow him to drive the discussion, it will just lead this thread over the cliff (once again).
Old 07-11-2021, 07:07   #3055

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Nice counter Pelagia. Outright falsehoods need to be corrected. But now I suggest we go back to ignoring this poster. He's only here to spread disinformation. And it has nothing to do with this thread.

If we allow him to drive the discussion, it will just lead this thread over the cliff (once again).
My same thought later. Will ignore.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:48   #3056

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The directive was a little more nuanced, than you describe:
ORDER OF THE PROVINCIAL HEALTH OFFICER
GATHERINGS AND EVENTS OCTOBER 25, 2021

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/he...ngs-events.pdf

FWIW: I suspect your theory is wrong.
Here is what is written in the link you provided above, in section D, regarding "Inside Events"

Quote:
D. PROOF OF VACCINATION

1. This Part applies to inside events, and sections 7 and 8 apply to a program for children or youth, whether held inside or outside.

2. This Part does not apply to
i. a person under 12 years of age, or
ii. a person 12 to 21 years of age who is participating in a program for children or youth or in a sports event.

3. The following requirements apply with respect to an inside event:
a. An organizer must obtain proof in the form of a vaccine card that a participant
has received two doses of vaccine.

b. A participant must provide an organizer with proof in the form of a vaccine card of having received two doses of vaccine.

c. An organizer must not permit a participant who has not provided the organizer with proof in the form of a vaccine card of having received two doses of vaccine to enter or remain a place for the purpose of an event or to participate in an event.

d. A participant who has not provided an organizer with proof in the form of a vaccine card of having received two doses of vaccine must not enter or remain in a place for the purpose of an event or participate in an event.

e. If an event takes place on more than one day, the requirements in this section apply on each of those days.
Like I say, my wife and I didn't need to show our vaccine card to have a booth at the two day fair, and people coming to the fair to buy things didn't have to show their cards either...as allowed by Provincial health authorities.

We all had masks, and they probably controlled the number of people getting in, but that's it.

Shades of things to come.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:21   #3057

Now anti-vaxxers are planning on picketing airports.

https://www.blogto.com/travel/2021/1...onal-airports/
Old 07-11-2021, 08:27   #3058
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

Well Chris Sky is. That’s rather like being head butted by a dead sheep.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:38   #3059

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

Too funny. I suspect there's more than one legal lever that authorities have to shut that down right quick.

I think (hope) that widespread antivax sentiment is fading, as more and more of them slink off to get vaccinated. Or get sick.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:38   #3060

Here's the public notice about the craft fair...note on top right where it says no proof of vaccination needed. This is the only event where proof wasn't needed.

https://www.facebook.com/kitimatleis...type=3&theater

Proof of vaccination needed for pretty much everything else:

https://www.kitimat.ca/en/resources/...ties_FINAL.pdf