Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2021, 12:49   #3181

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Hmmm... the COVID-19 weight gain. Me too. Trying to get back. Not easy.

In summer up north of rapids (and farther north), we try to get exercise kayaking. Helps, but doesn't work as well as hiking (which is difficult up there).
Old 03-12-2021, 13:01   #3182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I am convinced the public health people (my sister is one of them and a government MLA on several health committees in BC) and most politicians are doing the best they can under difficult circumstances to control, and hopefully end, the pandemic. Not every decision can be purely scientific as public attitudes and actions are important input. You can't make rules if the majority doesn't accept them and rebels.
We too think British Columbia has done a (mostly) good job re Covid, and we (mostly) support Bonnie Henry.

But, living in Whistler, we have been (and are currently) impacted by some mistakes:

- B.C. didn't put in any enforceable/legal prohibitions against travellers from out of province. At Whistler last Spring, we had tons of visitors from other provinces (and even USA... some found business loopholes) and we ended up with highest infection rate in Canada. Eventually, after it was too late (after Spring Breaks finished), Bonnie ordered Whistler-Blackcomb closed. And then did community-wide vaccination.

When the province-wide travel restrictions were finally imposed in the Spring, there were no enforceable/enforced prohibitions for visitors from out-of-province.....

- currently: no vaccination required to ride cramped/confined gondolas (6-10 persons, often with windows frozen closed), whereas restaurants/bars (with better air circulation) require vaccination. Doesn't make sense. Whistler locals are wondering if there will be another outbreak and shutdown (for 3rd year). So far, about 12000 have signed a petition: https://www.change.org/p/vail-resort...o-ski-and-ride

So, Bonnie and gov not always consistent.
Old 03-12-2021, 13:25   #3183

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
We too think British Columbia has done a (mostly) good job re Covid, and we (mostly) support Bonnie Henry.

But, living in Whistler, we have been (and are currently) impacted by some mistakes:

- B.C. didn't put in any enforceable/legal prohibitions against travellers from out of province. At Whistler last Spring, we had tons of visitors from other provinces (and even USA... some found business loopholes) and we ended up with highest infection rate in Canada. Eventually, after it was too late (after Spring Breaks finished), Bonnie ordered Whistler-Blackcomb closed. And then did community-wide vaccination.

When the province-wide travel restrictions were finally imposed in the Spring, there were no enforceable/enforced prohibitions for visitors from out-of-province.....

- currently: no vaccination required to ride cramped/confined gondolas (6-10 persons, often with windows frozen closed), whereas restaurants/bars (with better air circulation) require vaccination. Doesn't make sense. Whistler locals are wondering if there will be another outbreak and shutdown (for 3rd year). So far, about 12000 have signed a petition: https://www.change.org/p/vail-resort...o-ski-and-ride

So, Bonnie and gov not always consistent.
True enough. I remember last season being concerned that while other ski resorts were shutting down, Whistler wasn't. With Vail owning the place I expect they will get away with anything they legally can to maximize profits. They have certainly shown that in the past when they reduced the slope grooming and laid off some of the best people.Last season they were advertising all over North America and inviting people to come - encouraging them to violate travel bans. They should have been charged with Enticement or Conspiracy or something.

I think it would be very reasonable to require a vaccination check (as at bars and restaurants) for anyone getting a lift ticket. I think several ski hills around the province are doing just that.

Maybe I'll write another letter to the WCB. They have more clout over employers and can make their own rules in order to protect employees. They are the ones that enforce the mask mandates in all work places to protect the workers and, collaterally, also protect customers. They have a LOT of inspectors and enforcement authority, and can, and do, levy some pretty hefty fines on recalcitrant businesses.
Old 03-12-2021, 13:40   #3184

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
This era is a research data gold mine.

It'll be interesting, once we reach a Covid endemic state, to compare how countries like Canada with universal health care systems faired against those countries which don't have universal health care, and how governments with different health care systems managed the pandemic with their policies, messaging, etc.
I am very anxious to see this as well and really hope there are some impartial sources who can interpret the results for us as a basis for future actions should this happen again. We do have a fair range of responses and the results of Sweden's decisions will be very illuminating I hope.
Old 03-12-2021, 14:09   #3185

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
It's a reasonable precaution imo in light of a new variant of concern about which very little is known yet. Try to slow the inevitable spread and learn more about it in order to combat it more effectively. BC has determined that there are approx 200 persons in the province who have arrived recently from known affected countries and they are being isolated and tested and their contacts traced. Again, seems like a reasonable precaution imo.
I'm wondering if we are talking about the same article, desodave. Here is the excerpt of the key point I am commenting on:

"As of Nov. 30, everyone age 12 and older will need to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to travel from Canadian airports and trains, including VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains.
This policy came into effect on Oct. 30 but until the end of November, there was a "transition period" where proof of a negative PCR test with 72 hours of travel was accepted for individuals who were not fully vaccinated. This alternative will not be accepted moving forward."
"
While I fully agree with you that it is important to " Try to slow the inevitable spread and learn more about it in order to combat it more effectively," I am completely at a loss how changing the rules for domestic flights from requiring a pcr negative test for the unvaccinated to requiring vaccination instead contributes to "slowing the spread". Considering that the vaccinated have breakthrough infections, isn't the policy of requiring testing for the unvaccinated actually a more efficacious pubic health policy? And if so, then isn't this new policy prohibiting the unvaccinated from flying domestically only a coercive act with no basis in science at all in terms of slowing the spread of the virus on internal flights?

It's not a trick question.
Old 03-12-2021, 14:13   #3186

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Quote:
My last couple of summers while in high school and college in the mid 60's I worked, for the first couple of years, as a deckhand on a fisheries patrol boat, then as a patrolman with my own boat. I walked A LOT of streams in Smith Inlet, Wyclees Lagoon, and Long Lake counting fish! Back then I don't think bear spray had been invented. They gave me a WWII surplus 30-06. Fortunately I never had to use it.
That would be pretty wild country all right. Good Grizzly country, I bet.

My first job after graduating high school was as a River Guardian on Yeo Island in Return Channel. Had a one room cabin, a small open speed boat, went into Bella Bella once a week for food, walked bear trails all summer, was never offered a gun and didn't want one, and didn't have one bad bear encounter.

We've been up all the north coast mainland inlets and channels, but not Smith yet. We sea kayaked past there on our way south, but stayed to the outside.

Hopefully this summer we'll sneak into Smith and Rivers Inlet, Bella Coola, and the Mean Dean when we go back to Pruth Bay on Calvert Island. The Estevan Group is also calling. We saved the top end of Gardner Canal for retirement so we could spend at least a month up there to have the time to do it justice.

So much to discover!
Old 03-12-2021, 14:19   #3187

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
I am very anxious to see this as well and really hope there are some impartial sources who can interpret the results for us as a basis for future actions should this happen again. We do have a fair range of responses and the results of Sweden's decisions will be very illuminating I hope.
Sure, as long as they keep an eye on societal factors.

Sweden has a populace who on the whole trusts their government and can self regulate behaviour when asked to do so.

Other countries might require different strategies.
Old 03-12-2021, 14:27   #3188

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Again I ask you: If you are not Canadian and are in Spain, why are you on this thread? It's about Covid in Canada. Intelligent participation by those in Canada, or Canadians abroad is welcome. Rabble-rousing, just for the fun of it, is not.
You are being rude, Scorpius. I remind you again that all members of this site have the right to participate in any threads they please regardless of nationality. I have commented on a post by Montanan regarding a Yahoo news article on new restrictions for unvaccinated Canadians on internal flights and trains. My post, as the vast majority of my posts here, was on topic and, unlike yours, it was civil.

My friendly advice to you is to take a pause and give some thought to your reply and how you word it, as I expect the Mods are watching this thread.
Old 03-12-2021, 14:42   #3189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
You are being rude, Scorpius. I remind you again that all members of this site have the right to participate in any threads they please regardless of nationality. I have commented on a post by Montanan regarding a Yahoo news article on new restrictions for unvaccinated Canadians on internal flights and trains. My post, as the vast majority of my posts here, was on topic and, unlike yours, it was civil.

My friendly advice to you is to take a pause and give some thought to your reply and how you word it, as I expect the Mods are watching this thread.

Geez, I thought I said what I did rather politely. However, enough. I'm joining a number of intelligent people on this thread who have, I believe, blocked you. Goodbye.
Old 03-12-2021, 14:55   #3190

Quote:

Hopefully this summer we'll sneak into Smith and Rivers Inlet, Bella Coola, and the Mean Dean when we go back to Pruth Bay on Calvert Island. The Estevan Group is also calling. We saved the top end of Gardner Canal for retirement so we could spend at least a month up there to have the time to do it justice.

So much to discover!
Why "sneak" in?

Yes, so much to see, so little time... (COVID-19 notwithstanding).
Old 03-12-2021, 14:57   #3191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post

But we're just not interested in your stuff. Hence, here's another "ignore".....

Try the Oz thread, they're pretty "polite".
Old 03-12-2021, 15:00   #3192

Quote:
True enough. I remember last season being concerned that while other ski resorts were shutting down, Whistler wasn't. With Vail owning the place I expect they will get away with anything they legally can to maximize profits. They have certainly shown that in the past when they reduced the slope grooming and laid off some of the best people.Last season they were advertising all over North America and inviting people to come - encouraging them to violate travel bans. They should have been charged with Enticement or Conspiracy or something.

I think it would be very reasonable to require a vaccination check (as at bars and restaurants) for anyone getting a lift ticket. I think several ski hills around the province are doing just that.

Maybe I'll write another letter to the WCB. They have more clout over employers and can make their own rules in order to protect employees. They are the ones that enforce the mask mandates in all work places to protect the workers and, collaterally, also protect customers. They have a LOT of inspectors and enforcement authority, and can, and do, levy some pretty hefty fines on recalcitrant businesses.
W-B/Vail has aptly demonstrated that they don't care sh&t about our safety at Whistler.

A letter to Bonnie (and Adrian) can't hurt (though she has received -- likely not read - - from many, including us). Oh, and the petition, too.

(Yes, several ski hills in BC are requiring vaccinations, including: Grouse, Revelstoke, Kimberley, Fernie, Kicking Horse)
Old 03-12-2021, 15:08   #3193

Quote:
Why "sneak" in?

Yes, so much to see, so little time... (COVID-19 notwithstanding).
Hmmmm...why would I use the word sneak? Good question!

We prefer the remote, quiet places where you sometimes don't see another boat for a week or more, or until you come back into the main waterways. The goal being to not disrupt things so we can photograph wildlife and scenery as undisturbed as possible.

Yes, somebody will be sure to point out we have a power boat, but in low idle you can barely hear it a few boat lengths away.
Old 03-12-2021, 17:24   #3194

Quote:
That would be pretty wild country all right. Good Grizzly country, I bet.

My first job after graduating high school was as a River Guardian on Yeo Island in Return Channel. Had a one room cabin, a small open speed boat, went into Bella Bella once a week for food, walked bear trails all summer, was never offered a gun and didn't want one, and didn't have one bad bear encounter.

We've been up all the north coast mainland inlets and channels, but not Smith yet. We sea kayaked past there on our way south, but stayed to the outside.

So much to discover!
The last season (1966) I was up there, because I had the smallest patrol boat, I was assigned to do the sports fishery in Rivers. I had to issue licenses to everyone who came to fish there (and there were a lot in those days) because the rules were different than elsewhere on the coast: only two fish a day and six for the season - which wasn't bad considering the average weight that summer was 44 lbs! All fish had to be cleaned in front of me on my little floating dock. I had to weigh them, determine sex and maturity while they were being cleaned, and take scale samples. I caught a 67 pounder myself! I was also taken aboard the Island Champion (which Island Tug and Barge brought up every year and anchored at the head to cater to fly-in VIP's), ostensibly to issue licenses and give my little talk about the local rules, but really to see how drunk they could get the kid. Pretty drunk as it turned out. I don't remember most the evening and I've not been able to even look at Scotch since!

I was also the supply vessel for the guardian in the little one room cabin at the mouth of the Owikeno River (they didn't give him a boat. You were lucky). Together we built a dock and ramp so I could get to him and fixed up his cabin with insulation and plywood we salvaged from the old Rivers Inlet cannery nearby. His predecessor hunted mice in the cabin with his government issue 30-06 and had been taken out in a straitjacket. We had A LOT of holes in the roof to patch! Aw, those were the days

If you get into Smith go around the back of Greaves Island and to the far west end of the Ahclakerho - where the tidal channel leads out to Takush Harbour. It's an absolutely magical anchorage and the channel at low tide puts Burnaby Narrows to shame. Also Finis Nook on the south side of Boswell Inlet. Unfortunately it's a little too close to a big Interfor camp across the inlet in Security Bay. It's still one of my favourite places on the coast to take Scorpius. Very, very few boats visit these days. Most that get up that way are American hell-bent to get to Alaska.
Old 03-12-2021, 17:33   #3195

Quote:
W-B/Vail has aptly demonstrated that they don't care sh&t about our safety at Whistler.

A letter to Bonnie (and Adrian) can't hurt (though she has received -- likely not read - - from many, including us). Oh, and the petition, too.

(Yes, several ski hills in BC are requiring vaccinations, including: Grouse, Revelstoke, Kimberley, Fernie, Kicking Horse)
Well, my sister is a retired Public Health nursing manager (RN). She was still working and was very involved in the early big Covid outbreak at Lynn Valley Care home where so many were killed before the rules for care homes were introduced (she helped write them). Then she retired to run in the last provincial election and is now the NDP MLA for North Vancouver-Seymour. She's on several health committees. Oh, and she's also a medic in the Navy Reserve. I'll have this conversation with her and see what we can do.