Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2021, 17:45   #3196

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
The last season (1966) I was up there, because I had the smallest patrol boat, I was assigned to do the sports fishery in Rivers. I had to issue licenses to everyone who came to fish there (and there were a lot in those days) because the rules were different than elsewhere on the coast: only two fish a day and six for the season - which wasn't bad considering the average weight that summer was 44 lbs! All fish had to be cleaned in front of me on my little floating dock. I had to weigh them, determine sex and maturity while they were being cleaned, and take scale samples. I caught a 67 pounder myself! I was also taken aboard the Island Champion (which Island Tug and Barge brought up every year and anchored at the head to cater to fly-in VIP's), ostensibly to issue licenses and give my little talk about the local rules, but really to see how drunk they could get the kid. Pretty drunk as it turned out. I don't remember most the evening and I've not been able to even look at Scotch since!

I was also the supply vessel for the guardian in the little one room cabin at the mouth of the Owikeno River (they didn't give him a boat. You were lucky). Together we built a dock and ramp so I could get to him and fixed up his cabin with insulation and plywood we salvaged from the old Rivers Inlet cannery nearby. His predecessor hunted mice in the cabin with his government issue 30-06 and had been taken out in a straitjacket. We had A LOT of holes in the roof to patch! Aw, those were the days

If you get into Smith go around the back of Greaves Island and to the far west end of the Ahclakerho - where the tidal channel leads out to Takush Harbour. It's an absolutely magical anchorage and the channel at low tide puts Burnaby Narrows to shame. Also Finis Nook on the south side of Boswell Inlet. Unfortunately it's a little too close to a big Interfor camp across the inlet in Security Bay. It's still one of my favourite places on the coast to take Scorpius. Very, very few boats visit these days. Most that get up that way are American hell-bent to get to Alaska.
Ahhh, it's aways nice to waltz down Memory Lane. Thanks for the tips!

It's easy to find interesting, quiet places north of Cape Caution. As you say, most people are on the Inside Passage Treadmill and don't venture off of it. Fine by me!!!!

Yup, some people go batty for sure out there. My wife and I spent six months in total sea kayaking the coast, with a 2 month section during winter. We, and our relationship, survived
Old 03-12-2021, 17:53   #3197

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
My wife and I spent six months in total sea kayaking the coast, with a 2 month section during winter. We, and our relationship, survived

Wow! Impressive! And I thought I was adventurous!
Old 03-12-2021, 18:05   #3198

From our local newspaper (the Coast Reporter):

New B.C. COVID-19 infections up, as serious infections fall

COVID-19 hospitalizations have not been this low since September 9.

The recent trend in the COVID-19 pandemic in B.C. has been a rise in new daily infections, and a decline in serious illness. It takes a while for serious illnesses to develop, however, so the rise in new cases could foretell problems down the road.

There were 405 British Columbians diagnosed in the past day with COVID-19. That's the first time that number has been over 400 since November 25.

There are 276 COVID-19 patients in B.C. hospitals, which is the fewest since September 9. Of those 95 patients are in ICUs, which is the fewest since August 30.

Active cases rose by 51, compared with yesterday, to 3,071 – the highest number since November 22.
Old 03-12-2021, 18:11   #3199

Quote:
Wow! Impressive! And I thought I was adventurous!
Actually, the hard part is not letting other peoples negativity get into your head. After about 3 weeks, it just becomes your normal life.
Old 03-12-2021, 18:16   #3200

Also from our local paper, the Coast Reporter:

Anti-vaccine protesters wear Yellow Star outside Sunshine Coast holiday craft fair.

It's too long a story to post here in full. Here's the link if you are interested:

https://www.coastreporter.net/local-...campaign=Email

Ignorant idiots!
Old 03-12-2021, 19:03   #3201

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
I am very anxious to see this as well and really hope there are some impartial sources who can interpret the results for us as a basis for future actions should this happen again. We do have a fair range of responses and the results of Sweden's decisions will be very illuminating I hope.
Yes. We've been running a number of public health experiments with our various approaches to the disease. My theory from the very early days is that societies which can operate collectively will do better than those that lean to the other end of the spectrum.

Note, this could be societies with high levels of trust and social capital like the Nordic countries, or it could be ones with high levels of control like China.

I see Murray is thinking along these same lines.
Old 03-12-2021, 20:27   #3202

Quote:

Back in the day good old days, before this inter-web thingy was invented, crackpot whackos were lonely, isolated individuals stewing in their conspiracy theories gaining no traction with the bulk of society.

They now have a global community, feel part of a growing movement, and can organize and schedule events like this one.

Sad...
Old 03-12-2021, 20:34   #3203

Quote:
Back in the day good old days, before this inter-web thingy was invented, crackpot whackos were lonely, isolated individuals stewing in their conspiracy theories gaining no traction with the bulk of society.

They now have a global community, feel part of a growing movement, and can organize and schedule events like this one.

Sad...

What a shame. What idiots. At least they are not picketing the hospitals, vaccination sites, etc. A month ago they picketed the Sechelt Hospital - not allowing ambulances to get in.
Old 03-12-2021, 20:43   #3204

Scorpius:

My thanks, too, for your lovely post #3195 :-)!

Did you know Bill Wolferstan?

And please give my respects to your sister along with my thanks for her contributions to my beloved adopted province :-)

TrentePieds
Old 03-12-2021, 20:48   #3205

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Well, my sister is a retired Public Health nursing manager (RN). She was still working and was very involved in the early big Covid outbreak at Lynn Valley Care home where so many were killed before the rules for care homes were introduced (she helped write them). Then she retired to run in the last provincial election and is now the NDP MLA for North Vancouver-Seymour. She's on several health committees. Oh, and she's also a medic in the Navy Reserve. I'll have this conversation with her and see what we can do.
Good on her (Susie C.)!

Anything that can help....
Old 03-12-2021, 20:49   #3206

Quote:

Sad...

True. The goonies and their "messages" get reflected by msm, too, 'cuz bothsiderism...

Sad
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 03-12-2021, 20:51   #3207

Quote:

Anti-vaccine protesters wear Yellow Star outside Sunshine Coast holiday craft fair.

It's too long a story to post here in full. Here's the link if you are interested:

Ignorant idiots!
Our friends over in the Oz thread would have much stronger words... and I'd agree!
Old 03-12-2021, 20:54   #3208

Quote:
If you get into Smith go around the back of Greaves Island and to the far west end of the Ahclakerho - where the tidal channel leads out to Takush Harbour. It's an absolutely magical anchorage and the channel at low tide puts Burnaby Narrows to shame.
Really? That must be spectacular, because Burnaby Narrows is just that at zero tide!
Old 03-12-2021, 20:57   #3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Scorpius:

My thanks, too, for your lovely post #3195 :-)!

Did you know Bill Wolferstan?

And please give my respects to your sister along with my thanks for her contributions to my beloved adopted province :-)

TrentePieds

I certainly know the name, but I can't say I KNEW him. I'm a bit of a recluse. Don't socialize much beyond family and a few close friends.
Old 03-12-2021, 21:01   #3210

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Really? That must be spectacular, because Burnaby Narrows is just that at zero tide!

Yup. I've been to both with Scorpius. The pass from the Ahclakerho to Takush Harbour in Smith Inlet has only 2-3 feet of water in it at HIGH tide and so is impassable with a larger vessel. Also it's so narrow the branches from the trees on either side touch in the middle. Fairly long though.