Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 09:24   #3241

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Interesting, and rather sad debate going on in the BC chiropractic world.

CBC:B.C. chiropractors vote for regulator to 'take a stand' against COVID-19 vaccine mandate

and then...

Chiropractors' association 'appalled and disappointed' by anti-vaccine statements at B.C. meeting
Old 05-12-2021, 11:40   #3242

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

I can't believe those guys. IMHO they are half mystics anyhow - holdovers from the ancient high priests and shamans who used newts' eyeballs to cure anything that came along. They should be ashamed that, as a regulated health profession, and therefore with some stature and credibility with the public, they are speaking on an issue for which they have no qualifications. If an MD speaks publicly about ANYTHING outside of his specific field of training and practice he is quickly slapped down by the College.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:44   #3243

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

It can't be all that bad. It's not like Chiropractors are spending lots of time in a small room with dozens of different people all day long.

Oh...wait a minute...
Old 05-12-2021, 12:58   #3244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I can't believe those guys. IMHO they are half mystics anyhow - holdovers from the ancient high priests and shamans who used newts' eyeballs to cure anything that came along. They should be ashamed that, as a regulated health profession, and therefore with some stature and credibility with the public, they are speaking on an issue for which they have no qualifications. If an MD speaks publicly about ANYTHING outside of his specific field of training and practice he is quickly slapped down by the College.

If I read between the lines, it appears the college meeting got hijacked by a more fringe element of the profession.
Old 05-12-2021, 13:11   #3245

Boat: Sceptre 41

"fringe" chiropractors? isn't that redundant?

Looks like chiropractors in private practice will soon find themselves subject to the vaccine mandate. Shucks. (Any working in health facilities are already subject to vaccine mandate.)
https://thecanadian.news/2021/12/04/...canadian-news/
Old 05-12-2021, 13:12   #3246

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
If I read between the lines, it appears the college meeting got hijacked by a more fringe element of the profession.

Agreed ... but 13% of the total membership voted for the resolution which imo is a very high proportion of a quasi-medical profession.
Old 05-12-2021, 13:25   #3247

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
"fringe" chiropractors? isn't that redundant?

Could be. I generally place them just slightly above homeopaths or naturopaths. When chiropractors stay in their lane, they do seem to produce measurable beneficial results (at least for some). But clearly virology is way outside their scope of competency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Agreed ... but 13% of the total membership voted for the resolution which imo is a very high proportion of a quasi-medical profession.
True. I just take some comfort in the subject of the second article which states: "The largest organization representing chiropractors in B.C. is condemning anti-vaccine statements made by some practitioners at a meeting of their professional regulator this week."

So while it's a significant proportion, the anti-views are still the small minority. In fact, at 13%, it seems to roughly mirror the number of anti-vaxxers in the general public.
Old 05-12-2021, 14:03   #3248

Quote:
Could be. I generally place them just slightly above homeopaths or naturopaths. When chiropractors stay in their lane, they do seem to produce measurable beneficial results (at least for some). But clearly virology is way outside their scope of competency.

True. I just take some comfort in the subject of the second article which states: "The largest organization representing chiropractors in B.C. is condemning anti-vaccine statements made by some practitioners at a meeting of their professional regulator this week."

So while it's a significant proportion, the annti[/I]-views are still the small minority. In fact, at 13%, it seems to roughly mirror the number of anti-vaxxers in the general public.
I doubt 13% is ALL of the anti-vax chiropractors. They were the ones that attended the meeting of only a quarter of all chiropractors. Yes, I am hopeful, even confident, that they are only a minority of all chiropractors in the province - but only 13%? I seriously doubt it.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:01   #3249
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Omicron variant arrives in Thunder Bay
Up to eight people, in Thunder Bay, may be infected with the Omicron variant.
The Thunder Bay District Health Unit on Sunday said four cases have been confirmed, and four more are expected to be confirmed, when test results are verified.
More ➥ https://www.tbnewswatch.com/coronavi...er-bay-4832140

Old 07-12-2021, 04:54   #3250

G&M:
Canadian COVID-19 vaccine shows efficacy in large scale clinical trial

Quote:
A vaccine developed by Quebec-based Medicago Inc. has shown greater than 70-per-cent efficacy against a range of COVID-19 variants in a large-scale clinical trial, the company said on Tuesday.
Dr. Ward said the results should not be compared directly with figures released last year by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna duringthe clinical trials for their vaccines. Both showed greater than 90-per-cent efficacy. But those trials were conducted before COVID-19 variants of concern were widespread. The variants have presented vaccineswith a somewhat different pathogen than the one they were designed to fight.

“In the variant world, 70 to 75 per cent is a really good vaccine,” Dr. Ward said.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:01   #3251
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
The Quebec City company, Medicago, announced Tuesday [1], that its two-dose vaccine had an overall vaccine efficacy rate, against all variants of SARS-COV-2, of 71% effective at preventing COVID-19 infection in a large, late-stage study, that included several variants, including the delta variant, but not the emerging omicron variant, which wasn’t circulating during the study period.
Medicago uses plants as living factories, to grow “vaccine-like particles,” (VLP) which are designed to mimic the structure of viruses, so that the immune system can recognize them, and build an antibody response to them. VLPs do not contain core genetic materials, which makes them non-infectious and unable to replicate.
British partner GlaxoSmithKline contributes an immune-boosting chemical, called an adjuvant, to the vaccine.
Based on these results, Medicago will imminently seek regulatory approval from Health Canada as part of its rolling submission.
The vaccine candidate is not yet approved by any regulatory authorities.

[1] Medicago and GSK announce positive Phase 3 efficacy and safety results for adjuvanted plant-based COVID-19 vaccine candidate
https://medicago.com/en/press-releas...ine-candidate/

Old 09-12-2021, 03:05   #3252

G&M: Number of surgeries performed in Canada fell more than half a million during pandemic, report says

Quote:
The number of surgeries performed at Canadian hospitals fell by more than half a million from March, 2020, to June, 2021, according to a new report that highlights the collateral damage caused by the pandemic.
Tracy Johnson, director of health system analytics at CIHI, said it is unclear exactly what the pandemic’s long-term effects on health care will be.
Like I say, it will take years to truly understand the impact the pandemic has had on our societies.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:57   #3253

Quote:
G&M: Number of surgeries performed in Canada fell more than half a million during pandemic, report says

Like I say, it will take years to truly understand the impact the pandemic has had on our societies.
Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver has had to significantly reduce scheduled surgeries due to staffing issues. People, particularly nurses, are burning out and leaving. According to the report 15 nursing positions are sitting vacant.

https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/pa...s-gate-4553296
Old 10-12-2021, 08:13   #3254

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

Quote:
Of random note and potentially offering something to equally encourage/offend
all, my wife (FP physician) got the original covid 19 infection (multiple PCR tests/classic symptoms), recovered, then received 2x Pfizer vaccine doses, then caught Delta - confirmed by multiple tests including PCR/symptoms, then recovered again. I got the original covid 19 virus, got two Moderna, was *highly* exposed to her during Delta stint (shared space/drinks/food) but before we knew she had covid again, took multiple PCR/rapid test turning out negative Delta. She indicates that they are seeing a LOT of post vaccination breakthroughs to the extent that she and her colleges would not call post vaccination breakthrough illness "uncommon" per se. No conclusions here, other than wondering if maybe this thing is going to come through like a freight train and very few of our efforts (beyond vaccination/natural immunity blunting serious effects of subsequent variant infection) are going to slow it much and it is going to have to attenuate over time. Other than that, God bless, safe sailing!
Old 10-12-2021, 09:08   #3255

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_MO View Post
Of random note and potentially offering something to equally encourage/offend
all, my wife (FP physician) got the original covid 19 infection (multiple PCR tests/classic symptoms), recovered, then received 2x Pfizer vaccine doses, then caught Delta - confirmed by multiple tests including PCR/symptoms, then recovered again. I got the original covid 19 virus, got two Moderna, was *highly* exposed to her during Delta stint (shared space/drinks/food) but before we knew she had covid again, took multiple PCR/rapid test turning out negative Delta. She indicates that they are seeing a LOT of post vaccination breakthroughs to the extent that she and her colleges would not call post vaccination breakthrough illness "uncommon" per se. No conclusions here, other than wondering if maybe this thing is going to come through like a freight train and very few of our efforts (beyond vaccination/natural immunity blunting serious effects of subsequent variant infection) are going to slow it much and it is going to have to attenuate over time. Other than that, God bless, safe sailing!
Stephen, I would love her comments/observations about the acuity of the sickness in the breakthrough cases versus unvaccinated and first time sicknesses. This is going to be the best argument going forward to get the reluctant to vaccinate in my opinion. What is best for your fellow man and threatening with vaguely accurate outcomes is clearly not working.