Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 05:11   #316

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

And in other Newfoundland news, it appears the hoped-for opening of the province to the rest of Canada on July 17th is now looking doubtful:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...sion-1.5648612

Those of us non-residents with boats in Newfoundland continue to be barred from entry. This is why I'm heading west on my motorcycle. It's the next best way to travel .
Old 15-07-2020, 05:13   #317

I love the way NF is handling things. Seems kind of shortsighted on the sailors parts. I wonder what the "plan" was if they hadn't run into issues.
Old 15-07-2020, 09:54   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Are you kidding Stu? They're so wrapped up in what's going on in the slum holes down south they could care less.

Good morning. Could you please explain what that means?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 15-07-2020, 13:22   #319

Hmmm, now this is an interesting finding.

Autopsies point the finger at Covid-19 immune response

An autopsy-based study of 11 people who died from COVID-19 shows a mismatch between viral hotspots in the body and sites of inflammation and organ damage. This suggests that immune responses, rather than the virus itself, are responsible for death. The survey of 37 anatomical sites, including the lungs, found that some tissues harboured the virus but were not inflamed, whereas others were damaged but did not contain high levels of SARS-CoV-2.
Reference: medRxiv preprint (not yet peer reviewed)

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....02.20145003v1
Old 15-07-2020, 14:48   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
And in other Newfoundland news, it appears the hoped-for opening of the province to the rest of Canada on July 17th is now looking doubtful:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...sion-1.5648612

Those of us non-residents with boats in Newfoundland continue to be barred from entry. This is why I'm heading west on my motorcycle. It's the next best way to travel .

TOURISTS BE WARNED!!!

We're doing OK here in Western Canada right now with COVID cases. We watch in horror as the rest of the U.S. spikes and wonder how long before it makes its way here.

So if you plan on vacationing here this summer I think you should know that RED ANTS and BED BUGS have infested hotels and motels across the area due to a wetter than usual spring. MOUNTAIN LIONS have eaten all the domesticated animals and a few small people. POISON IVY has overtaken all other vegetation. We have had BEAR AND BIGFOOT sightings at every park and ballfield. PORCUPINES are stabbing anyone who dares to enter the forest. SKUNKS wander the local roads in stinkpacks and... MURDER HORNETS!?! We’ve got ####LOADS of murder hornets. Also, the HEAD LICE here fly now.

We are also known for Wood Ticks that congregate near firewood and lawn chairs as well as Deer Ticks that are large enough to take down a 5 point buck (10 pointer if you are in the US)

Canada Geese are born angry and love to attack strangers but they don’t bother you if you stay inside at all times.

So stay where you are, in your own province, where it's safe!

Seriously, DO NOT COME HERE.
Old 15-07-2020, 15:02   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinarius View Post
TOURISTS BE WARNED!!!

We're doing OK here in Western Canada right now with COVID cases. We watch in horror as the rest of the U.S. spikes and wonder how long before it makes its way here.

So if you plan on vacationing here this summer I think you should know that RED ANTS and BED BUGS have infested hotels and motels across the area due to a wetter than usual spring. MOUNTAIN LIONS have eaten all the domesticated animals and a few small people. POISON IVY has overtaken all other vegetation. We have had BEAR AND BIGFOOT sightings at every park and ballfield. PORCUPINES are stabbing anyone who dares to enter the forest. SKUNKS wander the local roads in stinkpacks and... MURDER HORNETS!?! We’ve got ####LOADS of murder hornets. Also, the HEAD LICE here fly now.

We are also known for Wood Ticks that congregate near firewood and lawn chairs as well as Deer Ticks that are large enough to take down a 5 point buck (10 pointer if you are in the US)

Canada Geese are born angry and love to attack strangers but they don’t bother you if you stay inside at all times.

So stay where you are, in your own province, where it's safe!

Seriously, DO NOT COME HERE.
So basically just another ordinary Canadian summer, nothing new to see or experience then, been there done that, don't need a repeat. Meanwhile, Disney World is open and does not have large crowds and the positive Covid testing rate is only running around 20+% in the area, so that means you only have a one in five chance of being exposed, rather good odds if you are of the betting sort.

So when you coming to Get Lost in Montana? Which official tourism logo is now been changed to, Get Lost! Don't come to Montana, please.

Seriously the worst and largest mosquitos I have ever experienced was on our trip to Banff / Jasper. Beautiful country but dang is it buggy. Heck almost every Canadian family we saw kept asking to use our mosquito repellant that we brought loads of with us from Montana. We were wondering like: What you don't have OFF or WoodsBay DEET in Canada! The locals didn't come prepared to be outside. One evening I was tempted to get out the Bear Spray to see if that might deter the flying bombers.
Old 15-07-2020, 19:11   #322

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Good morning. Could you please explain what that means?
Stu, here in the central US not all, but many, "northerners" consider the states in the South to still be not really that much different from what they were during the Civil War era. They even have a funny accent down there and they are pretty much just "different" than we are up here.

If you've ever been to those cities in that part of the US, they put a pretty face on the front, but inside it's what we call a "slum" with chronic high levels of unemployment and crime, gross mis-management on the part of state and local authorities, rampant drug problems and trafficking, etc..

Down there is where all the present Corona outbreaks are taking place. And that gets all the attention. They could care less what's going on up here.

Hence the description of that area of the US that you got from a rather opinionated "northerner" that would not live there if they gave us everything for free and paid us on the side to move down there. I mean, they get 1" of snow down there and they declare a state-wide emergency, ok? Where 1" here is 11" short of being able to get the snow machines out and have some fun.
Old 15-07-2020, 19:30   #323

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Cruising couple,

I lived about 30 years in Philadelphia. It strikes me the biggest inner city problems are in the North. Take for example Detroit and Camden, NJ. Not that Philly NYC, Boston, and Chicago are not in the running.

In fact I’ve never met the “northerners” you are quoting.

So as a Northener I want to make sure folks here know you are NOT talking about me or anyone know in your above post. For all I know you may be accurately reporting the thoughts of people you know. They aren’t the people I know.
Old 15-07-2020, 20:03   #324

Quote:
TOURISTS BE WARNED!!!

This is making the rounds. My wife showed me something on Facebook using the same prose to scare people away from the Muskokas (popular $$$ cottage area).
Old 16-07-2020, 04:46   #325

Quote:
TOURISTS BE WARNED!!!

... Seriously, DO NOT COME HERE.
This is kinda funny given the number of Alberta license plates I'm seeing on Ontario highways so far. Waayy more than from other provinces, even though we're physically closer to Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

If it calms your fear response, we're going to our extended family's home.
Old 16-07-2020, 07:30   #326

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
This is kinda funny given the number of Alberta license plates I'm seeing on Ontario highways so far. Waayy more than from other provinces, even though we're physically closer to Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

If it calms your fear response, we're going to our extended family's home.
One, an Alberta go to Saskatchewan for fun... pshaw!
Two, Manitoba is still pretty shutdown.
Three, the ones in Ontario are just spies... we want our money back and
Four, the weather here sucks so far this summer—we need out

But you are welcome any time Mike.
Old 16-07-2020, 10:43   #327

Well that is not what one would hope to hear but given the nature of a coronavirus it is likely the reality. Live or die with it.

The coronavirus is likely to keep returning “over a number of years”, the UK's government’s chief scientific adviser has warned. Sir Patrick Vallance has become the latest top scientist to warn COVID-19 will probably be a long-term feature of people’s lives. He told MPs at the Commons science and technology committee on Thursday: “There’s a very high likelihood that come winter, we will see an increase in cases. “You could argue that’s the tail-end of the first wave coming back. “And I think it’s quite probable that we will see this virus coming back in different waves over a number of years.”

Last month, when Boris Johnson announced the easing of lockdown measures, Professor Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, warned the virus is likely to be in circulation in the “winter and into next spring”.

In May, Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, England’s deputy chief medical officer, also said: “The reality is, until we get a vaccine, and only if we get a vaccine that is really capable of suppressing disease levels, will we ever be ‘out of this’? “From that perspective, we may have to live, and learn to live, with this virus in the long-term. Certainly for many months to come, if not years.”

Meanwhile, Sir Patrick also said on Thursday that a fresh spike in cases later this year would still be part of the first wave of the outbreak.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/patrick-v...152231533.html
Old 16-07-2020, 13:33   #328

Quote:
The Alberta plates are laid-off oilpatch folks going home.

Slight derail - I heard a Newfoundlander describe the Alberta oilsands jobs as being like a cat litter-box: you jump in, you do your business, you jump out.

Safe travels. Blogging your bike trip?
Old 16-07-2020, 14:36   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The Alberta plates are laid-off oilpatch folks going home.
You could be right, although I would have thought that return traffic has already gone past. The oil business has been in quite a long slump now.

Quote:
Slight derail - I heard a Newfoundlander describe the Alberta oilsands jobs as being like a cat litter-box: you jump in, you do your business, you jump out.
The litter box is not confined to Alberta oil fields work either. Northern Ontario attracts lots of workers from Atlantic Canada, perhaps most particularly from Newfoundland. When I lived in the small northern town of Marathon the local grocery store had a whole Newfoundland aisle. You could buy hardtack and bakeapple and toutons and scrunchions and Purity biscuits and cods tongue and salted everything! It was grand .

Quote:
Safe travels. Blogging your bike trip?
Many thanks. Yup, I'll be babbling about our travels. Now that you mention it, I'm a bit behind. Better get back to writing.

We just finished servicing the bikes today. Tomorrow we pack, which means we have to figure out how to put our lives into a few small saddle bags. So...

Tomorrow night I'll be Alberta bound
Alberta bound, Alberta bound
It's good to be Alberta bound
Alberta bound, Alberta bound
It's good to be Alberta bound
Old 16-07-2020, 15:12   #330

The Canadian federal government has reached an agreement with the provinces and territories for more than $19 billion in transfers as part of the safe restart agreement.

“As part of this agreement, we’ve outlined seven priority areas on which to focus our efforts, like increasing testing and contact tracing, securing more personal protective equipment, and more support for the most vulnerable, including for seniors in long-term care facilities and nursing homes,” said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a news conference.

The Prime Minister said the money is intended to address the needs of provinces and territories over the next 6 to 8 months. The funds need to be used for the priority areas and can’t be shifted around. Trudeau added that there will be required transparency around how the money is spent.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ottawa-pr...192812919.html