Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 21-12-2021, 19:42   #3376

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

I've given Nord the benefit of the doubt, but he (or she, or they, or it) has proven to be nothing but a troll. I'll be ignoring them now. And if we don't want this thread to be dragged down yet again, I suggest others do the same.
Old 21-12-2021, 20:23   #3377

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've given Nord the benefit of the doubt, but he (or she, or they, or it) has proven to be nothing but a troll. I'll be ignoring them now. And if we don't want this thread to be dragged down yet again, I suggest others do the same.
D'accord!
Old 22-12-2021, 01:19   #3378
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Don’t’s trust the science, scientists, experts, etc, when you have little knowledge or expertise on the subject.
Instead, trust some wacko internet troll, with wildly contrarian views.

Old 22-12-2021, 01:47   #3379
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

In the studies of Science and Philosophy, there are high standards of proofs, which are inherent within the deep understanding of that particular subject....

Some simply accept without question, others delve deeper to understand

In school, we all saw the differences amongst our classmates.

Those who went thru University simply to get a degree, tend to ignore details and play word games in order to further their careers

Those who went to Uni to learn their subject as deeply as they could, set a very high bar on qualifying statements and not over reaching their conclusions.

I do trust those kinds of individuals who have a proven passion for their studies.
Old 22-12-2021, 14:58   #3380

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
In the studies of Science and Philosophy, there are high standards of proofs, which are inherent within the deep understanding of that particular subject....

Some simply accept without question, others delve deeper to understand

In school, we all saw the differences amongst our classmates.

Those who went thru University simply to get a degree, tend to ignore details and play word games in order to further their careers

Those who went to Uni to learn their subject as deeply as they could, set a very high bar on qualifying statements and not over reaching their conclusions.

I do trust those kinds of individuals who have a proven passion for their studies.
Plus 1 and…..

When informed individuals say “trust the science “ they are saying trust the peer reviewed, work published in a respectable journal. Not an internet troll site……just saying, as a well published scientist.
Old 22-12-2021, 18:24   #3381

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Plus 1 and…..

When informed individuals say “trust the science “ they are saying trust the peer reviewed, work published in a respectable journal. Not an internet troll site……just saying, as a well published scientist.
Agree wholeheartedly. I am constantly amazed at how people latch onto bogus "science" ... social media version ... or papers that have not been peer reviewed. They're just reinforcing a purely political/ideological view when they do that imo.
Old 22-12-2021, 21:24   #3382

The thing some people don't seem to understand is that "science" is not a thing. It's not a "Gospel, or government, or corporation, or an expert." It is a process that allows us to delve into mysteries. And unlike other ways of knowing, it does it so despite our human flaws.

People who equate science to religion or government simply demonstrate that they don't understand what science actually is.

Like any process, it doesn't always proceed linearly. And human biases and flaws still raise their heads to throw progress off course. Sometimes we leap ahead. And sometimes we end up going in reverse. But the great thing about the process of science is that, unlike all other ways of knowing, it is a self-correcting method which eventually leads to greater understanding of reality.

Covid-19 has given all of us a front-row seat into the process of science. But some can't, or won't, understand how science works.
Old 22-12-2021, 22:26   #3383

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Science 101, have a new idea, design and carry out an experiment to illuminate the idea, have peers review your work, publish hurrah, or return to the idea and redesign the test……carry on
Old 23-12-2021, 07:57   #3384

Boat: J/88

So here is the short term future here for many people in Canada, particularly the people you will count on to get you food and other necessities of life. Last week I had two possible close contacts, neither of which proved to be positive and this week my production manager is in the same situation. With almost no exposures through the pandemic this feels like the big jump in cases and exposures we would expect from Omicron but just imagine how this will impact our world if all the people exposed are locked down for 10-14 days and unable to leave home. If one person tests positive at each grocery store we could see the stores having to shut down due to lack of available staff!
The only mitigating factor is that testing is taking so long that the possible exposures won't turn into close contacts very quickly. In my case, both the possible exposures became moot due to the 10 days expiring before the test results came back.

This could get ugly here from things other than sickness.
Old 23-12-2021, 08:13   #3385

Boat: Beneteau, 41ft monohul

WOW... is over 3300 posts, and counting, a record?
Old 23-12-2021, 08:16   #3386

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Don’t’s trust the science, scientists, experts, etc, when you have little knowledge or expertise on the subject.
Instead, trust some wacko internet troll, with wildly contrarian views.
I would say don't thrust any science that is not censored or is promoted as "all scientists agreed on this". [emoji12]
Old 23-12-2021, 09:24   #3387

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
So here is the short term future here for many people in Canada, particularly the people you will count on to get you food and other necessities of life. Last week I had two possible close contacts, neither of which proved to be positive and this week my production manager is in the same situation. With almost no exposures through the pandemic this feels like the big jump in cases and exposures we would expect from Omicron but just imagine how this will impact our world if all the people exposed are locked down for 10-14 days and unable to leave home. If one person tests positive at each grocery store we could see the stores having to shut down due to lack of available staff!
The only mitigating factor is that testing is taking so long that the possible exposures won't turn into close contacts very quickly. In my case, both the possible exposures became moot due to the 10 days expiring before the test results came back.

This could get ugly here from things other than sickness.
I read an article somewhere recently (can't put my hands on it right now), indicating that some authorities in Quebec were exploring the idea of allowing asymptomatic vaccinated people to continue to work even after testing positive.

This might become a necessity as cases rise everywhere. It might even be desirable IF hospitalizations don't rise as much. The data from South Africa continues to look good regarding low hospitalizations due to Omicron.
Old 23-12-2021, 09:48   #3388
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Who are these scientists that you guys trust so much? List them please. Where are these quality peer reviewed studies that you guys claim to exist? List them. You can't (or won't) do it! You guys are the echo chamber! Trust the science? Who's science? (Sounds more like a faith based religion) Name names please! I dare you to do some research on the subject.
Here are some "clips" from an interesting post marketing report. No one should trust these guys. They are convicted felons! No one is dying from these vaccines? (yeah right). They prevent infection and transmission? (not what the science says).

Quote:
Seriousness criteria for the total 138 cases: Medically significant (71, of which 8 also serious for
disability), Hospitalization required (non-fatal/non-life threatening) (16, of which 1 also serious for
disability), Life threatening (13, of which 7 were also serious for hospitalization), Death (38).
Age (n=132) ranged from 21 to 100 years (mean = 57.2 years, median = 59.5);
Case outcome: fatal (38), resolved/resolving (26), not resolved (65), resolved with sequelae (1), unknown
(8);
Of the 317 relevant events, the most frequently reported PTs (≥2%) were: Drug ineffective (135),
Dyspnoea (53), Diarrhoea (30), COVID-19 pneumonia (23), Vomiting (20), Respiratory failure (8), and
Seizure (7).
Conclusion: VAED may present as severe or unusual clinical manifestations of COVID-19. Overall, there
were 37 subjects with suspected COVID-19 and 101 subjects with confirmed COVID-19 following one
or both doses of the vaccine; 75 of the 101 cases were severe, resulting in hospitalisation, disability,
life-threatening consequences or death....
Pregnancy cases: 274 cases including:
• 270 mother cases and 4 foetus/baby cases representing 270 unique pregnancies (the 4
foetus/baby cases were linked to 3 mother cases; 1 mother case involved twins).
• Pregnancy outcomes for the 270 pregnancies were reported as spontaneous abortion (23),
outcome pending (5), premature birth with neonatal death, spontaneous abortion with
intrauterine death (2 each), spontaneous abortion with neonatal death, and normal outcome (1
each). No outcome was provided for 238 pregnancies (note that 2 different outcomes were
reported for each twin, and both were counted). ...
124 mother cases, 49 non-serious and 75 serious, reported clinical events, which occurred in
the vaccinated mothers. Pregnancy related events reported in these cases coded to the PTs
Abortion spontaneous (25), Uterine contraction during pregnancy, Premature rupture of
membranes, Abortion, Abortion missed, and Foetal death (1 each). Other clinical events which
occurred in more than 5 cases coded to the PTs Headache (33), Vaccination site pain (24),
Pain in extremity and Fatigue (22 each), Myalgia and Pyrexia (16 each), Chills (13) Nausea
(12), Pain (11), Arthralgia (9), Lymphadenopathy and Drug ineffective (7 each), Chest pain,
Dizziness and Asthenia (6 each), Malaise and COVID-19 (5 each). Trimester of exposure was
reported in 22 of these cases: 1st trimester (19 cases), 2nd trimester (1 case), 3rd trimester (2
cases).....
Cardiovascular AESIs
Search criteria: PTs Acute
myocardial infarction;
Arrhythmia; Cardiac failure;
Cardiac failure acute;
Cardiogenic shock; Coronary
artery disease; Myocardial
infarction; Postural orthostatic
tachycardia syndrome; Stress
cardiomyopathy; Tachycardia
• Number of cases: 1403 (3.3% of the total PM dataset), of which
241 are medically confirmed and 1162 are non-medically
confirmed;
• Country of incidence: UK (268), US (233), Mexico (196), Italy
(141), France (128), Germany (102), Spain (46), Greece (45),
Portugal (37), Sweden (20), Ireland (17), Poland (16), Israel (13),
Austria, Romania and Finland (12 each), Netherlands (11),
Belgium and Norway (10 each), Czech Republic (9), Hungary and
Canada (8 each), Croatia and Denmark (7 each), Iceland (5); the
remaining 30 cases were distributed among 13 other countries;
• Subjects’ gender: female (1076), male (291) and unknown (36);
• Subjects’ age group (n = 1346): Adultc (1078), Elderlyd (266)
Childe and Adolescentf (1 each);
• Number of relevant events: 1441, of which 946 serious, 495
non-serious; in the cases reporting relevant serious events;
• Reported relevant PTs: Tachycardia (1098), Arrhythmia (102),
Myocardial infarction (89), Cardiac failure (80), Acute myocardial
infarction (41), Cardiac failure acute (11), Cardiogenic shock and
Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (7 each) and Coronary
artery disease (6);
https://phmpt.org/wp-content/uploads...experience.pdf
You guys just repeat the same spiel over and over. (like an echo). Please don't bother responding. Sincerely TU.
Old 23-12-2021, 09:57   #3389

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I read an article somewhere recently (can't put my hands on it right now), indicating that some authorities in Quebec were exploring the idea of allowing asymptomatic vaccinated people to continue to work even after testing positive.

This might become a necessity as cases rise everywhere. It might even be desirable IF hospitalizations don't rise as much. The data from South Africa continues to look good regarding low hospitalizations due to Omicron.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8469378/o...tic-isolation/
Old 23-12-2021, 10:07   #3390

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Here is an interesting tool for estimating the risk of getting together with others over the holidays. It suggested a lower than I expected risk of spending a couple of hours with one family.
https://covidvisitrisk.com