Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 25-12-2021, 15:58   #3406

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Back to the thread's dismal topic, BC new case counts have skyrocketed to over 2400 on Friday. Oh how I wish for boating season to begin so we can escape ... rather than cleaning the snow off the boat
Old 26-12-2021, 03:49   #3407
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
..l. Been working from home for going on 18 months, [or am I living at work??? 1]. Hours of video conferences with personnel all over the world.

I tend to not opine, just post factual and hopefully helpful info.2

Regards,

Dan
1. Good question!
The benefits of our ability to easily connect, despite being separate, can also blur the line between what is work time, and what is not. This adds a whole new dimension to these challenges, and when at its worst, you can feel like you are ‘living at work’, rather than ‘working from home’.
A recent report [a] from DigitalOcean found that 82% of Americam employees who work remotely feel ‘burnt out’ – with a further 40% claiming they felt pressured into doing more work than in-office colleagues.
After all, when your office is your home, it’s incredibly difficult to get the find that balance of personal and professional time.

[a] “Helping Remote Developers Avoid Burnout” ~ by Debbie Chew, for DigitalOcean
https://www.digitalocean.com/blog/avoiding-burnout/

2. Good policy/habit!

Old 26-12-2021, 04:30   #3408
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Ontario reports more than 10K new COVID-19 cases for 1st time” ~ by Staff The Canadian Press [1]

Public Health Ontario says the province has recorded more than 10,000 new daily cases of COVID-19, for the first time.
The 10,412 diagnoses, reported on Christmas Day, surpass the previous record of 9,571, which was set Friday.
It's the third day in a row, the province has broken its record for daily case counts.
The rolling 7-day average, of new daily cases, now stands at 5,939, more than double that of last Saturday, which was 2,156.

The actual number of cases is likely far higher, than those reported each day, because many public health units have reached their testing capacity. [2]

[1]https://globalnews.ca/news/8474420/o...5-coronavirus/ https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-...port.pdf?la=en

[2] “Underreporting of COVID-19 Case Counts in the Context of the Omicron Variant”
https://www.publichealthontario.ca/e...micron-variant

Old 26-12-2021, 09:16   #3409

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
1. Good question!
The benefits of our ability to easily connect, despite being separate, can also blur the line between what is work time, and what is not. This adds a whole new dimension to these challenges, and when at its worst, you can feel like you are ‘living at work’, rather than ‘working from home’.
A recent report [a] from DigitalOcean found that 82% of Americam employees who work remotely feel ‘burnt out’ – with a further 40% claiming they felt pressured into doing more work than in-office colleagues.
After all, when your office is your home, it’s incredibly difficult to get the find that balance of personal and professional time.

[a] “Helping Remote Developers Avoid Burnout” ~ by Debbie Chew, for DigitalOcean
https://www.digitalocean.com/blog/avoiding-burnout/

2. Good policy/habit!
122%?

My daughter goes into her home office (it's a totally separate, dedicated, albeit small, room) at 9am, with standing orders to her family not to bother her unless the house is burning - and emerges for lunch and at 5pm precisely.

I couldn't do it.
Old 26-12-2021, 09:19   #3410

Boat: Rafiki 37

And Ontario hospitalizations are now on a steep rise. Have gone up nearly 25% in less than a week according to official stats.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data/hos...ndHospitalized
Old 26-12-2021, 09:29   #3411

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
1. Good question!
As a self-employed scribbler I spent my most of my professional life working from my home-office. It does require a different mindset, but if you do it for a while you learn to put boundaries around work time. It's not that hard, but the onus is purely on you. No one is there to tell you when to work, and when to play.
Old 26-12-2021, 09:49   #3412

I make my contact hours a term of all tenancy agreements these days. The law and regulations say that landlords must provide contact information. They don't say what your contact hours or means of contact should be, so mine are:

---------------------------------
In emergencies (such as leaks in plumbing) Dial (XXX) XXX-XXXX. Wait for the ring, then hang up. Repeat. Call again. I will answer on this third ring.

Do not text. Texts will not be answered. Ever.

All routine business: e-mail to xxxxxxx@xxx.ca. I will respond at first opportunity.

I check for e-mails as often as convenient during my work day (1000 - 1600) and answer them during those hours regardless of their time of arrival.
-----------------------------

Works for me, even when on the boat, tho obviously I recognize that it couldn't work for someone still plugged into the corporate world. Still, you've GOT to define the limits - otherwise you'd go nuts. HolyMotherNet becomes an all-consuming mistress if you forget how to say "NO!"

TP
Old 26-12-2021, 09:49   #3413

Oh Deer!

SARS-CoV-2 infection in free-ranging white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus)

Abstract
Human-to-animal spillover of SARS-CoV-2 virus has occurred in a wide range of animals, but thus far, the establishment of a new natural animal reservoir has not been detected. Here, we detected SARS-CoV-2 virus using rRT-PCR in 129 out of 360 (35.8%) free-ranging white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) from northeast Ohio (USA) sampled between January-March 2021. Deer in 6 locations were infected with at least 3 lineages of SARS-CoV-2 (B.1.2, B.1.596, B.1.582). The B.1.2 viruses, dominant in Ohio at the time, spilled over multiple times into deer populations in different locations. Deer-to-deer transmission may have occurred in three locations. The establishment of a natural reservoir of SARS-CoV-2 in white-tailed deer could facilitate divergent evolutionary trajectories and future spillback to humans, further complicating long-term COVID-19 control strategies.

One-Sentence Summary A significant proportion of SARS-CoV-2 infection in free-ranging US white-tailed deer reveals a potential new reservoir.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...11.04.467308v1
Old 26-12-2021, 10:33   #3414

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

"One-Sentence Summary A significant proportion of SARS-CoV-2 infection in free-ranging US white-tailed deer reveals a potential new reservoir."

That possibility was discussed briefly a few (?hundred) pages ago. More research seems to confirm. Denmark culled a few million mink, and BC has ordered our 4 mink farms to shut down and remove (kill) animals over what memory says is a fairly short time. There certainly won't be any massive deer culls, if it was even possible. As I said before they're more like community pets here on the Island ... treated like Bambi imo.
Old 26-12-2021, 12:21   #3415

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Perhaps I'm suffering from the optimism bias here, but I am pleased to note that while case counts are rising steeply in Canada (mostly in Quebec and Ontario), our hospitalizations are still declining ... at least so far:

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...ast7&map=pt#a7
I have the same bias. Gratifying to see the same patterns there as we experience in other parts of the world. Good luck!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 26-12-2021, 14:36   #3416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have the same bias. Gratifying to see the same patterns there as we experience in other parts of the world. Good luck!
Sadly, since my optimistic post Canada is now starting to see an increase in hospitalizations and ICU patients. It's a small, but still significant uptick so far, but it reverses a many-month trend.

Omicron seems to have flooded through Canada. Most provinces are now breaking records for cases, and hospitalizations are starting to follow. It's starting to look like the increased contagious factor is overwhelming the lower virulence factor -- at least up here where it's winter and everyone is indoors these days.

At this point, my hope bias is leaning on the data from South Africa which is showing a steep, narrow spike to their Omicron infection peak. Maybe this wave will be steep but thin, meaning it will pass quickly.

And on a personal note, I see Newfoundland is starting to lock down again, making it harder for me to visit my boat (not that I can anyway). And I've learned my winter cover was completely destroyed in a recent Atlantic storm .
Old 26-12-2021, 15:48   #3417

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike,
Who called you? Ivan?
Old 26-12-2021, 17:06   #3418

I've got mine, have you got yours?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pfizer loyalty card.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	250313  
Old 26-12-2021, 17:36   #3419

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

And on a personal note, I see Newfoundland is starting to lock down again, making it harder for me to visit my boat (not that I can anyway). And I've learned my winter cover was completely destroyed in a recent Atlantic storm .
Jeeze Mike that really sucks...
Old 26-12-2021, 19:38   #3420

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Mike,
Who called you? Ivan?
No, a new employee from the marina: Sheena. I'll PM you. I think I need more help than the marina staff is willing to provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Jeeze Mike that really sucks...
Agreed , although not unexpected I suppose. The cover has been up for 24/7 since September 2019. It was never designed for this kind of use, so I guess I can't complain too much. But I do fear for what we'll find come the Spring (assuming we can go to NL in the Spring).

Before and after pics... just for fun:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3353.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	250320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4672.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	250321