Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 27-12-2021, 03:01   #3421

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No, a new employee from the marina: Sheena. I'll PM you. I think I need more help than the marina staff is willing to provide.

Agreed , although not unexpected I suppose. The cover has been up for 24/7 since September 2019. It was never designed for this kind of use, so I guess I can't complain too much. But I do fear for what we'll find come the Spring (assuming we can go to NL in the Spring).

Before and after pics... just for fun:

Mike
From my personal experience here on GMI:
We have many 40-60 + kt days during Oct-Apr.These are cold,heavy,powerful winds- much more destructive than the same windspeeds in warm air.
It is impossible to keep tarp type/custom canvas covers from tearing. We have tried all types of frameworks,etc-none work.
Our only successful solutions so far have been:
Well done shrink wrap.
Stimson type building-well built & well anchored.
Move the boat inland to a forested "fir thicket" lea.

On a second note-our commercial boats are uncovered all winter,without damage.
This far north,in winter,we don't get the UV degradation amounts-short daylight.
As long as there are no pooling/leaking pockets for freshwater,expansion splitting due to freezing trapped water doesn't happen. Freezing of open water doesn't usually cause damage.
Snow filling the cockpit & turning to slush by the inevitable following rainstorm and then re-freezing can cause damage over time. The added weight can be harmful to wooden boats,especially. Extra blocking/posting under this area is good practice for an out of water stored boat.
Shovelling the cockpit snow is good,or tent covering just the cockpit is good.
I am in no way suggesting that a nicely varnished.painted & polished yacht should be left uncovered. I am just pointing out that one winter uncovered is not likely to cause any problems.
Cheers/Len
Old 27-12-2021, 09:20   #3422

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
The thing some people don't seem to understand is that "science" is not a thing. It's not a "Gospel, or government, or corporation, or an expert." It is a process that allows us to delve into mysteries. And unlike other ways of knowing, it does it so despite our human flaws.

People who equate science to religion or government simply demonstrate that they don't understand what science actually is.

Like any process, it doesn't always proceed linearly. And human biases and flaws still raise their heads to throw progress off course. Sometimes we leap ahead. And sometimes we end up going in reverse. But the great thing about the process of science is that, unlike all other ways of knowing, it is a self-correcting method which eventually leads to greater understanding of reality.

Covid-19 has given all of us a front-row seat into the process of science. But some can't, or won't, understand how science works.
Really? So you think opposition to these mRNA vaccines stems simply from stupid, uneducated people misunderstanding what science is?

Why don't you have a look at this 38 minute video powerpoint presentation from the Canadiancovidcarealliance.org and tell us where they get the science wrong?

https://rumble.com/vqx3kb-the-pfizer...than-good.html
Old 27-12-2021, 09:28   #3423

Boat: Hunter 386

I usually ignore you but I will make an exception and answer, and assume I speak for a bunch of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Really? So you think opposition to these mRNA vaccines stems simply from stupid, uneducated people misunderstanding what science is?
Yes.

The rest is purely my opinion:

Quote:
Why don't you have a look at this 38 minute video powerpoint presentation from the Canadiancovidcarealliance.org and tell us where they get the science wrong?

https://rumble.com/vqx3kb-the-pfizer...than-good.html
Rumble.com... very science-ey. Yup. OMFG...
And really, Canadiancovidcarealliance.org? Why would anyone in their right mind and with even the slightest bit internet-savvy click on a link with a "click-bait" domain like that? Do you even understand the argument being presented that legitimate, reliable and reviewed sites are the only places we should be getting our information?
Old 27-12-2021, 09:39   #3424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I usually ignore you but I will make an exception and answer, and assume I speak for a bunch of us.

Yes.

The rest is purely my opinion:

And really, Canadiancovidcarealliance.org? Why would anyone in their right mind and with even the slightest bit internet-savvy click on a link with a "click-bait" domain like that? Do you even understand the argument being presented that legitimate, reliable and reviewed sites are the only places we should be getting our information?
How about we skip the bullcrap about the source and just comment on the veracity of the information in the presentation itself.
Old 27-12-2021, 09:41   #3425
cruiser

Regarding this "Covid Care Alliance":

I'm sorry but to me - to me - this appears just outdated, well-produced, highly parsed and mispresented anti-vaxx presentation. Their website is not secure, and rather than ANY vaccine, promotes ivermectin, mouthwash, aspirin, vitamin D, et al as preventative.

I would be interested in what group financed this production.

Sadly, there remains a large group of people who have been heavily influenced in this fashion, and who remain unvaccinated, thus becoming an effective human vector of transmission, not to mention filling up our hospitals when the mouthwash doesn't work, and thus denying other important medical care to the public at large.

Linked at this dubious site:

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-c...ol-ENGLISH.pdf
Old 27-12-2021, 09:46   #3426

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
How about we skip the bullcrap about the source and just comment on the veracity of the information in the presentation itself.
Or I could pour boiling vinegar in my eyes? Hmmm, choices, choices, choices...
Old 27-12-2021, 09:47   #3427

So who, precisely, IS this lot: Canadiancovidcarealliance?

Perhaps, if you were to link to the CVs and present employment of the principal driving forces behind this "alliance", your post might carry more weight.

Sculling around on the organization's site I note that it bears a remarkable resemblance to, say, The Canadian Taxpayers' Federation, an organization that is notoriously connected with and funded by such stalwart guardians of the welfare of the Common Man as Charlie and Dave (Koch) and their Atlas Network - ever on guard, they are, against encroachment upon the God-given territory of the 1% by the benighted 99%.

One of the things too few Canadians seem able to guard against, or even to smell when it is stuck right under their noses, is what is so politely called "cultural diffusion". Pray that that may change!

All the best for the new year :-)!

TrentePieds
Old 27-12-2021, 11:06   #3428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippee View Post
Regarding this "Covid Care Alliance":

I'm sorry but to me - to me - this appears just outdated, well-produced, highly parsed and mispresented anti-vaxx presentation. Their website is not secure, and rather than ANY vaccine, promotes ivermectin, mouthwash, aspirin, vitamin D, et al as preventative.

I would be interested in what group financed this production.

Sadly, there remains a large group of people who have been heavily influenced in this fashion, and who remain unvaccinated, thus becoming an effective human vector of transmission, not to mention filling up our hospitals when the mouthwash doesn't work, and thus denying other important medical care to the public at large.

Linked at this dubious site:

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-c...ol-ENGLISH.pdf
Bravo, I presume to make that statement you must have at least watched some of that presentation. What exactly did you consider to be "misrepresented" ?
Old 27-12-2021, 11:17   #3429

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Actually, this post you refer to proves my point rather well. Some people simply don't understand what science actually is, or how it works. That doesn't make them stupid, although it does mean they are ignorant (uneducated, without suggesting official academia is the only way to be educated) in this regard.
Old 27-12-2021, 12:52   #3430

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
No, a new employee from the marina: Sheena. I'll PM you. I think I need more help than the marina staff is willing to provide.

Agreed , although not unexpected I suppose. The cover has been up for 24/7 since September 2019. It was never designed for this kind of use, so I guess I can't complain too much. But I do fear for what we'll find come the Spring (assuming we can go to NL in the Spring).

Before and after pics... just for fun:

Oh no! She's a beauty still. A bit of polish and varnish in spring and she'll be as good as new.
Old 27-12-2021, 13:48   #3431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Oh no! She's a beauty still. A bit of polish and varnish in spring and she'll be as good as new.

Thanks TP. She's a tough old boat. And she is a beauty (from a distance, anyway ). I just worry about the teak deck and all those freeze-thaw cycles. She'll survive though. Just might mean our first season is a recovery one.
Old 27-12-2021, 15:01   #3432

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Can someone recover for you? Or at least tarp the foredeck! Wish I could help.
Old 27-12-2021, 19:54   #3433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Can someone recover for you? Or at least tarp the foredeck! Wish I could help.
Very much appreciate the kind words. I have no doubt you would help if you could.

The marina has been less than helpful, but thanks to Hpeer, a fellow Lewisporte member and CFer (hope you don't mind me saying so Howard), I have a good line on some local assistance.

As I say, she'll survive. It's just a question of what level of recovery I'll face in the Spring. And in the end, it's only a boat. If it all falls to ruin, I'll find another way.
Old 28-12-2021, 03:36   #3434
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
So who, precisely, IS this lot: Canadiancovidcarealliance? ...
According to Dunn & Bradstreet:
Canadian Covid Care Alliance, is a business, Incorporated 23 April 2021, is located in Toronto, ON, Canada, and is part of the Health and Personal Care Stores Industry. Canadian Covid Care Alliance has 2 total employees across all of its locations, and generates $651,200 in sales.

Directors
Steven Pelech
Karen Levins
David Ross

Related companies (By Officers)

Steven Pelech
David Ross

Old 28-12-2021, 06:52   #3435

Here's a longish essay giving a much wider perspective on the pandemic from Canadian Anthropologist Maximilian Forte of Concordia U. in Montreal.

That's if anyone still reads longish essays these days.

Trigger warning: his perspective is not particularly aligned with yours here.

https://zeroanthropology.net/2021/12...ent-emergency/