Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 16-07-2020, 15:20   #331

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

18 International and 14 Domestic Flights in Canada Carried Covid-19 Positive Passengers Since 1st July. Check Full List

https://www.rateacabincrew.com/blog/...heck-full-list
Old 17-07-2020, 11:30   #332

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is kinda funny given the number of Alberta license plates I'm seeing on Ontario highways so far. Waayy more than from other provinces, even though we're physically closer to Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

If it calms your fear response, we're going to our extended family's home.
That's kinda funny. We went to jasper for a couple days(abouta 3 hour drive from our house) I saw a few bc plates, but lots of Ontario plates. So it goes both ways.
If you make it this far Mike, Edmonton area, I'm happy to buy you a beer or recomend some sights. After the drive thru manatoba and especially Saskatchewan, you will be wanting some change of scenery[emoji39]
Old 17-07-2020, 12:00   #333

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We live on board in Blaine, WA

You know about a month ago when this was written I saw a bit of defiance regarding face masks. Now everyone has one on. I think no matter what your position, when a town is economically dying due to the border closure, everyone puts rhetoric aside and looks at the closed businesses and the empty streets and decides "we all must be on the same page or this town will disappear".

Admittedly, it's a town that seems to be comfortable with the boom/bust cycle. From reading it's history that's been a repeating pattern, but now I see fear on the faces on Peace Portal Drive (our Main Street)

https://www.northdeltareporter.com/n...n-blaine-wash/
Old 17-07-2020, 13:32   #334

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
That's kinda funny. We went to jasper for a couple days(abouta 3 hour drive from our house) I saw a few bc plates, but lots of Ontario plates. So it goes both ways.
If you make it this far Mike, Edmonton area, I'm happy to buy you a beer or recomend some sights. After the drive thru manatoba and especially Saskatchewan, you will be wanting some change of scenery[emoji39]
Thanks Chris, I'd appreciate that very much. We're heading for Calgary, and points south, but you never know where our little motorcycles will take us.

Hope no one thinks I was being snarky about the AB license plates. Personally, I think it's fine -- good even. I believe in the infection controls we've enacted here in Canada, and I'm happy to see all our numbers trending in the right direction. I think Canadians can rightly be proud of how well we're doing, and should also be able to reap the rewards. One of those rewards is cautiously opening up national travel.

For some this will be a summer to rediscover what a vast and wonderful country we have right here. No need to go to foreign lands. Get in the car and drive -- just don't forget to bring your mask and your hand sanitizer .
Old 17-07-2020, 14:05   #335

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks Chris, I'd appreciate that very much. We're heading for Calgary, and points south, but you never know where our little motorcycles will take us.

Hope no one thinks I was being snarky about the AB license plates. Personally, I think it's fine -- good even. I believe in the infection controls we've enacted here in Canada, and I'm happy to see all our numbers trending in the right direction. I think Canadians can rightly be proud of how well we're doing, and should also be able to reap the rewards. One of those rewards is cautiously opening up national travel.

For some this will be a summer to rediscover what a vast and wonderful country we have right here. No need to go to foreign lands. Get in the car and drive -- just don't forget to bring your mask and your hand sanitizer [emoji2].
All good, I feel the same way. If I still had my suzuki Boulevard, I would even offer to ride with you!
Enjoy the trip and keep me in mind if you get anywhere close. We actually are planning to drive down to Calgary in the next couple weeks also.
Old 17-07-2020, 16:51   #336

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

This is the latest regarding the BC part of the Salish Sea and, as a Vancouver Islander, I find it very disrespectful of those boaters to take advantage of our countries' usually close relationship. Most of us are prepared to immediately report a US flagged vessel to Canadian Border Services - imo it's not the time for "unnecessary" international travel !!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ters-1.5653722
Old 17-07-2020, 17:07   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
This is the latest regarding the BC part of the Salish Sea and, as a Vancouver Islander, I find it very disrespectful of those boaters to take advantage of our countries' usually close relationship. Most of us are prepared to immediately report a US flagged vessel to Canadian Border Services - imo it's not the time for "unnecessary" international travel !!

It's a disgrace.

Our relationship has been taken advantage of for the last few years. Existing trade relationships have been cancelled because we are a security risk yet they feel free to break our rules at their leisure in a time of pandemic?

These criminals need to be subjected to the harshest penalties we have under the quarantine act;

Quote:
Maximum penalties include a fine of up to $750,000 and/or imprisonment for six months. Further, a person who causes a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person while wilfully or recklessly contravening this Act or the regulations could be liable for a fine of up to $1,000,000 or to imprisonment of up to three years, or to both.

It wouldn't take too many examples for this nonsense to be made to stop.

Quote:
When they send their people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
Old 17-07-2020, 17:31   #338

over here in the UK, one sailor went on a 3500 nm jolly to avoid the virus , he sailed up the east coast of the UK , circled over the shetland isles and sailed down to the azores ,cirlced the azores and headed back to the uk

his blog makes for a good read www.oldmansailing.com
Old 17-07-2020, 20:23   #339

Coronavirus: Majority of Canadians want U.S. border closed until end of 2020, Ipsos poll shows

Old 18-07-2020, 07:59   #340

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post

Quote:
Failing to report is a serious offence, she says, that is subject to prosecution, while disobeying the current border restrictions under the Quarantine Act could lead to monetary fines and imprisonment.
We were talking about it last night and speculating what the average US CBP agent would do to you for this kind of illegal behavior — those guys scare me, even before 9/11.

I have heard from a few Alberta friends who are now heading to their boats in BC in the next week. Be interested to hear if their reception is at all chilly.
Old 18-07-2020, 10:08   #341

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
We were talking about it last night and speculating what the average US CBP agent would do to you for this kind of illegal behavior — those guys scare me, even before 9/11.
This is how the USA treats unauthorised border crossings from BC to Washington ... and that was in a good year!!!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...eeks-1.4717060

Quote:
I have heard from a few Alberta friends who are now heading to their boats in BC in the next week. Be interested to hear if their reception is at all chilly.
I would be interested to hear if they have any issues, I'm thinking of heading out to my boat soon. If not, Mike/Mac drop me a line if/when you get to Calgary and we can at least talk about our boats over a drink somewhere.
Old 18-07-2020, 10:37   #342

Federal government order supplies to give two doses of COVID-19 vaccine when it's ready

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fed...cine-1.5654801
Old 18-07-2020, 11:48   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I would be interested to hear if they have any issues, I'm thinking of heading out to my boat soon. If not, Mike/Mac drop me a line if/when you get to Calgary and we can at least talk about our boats over a drink somewhere.

Sounds like a good plan. Not sure when I'll arrive. We're currently delayed by weather -- feels just like sailing [emoji6].
Old 18-07-2020, 14:49   #344
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
This is how the USA treats unauthorised border crossings from BC to Washington ... and that was in a good year!!!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...eeks-1.4717060

Thanks for sharing that border crossing story.

It is no secret that the US security mindset is far more aggressive than the Canadian one.

I know that patch of beach very well as I used to regularly park on the Canadian side with my girlfriend in the late 60‘s

After dark we would often see US draft dodgers crossing into Canada to keep out of Vietnam.
Helped a few and have always wondered how they made out?
Old 18-07-2020, 17:31   #345

Canada will not allow the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team to play in Toronto due to the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a statement from the Canadian Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship.

While the Blue Jays were allowed to hold preseason training in Toronto because there would be no cross-border travel for either the Blue Jays outside of Canada or any opponent team into Canada for the duration of preseason training, the Canadian government determined that "the cross-border travel required for MLB regular season play would not adequately protect Canadians' health and safety" and the team would be required to play in locations where the risk of Covid-19 transmission remains high.