Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 29-12-2021, 12:59   #3451
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
Bit of a tangent, but the documentary, The Great Hack, is a real eye opener regarding how large groups of people can be manipulated in these modern Internet times.
The Great Hack is a 2019 Netflix documentary, about the Facebook–Cambridge Analytica data scandal.
The Great Hack [1:25:31] ➥ https://youtu.be/y26NQdTLtaw

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80117542

Old 29-12-2021, 16:14   #3452

Boat: Rafiki 37

Vaccination continues to show high efficacy against severe infection, IOW disease. Even two-dose vaccination is highly protective.
Old 29-12-2021, 16:34   #3453

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Vaccination continues to show high efficacy against severe infection, IOW disease. Even two-dose vaccination is highly protective.

I'm certainly glad to hear THAT! From you!
Old 29-12-2021, 16:38   #3454

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:

What about two doses and COVID? That should be worth something?

I just wanna know when I can go to Canada and eat. Not that it matters for the next five months.
Old 29-12-2021, 19:46   #3455

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I'm certainly glad to hear THAT! From you!
Yes, I continue to lean to optimism on this whole Omicron variant. It may be a biased view, but I think there is reason to expect this will be a steep, but short bump. And that hospitalizations will not come close to overwhelming the system, as it nearly did with Delta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
What about two doses and COVID? That should be worth something?
Yes, I would love to see data on this as well. It's clear that prior exposure (followed by recovery) leads to significant protection as well. The challenge remains how to quantify this in a meaningful way. We know that natural immunity has a far greater range of efficacy than vaccine induced. So it really depends on exposure, and on the host's personal immune response.

There's excellent research indicating natural immunity, combined with vaccine-induced immunity, can produce so-called "super-immune" individuals. But compared to vaccine-induced immunity, it remains a crap-shoot. Which is why vaccines remain the single best approach.

Quote:
I just wanna know when I can go to Canada and eat. Not that it matters for the next five months.
And I just wanna hope I can travel to Newfoundland in the Spring. Maybe we could combine both our "wannas," and meet on Th Rock for some fish & brewis or a plate of cods tongue.
Old 29-12-2021, 20:57   #3456

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Yes, I continue to lean to optimism on this whole Omicron variant. It may be a biased view, but I think there is reason to expect this will be a steep, but short bump. And that hospitalizations will not come close to overwhelming the system, as it nearly did with Delta.

Yes, I would love to see data on this as well. It's clear that prior exposure (followed by recovery) leads to significant protection as well. The challenge remains how to quantify this in a meaningful way. We know that natural immunity has a far greater range of efficacy than vaccine induced. So it really depends on exposure, and on the host's personal immune response.

There's excellent research indicating natural immunity, combined with vaccine-induced immunity, can produce so-called "super-immune" individuals. But compared to vaccine-induced immunity, it remains a crap-shoot. Which is why vaccines remain the single best approach.

And I just wanna hope I can travel to Newfoundland in the Spring. Maybe we could combine both our "wannas," and meet on Th Rock for some fish & brewis or a plate of cods tongue.
I'm with you on that, I have a few friends to visit with, now that we are all retired.
My old neighbour for one, he moved to the rock last summer.
Old 30-12-2021, 02:29   #3457
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What about two doses and COVID? That should be worth something? ...
Indeed, it may be worth "something" - perhaps a lot.

According to the CDC [1], Gavi, and WHO [and others], even if you have recovered from COVID-19, you can still benefit from vaccination.

The protection that someone gains from having COVID-19 will vary greatly, from person to person. The immunity people get from being vaccinated, after having a natural infection, is consistently very strong. Getting vaccinated even if you have had COVID-19 means you are more likely to be protected, for longer.

There is evidence [2] in hospitalised patients that the infection was so overwhelming that the immune response became exhausted, and so immune memory to the virus was not created efficiently.
Also, if you had a very mild infection, your immune system may not have reached the point of laying down immune memory.
So, vaccination could be beneficial, regardless of whether you experienced severe or mild disease.

[1] “SARS-CoV-2 Infection-induced and Vaccine-induced Immunity” ~ CDC Updated Oct. 29, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019..._1635540493225

[2] “Reduction and Functional Exhaustion of T Cells in Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)” ~ by Bo Diao et al
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32425950/

"Protective immunity after recovery from SARS-CoV-2 infection" ~ by Noah Kojima, and Jeffrey D Klausner November 08, 2021
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...676-9/fulltext

“Lasting immunity found after recovery from COVID-19"
~ NIH
- The immune systems of more than 95% of people who recovered from COVID-19 had durable memories of the virus up to eight months after infection.
- The results provide hope that people receiving SARS-CoV-2 vaccines will develop similar lasting immune memories after vaccination.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...overy-covid-19

“Immunological memory to SARS-CoV-2 assessed for up to 8 months after infection” ~ by Jennifer M Dan et al
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33408181/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33442687/

Old 30-12-2021, 03:08   #3458
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Relative to my previous post:

Old 30-12-2021, 03:56   #3459

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Relative to my previous post:
You read my mind.
Old 30-12-2021, 08:47   #3460

From the New York Times Thursday, December 30, 2021 5:42 AM EST:
Johnson & Johnson’s booster shot offered strong protection against Omicron and reduced the risk of hospitalization, a clinical trial found.

Two shots of the vaccine reduced the risk of hospitalization from the fast-spreading coronavirusvariant by 85 percent, the study showed.
Old 30-12-2021, 08:55   #3461

Again from the New York Times Thursday, December 30, 2021 (Sorry about the formatting. I tried to straighten it out):

The F.D.A. is expected on Monday to allow boosters of Pfizer’s vaccine for 12- to 15-year-olds, according to those familiar with the plan.

Regulators also plan to allow both adolescents and adults to seek an extra shot of Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine five months after receiving a second dose instead of the current period of six months. A booster shot is also expected to be authorized for younger children, ages 5 to 11, with immune deficiencies.
Old 30-12-2021, 09:12   #3462

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Boosters are on winter sale now, take two, get one free.
Up to 90% reduction of efficacy, get yours now!

Stock clearance for the new 2022 collection. [emoji106][emoji1787][emoji28][emoji1787]
Old 30-12-2021, 09:28   #3463

Boat: Sceptre 41

Are triple-vaccinated people more likely to be infected by the Omicron variant than the unvaccinated? No.

But that is the message television viewers in France apparently got from an interview with Dr. Martin Blachier.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...t-unvaccinated

The important question, however, is not the relative Omicron/Delta distribution among the vaccinated versus the unvaccinated, but the rate of infection among the triple vaccinated versus the unvaccinated no matter whether the infection is due to Omicron or Delta. The Danish data show that infections are about four times more prevalent among the unvaccinated.

Another article concerning this issue with same conclusion:
https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2T81PO
Old 30-12-2021, 09:45   #3464

Boat: Sceptre 41

Ontario stats Dec 28: Unvaccinated vs Vaccinated RATES

Clearly show rates of infection and especially rates of hospitalization and ICU higher in the unvaccinated.
https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/ontario-dashboard/Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20211230-094213_Firefox.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	250526
Old 30-12-2021, 10:01   #3465
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
From the New York Times Thursday, December 30, 2021 5:42 AM EST:
Johnson & Johnson’s booster shot offered strong protection against Omicron and reduced the risk of hospitalization, a clinical trial found.

Two shots of the vaccine reduced the risk of hospitalization from the fast-spreading coronavirusvariant by 85 percent, the study showed.
According to Johnson & Johnson [1], two reports [2], released Thursday, show that people who get booster doses of Johnson & Johnson's Janssen vaccine are well protected against severe disease and hospitalization, from the Omicron variant of coronavirus.

[1]“Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Demonstrates 85 Percent Effectiveness against Hospitalization in South Africa when Omicron was Dominant”
Separate analysis showed Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine booster generated 41-fold increase in neutralizing antibodies and a 5-fold increase in T-cells against Omicron
https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-...n-was-dominant

[2a] “Effectiveness of BNT162b2 Vaccine against Omicron Variant in South Africa”
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...ed_coronavirus

[2b] “Vaccine effectiveness against hospital admission in South African health care workers who received a homologous booster of Ad26.COV2 during an Omicron COVID19 wave: Preliminary Results of the Sisonke 2 Study”
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....28.21268436v1