Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-07-2020, 08:27   #346

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post

I would be interested to hear if they have any issues, I'm thinking of heading out to my boat soon. If not, Mike/Mac drop me a line if/when you get to Calgary and we can at least talk about our boats over a drink somewhere.
I am also in Calgary. I can listen to you guys talk about your boats.
Old 19-07-2020, 08:31   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post

I have heard from a few Alberta friends who are now heading to their boats in BC in the next week. Be interested to hear if their reception is at all chilly.
A friend from Calgary is on his boat on the Island. He has expressed no issues. I have two gigs out of Comox next month.
Old 19-07-2020, 13:02   #348

Leaky border: Tourists and quarantine cheats threaten Canada amid U.S. COVID-19 surge.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/leaky-bor...170335249.html

For 67 days, tiny Prince Edward Island went without a single new case of COVID-19. That changed earlier this month when Canada's smallest province, best known as the home of fiction's Anne of Green Gables, announced a cluster of new cases linked to a foreign student who entered Canada from the United States.

The man, who did not immediately self-isolate upon arrival in Canada as required by law, infected at least one person, who then infected at least four more.

"With tens of thousands of people crossing the border every day, there's no way to enforce that" they follow the rules, said Colin Furness, an epidemiologist and assistant professor at the University of Toronto. "It's a little bit scary." . . .
Old 19-07-2020, 13:06   #349

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
A friend from Calgary is on his boat on the Island. He has expressed no issues. I have two gigs out of Comox next month.
That's good to hear I guess I should start making plans to go west ... we may have to have that drink out on the Island somewhere.
Old 19-07-2020, 16:34   #350

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I am also in Calgary. I can listen to you guys talk about your boats.

This is starting to sound like a real CF-Alberta party. Maybe we can actually makes something happen..
Old 19-07-2020, 17:37   #351

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is starting to sound like a real CF-Alberta party. Maybe we can actually makes something happen..
[emoji106][emoji482]
Old 19-07-2020, 22:01   #352

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
That's kinda funny. We went to jasper for a couple days(abouta 3 hour drive from our house) I saw a few bc plates, but lots of Ontario plates. So it goes both ways.
If you make it this far Mike, Edmonton area, I'm happy to buy you a beer or recomend some sights. After the drive thru manatoba and especially Saskatchewan, you will be wanting some change of scenery[emoji39]

Wait you said Saskatchewan and scenery in the same sentence, that doesn’t make sense.
Old 20-07-2020, 04:19   #353

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Covid 19 groupthink

https://off-guardian.org/2020/07/18/...19-groupthink/

Quote:
I never thought I’d see the day when publicly wearing a muzzle would constitute a proof of virtue in the same country whose government, less than twenty years ago, rationalized the bloody invasion of Afghanistan as a way of saving women from veiling their faces.
i anyone going to intelligently respond to the article, or will we just play shoot the messenger, to show how smart we are?
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 20-07-2020, 04:36   #354

Boat: C+C Landfall 38
Re: Covid 19 groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post

i anyone going to intelligently respond to the article, or will we just play shoot the messenger, to show how smart we are?
interesting, thought provoking article...scary though eh? How fear leads to such irrational behaviour that lacks any sort of critical thinking...
for example: I have to wear a mask to walk into a fast food shop, but i can sit down, eat said fast food and NOT wear the mask...as long as i put the mask back ON when i leave....
another example:
while theme parks can open SCREAMING ON THE ROLLER COASTER IS NOT ALLOWED!!!!. sigh.
The world has gone mad....busy grasping at the saving grace of the mask while the real culprit lurks beyond...
Old 20-07-2020, 05:42   #355
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

well actually isolation is the only thing that really works effectively,no human contact=no virus transmission..

unfortunatly isolation is really bad for the economy,no economy=no food on the table.

so lets try the next best thing,whilst still being able to put food on the table= we ALL wear a mask to prevent at least half of the transmission from infected people who don't want to isolate or are unaware they are spreading this virus,beats isolation,and maybe we get to eat,keep our jobs and old folk don't die in droves.

Oh and we did not go to Afganistan to stop women wearing face veils,it was to police the drug lords.
Old 20-07-2020, 06:38   #356

Encouraging results for a therapeutic. One of the reasons to slow the rate of transmission is to provide time for the development of improved therapeutic protocols and products so as to reduce the degree of severe illness and death.

Synairgen's SNG001 shows strong promise in COVID-19 trial - PharmaTimes

Southampton, UK-based Synairgen has announced positive results from a clinical trial of SNG001, its wholly-owned inhaled formulation of interferon beta, in hospitalised COVID-19 patients.

The risk of developing severe disease (requiring ventilation or resulting in death) during the treatment period (day one to day 16) was significantly cut by 79% for patients receiving SNG001 compared to patients who received placebo.
Old 20-07-2020, 07:31   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Wait you said Saskatchewan and scenery in the same sentence, that doesn’t make sense.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Three Must-do Scenic Drives in Southern Saskatchewan

https://photojourneys.ca/2018/05/17/...20Grand%20Tour

So instead of just passing through on the Réseau routier national / TransCanada perhaps take a swing through some of the less traveled backroads. In order to truly appreciate the mountains one needs to have experience with the great prairie lands so as to respect and admire the diversity of landscapes.

Never been to Saskatchewan, heck I even had trouble spelling it just now, but there are always hidden gems to be found, if you are willing to explore for them. I suspect it looks a lot like eastern Montaña and NoDak.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 20-07-2020, 07:46   #358

Quote:

is anyone going to intelligently respond to the article, or will we just play shoot the messenger, to show how smart we are?
Sure.

First, it's not an article, it's a piece of opinion. As such, it's chock-full of flags and signals (eg "muzzle", absurd attacks on a caricature of mainstream media, a desultory swipe at Bill Gates), making it pretty clear how far out of reality the author stands.

Re masks - at no time does the author even mention WHY simple cloth or surgical masks are now being recommended (reduction of virus from the unknowingly infected when they're out in public), and why masks were initially not recommended for general use (shortage of N95 masks that would actually protect the wearer, lower protection from untrained use, no substitute for social distancing or isolation).

And of course the failure to accept that COVID-19 IS a serious problem that needs to be managed. Sneering at testing, and a probably deliberate misunderstanding of the point of testing:
Quote:
... a massive increase in COVID19 tests – primarily among people between 20 and 40 years of age who are subjected to swabbing because their employers demand it, not because they’re in any danger
etc

So, basically, this op-ed sums up the defiant attitude of COVID-19 deniers, and hasn't offered any new insights.
Old 20-07-2020, 10:32   #359

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Peer-reviewed study came out last week that shows the SARS-CoV-2 viral tests being used by CDC are returning ~30% false positives and ~20% false negatives. I remember my wife saying two weeks ago when we got tested, "I wonder how they got authorization to do this without the samples being cultured and DNA sequenced?"

Well, turns out she was right. There is no FDA-approved test since they were all authorized under the EUA. Some were initially contaminated. The current ones are only roughly 50% accurate:
http://www.dnalymetest.com/images/IJ...SCoV2_test.pdf

CDC updated its information on testing:
To decrease the possibility of a false-positive result, testing should be limited to patients with a high index of suspicion for having SARS-CoV disease. For information on the indications for SARS-CoV testing, see Clinical Guidance on the Identification and Evaluation of Possible SARS-CoV Disease among Persons Presenting with Community-Acquired Illness.
https://www.cdc.gov/sars/guidance/f-lab/assays.html

Nothing to do with Canada, really. But it does in a round-about way since it's pretty hard to rely on science when science is using flawed methodology to rush it out the door. Also kinda blows my theory on using viral testing for opening borders when the tests themselves are not proven accurate.

Note: if interested in researching what CDC recommends, you have to go thru the archived clinical guidance to the links with the revised information for clinical laboratory testing methods being used.
Old 20-07-2020, 11:58   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Nothing to do with Canada, really.

Exactly, so why do you keep posting things of that nature here?