Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2022, 11:14   #3601
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
In other news, I came across this:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cloth-f...on-11640984082

I've said all along that I thought masks (as mandated) were a waste of time—I advocated keeping my distance and staying home instead—which is what I have done for two years...aaargh... Anyway, I feel for the students and office workers who have to daily go to spaces that force close proximity. Because this indicates the mask just don't cut it for any prolonged length of time and I don't see a future that has free N95 for all—especially not here in Alberta

Greece now mandate N95 FFP2 masks
Old 09-01-2022, 11:16   #3602
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I don' think we should over-generalize here. We have friends who are doctors in New Jersey (orthopedic surgeon and radiologist). They bought a new Hylas 54 several years ago. I can assure you that Canadian docs are not buying US$1.5 million+ boats. And I am not a doctor or in healthcare btw.

Here a consultant ( 15 years experience) is on about € 300k public contract , ( private incomes are even more ) yet a sought after software engineer with similar experience is about €125k.
Old 09-01-2022, 19:12   #3603

Well I hope we don't end up blaming Mickey?

Evidence for a mouse origin of the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...12.14.472632v1

ABSTRACT
The rapid accumulation of mutations in the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant that enabled its outbreak raises questions as to whether its proximal origin occurred in humans or another mammalian host. Here, we identified 45 point mutations that Omicron acquired since divergence from the B.1.1 lineage. We found that the Omicron spike protein sequence was subjected to stronger positive selection than that of any reported SARS-CoV-2 variants known to evolve persistently in human hosts, suggesting the possibility of host-jumping. The molecular spectrum (i.e., the relative frequency of the twelve types of base substitutions) of mutations acquired by the progenitor of Omicron was significantly different from the spectrum for viruses that evolved in human patients, but was highly consistent with spectra associated with evolution in a mouse cellular environment. Furthermore, mutations in the Omicron spike protein significantly overlapped with SARS-CoV-2 mutations known to promote adaptation to mouse hosts, particularly through enhanced spike protein binding affinity for the mouse cell entry receptor.

Collectively, our results suggest that the progenitor of Omicron jumped from humans to mice, rapidly accumulated mutations conducive to infecting that host, then jumped back into humans, indicating an inter-species evolutionary trajectory for the Omicron outbreak.
Old 09-01-2022, 20:29   #3604
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Collectively, our results suggest that the progenitor of Omicron jumped from humans to mice, rapidly accumulated mutations conducive to infecting that host, then jumped back into humans, indicating an inter-species evolutionary trajectory for the Omicron outbreak.
Quite depressing that Omicron may actually continue to evolve inter-species to more deadlier variants.

In keeping with the Canadian theme, LC describes this phase best

https://youtu.be/AhVW0vMljP8Click image for larger version

Name:	20220110_073626.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	250989
Old 10-01-2022, 04:49   #3605
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ottawa's 180-degree turn on mandatory vaccination
“Last week, Minister of Health Jean-Yves Duclos suggested [1] for the first time that mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations could be coming to Canada . Duclos did not go into detail about how it would be enforced ...
... f implemented, mandatory vaccination would mark the first time during the COVID-19 pandemic that Canada has pursued a public health measure without any precedent in prior disease outbreaks ...”

More ➥ https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ry-vaccination
[1] https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...ming-to-canada

Old 10-01-2022, 06:36   #3606

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Ottawa's 180-degree turn on mandatory vaccination
“Last week, Minister of Health Jean-Yves Duclos suggested [1] for the first time that mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations could be coming to Canada . Duclos did not go into detail about how it would be enforced ...
It's important not to over-inflate this very off-handed comment by Duclos (not that you are doing so Gord). It was in response to a reporter's question. Clearly it's something that's been discussed behind the scenes, but at most, this is a trial balloon to see how high the idea flies.

My sense is it landed with a thud.

And as we all know, the Feds don't have the Constitutional authority to bring in universal mandatory vaccination. They've already mandated it within areas of their jurisdiction (cross-border travel, federal service, etc.). Unless they want to invoke the Emergency Measures Act, which has a fairly high threshold to trigger, and is politically untenable (at least at this point), they simply don't have the authority to do much more than they've already done.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:08   #3607

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's important not to over-inflate this very off-handed comment by Duclos (not that you are doing so Gord). It was in response to a reporter's question. Clearly it's something that's been discussed behind the scenes, but at most, this is a trial balloon to see how high the idea flies.

And as we all know, the Feds don't have the Constitutional authority to bring in universal mandatory vaccination. They've already mandated it within areas of their jurisdiction (cross-border travel, federal service, etc.). Unless they want to invoke the Emergency Measures Act, which has a fairly high threshold to trigger, and is politically untenable (at least at this point), they simply don't have the authority to do much more than they've already done.

I like the squeezing vice approach - as Quebec has done with liquor stores and marijuana shops: require vaccine passports to get in the door. I would like to see this approach used more in British Columbia: liquor stores, community centres, just about everywhere other than perhaps grocery stores and pharmacies. I'm pretty sure WorksafeBC (the WCB) has the authority to make such orders in order to protect the health of the employees of each establishment.

On another note I've written my sister, an RN and BC MLA, a note asking that the province require Whistler/Blackcomb to require proof of vaccination before issuing a lift ticket. Apparently it is the only ski resort in BC that is not doing so and, while the slopes themselves are wide open and windy, cramming a bunch of people into a gondola presents an ideal environment for transmission. We'll see what comes of it and I'll keep you up to date on developments. One problem I can foresee is that, with so many out-of-province and out-of-country visitors, it may be difficult to determine the vaccine status of each patron.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:46   #3608

Boat: Sceptre 41

US CDC warns against travel to Canada amid rising Covid numbers

Agency elevates recommendation to ‘level four: very high’ and says Americans should avoid travel to northern neighbour

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...id-coronavirus

Good advice! (Although perhaps a bit rich given the much higher numbers in the USA.)
Old 10-01-2022, 18:50   #3609

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
US CDC warns against travel to Canada amid rising Covid numbers

Agency elevates recommendation to ‘level four: very high’ and says Americans should avoid travel to northern neighbour

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...id-coronavirus

Good advice! (Although perhaps a bit rich given the much higher numbers in the USA.)
THE US CDC ALSO WARNS AGAINST TRAVEL IN THE USA.
Canada is only level 4, America has gone to yet higher levels.

The USA be like: We're #1, we're #1, we're #1 . . . . . oh, uh wait that is not a good thing during a pandemic.

Old 10-01-2022, 18:52   #3610

On a good note:

Pfizer will have a COVID-19 vaccine that specifically targets the Omicron variant ready by March. . . .

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said the company has already begun manufacturing a new version of its COVID-19 vaccine that aims to protect recipients against Omicron.

COVID-19 symptoms and the Omicron variant: What the latest studies show
Last week, Omicron made up more than 95% of all new COVID-19 cases in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Pfizer also said it is working to improve its existing vaccine formulation, developed jointly with Germany's BioNTech, based on the vaccine's reaction to new COVID-19 variants that arise. Pfizer can "update the current vaccine to address any future variant of potential concern, if needed," . . .
"In the event that a third dose with the current vaccine is not found to protect against the Omicron variant or other future variants, Pfizer expects to be able to develop and produce a tailor-made vaccine against that variant in approximately 100 days, subject to regulatory approval,"
Old 10-01-2022, 19:03   #3611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's actually pretty simple. The key fact is that after someone gets sick with Omicron, they now have increased protection against Delta and the earlier variants of COVID. And Omicron, with its much higher contagiousness, is outcompeting Delta for the shrinking number of uninfected or unvaccinated hosts still available.
As far as I know there is no proof of this. At best this is a hope. Omicron seems to evade the vaccine pretty well. Delta not so much. If that is the case it is logical to assume that Delta will evade the Omicron antibodies.

Time will tell all but I am not holding my breath on this.
Old 10-01-2022, 19:06   #3612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

They have the authority if they enact the emergency measures act. They will not of course because the premiers, great fools that they are, would be howling.

For what it is worth the best thing that could happen is Canada gets PR at the federal level and we ditch the whole province thing. Never going to happen but one could hope.
Old 10-01-2022, 19:19   #3613

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman97 View Post
They have the authority if they enact the emergency measures act. They will not of course because the premiers, great fools that they are, would be howling.

For what it is worth the best thing that could happen is Canada gets PR at the federal level and we ditch the whole province thing. Never going to happen but one could hope.
Well... I think it's a bit more complex than that.

As I said, they would have to enact the Emergency Measures Act, which is the current version of the War Measure's Act. There are benchmarks that need to be achieved before it can be invoked, and I think it would be hard to justify at this point. Besides, as you say, it would be politically untenable (at this point).

I'm all for a shift to a PR system. Unfortunately, the government is always the beneficiary of our current first-past-the-post system, so is never going to be motivated to move away from it. The only way I can see Canada adopting a PR electoral system at the federal level is through a true coalition government. But even achieving this is highly unlikely.

As for ditching the whole province thing... that is completely impossible. That would require a wholesale re-write of our Constitution. This requires the approval of the Federal government, along with seven of ten provinces representing at least 50% of the population. It can't happen.
Old 10-01-2022, 19:31   #3614

An experimental monoclonal antibody treatment from Eli Lilly & Co is effective against all known variants of the coronavirus, including Omicron . . .
The drug, known as LY-CoV1404 or bebtelovimab, "potently" neutralized engineered versions of numerous variants, including Alpha, Beta, Delta, Epsilon, Gamma, Iota, and Omicron, in test tube experiments, the researchers reported on Friday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review. They noted that an experimental antibody drug from GlaxoSmithKline and Vir Biotechnology called sotrovimab also neutralizes Delta and Omicron, but said that bebtelovimab "is equally effective in viral neutralization against all tested variants and is several-fold more potent." That could potentially allow for lower doses and injection under the skin rather than intravenous administration.

Seriously who comes up with the names for these drugs? I wonder what their children's names are. I get that the mab at the end of the name means monoclonal antibody, but the rest is pure mumbo jumbo.

A spokesperson for Eli Lilly said the company is "urgently working with the FDA to make bebtelovimab available under an emergency use authorization and expect authorization" during the current quarter of 2022.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/experimen...201144830.html
Old 10-01-2022, 19:49   #3615
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman97 View Post
As far as I know there is no proof of this. At best this is a hope. Omicron seems to evade the vaccine pretty well. Delta not so much. If that is the case it is logical to assume that Delta will evade the Omicron antibodies.

Time will tell all but I am not holding my breath on this.
There are several studies that have shown this. The latest Canadian border testing requirements seem to now support this. Funny how this hasn’t been picked up in the media as of yet. This to me says that someone somewhere has verifiable evidence that infection gives you at least a 180 day boost of neutralizing antibodies strong enough that our government is okay with in order enter the country.

”If you are now symptom-free, you can provide proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular test when crossing the border, instead of a negative one.

The test must have been taken at least 14 and no more than 180 days before (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days):
the initial scheduled departure time of your aircraft
your scheduled entry into Canada by water or land
The proof of the positive result must be from an accepted type of molecular test
If your positive proof is accepted you won’t have to take arrival or Day-8 tests”