Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 17-01-2022, 13:55   #3736

Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

China claims Canada the possible source for first Beijing Omicron case, sent via mail

. . . China claimed that its first recorded case of the Omicron variant in Beijing could have been delivered via mail from Toronto, after traces of the variant were detected on a letter mailed from the Canadian city.

Pang Xinghuo, deputy director of the Beijing Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, said the first patient to contract the variant in Beijing received a letter mailed from Canada on January 7, the South China Morning Post reported .

“We do not rule out the possibility that the person was infected through contacting an object from overseas,”

Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), however, stated there has been no evidence of transmission via imported items.

Throughout 2021, Chinese authorities have reported that COVID-19 was found on contaminated imports such as frozen foods, although the virus does not survive on surfaces for prolonged periods of time according to medical experts abroad.

“Because of the poor survivability of coronaviruses on surfaces, there is a low risk of spread from products or packaging shipped over a period of days or weeks,” Canada Post stated on its website, citing both the World Health Organization and PHAC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/canad...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 17-01-2022, 13:58   #3737

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
The vaccinated can carry as high or higher viral loads and are prone to being infected and infecting others.... yet you claim that somehow they protect the unvaccinated?

More nonsense from within the echo chamber.

Carry on gentlemen.
More nonsense from the Spanish expert on Canadian Covid.

I have heard or read nothing that says that the vaccinated can carry as high or higher viral load as the unvaccinated. Possibly that is true, but more likely you are simply repeating anti-Vaxxer misinformation.

However it is pretty clear that a vaccinated person, if they catch Covid, will remain sick and be contagious for a much shorter period of time thereby exposing fewer other persons to the virus.
Old 17-01-2022, 14:38   #3738

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
The vaccinated can carry as high or higher viral loads and are prone to being infected and infecting others.... yet you claim that somehow they protect the unvaccinated?
So wrong. Not after 6 hours....
More mis -information from someone in Spain (sorry Spain), who knows nothing about Covid-19 in Canada, nor it seems, about Covid-19.

Here, check this clear explanation out:
https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...e-transmission

Click image for larger version

Name:	6dd0d82b-f01a-4453-9f32-7dd49df1d8ab_1670x910.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	251434
Old 17-01-2022, 15:19   #3739

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

I have heard or read nothing that says that the vaccinated can carry as high or higher viral load as the unvaccinated. Possibly that is true, but more likely you are simply repeating anti-Vaxxer misinformation.

However it is pretty clear that a vaccinated person, if they catch Covid, will remain sick and be contagious for a much shorter period of time thereby exposing fewer other persons to the virus.
Read more, Fred. The point I made about viral load is not in dispute ( at least not with Delta).

"Abstract
The effectiveness of BNT162b2, ChAdOx1, and mRNA-1273 vaccines against new SARS-CoV-2 infections requires continuous re-evaluation, given the increasingly dominant Delta variant. We investigated the effectiveness of the vaccines in a large community-based survey of randomly selected households across the UK. We found that the effectiveness of BNT162b2 and ChAd0x1 against any infections (new PCR positives) and infections with symptoms or high viral burden is reduced with the Delta variant. A single dose of the mRNA-1273 vaccine had similar or greater effectiveness compared to a single dose of BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1. Effectiveness of two doses remains at least as great as protection afforded by prior natural infection. The dynamics of immunity following second doses differed significantly between BNT162b2 and ChAdOx1, with greater initial effectiveness against new PCR-positives but faster declines in protection against high viral burden and symptomatic infection with BNT162b2. There was no evidence that effectiveness varied by dosing interval, but protection was higher among those vaccinated following a prior infection and younger adults. With Delta, infections occurring following two vaccinations had similar peak viral burden to those in unvaccinated individuals. SARS-CoV-2 vaccination still reduces new infections, but effectiveness and attenuation of peak viral burden are reduced with Delta."

Full text: file:///C:/Users/G/Downloads/Finalfi...VE20210816.pdf

Your second point regarding duration of the illness is dependent on many variables, vaccination status being only one. General health, age, early treatment are equally, if not more, significant.

At any rate, your point is moot. All sick people should isolate until well. If that simple rule is followed by all, exposing others is not an issue regardless of the duration of the illness.
Old 17-01-2022, 15:34   #3740

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

[QUOTE=Scorpius;3556648]

....Traditional vaccines harmlessly mimic the disease to trigger a response by the adaptive immune system so that, if you do get infected with the real thing, the adaptive system can immediately attack it and eliminate or minimize the impact before the disease gets out of hand.

mRNA vaccines work differently in that they directly attack the viruses and neutralize them - which may explain their waning effectiveness as the active ingredient slowly leaves the body over time.

QUOTE]

"mRNA vaccines directly attack the viruses?" Oh, boy..
But you really hate the unvaccinated idiots, right?
Old 17-01-2022, 15:36   #3741

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Read more, Fred. The point I made about viral load is not in dispute ( at least not with Delta)....With Delta, infections occurring following two vaccinations had similar peak viral burden to those in unvaccinated individuals. [/B]SARS-CoV-2 vaccination still reduces new infections, but effectiveness and attenuation of peak viral burden are reduced with Delta."

Full text: file:///C:/Users/G/Downloads/Finalfi...VE20210816.pdf

Your second point regarding duration of the illness is dependent on many variables, vaccination status being only one. General health, age, early treatment are equally, if not more, significant.

At any rate, your point is moot. All sick people should isolate until well. If that simple rule is followed by all, exposing others is not an issue regardless of the duration of the illness.
Sorry Greg, the abstract you quoted does not say that vaccinated persons with subsequent Covid infections have a higher viral load, only that is has a "similar peak viral load" and of course it attenuates with time faster as the vaccinated person's immune system fights off the infection. This is explained in a paper previously quoted in another comment above https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...e-transmission which clearly discuses this point (with several studies cited and linked) and a pretty clear diagram.

Further, Covid infected persons are contagious before symptoms appear. Asymptomatic un-vaccinated persons can continue to expose other people for longer periods of time than vaccinated persons. There are several findings in the studies mentioned above which indicate that the vaccinated person is less likely to shed viable virus than an unvaccinated person.
Old 17-01-2022, 18:21   #3742

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

[QUOTE=Greg K;3556808]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

....Traditional vaccines harmlessly mimic the disease to trigger a response by the adaptive immune system so that, if you do get infected with the real thing, the adaptive system can immediately attack it and eliminate or minimize the impact before the disease gets out of hand.

mRNA vaccines work differently in that they directly attack the viruses and neutralize them - which may explain their waning effectiveness as the active ingredient slowly leaves the body over time.

QUOTE]

Hmmm, I don't recall ever calling the unvaccinated "idiots" - but you just did. And here I've been thinking that you were one of them - the unvaccinated that is.
Old 17-01-2022, 18:28   #3743

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

[QUOTE=Greg K;3556808]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

QUOTE]

Perhaps I am wrong about how mRNA vaccines work. Perhaps you could explain how they REALLY work and elucidate me. I'd appreciate that. Thanks.
Old 17-01-2022, 20:10   #3744

Boat: Martin 242

[QUOTE=Scorpius;3556874]
Quote:

Perhaps I am wrong about how mRNA vaccines work. Perhaps you could explain how they REALLY work and elucidate me. I'd appreciate that. Thanks.
If it helps, I found this diagram "How does mRNA vaccine work" on this webpage to be easy to understand (the 3rd picture down).

https://www.oligotherapeutics.org/fa...creating-them/
Old 17-01-2022, 20:23   #3745

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
I've just arrived back from the Sea of Cortez, by plane, completing my 14 days isolation tomorrow in a very small West Coast of Vancouver Island village of Bamfield.

Yesterday from my window watched a Sailboat come across the sound.

We are a village of 40 at this time of year. nursing station no ventilators in about 100km Most of us are well into the "get the virus and die age group".

So my attitude to anyone looking for Good old Canadian Hospitality is

STAY THE HELL AWAY.

This is serious stuff. I don't want to die, just yet.

We where in the Sea having a great cruise, the weather changed and we had a sailing wind into La Paz so we went to resupply and head off again. About 12 miles out of La Paz we got wifi signal. My phone started going nuts, my grown kids in Canada, telling me to get home. We had no idea that the world had changed maybe for ever.

La Paz is an expensive cruising destination and well within the hurricane zone. We had no intention of leaving the boat there. At first I was all for restocking and heading up the sea into the islands and northern ports and harbours. To tell you the truth I was winded. No time to think, my logic board was not programmed to comprehend what had happened.

All options disappeared within 24 hours. Central America closed its ports as did most of the Pacific islands. Also the Mexican ports where and are considering closing their ports to cruising sailboats. I did as was instructed by my kids, after nearly failing to find space paid mega dollars to haul and dry store the boat and after flight cancelation managed to get one of the last tickets on the last plane out of the Baja back to Canada.

In our brief stay we encountered many Yachty types mostly anchored off La Paz. Most elected to wait and see, others the door had already slammed shut.

As America starts to face an awful fate for its denial of what this virus can do, Mexico with little financial resources and only basic medical protection is going to be decimated. We wore masks , gloves, used wipes etc changed and bagged our clothing twice sat outside the airport for 8 hours until the flight was due to leave as we tried to get home Frankly even though much of Canada had closed down, the attitude of lets go to the park, beach or go Sailing is still here.

So please take this personaly: SOD OFF FROM BAMFIELD YOU ARE NOT WELCOME

Sailing cruisers are really nice people on the whole. nationality, colour, religion and most politics does not matter. But this disease knows no boundaries. Please as the cruising season gets close just remember what you could be bringing to the ports and friends you meet on the way.

PS I am thinking about crowd funding to pay for my boat storage in La Paz. $1400 to haul out!!!!

I know a large family in which all members became ill with what appears to have been omicron. Several members were officially diagnosed, and all had the same symptoms. At around the same time, I caught a bug that was either COVID, or a cold. It was really hard to say which it was. I, and my friends just stayed home a few days until we recovered naturally. The big irony was that one of my friends who was diagnosed with COVID had been triple vaccinated. Goes to show that for most people, COVID (at least this strain) is really little worse than the common cold. And the vaccine is of no use in preventing it. It seems that COVID is just another over hyped media event, nothing to fear. Nothing sells news like a scary story.
Old 17-01-2022, 20:40   #3746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
I know a large family in which all members became ill with what appears to have been omicron. Several members were officially diagnosed, and all had the same symptoms. At around the same time, I caught a bug that was either COVID, or a cold. It was really hard to say which it was. I, and my friends just stayed home a few days until we recovered naturally. The big irony was that one of my friends who was diagnosed with COVID had been triple vaccinated. Goes to show that for most people, COVID (at least this strain) is really little worse than the common cold. And the vaccine is of no use in preventing it. It seems that COVID is just another over hyped media event, nothing to fear. Nothing sells news like a scary story.

Please explain your point of view to those families who have loved ones who died from it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 17-01-2022, 20:42   #3747

[QUOTE=Scorpius;3556874]
Quote:

mNRA forces cell internal "machinery" to produce a synthetic "spike protein" by genetic manipulation. The body's immune system produces antibodies to the spike protein. This spike protein is similar to one that is on the COVID virus. So if the body encounters the virus, the immune system is already conditioned to make antibodies to attack it.

Seems fine, except that the spike protein is a toxin, and the body is forced to produce this toxic thing. The manufactures have not released the full ingredients lists. And full testing has not been done. So it seems that nobody really knows the full story on how it works. Is it any wonder that many people refuse to take a chance on this stuff? If you would like to differ, please listen to an expert, Dr. Peter McCullough. It should be no problem to find some interviews on the net.
Old 17-01-2022, 20:57   #3748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
China claims Canada the possible source for first Beijing Omicron case, sent via mail

. . . China claimed that its first recorded case of the Omicron variant in Beijing could have been delivered via mail from Toronto, after traces of the variant were detected on a letter mailed from the Canadian city.

Pang Xinghuo, deputy director of the Beijing Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, said the first patient to contract the variant in Beijing received a letter mailed from Canada on January 7, the South China Morning Post reported .

“We do not rule out the possibility that the person was infected through contacting an object from overseas,”

Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), however, stated there has been no evidence of transmission via imported items.

Throughout 2021, Chinese authorities have reported that COVID-19 was found on contaminated imports such as frozen foods, although the virus does not survive on surfaces for prolonged periods of time according to medical experts abroad.

“Because of the poor survivability of coronaviruses on surfaces, there is a low risk of spread from products or packaging shipped over a period of days or weeks,” Canada Post stated on its website, citing both the World Health Organization and PHAC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/canad...?ocid=msedgntp

Considering the scandal at the Winnipeg-based National Microbiology Laboratory, the Chinese could be correct. But their people were also involved. This included Chinese citizens Dr. Xiangguo Qiu and her husband, Keding Cheng, were marched out of the Level 4 lab in July 2019 and eventually fired from their research jobs there. Qui had made five visits to the Wuhan Institute of Virology. She had also sent viral specimens to China.
Old 17-01-2022, 21:05   #3749

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

Your term, "anti-vaxxer" indicates a biased prejudice. If you would please refrain from using such language, perhaps you might have a chance of being taken seriously.

Because most cases of illness diagnosed as COVID are mild and only last a few days, this argument is a red herring.
Old 17-01-2022, 21:17   #3750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Please explain your point of view to those families who have loved ones who died from it.

In most COVID associated deaths, the patients had several comorbidities. It may seem harsh, but these people were likely to succumb to whatever bug happened to be about, whether flu, pneumonia, or a bad cold. Just who really died of COVID is impossible to establish due to the high numbers of false positive PCR tests. If the truth could be known, it is possible that many deaths attributed to COVID were really due to other causes. But the evidence has literally been buried.

Perhaps you can offer your sympathies to people who have been vaccine injured, or the families of those who have died as an effect of the vaccine.