Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-01-2022, 08:19   #3841

Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
You understand how science works Mike? You won't even quote any scientists. I am asking for the umpteenth time for you to list your experts. You won't do it, You can't do it. Or even just post some of this science of which you speak. It is obvious that you receive a pittance for writing this crap. What you speak of is science by press releases. Science by decree. Convicted felon corporations that are allowed to do their own safety testing is what you call science. REAL science questions that paradigm. Like it or not! Your reality wagon is a propaganda wagon and you are part of it. You say you are a paid science journalist. Link us to some of your drivel. Prove me wrong!

Thanks TU. Mike will never prove you wrong because he cannot. You bring out some good points about criminal entities called pharma companies. It is obvious that they wield enormous media and political clout to get away with their crimes. They seem to own the media through advertising contracts. Then there is incestuous corporate ownership relationships. They seem to own the politicians through financial contributions.

Their corruption knows no bounds. Books could be written on this topic. As one example, Johnson and Johnson has lost a law suit over deadly asbestos laden baby powder. Their financial loss is so great that they are trying to file for bankruptcy and reorganize the company to pare down their pay out. They would not not even safely produce something as simple as pulverized talc stone, yet we are supposed to trust them with our lives on something as technologically complex as mNRA?

"Johnson & Johnson is drawing criticism after using a controversial bankruptcy maneuver to block roughly 38,000 lawsuits linked to claims that its talc baby powder was contaminated with cancer-causing asbestos.

The health products giant used a quirk of Texas state law to spin off a new company called LTL, then dumped all its asbestos-related liabilities — including the avalanche of lawsuits — into the new firm.

LTL filed for bankruptcy last week in a federal court in Charlotte, N.C., a move designed to sharply limit efforts to recover damages for those who say they were harmed by J&J's baby powder.

"Johnson & Johnson doesn't have this liability anymore. They pushed all of it into the company they created just to file for bankruptcy," said Lindsey Simon, a bankruptcy expert at the University of Georgia School of Law."

As a result, Simon said, "consumers can't recover [damages] against a big solvent company. They have to recover against this smaller fictional company created [by J&J]."

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/21/10478...son-bankruptcy

This brings up an obvious question. Why had news media covered the asbestos laden baby powder story, but failed to question their credibility on vaccines? Can we trust our lives to a corrupt bankrupt corporation on something as complex as new mNRA technology?

Pfizer has its own criminal corruption issues.

"In autumn 2020 Pfizer’s chairman and chief executive, Albert Bourla, released an open letter to the billions of people around the world who were investing their hopes in a safe and effective covid-19 vaccine to end the pandemic. “As I’ve said before, we are operating at the speed of science,” Bourla wrote, explaining to the public when they could expect a Pfizer vaccine to be authorised in the United States.

But, for researchers who were testing Pfizer’s vaccine at several sites in Texas during that autumn, speed may have come at the cost of data integrity and patient safety. A regional director who was employed at the research organisation Ventavia Research Group has told The BMJ that the company falsified data, unblinded patients, employed inadequately trained vaccinators, and was slow to follow up on adverse events reported in Pfizer’s pivotal phase III trial. Staff who conducted quality control checks were overwhelmed by the volume of problems they were finding. After repeatedly notifying Ventavia of these problems, the regional director, Brook Jackson, emailed a complaint to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Ventavia fired her later the same day. Jackson has provided The BMJ with dozens of internal company documents, photos, audio recordings, and emails."

BMJ 2021; 375 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n2635 (Published 02 November 2021) Cite this as: BMJ 2021;375:n2635

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2635

If news media had done its job to inform the public, we would have seen much more vaccine refusal by informed people who are concerned about their safety. But media have their medical industry masters to please. The COVID industrial complex is very powerful.

In various posts I have included source referenced material, but MO and a few others have either ignored it, or dismissed it as bull, misinformation, or disinformation. Are some of these people paid schills, or do they prostitute their deficient writing services for free? If paid, their handlers are certainly not getting their money's worth.
Old 19-01-2022, 08:21   #3842

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

I guess it means that 33% of COVID-positive patients being admitted didn't know/ think they had COVID. It doesn't of course change the number of people admitted that have COVID.
I always wonder about this. I have had half a dozen "colds" of various fierceness and symptoms since this all started. The first couple I went and got tested, but since then — as I am basically a home body — I haven't bothered. Its one of the most annoying things about the messaging surrounding Covid: if I was to isolate every time I had any symptoms I would have been isolating 70% of the time. And being a stay-at-home with little chance to have the furnace cleaned hasn't helped the allergies much and that is another cause of ambiguous sniffles and sneezes...

It's no wonder the discourse and communication surrounding Covid has been nothing if not confusing and contradictory. Herding cats anyone?
Old 19-01-2022, 08:32   #3843

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
New York State (part of which borders Ontario, CA) recently started separation of COVID hospitalizations that were admitted for something other than COVID but were found to have COVID. Statewide, that number was 33% of admissions.

What does this mean?

I guess it means that 33% of COVID-positive patients being admitted didn't know/ think they had COVID. It doesn't of course change the number of people admitted that have COVID.

Yeah, it's interesting. Ontario has started differentiating hospital admittance like this as well. Looking at the current breakdown of Covid-19 hospitalizations, is shows 47% were initially admitted for other reasons.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data/hospitalizations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 11.27.56 .jpg
Views:	69
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	251492  
Old 19-01-2022, 08:39   #3844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yeah, it's interesting. Ontario has started differentiating hospital admittance like this as well. Looking at the current breakdown of Covid-19 hospitalizations, is shows 47% were initially admitted for other reasons.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data/hospitalizations

One point that gets missed is that COVID often pushes fragile people into flareups of their existing condition. (Flu, pneumonia and other diseases do this too, but there's a heckuva lot more COVID around right now). So you get admissions for these other problems, and then testing shows that they have COVID.

So the chicken-egg thing - whether someone was admitted to hospital FOR COVID... vs something else, then test +ve - isn't always so clear-cut.
Old 19-01-2022, 08:42   #3845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post

Anyone know what the anchoring is like in Esquimault?

Ah, sailing stuff in Canada!

Mac, it is limited. There is a naval base in there. IIRC, Pacific Yachting magazine did a complete article on it just a few (2-3) years ago. Dunno if you can access it on the web if you aren't a subscriber, and I'm sorry I don't have a subscription, nor do I have my hard copy left. Perhaps the Canadian version of Sailing Directions has some guidelines because of the naval presence. Let me know if you're coming, would be nice to get together.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 19-01-2022, 08:45   #3846

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
My sailing window is April to mid-June. Last spring just wasn't going to work and I try to do my bit to keep my own personal hypocrisy to a minimum.

My partner has a teaching gig at Royal Roads this May and we are hoping to live aboard there for 2 weeks and then head out. But Royal Roads has to make the call if the session will be in person relatively soon. So even if we make it out, we may find ourselves tied to a dock with good internet for half of our available cruising time

Anyone know what the anchoring is like in Esquimault?
We've not been in to Esquimalt. The Hamilton's book gives details (positive).

Note, there is also Sooke/Sooke Basin, with bus service to/from Royal Roads.

Here is the 2017 Waggoner description for Esquimalt:

Esquimalt Harbour. Esquimalt Harbour is a wonderful but often overlooked anchorage, with excellent holding in thick mud southeast of Cole Island, with room to swing. Protection is reasonable, even with big winds blowing in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. With this bottom you’re not going anywhere, anyway. At night the lights from the shipyard reflect on the still water—magic. The Canadian Navy guards the entrance with a high speed inflatable, and will advise you to keep 100 meters away from their ships and property, but they are fine with anchoring. The British Navy once used Cole Island for munitions storage. The large brick buildings on the island are still intact and make interesting exploration. The land is apparently owned by the province. It’s okay to go ashore. [Hamilton] Our sister publication, |i] Cruising the Secret Coast,[/i] by Jennifer and James Hamilton, devotes an entire chapter to Esquimalt Harbour and vicinity.

Security zone: All vessels entering or departing Esquimalt Harbour are requested to contact QHM Operations on VHF channel 10 or by telephone (250) 363-2160.

Fleming Beach at Macaulay Park. West of Victoria Harbour, in Esquimalt. Open all year. Facilities include launch ramp (fee charged) and washrooms. This is a charming little cove, protected by a rock breakwater, overlooked by most boating people. It is the home of Esquimalt Anglers’ Association, a private sportfishing and fish enhancement group. The boarding floats at the launch ramp have room for temporary moorage while shopping nearby, or you can anchor out. Walkways and picnic areas have been built. Fleming Beach is adjacent to old coastal gun emplacements, which make for good exploring
Old 19-01-2022, 08:48   #3847

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
One point that gets missed is that COVID often pushes fragile people into flareups of their existing condition. (Flu, pneumonia and other diseases do this too, but there's a heckuva lot more COVID around right now). So you get admissions for these other problems, and then testing shows that they have COVID.

So the chicken-egg thing - whether someone was admitted to hospital FOR COVID... vs something else, then test +ve - isn't always so clear-cut.

Yes, good point. It's also why it's more likely for severe Covid-19 cases to have comorbidities. Anything which severely stresses the immune system will put the patient at greater risk of additional infections.
Old 19-01-2022, 08:50   #3848

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
We've not been in to Esquimalt. The Hamilton's book gives details (positive).

Note, there is also Sooke/Sooke Basin, with bus service to/from Royal Roads.
Thanks. I had considered Pedder Bay but the busing seemed pretty bad. Sooke might be a better option.

The Navy seems to have a yacht club dock that offers reciprocals but we aren't a member of any club. I will give them a call and see if they are available for water top ups or battery recharges—we've only got about 4 or 5 days at anchor in the bank. If it's a go I will start a new thread.
Old 19-01-2022, 08:50   #3849

Ach, how could i forget Waggoners? Silly me. But the PY article had more details, as to be expected.
Old 19-01-2022, 09:00   #3850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ach, how could i forget Waggoners? Silly me. But the PY article had more details, as to be expected.
PY article might be the one by the Hamiltons, which is their write-up in their "Secret Coast..." book. Book is 2 hrs away on boat.
Old 19-01-2022, 09:18   #3851

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
That's horrible! *snicker*

New York State (part of which borders Ontario, CA) recently started separation of COVID hospitalizations that were admitted for something other than COVID but were found to have COVID. Statewide, that number was 33% of admissions.

What does this mean?

It's not unlikely the Ontario is experiencing the same.

I found it interesting, though can't say much for the significance of it; somewhere there's something very interesting in there, but I can't figure out what.
Here's a hint for you, Tetepare: ask yourself why medical authorities haven't been making the distinction between hospitalization for covid as opposed to with covid right from the beginning of the pandemic and are only now providing this data to the public?
Old 19-01-2022, 09:23   #3852

PDF if 2006 Esquimalt article here:
https://mvdirona.com/travelarticles/..._ESQUIMALT.pdf

January 2018 Esquimalt article by Marianne Scott:
https://www.pacificyachting.com/a-da...imalt-harbour/

Cheers!
Old 19-01-2022, 09:35   #3853

Quote:
I always wonder about this. I have had half a dozen "colds" of various fierceness and symptoms since this all started. The first couple I went and got tested, but since then — as I am basically a home body — I haven't bothered. Its one of the most annoying things about the messaging surrounding Covid: if I was to isolate every time I had any symptoms I would have been isolating 70% of the time. And being a stay-at-home with little chance to have the furnace cleaned hasn't helped the allergies much and that is another cause of ambiguous sniffles and sneezes...

It's no wonder the discourse and communication surrounding Covid has been nothing if not confusing and contradictory. Herding cats anyone?

I understand your conundrum Macblaze. I too recently had a cold that may possibly have been omicron. I have friends who experienced the same symptoms at around the same time. A few were officially diagnosed as having COVID. At least one was triple vaxed. Just shows what injections and testing are worth, mostly nothing.

I cannot offer medical advice, but my personal strategy that had worked for me for over two years is to take 4000 IU and 50 grams of vitamin D every day (ok to miss a day here and there). I also have at least a cup a day of connifer tea. It is high in vitamin C. It also contains shikimic acid, the precursor of Tamiflu. If interested, plenty of articles are available on line about connifer tea.

I stayed infection free since before the COVID phenomena, but gotta concede that I lost my perfect record recently. The symptoms cleared in about a week and a half. Of course I did not go out in public until symptom free. Whatever this bug was, it was quite mild. If it really was COVID, it leaves my to wonder what all the fear is about. Perhaps my supplementation enabled me to fend off the bug. I concluded that getting tested would encumber me in red tape galore, and I was not suffering to the point of requiring intervention. If it really was COVID, at least I have it over with and have natural immunity, which is far superior to immunity by injection.

In the midst of the dog's breakfast of information that is out there, I think that one must use one's own noggin to decide who to trust, and on a logical course of action. Ya gotta do some of your own doctor work, just as you would do at least some of your own boat repairs. Of course vax mandates attempt to take away one's right to make one's own health choices, and many have been forced to take something against their will, and many have lost their job just for living by their right to security of their person which the Canadian Charter is supposed to guarantee. It seems that a dollar watch has a better guarantee than do we.
Old 19-01-2022, 10:03   #3854

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post

January 2018 Esquimalt article by Marianne Scott:
https://www.pacificyachting.com/a-da...imalt-harbour/

Cheers!

Thx, that's the one I was thinking about, great find.
Old 19-01-2022, 10:32   #3855
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
... my personal strategy that had worked for me for over two years is to take 4000 IU and 50 grams of vitamin D every day (ok to miss a day here and there)..
I hope you mean 50 micrograms, mcg, or μg [NOT Grams].
50 Grams would be a massive overdose of vitamin D.
4000 IU = 100 mcg = 0.0001grams.
IU stands for International units and is a unit commonly used in the measurement of medications, vaccines and vitamins.
The volume or mass that makes up one International unit is dependent on the concentration or potency of the substance and therefore varies from substance to substance depending on what is being measured.
Vitamin D: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.025 mcg cholecalciferol [D3] or ergocalciferol [D2].

I'm beginning to understand why you find numbers meaningless.