Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-01-2022, 10:47   #3856

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I'm beginning to understand why you find numbers meaningless.
[emoji1787]
Old 19-01-2022, 10:55   #3857

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I hope you mean 50 micrograms, mcg, or μg [NOT Grams].
50 Grams would be a massive overdose of vitamin D.
4000 IU = 100 mcg = 0.0001grams.
IU stands for International units and is a unit commonly used in the measurement of medications, vaccines and vitamins.
The volume or mass that makes up one International unit is dependent on the concentration or potency of the substance and therefore varies from substance to substance depending on what is being measured.
Vitamin D: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.025 mcg cholecalciferol [D3] or ergocalciferol [D2].

I'm beginning to understand why you find numbers meaningless.

Sorry folks about the typo. I meant to say a vitamin D dose of 4000 IU, and a zinc dose of 50 mg.

If anyone is interested in vitamin D, there is plenty info at http://drholick.com/
Vitamin D deficiency was discovered in about 80% of severe COVID cases.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ID-19-recovery

A rude comment over a typing error is certainly not called for. Some people seem to enjoy every opportunity to make unjustified insults. Did your mother hang a meat scrap around you neck, just to get the dog to approach? I'm sure that with such an attitude, you have no friends.

And of course honest numbers do have meaning. But error prone PCR figures certainly are meaningless.

The IU system seems to be quite convoluted. Hard to understand why it was favored over simply mass units for some materials. Here we have two common supplements measured in two units.
Old 19-01-2022, 11:02   #3858

MACBLAZE: Esquimalt harbour official information:
http://www.navy-marine.forces.gc.ca/...rocedures.page

21 days out of 40 max...
Old 19-01-2022, 11:03   #3859

Boat: Rafiki 37

I see Ontario Premier Doug Ford is saying there will be an announcement later this week that will please businesses like restaurants and gyms and the like. Sounds like the openings will begin.
Old 19-01-2022, 11:12   #3860

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
MACBLAZE: Esquimalt harbour official information:
Esquimalt Harbour Practices and Procedures

21 days out of 40 max...
I'd seen the more recent PY article but the not the 2006 one. Thanks. But there isn't not much practical info on whether it can be considered an all-weather harbour. 2 weeks in early May can still be pretty unpredictable. I've found a few other blogs etc. but they tend to be settled summer weather. We also need a place to go ashore although I it looks like that can be done at lighthouse. I intend to talk to GVHA about moorage (we spent a winter there in 2015 and loved it) if we have to but it can get pricey.

Sorry about the OT
Old 19-01-2022, 11:36   #3861

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Here's a hint for you, Tetepare: ask yourself why medical authorities haven't been making the distinction between hospitalization for covid as opposed to with covid right from the beginning of the pandemic and are only now providing this data to the public?
LOL I live in NY, I know why NY politicians do or don't do anything, it's money and power. Lest anyone forget, our last three governors quit in shame.

When COVID first exploded (supposedly) all we got were state statistics. They knew the regional and county, but they didn't get published for a long time. When they did we realized schidt, we were wearing masks and hiding at home for nothing.

Meanwhile, Cuomo locked down state borders. What he didn't do was lock down NYC. As a result, the reporting of every county's first death was "someone from outside the county." In other words, NYC people could flee the COVID and go to their nice chalets upstate; and (of course, and so reported in the news) they'd stop for groceries, then stop at the bar along the way. Thanks, Cuomo.

Of course there's the whole nursing home deaths fiasco which I can't actually blame Cuomo, he signed it, but duh he doesn't know jack about this- it came from the health commissioner (who got booted too.)

Pick a topic, any topic. If you're in NY and you know anything about a specific topic it takes about five seconds to identify the BS you're being fed. I don't trust any hack employee of NYS, and they proved yet again with COVID that it's NY politics, not truth. This makes it a real bear to figure out exactly WTF is going on, and what one should do.

So why are these new statistics being released now? FOLLOW THE MONEY. The new gov is trying to look transparent.

But if NY and Ontario are tracking hospital admissions that don't know they have COVID, I suppose it could mean it's not that bad. Or co-morbidities being exacerbated. I *hope* it means we get to cruise Canada this summer!
Old 19-01-2022, 11:41   #3862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I'd seen the more recent PY article but the not the 2006 one. Thanks. But there isn't not much practical info on whether it can be considered an all-weather harbour. 2 weeks in early May can still be pretty unpredictable. I've found a few other blogs etc. but they tend to be settled summer weather. We also need a place to go ashore although I it looks like that can be done at lighthouse. I intend to talk to GVHA about moorage (we spent a winter there in 2015 and loved it) if we have to but it can get pricey.

Sorry about the OT
Yeah, still off topic (though it is boating during COVID-19 in Canada...):

- Public access at head of bay at Parson's Bridge Park (next to highway), but not at real low tide

- Public beach access at Tovey Bay
Old 19-01-2022, 12:00   #3863
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Greece now mandate N95 FFP2 masks
you can take here free mask

i don't know who have worst politician California,greek or Croatia.
If i say all 95% Croatian politician is totally dump with IQ no more of 70 this is thru
sorry but i just watch this video and I am mad & sad
Old 19-01-2022, 13:07   #3864
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
Sorry folks about the typo. I meant to say a vitamin D dose of 4000 IU, and a zinc dose of 50 mg...

... The IU system seems to be quite convoluted. Hard to understand why it was favored over simply mass units for some materials. Here we have two common supplements measured in two units.
It is somewhat confusing.

The definition of IU specifically states that it’s a measurement of the biological effects, or effectiveness, rather than the weight or amount [mass]. Each substance has its own level of biological effectiveness.
IU doesn’t measure mass or volume, while mg [milligrams], and mcg [micrograms] measure mass.
The IU system was devised, due to some vitamins [ie: A, D, & E] coming in multiple forms, each of which has a different potency, or level of biological activity.

New USFDA labeling guidelines require that vitamin D be reported in mcg, rather than IU.
https://dsid.od.nih.gov/Conversions.php

Definition of international unit:
International Unit (IU), in pharmacology, quantity of a substance, such as a vitamin, hormone, or toxin, that produces a specified effect when tested according to an internationally accepted biological procedure. For certain substances, the IU has been identified with a weight of a particular purified form of the material; for example:
VITAMIN D: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.025 mcg cholecalciferol or ergocalciferol
One microgram [0.001 mg] of Vitamin D = 40 IU
400IU of Vitamin D = 10ug
The RDA for an adult range from 600-800 IU. In micrograms, that would be 15 to 20 µg [0.015-0.020 mg]

Old 19-01-2022, 14:20   #3865

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
you can take here free mask

i don't know who have worst politician California,greek or Croatia.
If i say all 95% Croatian politician is totally dump with IQ no more of 70 this is thru
sorry but i just watch this video and I am mad & sad
Her quote: "It was taken care of the way it was supposed to be".

Either tax money being thrown away, or the value of dollars going down, as the money to buy these masks (from Asia) was likely from Federal Covid aid, created without revenues.

So someone ordered masks without a place to keep them. And put them in the event center. And when they had an event, moved them outside. And left them there to weather.

I understand the pressures people were under last year, but this is gross incompetence.

Someone should have found a warehouse to store that PPE and gear in. Or simply distributed it. I'm sure people there were buying masks over the past few months. Now it's just trash.
Old 19-01-2022, 14:39   #3866
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Her quote: "It was taken care of the way it was supposed to be".

Either tax money being thrown away, or the value of dollars going down, as the money to buy these masks (from Asia) was likely from Federal Covid aid, created without revenues.

So someone ordered masks without a place to keep them. And put them in the event center. And when they had an event, moved them outside. And left them there to weather.

I understand the pressures people were under last year, but this is gross incompetence.

Someone should have found a warehouse to store that PPE and gear in. Or simply distributed it. I'm sure people there were buying masks over the past few months. Now it's just trash.
I am mad & sad
-everything is made in asia
-tax money is burn but somebody in asia put lot money in pocket
-next 10-20 year all we must pay more tax to cover this damage.
Old 19-01-2022, 15:00   #3867

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
LOL I live in NY, I know why NY politicians do or don't do anything, it's money and power. Lest anyone forget, our last three governors quit in shame.

When COVID first exploded (supposedly) all we got were state statistics. They knew the regional and county, but they didn't get published for a long time. When they did we realized schidt, we were wearing masks and hiding at home for nothing.

Meanwhile, Cuomo locked down state borders. What he didn't do was lock down NYC. As a result, the reporting of every county's first death was "someone from outside the county." In other words, NYC people could flee the COVID and go to their nice chalets upstate; and (of course, and so reported in the news) they'd stop for groceries, then stop at the bar along the way. Thanks, Cuomo.

Of course there's the whole nursing home deaths fiasco which I can't actually blame Cuomo, he signed it, but duh he doesn't know jack about this- it came from the health commissioner (who got booted too.)

Pick a topic, any topic. If you're in NY and you know anything about a specific topic it takes about five seconds to identify the BS you're being fed. I don't trust any hack employee of NYS, and they proved yet again with COVID that it's NY politics, not truth. This makes it a real bear to figure out exactly WTF is going on, and what one should do.

So why are these new statistics being released now? FOLLOW THE MONEY. The new gov is trying to look transparent.

But if NY and Ontario are tracking hospital admissions that don't know they have COVID, I suppose it could mean it's not that bad. Or co-morbidities being exacerbated. I *hope* it means we get to cruise Canada this summer!
Except it's not just in NY. The policy change in public messaging regarding hospital admissions with/for covid is also happening in other states and in Canada, too. Why?

My guess: Manipulation of public perception on the severity of the pandemic.

Changing the narrative now. Time to dial down the fear factor.

People were played.
Old 19-01-2022, 15:44   #3868

Boat: Rafiki 37

More good news:

CP: Child COVID vaccine clinics ramping up in Ontario on Thursday
Old 19-01-2022, 15:51   #3869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is legalized child abuse. Minors are incapable of making an informed decision. Child infection rates are so low that they are practically non existent. Jabbing children with toxins is in no way necessary. Any parent that would allow this ought to be charged with child abuse.

Started to look at the linked article. Was difficult to see a photo of an innocent young girl seated for an assault on her body. This is beyond disgusting! Adults are able to comprehend the potential harm and refuse, but children are completely vulnerable.
Old 19-01-2022, 15:52   #3870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

How is this good news? Is this really necessary?

I mean, I'm not against young children getting vaccinated, I just wonder if all the hand-wringing over it is a bit overblown.

A fall study from England found the infection’s child-mortality rate is 2 per million. Of those who died, “76 percent had chronic health conditions, 64 percent had multiple comorbidities, and 60 percent had life-limiting conditions.” For comparison, about 2 million children in America play baseball each year, and about three or four die from it each year, for roughly the same mortality rate. But most parents don’t think twice about putting our kids in Little League.