Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-01-2022, 15:56   #3871

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

And this:

CityNews:
Government releasing reopening plan tomorrow

Quote:
“I’m going to make an announcement by the end of the week, and we will get moving,” Ford told CityNews on Monday when asked if the restrictions will stay in place or lift on January 26.

The premier reiterated that point on Wednesday, telling CityNews his heart goes out to businesses caught in this whirlwind of reopening and being shuttered.

“It’s going to be a positive announcement we make this week. I am looking forward to it,” Ford said. “No one dislikes these shutdowns more than I do. I despise them. In saying that, health is a priority, and we’ll follow the guidelines of the chief medical officer.”
Old 19-01-2022, 16:45   #3872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Except it's not just in NY. The policy change in public messaging regarding hospital admissions with/for covid is also happening in other states and in Canada, too. Why?

My guess: Manipulation of public perception on the severity of the pandemic.

Changing the narrative now. Time to dial down the fear factor.

People were played.

They can only play the game a certain way for so long before people get weary. Time to change tactics now that they have huge numbers vaccinated.
Old 19-01-2022, 16:49   #3873

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ya, I don't know. Announcing plans just as the curve indicates it is lessening and at the same time decrying the roller coaster of openings and closing. Personally I would rather suck it up a bit longer rather than have to go through another round of restrictions. But government's gonna government I guess.
Old 19-01-2022, 17:59   #3874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Ya, I don't know. Announcing plans just as the curve indicates it is lessening and at the same time decrying the roller coaster of openings and closing. Personally I would rather suck it up a bit longer rather than have to go through another round of restrictions. But government's gonna government I guess.
Seems to me that Ontario did exactly the same thing at nearly the same time last year. This led pretty directly to the province being awash in the third wave.

Optimism-bias is a wonderful thing, but reality doesn't care if we see glasses 1/2 full or 1/2 empty. So yeah... I think any significant opening up at this point is foolish. Perhaps in three weeks, once hospitalizations have definitely started to come down (assuming they do), then maybe. But opening up significantly at this point seems needlessly foolish.

What's the saying... "Fool me once, shame on you. But fool me twice, shame on me." This virus has managed to fool us at least twice already. If we make it a third, well... what comes after shame?
Old 19-01-2022, 18:07   #3875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
This is legalized child abuse. Minors are incapable of making an informed decision. Child infection rates are so low that they are practically non existent. Jabbing children with toxins is in no way necessary. Any parent that would allow this ought to be charged with child abuse.

Isn't this the same "response" some folks had to asking children to use masks? You know, to try to help them help each other from spreading the disease from them to their elderly grandparents, for example? Even if said elderly grandparents did NOT have any comorbidities, were not overweight, didn't smoke, exercised, had good Vit C & D levels, etc., i.e., otherwise good and healthy.

And when the kids came home with the bug, the old folks died.

In a tangential note, in another thread about Adhesives, I came across this contribution:
Quote:
One of the guys who comes for Friday night happy hour at our little sailing club had his knee replacement surgery closed with super glue. No staples at all. Sure makes for a tidy mend. He did have steri-strips over the incision for a while. So, for a first aid sort of situation, I would make butterfly bandaids, to use to support the glue bond, and close the wound as quickly as possible (keeps swelling down).

Don't try crazy glue for something inside the mouth, like repairing a denture, though, because saliva's enzymes attack it.
Could use some for the deniers here, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 19-01-2022, 18:14   #3876

Quote:
Seems to me that Ontario did exactly the same thing at nearly the same time last year. This led pretty directly to the province being awash in the third wave.

Optimism-bias is a wonderful thing, but reality doesn't care if we see glasses 1/2 full or 1/2 empty. So yeah... I think any significant opening up at this point is foolish. Perhaps in three weeks, once hospitalizations have definitely started to come down (assuming they do), then maybe. But opening up significantly at this point seems needlessly foolish.

What's the saying... "Fool me once, shame on you. But fool me twice, shame on me." This virus has managed to fool us at least twice already. If we make it a third, well... what comes after shame?

All speculation. No science to back it up. The characteristics of omicron change the situation. It is well known that cases are generally mild. This means that it is quite safe for healthy people to risk infection, recover, and establish natural immunity. This opens an opportunity to drop restrictions and get everything back to normal. There may be an increase in cases initially, but most would be no more severe than the common cold, nothing to fear. Such a plan could be a hard sell though to a public who is conditioned to believe that every case could be fatal. Restrictions may only be causing the bug to hang around longer. A blow out of cases might be the formula to starve the bug out of existence.
Old 19-01-2022, 18:41   #3877

Looking at the actual data, instead of made-up fantasies about Omicron, one can see that it has resulted in the largest wave -- BY FAR -- of hospital cases in Ontario.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/coronavirustracker/

There is the slightest hint of a peak now, but there is no statistically sound trend yet. Perhaps in a few weeks, but at this point the slight dip could easily be noise.

Luckily (or sadly), it is the unvaccinated which continue to be hospitalized at the highest rate. Although happily, our hard-core anti-vaxx numbers seem to be down to around 10%, according to a recent national poll: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...m+19+02+22.pdf

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...ast7&map=pt#a7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 21.28.59 .jpg
Views:	71
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	251523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 21.38.11 .png
Views:	76
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	251524  

Old 19-01-2022, 18:43   #3878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Isn't this the same "response" some folks had to asking children to use masks? You know, to try to help them help each other from spreading the disease from them to their elderly grandparents, for example? Even if said elderly grandparents did NOT have any comorbidities, were not overweight, didn't smoke, exercised, had good Vit C & D levels, etc., i.e., otherwise good and healthy.

In a tangential note, in another thread about Adhesives, I came across this contribution:

Could use some for the deniers here, too.

Wearing a mask deprives the body of vital oxygen levels. Exhaled CO2 remains in void space between mask and face, and gets inhaled again. Constant mask wearing is detrimental. Masks are excellent transmitters of disease. The warm moist environment is a haven to microbes. When they are touched and stored in pockets, purses, etc., they cross contaminate. In addition, few people change masks often and few bother to wash them often. It is impossible to regulate mask hygiene.

According to internist, cardiologist, and epidemiologist, Dr. Peter McCullough, non symptomatic people do not transmit.

The super glue solution for wounds is a good one. Been known to a lot of people for years.
Old 19-01-2022, 18:58   #3879

Global: PBO report questions Liberals’ case to spend billions in planned stimulus

Quote:
Budget officer Yves Giroux’s report released Wednesday morning said those benchmarks, largely tied to the labour market, appear to have been met. He said that suggests any stimulus should be wound down before the fiscal year ends in March.

Giroux added that the rationale for the planned stimulus of up to $100 billion no longer exists, unless the government has changed the policy yardsticks.
Old 19-01-2022, 19:15   #3880

[QUOTE=Dieseldude;3558058]Wearing a mask deprives the body of vital oxygen levels. Exhaled CO2 remains in void space between mask and face, and gets inhaled again. Constant mask wearing is detrimental. Masks are excellent transmitters of disease. The warm moist environment is a haven to microbes. When they are touched and stored in pockets, purses, etc., they cross contaminate. In addition, few people change masks often and few bother to wash them often. It is impossible to regulate mask hygiene.

According to internist, cardiologist, and epidemiologist, Dr. Peter McCullough, non symptomatic people do not transmit.

The super glue solution for wounds is a good one. Been known to a lot of people for years. But as a rude COVID propagandists, you had to misapply it in ad hominem fashion to discredit opposition. Amazing how naive the COVID zombies are. They have no idea that they are on the strings of puppet masters who control them by fear and intimidation. It is clear to see who the loser of an argument is. They will be the one hurling insults and personal attacks because they have run out of logic.
Old 19-01-2022, 19:23   #3881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

You're talking to a wall. Our pet COVID deniers here don't give a hoot about children, or what they've been missing because schools keep closing, they can't get back to activities with their friends, they're isolated from relatives, etc. Activities that would be safer for everyone, children included, once they get vaccinated.

Kids are just pawns in their jihad against COVID vaccination and other precautions.
Old 19-01-2022, 19:48   #3882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You're talking to a wall. Our pet COVID deniers here don't give a hoot about children, or what they've been missing because schools keep closing, they can't get back to activities with their friends, they're isolated from relatives, etc. Activities that would be safer for everyone, children included, once they get vaccinated.

Kids are just pawns in their jihad against COVID vaccination and other precautions.

If you would remove your blinders, you will realize that there never was a need for school closings. Even Dr. Faucci in Nov. 2020 said to open the schools and close the bars.
https://news.yahoo.com/close-the-bar...203451597.html

It is extremely rare for children to contact COVID. It is the government that is abusing children as pawns. If the schools were to fully open tomorrow, you would see only a tiny number of of cases, and most of those would be as mild as the common cold. The odds of a child being hit by a bus are probably greater than them dying of COVID.
Old 20-01-2022, 05:05   #3883

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Except it's not just in NY. The policy change in public messaging regarding hospital admissions with/for covid is also happening in other states and in Canada, too. Why?

My guess: Manipulation of public perception on the severity of the pandemic.

Changing the narrative now. Time to dial down the fear factor.

People were played.

While there is, as always, politics behind everything, where we (US & Canada, at least, and looks like QLD too) are now is that communities just can't lose any more businesses, and the government can't float people anymore.

We've lost three of our favorite restaurants; one more summer and the rest will be gone. Of course, it's not just restaurants- somebody told me that for a long time shopping malls and bowling alleys were closed too.

The economics of the crisis mean that we're not going back to where we were in March 2021, no matter how bad the next mutation is. Can't afford to. Beside which, and it's true from my observation, people have had enough of being cooped up and are willing to take risks to enjoy life.

The statistics are being played to match the economically-driven strategy. I suppose if I were a politician I'd do the same: same outcome either way, but at least I'd look better- no harm done, and it's free.

But if we get ONE MORE friggin' mutation and take a step back I'm going to go nuts. There are places to revisit and things to eat in Canada.
Old 20-01-2022, 05:49   #3884
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Looking at the actual data, instead of made-up fantasies about Omicron, one can see that it has resulted in the largest wave -- BY FAR -- of hospital cases in Ontario.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/coronavirustracker/

There is the slightest hint of a peak now, but there is no statistically sound trend yet. Perhaps in a few weeks, but at this point the slight dip could easily be noise.

Luckily (or sadly), it is the unvaccinated which continue to be hospitalized at the highest rate. Although happily, our hard-core anti-vaxx numbers seem to be down to around 10%, according to a recent national poll: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...m+19+02+22.pdf

Take a closer look at the so called data you post. You are being played.
Quote:
Figure 5.
Distribution
of confirmed COVID-19 cases reported to PHAC by vaccination status as of January 01, 2021
By using the numbers back through Jan 1 2021, (when hardly anyone was vaccinated) they are able to paint these graphs.
Look:
Quote:
Vaccination status data
Hospitalizations

This is a new data collection and the data quality will continue to improve as hospitals continue to submit data.

In order to understand the vaccination status of patients currently hospitalized, a new data collection process was developed and this may cause discrepancies between other hospitalization numbers being collected using a different data collection process.

Data on patients in ICU are being collected from two different data sources with different extraction times and public reporting cycles. The existing data source (Critical Care Information System, CCIS) does not have vaccination status.
https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data/hospitalizations
The existing data source (Critical Care Information System, CCIS) does not have vaccination status.
What does this mean?
It means that you have been played. You also link to an opinion poll. Public opinion (of people that have been manipulated) is not science, it is psychology.
Advocating for children (and soon babies) to get this untested poison in their arms is pure evil. The real science doesn't support it. We are being manipulated and lied to. At least a few of you seem to be waking up somewhat to this fact. I can't see how whatever pittance you get for writing this crap is worth advocating for forced legalized child abuse and outright murder.
Old 20-01-2022, 06:15   #3885

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Concern, uncertainty, seeking community. A place to check your own understanding or address doubts with others.

Speaking personally, I don't actually do much social media. No Facebook, no Twitter, etc. CF is pretty much the only online forum/group I frequent, because (...don't get any swelled heads out there) it's closest to my real-time boating community, and in general, people here are pretty sensible and worth sharing thoughts with, even if there are some sharp political disagreements.

Gotta agree with you on social media. I've avoided them too. When free discussion is censored, there is not much point. CF has some good people. But like any public form, it has a lot of anthropomorphic climate change believers. It also has a lot who believe the official narrative on COVID. Guess it is understandable. People tend to believe everything that they see on TV. Not that these people are not entitled to their own views, but many are extremely rude. They have a need to insult their opposition. When their logic fails, they stoop to bully tactics to appease their own ego. The problem is not only amongst members. The moderators have been censoring postings just to appease a few whiners. CF is being reduced to a one sided "woke" style ghetto.