Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 23-01-2022, 09:03   #4036

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Perhaps actually knowing answer to "Who is Steve Patterson?" should be a prerequisite to participating in this thread?
I'm often on the chesterfield when I hear him
Old 23-01-2022, 09:05   #4037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

If you actually did any research you'd learn that this oft-repeated talking point of the anti-crowd is not true. Current research is NOT finding a correlation between severe Covid-19 outcomes and obesity. In fact, I posted some of this research over in the https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3559767 thread.

Tell us how you think respiratory viruses spread ... do they teleport? Is it magic? Please, enlighten us. This is basic biology.
This is from your reference:

Therefore, diseases such as chronic respiratory disease, diabetes, hypertension, chronic kidney disease, and cardiovascular disease are risk factors for severe illness and death of COVID-19 patients, which is consistent with the results of this meta-analysis.
A previous study reported that BMI was independently associated with the severity of COVID-19 in a multivariable analysis. However, we cannot found this association due to the limited data. In our enrolled studies, the association between BMI and COVID-19 was not evaluated, and more research data were needed to investigate this association.

So if you actually read your own post, you'll likely realize that it doesn't match your interpretation.

They're not saying obesity isn't a factor, they're saying that they didn't study that association. But those other diseases that they're associating a higher risk of covid with ARE related to obesity. So the math isn't so hard.

As for how the virus spreads, I believe I stated that it's via aerosol, which is not exclusive to coughing or sneezing. Which is also why an N95 mask is more effective than surgical masks in preventing transmission.
Old 23-01-2022, 09:06   #4038

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Perhaps each of us could declare our SIN to a neutral Moderator designated as Gatekeeper for this thread
Old 23-01-2022, 09:14   #4039

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
Perhaps each of us could declare our SIN to a neutral Moderator designated as Gatekeeper for this thread
Unfortunately I believe both Canadian and US SINs are 9 digits - although the parsing is different.
Old 23-01-2022, 09:15   #4040

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
Are you suggesting that he without SIN should cast the first stone?
Old 23-01-2022, 09:26   #4041

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
This is from your reference:

Therefore, diseases such as chronic respiratory disease, diabetes, hypertension, chronic kidney disease, and cardiovascular disease are risk factors for severe illness and death of COVID-19 patients, which is consistent with the results of this meta-analysis.
A previous study reported that BMI was independently associated with the severity of COVID-19 in a multivariable analysis. However, we cannot found this association due to the limited data. In our enrolled studies, the association between BMI and COVID-19 was not evaluated, and more research data were needed to investigate this association.

So if you actually read your own post, you'll likely realize that it doesn't match your interpretation.

They're not saying obesity isn't a factor, they're saying that they didn't study that association. But those other diseases that they're associating a higher risk of covid with ARE related to obesity. So the math isn't so hard.
First, I see you cherry-picked the one you liked. Why didn't you quote the other one here. Oh, I know... The other study cited DOES address the question, and does not find a correlation. The one you picked says it cannot find a correlation due to lack of data. I even bolded that part for folks like you. I guess I need to explain what access to limited data also means.

Quote:
This means that once COVID-19 patients are critically ill, typically requiring ICU care, gender and increased BMI do no longer represent independent risk factors for increased mortality.
And once again, you failed to understand what I clearly wrote. I said "Current research is NOT finding a correlation between severe Covid-19 outcomes and obesity." I DID NOT say there isn't one. I said, as a counter to the common claim some keep making, that in these most recent studies, researchers are not finding one.

Quote:
As for how the virus spreads, I believe I stated that it's via aerosol, which is not exclusive to coughing or sneezing. Which is also why an N95 mask is more effective than surgical masks in preventing transmission.
Agreed. I said so as well (in case that's something else you missed). I also stated:

Quote:
While asymptomatic individuals can spread it through normal exhalation, the principle mechanism is through forceful exhalation; i.e coughing and sneezing and the like. So, it is symptomatic virus carriers who are the primary sources of spread.
Old 23-01-2022, 09:28   #4042

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
If it weren't such an existential topic it would be good fun - except for the personal attacks. It reminds me of high school debating competitions! Or "The Debaters". I wonder if we could get Steve Patterson as our moderator?

That would be a lot more fun
Old 23-01-2022, 09:42   #4043

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Unfortunately I believe both Canadian and US SINs are 9 digits - although the parsing is different.
We all have sins - - some many more than others - - but Americans don't have SINs.

Now, SSNs are a different matter.
Old 23-01-2022, 09:46   #4044

Quote:
Are you suggesting that he without SIN should cast the first stone?
Love it!
Old 23-01-2022, 09:47   #4045

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
We all have sins - - some many more than others - - but Americans don't have SINs.

Now, SSNs are a different matter.
I stand corrected!
Old 23-01-2022, 09:50   #4046

Another point in the "vaccination vs obesity" debate: to transition from morbidly obese to more normal parameters requires 6+ months of medically-supervised dieting and exercise, sometimes drugs, and in extreme cases, bariatric surgery. To become fully vaccinated, you need to make 3 usually short trips to a clinic/pharmacy/doctor's office, 3 teeny jabs in the arm, and 3 x 15 minutes of a post shot wait.

I daresay that losing a lot of weight is at least as medically risky as getting a COVID vaccination.

So they're really not comparable.
Old 23-01-2022, 09:53   #4047

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

I daresay that losing a lot of weight is at least as medically risky as getting a COVID vaccination.

So they're really not comparable.
and nothing like the success rate of vaccinations...
Old 23-01-2022, 10:22   #4048

A friend just sent me this:

This is an interesting risk assessment tool for planning meetings and gatherings. It told me my upcoming dinner with 5 friends is low risk.

I'm not sure which link works better:

https://covidvisitrisk.com/
https://covidvisitrisk.com/riskscore-english.html
Old 23-01-2022, 11:53   #4049

Cross Country Checkup today is discussing the pandemic across Canada - and why the vaccination rate among children 5 - 12 is so low. It might be one call-in show with some intelligence behind it and worth listening to.
Old 23-01-2022, 13:25   #4050

Quote:
Cross Country Checkup today is discussing the pandemic across Canada - and why the vaccination rate among children 5 - 12 is so low. It might be one call-in show with some intelligence behind it and worth listening to.
Maybe. And CBC is usually good at weeding out the complete nutters from their call-in shows, so it should be interesting. But I don't have the patience any more for listening to those shows. So I'll look for the executive summary tomorrow.

It may very well be that many vaccinated parents don't see the need to vaccinate kids for what is (hopefully) a temporary pandemic footing. It is what it is... if there's a big surge in children's hospitalizations, the uptake will increase.