Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 25-01-2022, 13:08   #4156

Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

AK said: "Not sure why Canadian brewers don't produce any IPA, but they don't seem to?"

Oh, but they do! Surely, if you are in Alaska, you must stray into Super,Natural BC now and then?

Here you go: Buy Domestic & International Beer | BCLIQUOR

21 pages of beer, all neatly arranged alphabetically. You might like to try a "Shipwreck" Ale.

If you cannot find a decent ale in BC it can only be because the guv'mint liquor stores specialize in flogging booze to the ignorant. And therefore they sell more by putting Coors and Budweiser on prominent display.

Cultural diffusion is an awful thing :-)!

TP
Old 25-01-2022, 13:18   #4157

Seems that around here about 30% of the craft beers ARE IPAs. I'm told that ales are easier/faster to brew than lagers and pilseners. Ok by me... I like IPAs

(IPAs got me through this time of COVID, to keep it topical)
Old 25-01-2022, 13:20   #4158

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
AK said: "Not sure why Canadian brewers don't produce any IPA, but they don't seem to?"

Oh, but they do! Surely, if you are in Alaska, you must stray into Super,Natural BC now and then?

Here you go: Buy Domestic & International Beer | BCLIQUOR

21 pages of beer, all neatly arranged alphabetically. You might like to try a "Shipwreck" Ale.

If you cannot find a decent ale in BC it can only be because the guv'mint liquor stores specialize in flogging booze to the ignorant. And therefore they sell more by putting Coors and Budweiser on prominent display.

Cultural diffusion is an awful thing :-)!

TP
Let's not confuse ordinary ales and IPA's.
Old 25-01-2022, 13:22   #4159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I get the impression that there are many of us in that boat (again to stay on topic )
Old 25-01-2022, 13:43   #4160

Boat: Beneteau/343

I’m pro vax, pro mandate, and I’d like to believe susceptible to new information. I was recently directed to this document from Alberta where table 3 shows that among recent infections, the vaccinated are getting the disease and hospitalized in greater numbers. The rest of the document shows what we’d expect where the vaccinated are much more likely to survive. Anyone know what is going on?

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes

Numerous other public health sites show what I would have expected.
Old 25-01-2022, 13:47   #4161

Quote:
I'm partial to Yuengling and Sam Adams US beers. And the first decent craft beers I ever had were in Marin County (north of Sanfran) in the early 90s
Over the last 30 years, the American beer industry has become unrecognizable from most of the 20th century. You have to really want to drink crap beer. Nearly every town has one or more or even a LOT more places to find great beers.
Old 25-01-2022, 14:03   #4162

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
I’m pro vax, pro mandate, and I’d like to believe susceptible to new information. I was recently directed to this document from Alberta where table 3 shows that among recent infections, the vaccinated are getting the disease and hospitalized in greater numbers. The rest of the document shows what we’d expect where the vaccinated are much more likely to survive. Anyone know what is going on?

This has been covered numerous times in this thread.

Yes, more vaccinated people are getting infected than unvaccinated - because, here in Canada, there are FAR more vaccinated people than unvaccinated. If, for example, of one hundred people, 80 are vaccinated and 20 are not, and of the vaccinated 50% are likely to be infected, while among the unvaccinated, 80% are likely to get infected, you will have 40 vaccinated people infected vs only 16 unvaccinated getting infected.

The numbers used in the preceding example are not far off the mark here in Canada.

What is important is not the absolute number of vaccinated people getting infected vs. the absolute number of unvaccinated getting infected, but the RATE of infection in each group - expressed as a percentage, cases per thousand, per hundred thousand, per million, etc.

This distinction is more important here in Canada where 80% of people are vaccinated than it is in the US where only 60% are. If it were 50-50, it wouldn't matter which model you chose to use.

Also important to note is that vaccinated people are FAR less likely to get seriously ill and require hospitalization than are the unvaccinated - thus conserving our precious health care system and resources.

(The percentages in the reference you cite are the percentages of that particular category of the group being considered, all of whom are infected, not a percentage of the general population).
Old 25-01-2022, 14:15   #4163

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sailor View Post
Could be my fault. My most recent travels up and down the Alcan have been during covid, so I was not doing a really extensive search, rather just what I found at the local stores.
It's certainly true that craft brews are more commonly found in larger areas. Smaller places remain dominated by the same old boring crap. And certainly not all pubs will have IPAs on tap, especially smaller ones. Gotta sell what people buy, and most people still prefer their boring suds to ones with taste.

I note that the Yukon liquor stores list 27 different IPAs in their list. BC liquor stores are ripe with them.
Old 25-01-2022, 14:21   #4164

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Seems that around here about 30% of the craft beers ARE IPAs. I'm told that ales are easier/faster to brew than lagers and pilseners. Ok by me... I like IPAs

Whaddya me "got"?!? What's this past-tense thing?!? It's still getting me through!

In fact, it's just about beer time here in Ottawa. I've got three different IPAs in the fridge right now. Which one should I start with...?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 17.20.54 .jpg
Views:	66
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	251952  
Old 25-01-2022, 14:41   #4165

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

I recently returned from Kona (tough duty, but somebody has to help the tourist industry!).

We were there when the thankfully small tsunami from Tonga hit the Islands. At the time, this was what I was drinking. Coincidence?

Note that the Hawaiian app that allows vaccinated people to enter without quarantine was about as challenging to fill out as the ArriveCan app I did to enter Canada.

EDIT: For some reason the image doesn't show up when I view this on my phone? For the record, I was drinking "Tsunami IPA" from Hilo Brewing Co.

Old 25-01-2022, 15:04   #4166
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:

The archived version of that page from a few weeks ago:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220107...ccine-outcomes

Look at figure 11. See the spike in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in the newly inoculated? They are counting these as unvaccinated cases yet they had taken the vaccine. This is trickery as it shifts partially vaccinated hospitalizations and deaths to the unvaccinated. The Pfizer trial used the same tactic, they ignored all of the covid like events 2 weeks after the shot. Alberta removed this info from their site but it is still there in the archive. It throws a big shadow on the integrity of the data.
Old 25-01-2022, 15:44   #4167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
This has been covered numerous times in this thread.

Yes, more vaccinated people are getting infected than unvaccinated - because, here in Canada, there are FAR more vaccinated people than unvaccinated. If, for example, of one hundred people, 80 are vaccinated and 20 are not, and of the vaccinated 50% are likely to be infected, while among the unvaccinated, 80% are likely to get infected, you will have 40 vaccinated people infected vs only 16 unvaccinated getting infected.

The numbers used in the preceding example are not far off the mark here in Canada.

What is important is not the absolute number of vaccinated people getting infected vs. the absolute number of unvaccinated getting infected, but the RATE of infection in each group - expressed as a percentage, cases per thousand, per hundred thousand, per million, etc.

This distinction is more important here in Canada where 80% of people are vaccinated than it is in the US where only 60% are. If it were 50-50, it wouldn't matter which model you chose to use.

Also important to note is that vaccinated people are FAR less likely to get seriously ill and require hospitalization than are the unvaccinated - thus conserving our precious health care system and resources.

(The percentages in the reference you cite are the percentages of that particular category of the group being considered, all of whom are infected, not a percentage of the general population).
That makes sense. If everyone is vaccinated, then every remaining case is a breakthrough case.

Thanks.
Old 25-01-2022, 15:49   #4168
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Whaddya me "got"?!? What's this past-tense thing?!? It's still getting me through!

In fact, it's just about beer time here in Ottawa. I've got three different IPAs in the fridge right now. Which one should I start with...?

That second one is LE's logo!
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ect-62570.html
Cropped out American IPA
I like the citrihop session IPA from Costco. $20.00/case. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/pr...brewerburgundy
Old 25-01-2022, 18:20   #4169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Beer in cans. Ugh.
Old 25-01-2022, 18:24   #4170

Quote:
That makes sense. If everyone is vaccinated, then every remaining case is a breakthrough case.

Thanks.
Yup. You're welcome!