Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 25-01-2022, 18:35   #4171

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Beer in cans. Ugh.
Poured from the can to a proper mug/glass ... never drink from a can.

Cans are so much easier to manage on board. The trash compactor (me) can flatten cans. Bottles ... not so much.

I prefer to buy my beer via growler, but Covid has put the stops to this in most places as well. Oh the sacrifices
Old 25-01-2022, 18:46   #4172

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Poured from the can to a proper mug/glass ... never drink from a can.

Cans are so much easier to manage on board. The trash compactor (me) can flatten cans. Bottles ... not so much.

I prefer to buy my beer via growler, but Covid has put the stops to this in most places as well. Oh the sacrifices
Beer FROM a can. Ugh!
Old 25-01-2022, 19:40   #4173

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
It was provided in an earlier post, hence the "IIRC".

I'm going boating for the day in a few minutes, so will chime in later.
Ahhh...that was a rare, warm (2C), light wind day on BC's north coast

None of this CC (covid crap) came to mind all day long!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MXT28626.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	251964  
Old 25-01-2022, 19:46   #4174

Quote:
Ahhh...that was a rare, warm (2C), light wind day on BC's north coast

None of this CC (covid crap) came to mind all day long!!
Oh, did you not notice? This is a beer thread now
Old 25-01-2022, 19:51   #4175

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Quote:
Oh, did you not notice? This is a beer thread now
No, I didn't. Skipped over those ones. Quit 12 years ago. Not a drop since. One beer equalled many. It always won. Was looking at an ugly, early death.

Feeling MUCH better now!
Old 25-01-2022, 19:58   #4176

Quote:
No, I didn't. Skipped over those ones. Quit 12 years ago. Not a drop since. One beer equalled many. It always won. Was looking at an ugly, early death.

Feeling MUCH better now!

I hear you. I lost a couple of friends to alcoholism. Tragic.

The picture is gorgeous. Pretty typical of this coast at this time of year.
Old 25-01-2022, 20:09   #4177

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Beer FROM a can. Ugh!
Whiny little thing??

You complaining it wasn't done right?
It's not dishwater, suck it up buttercup.
Best wishes from the North.
Old 25-01-2022, 20:35   #4178

Quote:
Beer FROM a can. Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
Whiny little thing??

You complaining it wasn't done right?
It's not dishwater, suck it up buttercup.
Best wishes from the North.
I should explain.

It's Pavlovian.

I started drinking beer when I started playing college, then adult, rugby (after playing it at school for six years). We would lose 5-7 lbs (fluid loss) in a game and needed to make it up (there weren't the on-field re-hydration breaks in the game that there are now). Water gave you cramps and soft drinks tasted sickeningly sweet such that you tended to throw up. There was no Gatorade in those days so we turned to beer - with it's wonderful electrolyte balance - plus it dulled the pain of the inevitable injuries.

In Premier League, at the end of a game, the trainer would stand just inside the door to the dressing room and hand each of us four beer as we entered. Those would be gone by the time you got your strip off. You'd grab a couple more as you went into the showers and, afterwards, a couple more as you got dressed. We were sponsored by a beer company so there were stacks of the stuff in the dressing room.

Once dressed, we'd head upstairs into the public area of the clubhouse where the players from the other two or three teams of the club (now several more including women's rugby) would be gathered after their games earlier in the day and watching ours. Spouses, girlfriends, etc. would also be there. Then the partying and drinking would REALLY get underway and would last late into the night (Rugby games are played on Saturday, soccer on Sunday, at least around Vancouver. I wonder why? ).

Beer was also available in the clubhouse (for free - we were sponsored) after practices Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

The beer was always bottled. Much more pleasant to drink from than cans (which weren't as popular back then), we had nothing to pour into anyway, and of course, didn't want to waste the time instead of getting on with the drinking.

I'm Pavlovian conditioned to drink beer from bottles. Any other way just doesn't seem right.
Old 26-01-2022, 00:46   #4179

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
I’m pro vax, pro mandate, and I’d like to believe susceptible to new information. I was recently directed to this document from Alberta where table 3 shows that among recent infections, the vaccinated are getting the disease and hospitalized in greater numbers. The rest of the document shows what we’d expect where the vaccinated are much more likely to survive. Anyone know what is going on?

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes

Numerous other public health sites show what I would have expected.
Medical professional don't call them "breaktrough infections" any more, as much of the spread is among the vaccinated.

Some folks still want to demonize the unvaccinated, but there is no evidence pointing at them as the primary means of spread at this point.
Old 26-01-2022, 01:12   #4180

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What conclusion, would that belief lead you to, regarding the overall efficacy of COVID vaccines, on an individual, and societal level?
On balance, COVID Vaccines are mostly:
a] Very harmful
b] Somewhat harmful
c] Somewhat beneficial
d] Very beneficial
e] Irrelevant [why]
f] Other [state simply]

Oh, I think the vaccine is tremendously beneficial. (So choice d]) I'm vaxxed and boosted. I don't think the current variant would be likely to kill me, but it also wouldn't be any fun with no protection.

It's also beneficial at a societal level. More people vaxxed helps slow the spread and keeps the system from getting overwhelmed. That said, it's not required that everyone do it in order to achieve these effects.

What I think is harmful is the political rhetoric trying to blame the unvaccinated for most of the spread of the virus, when that's not at all supported by any data.

I also find harmful the notion that unvaccinated people should be put at the back of the line for health care if resources are tight. It's not the way we handle any other disease. I pointed out that obesity is a contributing factor of many hospitalizations.

When I see people using terms like "anti-vaxxers", it's generally inflammatory, derogatory, and has the intent of marginalizing other people. Those people trying to demonize folks who don't share their political views. It's not the way to win anyone over to their perspective, nor is it designed to do so.
Old 26-01-2022, 05:17   #4181

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's certainly true that craft brews are more commonly found in larger areas. Smaller places remain dominated by the same old boring crap. And certainly not all pubs will have IPAs on tap, especially smaller ones. Gotta sell what people buy, and most people still prefer their boring suds to ones with taste.

I note that the Yukon liquor stores list 27 different IPAs in their list. BC liquor stores are ripe with them.
Definitely not the case here in Ontario. Soo many small towns and hamlets have local micro breweries popping up ( and surviving) over the years and through Covid times. even my small town of 7000ish has its own thriving micro, and every town between me and my boat seems to have its own brewery!

Second wedge - Uxbridge
Old Flame - Port Perry
banther - Brooklin
Brock st. - Whitby
Falcon - Ajax

just to name a few!

soo long since the days of having just the choices at "the beer store" I haven't actually been to that store in over a decade now. Soo much choice!

* there my contribution to the distraction
Old 26-01-2022, 05:23   #4182
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Tara Moriarty, an associate professor,and infectious diseases researcher,at the University of Toronto, has been studying excess deaths in Canada,and how they relate to COVID-19.
She is the lead author for the working group of a peer-reviewed study [1], commissioned by the Royal Society of Canada, on excess deaths during the pandemic.

[1] "Excess All-Cause Mortality During the COVID-19 Epidemic in Canada” ~ by Tara J. Moriarty et al [Royal Society of Canada Task Force on COVID-19]
https://rsc-src.ca/en/covid-19-polic...emic-in-canada

Old 26-01-2022, 05:32   #4183

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I also find harmful the notion that unvaccinated people should be put at the back of the line for health care if resources are tight. It's not the way we handle any other disease. I pointed out that obesity is a contributing factor of many hospitalizations.
I agree with you, We seem to be talking and walking (politically) away from the "UNIVERSALITY" of our single payer healthcare system and the population seems to be OK with it. Soo strange and dangerous!

while we tax Cigrattes heavily as a way to (unsuccessfuly) discourage smoking, this is happening at the front end where you have choice to consume the product or not. We don't in hospital say to those suffering the effects of smoking that they are at the back of the line because of their choice. If we start doing that with Covid, what's next smokers? people who break a bone because of a stupid activity on their part? skin cancer because someone spent "too much time in the sun" (who decides that)
Old 26-01-2022, 07:35   #4184

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
What I think is harmful is the political rhetoric trying to blame the unvaccinated for most of the spread of the virus, when that's not at all supported by any data.
That sentiment has arisen in some quarters of the public... but it is not the official position of any [Canadian] authority.

It is fair to say that - person by person - the unvaccinated person (particularly if they also resist the other measures of masks, distancing, etc) are more of a potential load on the healthcare system.

I don't know of anyone who matters [in Canada] saying that the unvaccinated are responsible for most or all of the spread. You are tilting at windmills here.

Quote:
I also find harmful the notion that unvaccinated people should be put at the back of the line for health care if resources are tight. It's not the way we handle any other disease.
That's not always true, at least in Canada. If you're an alcoholic and have drunk your liver off, you have to stay dry for 6 months in order to get on the transplant list. I know a guy who couldn't quit drinking, and he was denied a new liver. He died.

Anyway most of us agree that for the most part, the unvaccinated shouldn't be denied any care. But when the healthcare system is overloaded, and triaging is being done, and other lifesaving procedures are being denied because of the COVID load...
Quote:
... people trying to demonize folks who don't share their political views. It's not the way to win anyone over to their perspective, nor is it designed to do so.
Correct. But there ARE antivaxxers and those who downplay or deny COVID in our midst, just the same.

CF ain't the UN; nothing gets settled here (except boat problems).
Old 26-01-2022, 07:55   #4185

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I agree with you, We seem to be talking and walking (politically) away from the "UNIVERSALITY" of our single payer healthcare system and the population seems to be OK with it. Soo strange and dangerous!

while we tax Cigrattes heavily as a way to (unsuccessfuly) discourage smoking, this is happening at the front end where you have choice to consume the product or not. We don't in hospital say to those suffering the effects of smoking that they are at the back of the line because of their choice. If we start doing that with Covid, what's next smokers? people who break a bone because of a stupid activity on their part? skin cancer because someone spent "too much time in the sun" (who decides that)
Is the reason for this sentiment meant to be punitive on the part of folks or feeling they are financially subsidizing those unvaccinated I wonder?