Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 26-01-2022, 15:05   #4216

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
You'd better stick with the beer discussion boys because your Vaccine Cult echo chamber here is about to crumble. An opinion piece published last week in the Globe and Mail has just derailed everything all of you have been viciously fighting for... the suppression of dissenting information, mandates, denial of early treatments and their discussion, blaming the unvaccinated for the spread of covid and, the big one, that vaccinating everybody will get us out of this mess...

Whether the author is correct or not is of no matter. What is of immense importance is that it was published in a Canadian national daily. The narrative is being changed from top down, gentlemen, and the G&M is front running it. Brace yourselves, your opinions are about to become marginalized.

Vaccines are a tool, not a silver bullet. If we’d allowed more scientific debate, we would have realized this earlier

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...re-scientific/
You do realize people are more likely to listen to you if you acted a little less like a belligerent? I just don't get the urge to be obnoxious... on any side of the matter.
Old 26-01-2022, 15:07   #4217

Quote:

Whether the author is correct or not is of no matter.

That encapsulates just about everything you've been promoting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 26-01-2022, 15:15   #4218

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That encapsulates just about everything you've been promoting.
You really don't get it, do you. Whether the author is correct is of no matter because the G&M, like other major mainstream media, is a propaganda tool of the state. The fact that this piece WAS ALLOWED to be published is the telling point.
Old 26-01-2022, 15:28   #4219

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K

You really don't get it, do you. Whether the author is correct is of no matter because the G&M, like other major mainstream media, is a propaganda tool of the state. The fact that this piece WAS ALLOWED to be published is the telling point.

Greg,

I do not understand this part: "The fact that this piece WAS ALLOWED to be published is the telling point."

What does that mean?

Don't the people who own the publication have a choice of what they print?

Hasn't even the NYT been accused (rightly, I believe) of doing too much bothsiderisms?

Please help us understand your point here. Thanks.

The conclusion of the piece is this, for those who didn't read the entire link from

Greg:

Till then, let’s give infallibility the day off. We have some ingenuity and some tools in our tool kit, none perfect, but if we use the whole kit, instead of just the hammer, we might be better for it. That goes for how we treat the virus, and how we treat each other. And for those scientists among us – those strange creatures, always reappraising! – there is comfort in knowing that after two years of hard work, we have a new narrative, or picture of our situation, which though imperfect, is more nuanced and likely closer to the truth.

Yup, nuance. Seemed to be lacking from certain "leadership" who promoted horse dewormer as a cure and not what scientists were recommending, along with the nuance of the vaccine being PART of solution which includes masking and social distancing and still should.

AFAIK, this thread has had more nuance than most, although derailed sometimes by deniers.

PS - I'm not Beer Brett Kavanaugh, but I like beer (Guinness & porter, mostly).
Old 26-01-2022, 15:49   #4220

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Greg,

PS - I'm not Beer Brett Kavanaugh, but I like beer (Guinness & porter, mostly).

Wow! You ARE hard core! Usually you have to be weaned off your mother's milk onto Guinness to like the stuff!
Old 26-01-2022, 16:24   #4221

In answer to "....the G&M, like other major mainstream media, is a propaganda tool of the state.", said by GregK, StuJ said: "Don't the people who own the publication have a choice of what they print?"

Oh dear, Stu!

How could we, thee and me, right here in Canada, have missed that every Monday David Thompson and David Walmsley trot off to Ottawa to have lunch at the Rideau while being given their walking orders for the week by Trudeau the Lesser, our caudillo pro tem, when that is so very obvious to people so far away, even, as the coast of Spain :-)?

Are there some, perhaps, who confuse the Globe and Mail with the Völkischer Beobachter?

TP
Old 26-01-2022, 17:15   #4222

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post

Are there some, perhaps, who confuse the Globe and Mail with the Völkischer Beobachter?

TP

OK, you win the Internet for today! Good one!
Old 26-01-2022, 18:27   #4223

Quote:
Uh-huh. What Stu said.

Quote:
What is of immense importance is that it was published in a Canadian national daily. The narrative is being changed from top down, gentlemen, and the G&M is front running it. Brace yourselves, your opinions are about to become marginalized.

Vaccines are a tool, not a silver bullet. If we’d allowed more scientific debate, we would have realized this earlier

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...re-scientific/
Sorry, just because I defend COVID vaccination against conspiracy theories and ridiculous assertions doesn't mean I think it's a silver bullet.

It's a mistake to project your own absolutist mindset on others. But a common one, so don't feel too badly about it.

I have lots of time for genuine scientific discussion. Something that's not been forthcoming from you.
Old 26-01-2022, 18:28   #4224

Boat: Rafiki 37

It's amusing, but as usual, our contrarians miss their understanding of Consent that is Manufactured by half. Perhaps he should re-read Chomsky.
Old 26-01-2022, 18:42   #4225

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Uh-huh. What Stu said.

Sorry, just because I defend COVID vaccination against conspiracy theories and ridiculous assertions doesn't mean I think it's a silver bullet.

Perhaps a bronze one. It's been a big help.
Old 26-01-2022, 18:44   #4226

Guess I won't be heading downtown this weekend (I'm in Ottawa for the winter)

CBC: Ottawa police prepare as convoy protesting vaccine mandate heads to nation's capital

Quote:
Police are asking people to avoid unnecessary travel in the downtown core because of the risk of traffic disruptions related to protests.
Old 26-01-2022, 21:36   #4227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's amusing, but as usual, our contrarians miss their understanding of Consent that is Manufactured by half. Perhaps he should re-read Chomsky.

That's rather a rather ironic reference, given the mainstream media's coverage of covid.

I think Chomsky would be siding with the contrarians on this one, as the media clearly has an agenda. And though the agenda may be well-purposed, the media shouldn't lose their objectivity.
Old 26-01-2022, 23:53   #4228

The convoy is the biggest coast to coast event in Canadian history. Every single overpass, turn off, town, city, gas station has 1000 upon 1000’s of people cheering them on. Every town has 100’s of people making sandwiches, coffee, and baking cookies to hand out. I bet this has bigger roadside support then the terry fox run. And it was unplanned and most people still don’t even know it’s Happening. That run has years of advertising.

Wether you agree with it or not. The actual on the ground videos of everyone cheering, helping, offering beds, showers,, free mechanic services, free food, to total strangers are amazing. The news outlets are still basicly ignoring it.
Old 27-01-2022, 05:32   #4229

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
That's rather a rather ironic reference, given the mainstream media's coverage of covid.

I think Chomsky would be siding with the contrarians on this one, as the media clearly has an agenda. And though the agenda may be well-purposed, the media shouldn't lose their objectivity.
It's not hard to know what Chomsky thinks of anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers:

Noam Chomsky says the unvaccinated should just remove themselves from society

His analysis of the spread of mis/disinformation, and the manufacturing of "alternative facts" consent is exactly the point.
Old 27-01-2022, 05:40   #4230

Here's some good news (CBC):
Ontario's crackdown on COVID-19 vaccine medical exemptions seems to be working

Quote:
Ontario's new rules requiring a review of medical exemptions for COVID-19 vaccines seem to be reining in the number of people being granted a waiver from vaccination mandates.

Research by CBC News reveals that 209 medical exemptions have been approved provincewide since a new requirement that they be checked by public health units came into effect earlier this month.

That figure indicates that fewer than one in 50,000 Ontario adults has a valid medical exemption.