Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 07:41   #436

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We are heading back to edmonton Thursday mid day. If you are interested in meeting up for a coffee prior, I'm game. Otherwise hopefully down stream sometime
Hi guys, hope you had a fun meet up last night. We got delayed and are only now heading to Calgary, so won't be there till later this aft or evening. Perhaps next time you come down Chris? Or who knows, I might just decide to head up your way.

I really have no plans. Heck, I don't even know where I'm spending the winter. Ah the life of a homeless vagabond cruiser...
Old 30-07-2020, 07:52   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Destination - are we all sailing to the same destination - with many taking different tracks based on forecasts given by "experts" - but in the end will all arrive at the same place at different days.
Attachment 220344
Here you go. Here's the one I'm sure you meant to post:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 08.49.56 .png
Views:	127
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	220354  
Old 30-07-2020, 07:57   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I'm sorry, you compared the whole of the US to Quebec? ROTFL...
I believe that the graph indicates deaths per capita, i.e., the real mortality rate which after the virus runs its course can be a very reasonable comparative measure of the impact it had. While the virus is active there will be great variances overtime. This virus has a long ways to run yet.

Presently Canada is 23rd in the published list of deaths per capita at 236 per million of population which is about 1/2 the rate of the USA. The USA is ranked 10th in the world at 465 per million.

The database was sorted in descending order of deaths attributed to Covid per million as listed in the far right column.

While the USA has a very high total of cases and deaths it is a considerably lower deaths per capita then some other countries and within the country there is a great deal of difference in positive rates.

Reference snipet copied below.

Reference link here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mortality.PNG
Views:	107
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	220356  
Old 30-07-2020, 09:06   #439

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hi guys, hope you had a fun meet up last night. We got delayed and are only now heading to Calgary, so won't be there till later this aft or evening. Perhaps next time you come down Chris? Or who knows, I might just decide to head up your way.

I really have no plans. Heck, I don't even know where I'm spending the winter. Ah the life of a homeless vagabond cruiser...
All good, if you get the chance ride the can canmore, banff, jasper loop. Gorgeous ride thru the parks and mountains. If not, at least go to banff and back. It's only 1.5 hour there from Calgary.
Old 30-07-2020, 11:37   #440

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
If not, at least go to banff and back. It's only 1.5 hour there from Calgary.
And be sure to take the "old" No. 1 highway. Second best trip I ever made on my bike.
Old 30-07-2020, 14:29   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
And be sure to take the "old" No. 1 highway. Second best trip I ever made on my bike.

Thanks guys, I'll keep this in mind.
Old 30-07-2020, 14:34   #442

Canada has just tightened up the whole "Alaska loophole" situation, making it harder for Americans to disregard Canadian law.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...diens-eng.html

This doesn't mention anything about the waterborne traffic along the west coast, but I assume the same approach will apply there are as well.

It's a real shame the few idiots have spoiled things for the majority of law-respecting Americans. But I guess that's the world we live in.

Quote:
Transiting through Canada to Alaska

As of July 31, 2020, at 12:01 am PDT, stricter rules and additional entry conditions are imposed on travellers transiting through Canada to Alaska for a non-discretionary (essential) purpose.
You may still travel through Canada while in transit to Alaska for non-discretionary (essential) reasons. To do so, you have to enter Canada at one of the following ports of entry:
  • Abbotsford-Huntingdon (British Columbia)
  • Coutts (Alberta)
  • Kingsgate (British Columbia)
  • North Portal (Saskatchewan)
  • Osoyoos (British Columbia)
As well as:
  • be imposed a reasonable period of stay to carry out your transit
  • be required to take the most direct route to your destination and not stop for any leisure or tourism activities including visiting national parks
  • be required to report to the nearest CBSA port of entry to confirm your exit from Canada before entering the United States
The CBSA will issue you a vehicle "hang tag" to attach to your rear view mirror for the duration of our transit. The tag will include the date you must depart Canada as well as information on the conditions imposed upon entry, the Quarantine and Emergencies Acts and a list of public health and safety measures to follow.

You may only make essential stops along the way, including to use facilities, refuel or for essential supplies.

You must follow all requirements outlined in the Public Health Agency of Canada handout that you received when admitted into Canada. You must practice social distancing and wear a non-medical mask or face covering when you are entering Canada and while in transit to your place of departure from Canada, unless you are alone (or with family members) in a private vehicle.
Old 30-07-2020, 18:04   #443

Quote:
Canada has just tightened up the whole "Alaska loophole" situation, making it harder for Americans to disregard Canadian law.

This doesn't mention anything about the waterborne traffic along the west coast, but I assume the same approach will apply there are as well.

It's a real shame the few idiots have spoiled things for the majority of law-respecting Americans. But I guess that's the world we live in.

It's crazy that I even have to say this but... it's about time!!!
Old 30-07-2020, 18:07   #444

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:

Sorry.
Old 30-07-2020, 18:57   #445

A news story on the tightened regs:

It's so unfortunately Canadian authorities felt they had to do this. And the animosity referenced in the news item is deeply troubling. But I think it speak to the reality of how our two nations have responded to the pandemic.
Old 30-07-2020, 19:14   #446

Further to Mike O'Reilly's post, a small matter that may not be obvious to non-BCers: "Indigenous territory" in British Columbia is for the most part what under Canadian Law is known as "unceded territory", i.e. from the indigenous point of view it is "occupied territory" where the ultimate legal power still lies with the tribal Hereditary Chiefs, and their determinations and edicts, from the indigenous point of view, override Canadian Law. Matters not related to covid or to seafaring makes this Federal/Indigenous relationship one of extreme delicacy. Best to let sleeping dogs lie at this time!

Non-Canadian yachtsmen, while permitted, under Canadian Law, to transit Canadian waters directly from a US port of departure (meaning Washington State) to a US (meaning Alaskan) port of destination, CANNOT put in to any marina or any other facility on what we normally consider "Canadian" territory, if that marina or facility is located in unceded territory unless the Hereditary Chiefs of that territory give permission.

It is my opinion that given the recent outbreak in Haida Gwai, Chiefs in every unceded territory along the BC coast with refuse to give such permission. The Chiefs of Haida Gwai are already turning Canadians away!

As Mike said, there is not necessarily going to be congruence between the manner in which the Royal Canadian Mounted Police enforces the new policy on land, and the way the CCG (or the RCMP Marine Division) will enforce it at sea.

However, there is wisdom in paying attention both to the Chiefs and to the Canadian Government. The maximum fine that can be levied for breach of the new regulation is three quarters of a MILLION dollars!

TrentePieds
Old 03-08-2020, 16:53   #447

Another news item on the whole Alaska Loohole issue:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/02/89816...oss-the-border
Old 03-08-2020, 17:17   #448

Here is a different spin on the closed border;

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/u-s-...ends-1.5049421
Old 03-08-2020, 17:52   #449

The concluding line is pretty much how I feel:

Quote:
"The public sentiment towards Americans has become so negative, and I do think it will be a long time before the border is fully reopened," Gallagher said. "That just makes me really sad."
Until the USA can get their act together to contain the outbreak, I don't see how we have much choice. But that just makes me really sad.
Old 05-08-2020, 21:04   #450

There's a whole series of posters put out by Transport Canada on the subject.

(Macblaze pointed this one out):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dont.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	220722