Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 08:14   #481

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Offenders should be registered with CBSA and banned from Canada for life.

This is getting ridiculous.
Maybe not banned for life, but you can be sure they are now in the system. likely they will have to do a lot of very painful paperwork if they ever want to come back to Canada.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:29   #482

If Canadians get banned for life from entering the US for doing something perfectly legal here, they should be banned for life for breaking our laws.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:35   #483

Quote:
If Canadians get banned for life from entering the US for doing something perfectly legal here, they should be banned for life for breaking our laws.
If a Canadian gets thrown in a cockroach-infested cell for an ounce of pot in Turkey should we build a cockroach-infested cell and throw Turks in for said ounce?

I'd rather not sink to the lowest common denominator.

But as it stands I am pretty sure the Average American citizen won't be welcome back. The CBSA have long memories.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:53   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
If a Canadian gets thrown in a cockroach-infested cell for an ounce of pot in Turkey should we build a cockroach-infested cell and throw Turks in for said ounce?

I'd rather not sink to the lowest common denominator.

But as it stands I am pretty sure the Average American citizen won't be welcome back. The CBSA have long memories.
Being banned from entering a country is hardly comparable to being thrown into a cockroach infested cell. Please.

If my friend can be banned from the US because he (foolishly?) admitted to smoking cannabis 30+ years ago while at uni when questioned last year by a CBA agent, I think a little reciprocity is only fair when they are breaking our actual laws.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:04   #485

Quote:
Being banned from entering a country is hardly comparable to being thrown into a cockroach infested cell. Please.
My point that eye for an eye is ridiculous as a policy. And policy that is purely retributive is just a silly. Just because the CBP is becoming increasingly like some sort of bizarre democratically-controlled SS doesn't mean we should sink to that level. Should we be setting up "border checks" 200 miles from the border too? That way lies anarchy, as is increasingly becoming apparent...

The CBSA is empowered to ban Americans (or anyone else) with due consideration. I am happy with that.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...ction-eng.html
Old 09-08-2020, 09:11   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
My point that eye for an eye is ridiculous as a policy. And policy that is purely retributive is just a silly. Just because the CBP is becoming increasingly like some sort of bizarre democratically-controlled SS doesn't mean we should sink to that level. Should we be setting up "border checks" 200 miles from the border too? That way lies anarchy, as is increasingly becoming apparent...

3.5 years ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you.

Today, I need to respectfully disagree.

You can't walk all over people, take advantage of them and expect them to respect you the next day. At some point, those kind people with any shred of self-respect will say enough. Run your kingdom any way you choose but you need to respect the laws of a foreign land - no matter how strong your sense of entitlement is.

We have reached the point of "enough". And then some.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:18   #487

Quote:
3.5 years ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you.

Today, I need to respectfully disagree.

You can't walk all over people, take advantage of them and expect them to respect you the next day. At some point, those kind people with any shred of self-respect will say enough. Run your kingdom any way you choose but you need to respect the laws of a foreign land - no matter how strong your sense of entitlement is.

We have reached the point of "enough". And then some.
Personally I don't disagree.

But if you think a "policy" is going to make the aggregate American psyche "respect" anyone else's sovereignty you are lying to yourself (I know you have been seeing this again and again on the forum). If I was making Canadian international policy, I'd say f@ck 'em — we walk our own line, based on our own value system. Anything else is demeaning and ultimately pissing into the wind.

But I share your frustration and will likely take it out on the next poor American boater I am sharing a beer with in the Broughtons when this is all said and done.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:42   #488

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:

Well now you’re being silly thing of stuff that makes sense.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:55   #489

There are nations in the world that seem to believe that generalized tit for tat is efficacious. We are not one of them! We have a fairly good record of dealing with miscreants on the basis of their specific transgressions and on the basis of how our laws may apply to such specific transgressions.

Let's keep it that way, Please :-)!

TrentePieds
Old 09-08-2020, 11:04   #490

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Are we talking politics now?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:10   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Are we talking politics now?
Nope! No politics.

Simply deciding how to deal with the miscreants (criminals) who break Canadian law (specifically Covid-19 quarantine regulations) while having lied to enter the country our fine country.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:00   #492

Boat: Tartan 33

I guess is one of the problem. This Covid 19 crisis that should be a sanitary crisis became in someway a huge political crisis (at least here in the US).

For sailboats (or boats in general), instead of just stopping people to enter Canada (or the US) the authority could just put a very strict quarantine in the first port of entry. The nationality doesn't make the person more dangerous...
Old 10-08-2020, 10:19   #493

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
I guess is one of the problem. This Covid 19 crisis that should be a sanitary crisis became in someway a huge political crisis (at least here in the US).

For sailboats (or boats in general), instead of just stopping people to enter Canada (or the US) the authority could just put a very strict quarantine in the first port of entry. The nationality doesn't make the person more dangerous...
Said the US resident who cannot go to Europe even by plane......
Old 10-08-2020, 10:31   #494

Boat: Tartan 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Said the US resident who cannot go to Europe even by plane......
I think the difference is the volume...million of people travel by plane each day, I don't think number are comparable for boats.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:39   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
I think the difference is the volume...million of people travel by plane each day, I don't think number are comparable for boats.
The problem being it actually is hard to make policy that is so specific. Arrive by boat? How big? Who monitors quarantine? Which ports? Easier to just keep the border closed.