Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 10:42   #496

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
I think the difference is the volume...million of people travel by plane each day, I don't think number are comparable for boats.

Gee, didn't even The Donald say "One is too many?"

There are now 1,500 people quarantined in BC alone because of party animals.

There is no reason for anyone to get sick and possibly die because of stupidity.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 10-08-2020, 11:26   #497

Boat: Rafiki 37

I see the reaction against Covid precautions, on both sides of the Can/US border, as part of the broader attack on expertise and science that appears to be on the rise everywhere.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:32   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
I think the difference is the volume...million of people travel by plane each day, I don't think number are comparable for boats.
Has nothing to do with volume and all to do with the fact people from south of the border cannot be trusted. At all.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:44   #499

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Has nothing to do with volume and all to do with the fact people from south of the border cannot be trusted. At all.
I think you should probably take a step back and take a deep breath. I know plenty of American boaters and all of them are currently sitting in the San Juans lamenting the loss of BC's cruising grounds. They haven't made any effort to circumvent the rules or find loopholes— they just are waiting for the rules to change.

There are idiots everywhere and yes, the American sense of manifest destiny does seem to push them towards a sense of self entitlement, but no, it's not all of them, not by a long shot. We should avoid making absolute statements no matter how frustrated we are by the yahoos.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:50   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I think you should probably take a step back and take a deep breath. I know plenty of American boaters and all of them are currently sitting in the San Juans lamenting the loss of BC's cruising grounds. They haven't made any effort to circumvent the rules or find loopholes— they just are waiting for the rules to change.

There are idiots everywhere and yes, the American sense of manifest destiny does seem to push them towards a sense of self entitlement, but no, it's not all of them, not by a long shot. We should avoid making absolute statements no matter how frustrated we are by the yahoos.

Sorry, should have been more clear with my statement.

"Those from south of the border who are here currently and entered after the border was closed cannot be trusted. At all."
Old 10-08-2020, 11:52   #501

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Sorry, should have been more clear with my statement.

"Those from south of the border currently who entered after the border was closed cannot be trusted. At all."
Old 10-08-2020, 12:01   #502

Here's a reasoned, reasonable response (very Canadian ):

https://globalnews.ca/video/7134527/...travel-in-b-c/
Old 10-08-2020, 19:10   #503

Quote:
If Canadians get banned for life from entering the US for doing something perfectly legal here, they should be banned for life for breaking our laws.
Well it seems that if an American catches Covid-19 in Canada [or some other foreign country, e.g., Mexico] that they may not be allowed to reenter the USA. Y'all could get stuck with the sick Yanks, Eh.

President Donald Trump wants to temporarily bar US citizens and permanent residents from entering the country if they are suspected of having the coronavirus, The New York Times reported on Monday.

A draft proposal said that if a border official "reasonably believes that the individual either may have been exposed to or is infected with the communicable disease," they could be barred from entering.

The proposal was sent to federal agencies that have until Tuesday to provide feedback.

The president had previously banned nonresidents from several countries, including many European nations from entering the US due to coronavirus concerns.

The Times obtained a copy of the proposal draft and reported that the document clearly says that any order that would block a legal resident or citizen from coming into the country has to "include appropriate protections to ensure that no Constitutional rights are infringed." According to The Times, the document specifically addresses the border with Mexico, a region that Trump has tried to control since the beginning of his first term, as part of a broader agenda to limit immigration. The proposal claims that the coronavirus has strained Mexico's healthcare system and is forcing Mexicans to seek care in the US,

The draft did not specify how long the restriction would last.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-loo...233839852.html

Old 10-08-2020, 19:26   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
...President Donald Trump wants to temporarily bar US citizens and permanent residents from entering the country if they are suspected of having the coronavirus, The New York Times reported on Monday.
I hesitate to even ask this given Trump's history with questionably legal actions, but ... is this even legal? Can any state bar it's own citizens from reentry? Wouldn't this be a clear breach of both American and international law?
Old 10-08-2020, 19:36   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I hesitate to even ask this given Trump's history with questionably legal actions, but ... is this even legal? SURELY YOU JEST! Can any state bar it's own citizens from reentry? YES IT HAS BEEN HAPPENING ALL AROUND THE WORLD WITH COVID CLOSURES OF THE BORDERS INHIBITING REPATRIATIONS.Wouldn't this be a clear breach of both American and international law?
Given the sensitivity of the Covid Containment Threads, best we keep Poly-Ticks to a minimum; perhaps a discussion centered on Maritime Law then.

Could become quite entertaining what with the Canadian Immigration and CBP trying to deport an American across the 49th and the US CBP/ICE agents trying to keep the American in Canada.

Well that's what Canada has a national healthcare system for right? To treat foreigners.

Old 10-08-2020, 19:49   #506

Where have citizens been barred from reentry? Which countries? Certainly not Canada. You're good with research, so show me the facts.

Some countries have enacted laws restricting symptomatic people from accessing air planes or ships. But I don't believe it is legal (either domestically or internationally) to bar a citizen from reentry if they show up at the border.
Old 10-08-2020, 21:23   #507

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Some good news :

https://www.nsbuzz.ca/travel/with-ve...APOBW8fLJCQtOk
Old 11-08-2020, 08:35   #508
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Here's a reasoned, reasonable response (very Canadian ):

https://globalnews.ca/video/7134527/...travel-in-b-c/
Lol, all that was missing was the offer of a cup of tea at the border when discussing things

I do miss that Canadian accent and my family in BC and Alberta, whom we had plans to spend this Sumner together.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:56   #509

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post

Thank you McBlaze.

I am one of those American boaters sitting in my boat just 200 yards south of your border doing all that lamenting. So is everyone else in this marina. We are cruising the San Juans and delighting in them, but they are not the wilds of BC. In this entire summer we have met one couple who contemplated crossing the border "just to see what happens" and they told us that as they approached 49N the US Coast Guard hailed them and asked what the heck they were doing. Turned around and retreated, tail between legs. I've seen three Canadian registered pleasure boats here at the commercial dock, so that shoe fits on the other foot, too.

I get tired of being the "Ugly American". I, and everyone else I know, we are all trying to last through this madness with our shreds of dignity and still go out sailing, the one thing, the one thing that keeps us from going doolally this year. Just as I won't paint all Canadians as the same cookie cutter cartoon figure, I'm asking some of the angrier Canadians to please realize that some of us are just trying to obey they rules and still get through this with some semblance of normalcy.

Rant over.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:07   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
...I get tired of being the "Ugly American". I, and everyone else I know, we are all trying to last through this madness with our shreds of dignity and still go out sailing, the one thing, the one thing that keeps us from going doolally this year. Just as I won't paint all Canadians as the same cookie cutter cartoon figure, I'm asking some of the angrier Canadians to please realize that some of us are just trying to obey they rules and still get through this with some semblance of normalcy.
Well put Red. It pains me to see some of the over reaction from a small number of my fellow citizens. Much like it pains you to see a small number of fellow Americans abuse their privileges up here.

No nation has the corner on idiocy and arrogance. We have our share of such individuals as well. Everyone should take an extra breath and try not to assume the worst all the time. Ultimately we're all in this together.