Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 15:13   #511

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Vaccines & herd immunity. https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/coro...accinetracker/
Old 11-08-2020, 15:48   #512

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Offenders should be registered with CBSA and banned from Canada for life.

This is getting ridiculous.
Reading another thread caused me to look this up:

Quote:
The penalties for not following your quarantine plan once you’re in the country can include

a fine of up to $750,000
6 months of jail time
being found inadmissible, removed from Canada and banned from entering for 1 year
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tml#exemptions

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...s-eng.html#er1
Old 11-08-2020, 15:51   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Right but my understanding at the moment is that i) the RCMP is being very light handed when it comes to dealing with offenders and ii) that means CBSA likely won't even know about any of the offenders - save the worst of the lot.

The vast majority of the people they have caught up with have had zero punishment.
Old 11-08-2020, 16:14   #514

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
...The vast majority of the people they have caught up with have had zero punishment.

You have the data to show this I assume. Please post.

Regardless, if the most effective enforcement is a warning first, then that's great.
Old 11-08-2020, 16:36   #515

I did but cannot find the article. It was about 3 or 4 weeks ago and from the CTV News Toronto website.

They did not use "vast majority", that was my doing but an official had quoted a large number of offenders vs a small number of fines handed out.
Old 11-08-2020, 17:59   #516

I'm fine with a serious warning as the first enforcement step. If that doesn't result in respect for the law, then throw the book at them! But most people are reasonable when given the chance (or incentive ). I have no sympathy for those who remain unreasonable.
Old 11-08-2020, 18:06   #517

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Has anyone seen any studies on Covid cases and environmental factors such as temperature? Are some countries better off because of that and not due to what they have done? From what I have read Covid 19 doesn't behave the same as other corona viruses.
Old 11-08-2020, 21:36   #518

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Right but my understanding at the moment is that i) the RCMP is being very light handed when it comes to dealing with offenders and ii) that means CBSA likely won't even know about any of the offenders - save the worst of the lot.

The vast majority of the people they have caught up with have had zero punishment.
When we flew home at the end of may, we had to do the federally mandated quarantine. We had daily calls from federal and provincial health, and one unannounced visit from the rcmp.
So fairly light in terms of check ups but we were following the guidelines. It was obvious though that we were on their radar.
Old 11-08-2020, 21:50   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
When we flew home at the end of may, we had to do the federally mandated quarantine. We had daily calls from federal and provincial health, and one unannounced visit from the rcmp.
So fairly light in terms of check ups but we were following the guidelines. It was obvious though that we were on their radar.
A member of our extended family is an American with Canadian Permanent Residence status. He crossed into the US for business a couple of months ago, and then came back to Canada. He reports being monitored as well for his 14 day quarantine period.

Canadians are taking this quite seriously. And we have sacrificed significantly to get our infections rates under control. This is why some are reacting so strongly to foreigners flaunting the laws.
Old 11-08-2020, 22:26   #520

Getting the infection rate down at all costs is ridiculous. It's not a simple binary problem and cant be dealt with that way. Going too far with the shutdowns could destroy economies for a generation.
Old 11-08-2020, 22:38   #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Getting the infection rate down at all costs is ridiculous. It's not a simple binary problem and cant be dealt with that way. Going too far with the shutdowns could destroy economies for a generation.
Who said anything about "all costs." THAT is a ridiculous statement. Clearly the Canadian approach has not been binary. But it has taken the pandemic seriously.

What some people don't seem to understand is that you cannot have a functioning economy with an infection like Covid-19 running out of control. This lack of control is what will destroy economies for generations.
Old 11-08-2020, 22:46   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Who said anything about "all costs." THAT is a ridiculous statement. Clearly the Canadian approach has not been binary. But it has taken the pandemic seriously.

What some people don't seem to understand is that you cannot have a functioning economy with an infection like Covid-19 running out of control. This lack of control is what will destroy economies for generations.
This is so true. Sweden didn't impose a lock down but no one is going to go about their day normally with this thing around.

With 40k new cases a day I dont think i'll be lining up at my local Halal cart anytime soon.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sw...did-2020-06-25
Old 11-08-2020, 22:50   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Really? The bleeding hearts feel "one life lost is too many". The Canadian binary solution. The fact is that MILLIONS will die from it. We can't craw under rocks and expect the "essential workers" take all the risk. Life goes on and YOU will be expected to carry your own weight.
Old 12-08-2020, 00:45   #524

Quote:
Really? The bleeding hearts feel "one life lost is too many". The Canadian binary solution. The fact is that MILLIONS will die from it. We can't craw under rocks and expect the "essential workers" take all the risk. Life goes on and YOU will be expected to carry your own weight.
You need to take a good hard look in the mirror mate. It's sad that people can have such a callous take on human life.

We are doing just fine, thank you very much. Lastly, the death and infection tolls reflect exactly what countries have an understanding of the science and facts.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:30   #525

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
The intersting thing about this statement is it reflects a lot of what the American media machine and political discourse is generating and little of what the Canadian one is.

"bleeding hearts" and "one life lost is too many"

"expect the "essential workers" take all the risk"

"YOU will be expected to carry your own weight"

None of this reflects the Canada I am living in nor most of the Canadian media I consume or am forced to consume.