Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2020, 08:01   #526

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
The intersting thing about this statement is it reflects a lot of what the American media machine and political discourse is generating and little of what the Canadian one is.

"bleeding hearts" and "one life lost is too many"

"expect the "essential workers" take all the risk"

"YOU will be expected to carry your own weight"

None of this reflects the Canada I am living in nor most of the Canadian media I consume or am forced to consume.
I'd agree with MacBlaze, as a Canadian, none of us WANT to wear a mask or make the massive changes we made. My region was on lock down and really only got back to a shadow of normal (stage 3) on July 24 ( that's "lock down" from March 26 to July 24). Yes that's 4 months of varying levels of restrictions. On the up side... Yesterday (August 11) my province reported only 33 new cases. That's 33 new cases in a population of 14+ million.

Canada has worked hard (not without its issues) in a coordinated fashion to try to manage this, but generally the media and the messaging has been very positive "WE can get through this..." Which has been a very different message that we ( as Canadians) have seen coming from the U.S. There it seems to all be "I" "me" etc. and no ability (or want) to effectively coordinate between the Feds and the states.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:47   #527

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Really? The bleeding hearts feel "one life lost is too many". The Canadian binary solution. The fact is that MILLIONS will die from it. We can't craw under rocks and expect the "essential workers" take all the risk. Life goes on and YOU will be expected to carry your own weight.

As usual, I have no idea what you're babbling about, and clearly neither do you. Maybe if you craw (sic.) your way out from your little hole you might see the world for what it actually is.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:08   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
As usual, I have no idea what you're babbling about, and clearly neither do you. Maybe if you craw (sic.) your way out from your little hole you might see the world for what it actually is.
Hey Mike,
Don’t hold back...tell me what you really think...LOL
Old 12-08-2020, 09:14   #529

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Hey Mike,
Too subtle? .

I know... I shouldn't sink to his level. But this morning I'm just not willing to give it a pass. Maybe after I've had more coffee.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:41   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Too subtle? .

I know... I shouldn't sink to his level. But this morning I'm just not willing to give it a pass. Maybe after I've had more coffee.

I'm on "My Second Cup of Coffee" and find kmac's contributions much like "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" since "If You Could Read My Mind" you'd know that I believe that you simply can't have an economy at all with dead people.

Sure, Americans, just go ahead and pack all your little children into schools and see what happens. At then at the same time eliminating all financial assistance to YOUR OWN citizens.

kmac, it's not the economy, it's a public health issue, first and foremost.

I miss my sailing friends from Washington. We'd meet in the San Juans and here in the Gulf Islands. One friend makes the world's best brisket. Think I miss that, much? Yummy.

But we all agree that health is critical and foremost to ANY kind of future economy. And to life itself, that is. We are all appalled at the inconceivably inane approach by certain factions in the US that debunk science and reason. And math. It doesn't need a link to find statistics about the per capita difference in cases and deaths between Canada and the US.

And who those "deniers" are is pretty clear.

wear a mask, wash Your hands, watch your distance

be kind be calm be safe

“Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.”
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 12-08-2020, 09:47   #531

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Hey Mike,
Of course he'll get away with it. I just hope his house sitting gig comes thru for him this winter----I'd hate to see him out in the Canadian cold.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:52   #532

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Further to Mike O'Reilly's post, a small matter that may not be obvious to non-BCers: "Indigenous territory" in British Columbia is for the most part what under Canadian Law is known as "unceded territory", i.e. from the indigenous point of view it is "occupied territory" where the ultimate legal power still lies with the tribal Hereditary Chiefs, and their determinations and edicts, from the indigenous point of view, override Canadian Law. Matters not related to covid or to seafaring makes this Federal/Indigenous relationship one of extreme delicacy. Best to let sleeping dogs lie at this time!

Non-Canadian yachtsmen, while permitted, under Canadian Law, to transit Canadian waters directly from a US port of departure (meaning Washington State) to a US (meaning Alaskan) port of destination, CANNOT put in to any marina or any other facility on what we normally consider "Canadian" territory, if that marina or facility is located in unceded territory unless the Hereditary Chiefs of that territory give permission.

It is my opinion that given the recent outbreak in Haida Gwai, Chiefs in every unceded territory along the BC coast with refuse to give such permission. The Chiefs of Haida Gwai are already turning Canadians away!

As Mike said, there is not necessarily going to be congruence between the manner in which the Royal Canadian Mounted Police enforces the new policy on land, and the way the CCG (or the RCMP Marine Division) will enforce it at sea.

However, there is wisdom in paying attention both to the Chiefs and to the Canadian Government. The maximum fine that can be levied for breach of the new regulation is three quarters of a MILLION dollars!

TrentePieds

A minor point but note that, unlike their US counterparts, the Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) has no law enforcement role or powers. They are there strictly to assist mariners. They will, however, from time to time transport RCMP officers on CCG vessels on law enforcement missions and/or patrols.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:53   #533

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We were in the San Juan's last week and I saw a great sign:

"Six feet apart or six feet under - - Your choice"

Believe me, "we" (and I use that term loosely) for the most part are trying mightily to observe the rules. At least from what I've observed here in Washington state and on Long Island, NY. It is just the deniers are so freaking loud that they give the appearance that there are more of them than the rest of us. I find myself wanting to apologize for my countrymen...sigh.

The 24 hour news cycle encourages this no matter what side they promote.

How can there be two sides when it comes to science? It's a fact or it's not. I would blame it on age (mine) but the naysayers appear to be younger than I.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:54   #534

Quote:
Of course he'll get away with it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Get away with what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by from Mike earlier
I have no idea what you're babbling about, and clearly neither do you.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 12-08-2020, 09:55   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
How can there be two sides when it comes to science? It's a fact or it's not. I would blame it on age (mine) but the naysayers appear to be younger than I.

Ever since "alternative facts" became a thing somewhere outside of Canada.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:00   #536

It's not the governments responsibility to dictate public response to Covid. People are free to make their own risk assessment and respond as they see fit. The dependency on the government has outpaced it's capabilities. JFK said it best, "ask what you can do for your country, not what your country can do for you"'. Please, take just a little responsibility for yourselves.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:05   #537

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
It's not the governments responsibility to dictate public response to Covid. People are free to make their own risk assessment and respond as they see fit. The dependency on the government has outpaced it's capabilities. JFK said it best, "ask what you can do for your country, not what your country can do for you"'. Please, take just a little responsibility for yourselves.

Why is so hard for Americans to accept that their particular brand of social responsibility is not shared by most of the rest of the world?
Old 12-08-2020, 10:14   #538

Quote:

Why is so hard for Americans to accept that their particular brand of social responsibility is not shared by most of the rest of the world?
We accept it and also accept our brand of social responsibility is the reason for our success.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:15   #539

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
We accept it and also accept our brand of social responsibility is the reason for our success.
Apparently not in Covid management...
Old 12-08-2020, 10:19   #540

Quote:
Apparently not in Covid management...
The US chose a "balanced" approach to Covid management. So far it's working GREAT for my investments. Wish me luck!